Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Most atmospheric games

2»

Comments

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,003
    Torval said:

My immersive game wishlist: Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice, Conarium, MGS:V, Prey, and the new Titan Quest xpac Ragnarok.

Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice

Immersion... The story is direly heartbreaking. The scenery, so grim that I, a lifelong pupil of the darkness, felt suffocated by its ever tightening atmosphere. I had my noise-cancelling REAL stereo headphone on during the game, and they have used a 3D sound system to put sounds RIGHT INTO YOUR BRAIN and oh Lucifer! I indeed went to hell, and the sacrifice was my innocence. I don't think I'll be the same person ever again. 

Highly recommended! This wasn't a game for me but a strange experience.
    Yeah, the atmosphere is just amazing. Probably one of the best. I love the acting as well.
    ConstantineMerus
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • BeansnBreadBeansnBread Member EpicPosts: 7,254
    Torval said:

My immersive game wishlist: Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice, Conarium, MGS:V, Prey, and the new Titan Quest xpac Ragnarok.

Immersion... The story is direly heartbreaking. The scenery, so grim that I, a lifelong pupil of the darkness, felt suffocated by its ever tightening atmosphere. I had my noise-cancelling REAL stereo headphone on during the game, and they have used a 3D sound system to put sounds RIGHT INTO YOUR BRAIN and oh Lucifer! I indeed went to hell, and the sacrifice was my innocence. I don't think I'll be the same person ever again. 

You sold me. I'm going to try this one out.
    ConstantineMerus
    Torval said:

You should definitely do a bit of research. While the atmosphere is amazing and the acting very good, it is a sort of linear puzzle game with a story. Watch a bit and if you like then buy.
    ConstantineMerus[Deleted User]

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

• ShodanasShodanas Member RarePosts: 1,933
    Baldur's Gate II Shadows of Amn
    Knights of the Old Republic I, II
    Elder Scrolls Morrowind
    The Witcher I,II,III

The above list consists of games you can lose yourself in their worlds for dozens of hours.
    Octagon7711
  • ConstantineMerusConstantineMerus Member EpicPosts: 3,338
    Sovrath said:
    Torval said:

You should definitely do a bit of research. While the atmosphere is amazing and the acting very good, it is a sort of linear puzzle game with a story. Watch a bit and if you like then buy.
    Yeah as I said it is an experience, not a game, on so many levels. You expect from Ninja Theory an advanced combat, but it doesn't have since they did not have all the budget of Heavenly Sword to pull something like that off again. Campaign is only about 8 hours, can be done in less. It took me about twice of that, because I just kept standing in places and stared into the distance and listened to the voices and sounds. 

Although it might look very different, but you can compare this type of game to The Last Guardian, Journey, or even Inside. 

I loved it for all of the above, and for doing something different, something new. Showing what can be done and achieved through a video game, as a medium, to do poetry, to tell a story, to affect and relay deepest human emotions. A transcendent experience.

Man... I am going to do another replay now. Babye then. 
    Sovrath
    Constantine, The Console Poster

• "One of the most difficult tasks men can perform, however much others may despise it, is the invention of good games and it cannot be done by men out of touch with their instinctive selves." - Carl Jung
  • BabuinixBabuinix Member EpicPosts: 4,265
    edited November 2017
    Talonsin said:
    Babuinix said:
    Probably Star Citizen,

once it's more fleshed out. 
    I think he was referring to games you could actually play, not marketing videos.

Now before you go flying off the handle, tell me how much of what is in that video is currently playable on the public server?
    There you go son, I thought you'd never ask:

• laxielaxie Member RarePosts: 1,118
    Immersion is closely tied to story/lore in my case. If a game has a compelling world and a strong storyline, I'll get lost in it.

I remember being in the middle of my Dragon Age: Inquisition play through. Took a break to go for a quick McDonalds, no time to waste on cooking when the fate of the world is in question. As I'm waiting in the queue, my mind is thinking who else in the fast food joint to try recruit into my warband, after all, the threat we are facing is no joke. Then I realised this is McDonalds and I'm in the real world.
    [Deleted User]dougha1
  • cjmarshcjmarsh Member UncommonPosts: 299
    7 Days to Die - A zombie post-apocalyptic survival game featuring open worlds (one pre-made and the option for random generation) and a surprisingly deep looting and crafting system. A strong modding community gives the game further longevity. Valmod is my recommendation after playing through at least once.

Assassin's Creed IV Black Flag - Despite the horendous DRM (Digital Rights Management) that is Ubisoft's Uplay, this title conveys a surprisingly good open world pirate gameplay experience. All of the Assassin's Creed series are at worst decent but the combined lore from the long-lived series makes for some compelling, though not always great, story-telling and atmosphere building.

