Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Account Harsh Ban for improper naming?

pupurunpupurun Member UncommonPosts: 561
I just created an account in FF XIV to do a free trial. I created a couple of chars..played for almost 1 day and today , just for the laughs, i created a new char and was trying a lot of funny names , just to test the game's naming policy...And boy its loose....The minute i typed ''Adolf Hittler''(their creation actually allows a toothbrush moustache :/ ) and the client accepted it! I was really suprised and of course i could just erase the char but  i new that soon someone would report me and the GMs would force me to chane it....LIKE IT HAPPENS TO ALL MMOS(and trust me i ve played them all) . But then BAM. I realised i was banned (3.5 Naming Right). Oh well ..i WAS asking for it tbh and i suppose SE is a much stricter company than..let's say Blizzard. So i went to my e-mail and there i see that i have received a 216 HOUR BAN (9 DAYS !!!) which is eligible for perma ban as well (on a one day old free account  lol) . Are they serious?  9 days ban for that? I ve played mobas that give 1-3 days ban for harassing and using racist remarks. What was even funnier was that they even accused me of : 3.3 Profanity and Offensive Language  which is hilariously stupid cause that char had a life span of 2 hours tops and i didnt even type ANYTHING to any chat tab .   Any opinions or past experiences?

Comments

• WoeToTheVanquishedWoeToTheVanquished Member UncommonPosts: 276
    edited November 2017
    Once upon a time, I got banned from Lineage 1 (NCsoft) for PKing a botter. PKing was a mechanic in the game, and I didn't need justification to initiate pvp. The player had a gibberish name -- such as "Djafnskfjedm" -- as all L1 farmers did the same thing. I asked the player if they were there (active at their PC/client) because they were hunting (moving around and firing arrows), and of course they never responded. So I killed them. One of countless Chinese botters on the server at the time. 

I was later banned for harassment. A permanent ban that support wouldn't discuss with me. All they clarified was that it was reported by the particular player.

Years later I requested an unbanning of my account and their support team couldn't find a reason regarding why I was initially banned -- therefore they unbanned me.

My tinfoil hat theories regarding why they banned me:
    a) Lineage 1 was doing so poorly that NCsoft couldn't afford to lose the botting playerbase.
    b) Maybe a Monitor was botting that character? 
    Post edited by WoeToTheVanquished on
    pupurunConstantineMerusMrMelGibson
  • ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
    GJ by SE , pretty foolish ,racist and insensitive to even joke ..  " Just for laughs".... you did that huh  .. Seems the last laugh is on you .. They should of perma banned the acct imo
    Phryd_20DragnelusKyleranAvarix[Deleted User]IselinTheelyMrMelGibsonDaranarand 1 other.
  • pupurunpupurun Member UncommonPosts: 561
    Scorchien said:
    GJ by SE , pretty foolish ,racist and insensitive to even joke ..  " Just for laughs".... you did that huh  .. Seems the last laugh is on you .. They should of perma banned the acct imo
    The fact that most mmos would not allow inputing such names and also the fact that most mmos just block your login forcing you to change the name doesn't make you see anything strange here? Or the fake accusation of harrasing?
  • RexKushmanRexKushman Member RarePosts: 639
    I have less than zero tolerance for online trolls and idiots who are only out to offend people for laughs so I applaud any company that takes an aggressive stance against people like the OP. 
    d_20ForgrimmAzothKyleranpupurunAvarixTheelyMightyUncleanMrMelGibsonkb4blu

• ElsaboltsElsabolts Member RarePosts: 3,476
    In my opion a perma - ban is in order for OP and have emailed the such on there forums.
    " Life Liberty and the Pursuit of Those Who  Would Threaten It "
                                            MAGA
  • k61977k61977 Member EpicPosts: 1,503
    Personally OP I think it should have been a straight out perm ban with no chance for an appeal.  You can't complain because you straight out said you knew you where doing something that was unacceptable.

The fact that they gave you the tools to go ahead and hang yourself was great in my opinion.  It allows them to weed out the ones who most likely shouldn't be there to begin with.  Rather see them let people do this then punish the hell out of them for it, for stupidity.

Doing things like that just to get kicks at other people misfortune or because you think it is funny is part of the problem with people today.  When an appropriate action is taken against a person doing this they think it is extreme, when in fact what they got wasn't normally extreme enough.
    ScorchienForgrimm[Deleted User]MrMelGibson
  • TalulaRoseTalulaRose Member RarePosts: 1,247
    edited November 2017
    "i created a new char and was trying a lot of funny names , just to test the game's naming policy...And boy its loose....The minute i typed ''Adolf Hittler''(their creation actually allows a toothbrush moustache  ) and the client accepted it! I was really suprised and of course i could just erase the char but  i new that soon someone would report me"

You  knew what you were doing and did it anyways...accept the consequences of your actions like an adult.

They should ban you here for 9 days as well.

ForgrimmBattleSaint[Deleted User]TheelyJeffSpicoli
  • kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,919
    You have the audacity to complain.
    ForgrimmKyleran

• d_20d_20 Member RarePosts: 1,878
    It's not a fake accusation of harassment. It is harassment.

I'm not going to bother to explain it to OP in this venue, because if he doesn't understand it without an explanation, he wouldn't understand it with an explanation.

Forgrimm[Deleted User]IselinMrMelGibson