Baldur's Gate II: Enhanced Edition - One of the greatest games of all time, this RPG is modelled after Dungeons and Dragons mechanics and has all of the story and plot resulting from that rich lore base. Further, the gorgeous 2D artwork makes for some impressive scenery, despite its age. It also features excellent tactical team-based combat and is often immitated by all classical computer RPGs.

Deus Ex: Human Revolution - A sci-fi stealth rpg focusing on multiple paths to complete each mission. The story is alright but its real strength comes in the world building it pulls off so well. The detail and effort put into creating its futuristic streets plagued by the burgeoning conflict between those with and without machine enhancements is worth experiencing for its own sake.

Divinity: Original Sin 2 - Despite a strong streak of campy humor that didn't do much for me personally, this is an excellent game by all accounts. A fantasy RPG with a unique storyline and world, if you're a fan of these types of games at all I recommend at least giving it a try.

Dragon Age: Inquisition - Though EA's acquisition of Bioware has led to a subtle and unpopular change in direction, mostly in its monetization practices, the developer is still a master of RPGs with sweeping storylines and intriguing worlds. The real strength of this particular title doesn't come from the story itself, however, it comes from the detail and background of the supporting companion characters.

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim - One of the largest open worlds in any video game, it contains some truly impressive vistas only enhanced by a vibrant modding community. The storyline isn't the most interesting but the real draw of the game is the incredible amount of content to approach and the freedom to tackle it in whatever order you want.

Expeditions: Viking - A turn-based tactical game with RPG elements in a surprisingly interesting world. You play a Viking leading a clan to riches and glory with an option of which path to take to get there. The rarely seen Norse mythology is deep and provides a backdrop to interactions that is refreshingly different from the norm.

Fable Anniversary - This RPG follows you as you grow up into a Hero (or Villain) and is one of the first games I can recall playing that had meaningful choices as part of the gameplay. This version improves on the dated graphics a bit but its charm comes more from the tongue-in-cheek humor of the fantasy setting.

Fallout 4 - Though Bethesda has received quite a bad rap for some of their monetization practices (Deservedly so, IMO) they still have managed to create some truly impressive games. Fallout 4, and indeed the entire series, really does give a feeling of existing in a post-apocalyptic world. If the setting is at all interesting to you I highly recommend it.

The Forest - A survival game that pits you against some fairly scary monsters while you try to build a shelter and find improved weapons. The atmosphere is quite good in this title, building a fire to see at night only to be hunted by the zombie-like creatures slowly stalking into the light one at a time is quite the experience.

Jade Empire - Perhaps the least known title by Bioware this is a unique RPG. The setting is distinctly asian in inspiration and fits well with the martial artist themed story. The game is certainly dated by today's standards but the world it portrayed was interesting enough to stick with me for a long time.

Metro 2033 - One of the most atmospheric shooters I've every played. Based in Russia, the world has retreated underground after a nuclear apocalypse. The dreary existence it portrays is nothing short of artful and its a pretty good game too.

Pillars of Eternity - A classical fantasy RPG in the spirit of Baldur's Gate, the developers used new technology to render very high resolution models into background art for some beautiful scenery. The game itself is also very good and though the main story didn't feel very impactful, the plethora of side quests and size of the world more than made up for it.

Ryse: Son of Rome - This action game set in Roman times has a very short story, beating the single player game took me maybe 6 hours, but the story, atmosphere, and world building were so good that I actually didn't mind. They could have easily made it longer but honestly the brevity of the story made it more impactful.

Shadowrun: Hong Kong - This science fiction tactical RPG features some really amazing artwork. Though its 2D, it is all hand drawn and the attention to detail really shows through. You play as what is basically an underground mercenary and many of the missions and the dialogue in them involves intriguing ethical dilemnas.

Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic II - An older game but easily one of the best ever made. You play a hero who gains the opportunity to become a Jedi, or a Sith depending on your choices. If you enjoy RPGs or Star Wars at all, I'd recommend giving it a try. The first one is also excellent.

Star Wars: The Old Republic - This MMO has the best story of any on the market, with the incredibly detailed world building of the Star Wars franchise to support it. The combat is mostly very easy and the style of the graphics isn't for everyone but if you get past those aspects the world can be very absorbing.

The Division - Another MMO, this one is different from the norm, a post-apocalyptic shooter. It lacks end-game content and the story isn't all that great but the world building is top-notch. The atmosphere, despite being that of a modern city laid low by a devestating plague, is quite amazing and very well done.

The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt - Another contender for the best game of all time, this dark fantasy RPG has good storytelling and phenominal world building. The setting is a brutal and callous fantasy world far from the usual trope and you play a monster hunter for hire who is generally reviled and despised by the populace. A very interesting game and one I strongly recommend if you're into RPGs at all.

X3 - A sweeping space sandbox sim, this game is the reason that X:Rebirth was seen as such a failure of a sequel. It is very difficult to learn but one of the few games that gives you a real sense of freedom to build and explore in space. It has very little in the way of lore or story but there are a large number of systems to explore.
    d_20
  • d_20d_20 Member RarePosts: 1,878
    Awesome answers! 

I have some of these games and I will look into a bunch more of those listed.
    ConstantineMerus

• PhaserlightPhaserlight Member EpicPosts: 3,072
    edited November 2017
    Babuinix said:
    Probably Star Citizen,

once it's more fleshed out. 
    I agree but MMORPG loves to hate on Star citizen so becareful
    I'd say MMORPG.com permits a healthy dose of skepticism.  Quite frankly, I would prefer that to this.

"The simple is the seal of the true and beauty is the splendor of truth" -Subrahmanyan Chandrasekhar
    Authored 139 missions in Vendetta Online and 6 tracks in Distance

• dougha1dougha1 Member UncommonPosts: 152
    laxie said:
    Immersion is closely tied to story/lore in my case. If a game has a compelling world and a strong storyline, I'll get lost in it.

I remember being in the middle of my Dragon Age: Inquisition play through. Took a break to go for a quick McDonalds, no time to waste on cooking when the fate of the world is in question. As I'm waiting in the queue, my mind is thinking who else in the fast food joint to try recruit into my warband, after all, the threat we are facing is no joke. Then I realised this is McDonalds and I'm in the real world.
    Had pretty much the same experience during my first play-through of Morrowind, once the main quest of kicked into high gear. Scary.
    laxie
    This forum is broken. It is time to move to proboards, because they're broken.
    dougha1 said:
    laxie said:

Had pretty much the same experience during my first play-through of Morrowind, once the main quest of kicked into high gear. Scary.
    Once had my character wait by the side of one of the Vivec Cantons and just watch the sun go down. Never seen anything like that in a video game at that time.

Really love that game. Well, so much so I've started another play through.
    d_20

• ConstantineMerusConstantineMerus Member EpicPosts: 3,338
    Sovrath said:
    dougha1 said:
    laxie said:

Once had my character wait by the side of one of the Vivec Cantons and just watch the sun go down. Never seen anything like that in a video game at that time.

I had the exact same experience, went completely bananas. 

Another immersive part when I realized I could rob/kill shop owners, although not sure if that was Morrowind or an earlier title. 
    Constantine, The Console Poster

• "One of the most difficult tasks men can perform, however much others may despise it, is the invention of good games and it cannot be done by men out of touch with their instinctive selves." - Carl Jung
    Sovrath said:
    dougha1 said:
    laxie said:

Another immersive part when I realized I could rob/kill shop owners, although not sure if that was Morrowind or an earlier title. 
    You can rob/kill shop owners! You can actually rob kill everyone. Unlike the later Elder Scrolls games, none of the characters are essential. You do get a message indicating that there are quests you can't do since you've killed the character. This game you the choice to open a previous save and change your mind if you wanted.

Another great experience (which I have mentioned before on this site) is that I was playing a vampire. I was flying over Balmora when suddenly I realized the sun was coming up. I freaked as there was no place to go. So, low flying, I headed east and scanned the ground for a cave or ruin where I could seek shelter. Then I started receiving damage as the sun was creeping above the horizon. Finally, with a last bit of health I saw a tomb and headed right down to it, escaping into it with a sliver of health (I had used my health potions if memory serves).

One of my best gaming moments.

edited November 2017
    Gorwe said:
    Sovrath said:
    Sovrath said:
    dougha1 said:
    laxie said:

You can rob/kill shop owners! You can actually rob kill everyone. Unlike the later Elder Scrolls games, none of the characters are essential. You do get a message indicating that there are quests you can't do since you've killed the character. This game you the choice to open a previous save and change your mind if you wanted.

Another great experience (which I have mentioned before on this site) is that I was playing a vampire. I was flying over Balmora when suddenly I realized the sun was coming up. I freaked as there was no place to go. So, low flying, I headed east and scanned the ground for a cave or ruin where I could seek shelter. Then I started receiving damage as the sun was creeping above the horizon. Finally, with a last bit of health I saw a tomb and headed right down to it, escaping into it with a sliver of health (I had used my health potions if memory serves).

One of my best gaming moments.
    Let me just take this moment to go totally off topic and ask: "Best Great House?"
    While I played characters in each of the houses (if memory serves) at the time I gravitated to Hlaalu. Though I thought the Redoran architecture was the most beautiful.

I also killed Vivec. Which for me is interesting as my character is the exact same character in all the games (sort of like the immortal centurion) and I just finished the main quest in the morrowind expansion of Elder Scrolls Online.

So you actually work "for" Vivec (and to save Vivec) in that game. I find this dramatically interesting as later I kill him.
    Gorwe

• Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    I'm surprised no one mentioned Half-Life 2.  It was a very immersive game with a well done story.  Also Vampire: Bloodlines, rushed out before it was ready and yet remains a cult favorite, with people working on patches to this day.

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

I'm surprised no one mentioned Half-Life 2.  It was a very immersive game with a well done story.  Also Vampire: Bloodlines, rushed out before it was ready and yet remains a cult favorite, with people working on patches to this day.
    You are correct, Vampire Bloodlines has great atmosphere. Hmmm, I should start a play through of that as well.

• TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297
    edited November 2017
    Gorwe said:
    I'll mention a not very well known game: The Incredible Adventures of van Helsing. Check it out!
    I liked it. I'm a big aRPG fan.

I kept hitting a bug in the final cut release though and couldn't progress the story quest. It fully breaks the game due to a blocked passage. Still hasn't been fixed. Weird because it doesn't seem to happen to everyone but happens to me every time I play it. Something must trigger it. I complete and explore everything before that point so something I complete might be doing it. Finding out what causes it would take far too long. Other than that I think it's great. Not the best, but good. Tries to do lots of new things like tower/base defence and the sending people on timed missions and such.

On topic, the atmosphere of the game is excellent and it's worth playing just for the dialogue.
    I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
  • HothloveHothlove Member UncommonPosts: 126
    Dont forget Kingdoms of Amalur and Mass Effect Andromeda.
    [Deleted User]
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,955
    MMO, Lotro. Solo game, Bioshock.
  • Sid_ViciousSid_Vicious Member RarePosts: 2,177
    When I think "atmospheric" I think of an open world game that doesn't focus on the PVE story line and is more about exploring... so Darkfall (New Dawn just released 1/28/2018), EVE, Conan Exiles, UO, .... that is all that comes to mind because everything else has died pretty much... guess you could play the original EQ still... 95% of the games out there feel more like watching a movie than something that feels atmospheric.

NEWS FLASH! "A bank was robbed the other day and a man opened fire on the customers being held hostage. One customer zig-zag sprinted until he found cover. When questioned later he explained that he was a hardcore gamer and knew just what to do!" Download my music for free! I release several albums per month as part of project "Thee Untitled" . .. some video game music remixes and cover songs done with instruments in there as well! http://theeuntitled.bandcamp.com/ Check out my roleplaying blog, collection of fictional short stories, and fantasy series... updated on a blog for now until I am finished! https://childrenfromtheheavensbelow.blogspot.com/ Watch me game on occasion or make music... https://www.twitch.tv/spoontheeuntitled and subscribe! https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCUvqULn678VrF3OasgnbsyA

• CIB3CIB3 Member UncommonPosts: 121
    Fallen Earth...   was and still is one of most immersive and fun games. I not longer play it, but this game was a great experience for me. 
  • Pr3sid3ntSkr00bPr3sid3ntSkr00b Member UncommonPosts: 53
    Zelda series.  Soulsborne series.  Metroids.  Resident Evil.  Elder Scrolls series.  Fallouts.  Mario series.  Doom series. Warcraft series.
  • lahnmirlahnmir Member LegendaryPosts: 5,041
    Torval said:

Was about to post this, suffocating and gut wrenching if you let it. And in a strange way very honest and vulnerable.

Also RE7, Bloodborne, Dark Souls 1 and 3, FFIX, Skies of Arcadia. But nothing like Hellblade really.

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    'the only way he could nail it any better is if he used a cross.'

Kyleran on yours sincerely 

'But there are many. You can play them entirely solo, and even offline. Also, you are wrong by default.'

Ikcin in response to yours sincerely debating whether or not single-player offline MMOs exist...

'This does not apply just to ED but SC or any other game. What they will get is Rebirth/X4, likely prettier but equally underwhelming and pointless. 

It is incredibly difficult to design some meaningfull leg content that would fit a space ship game - simply because it is not a leg game.

It is just huge resource waste....'

Gdemami absolutely not being an armchair developer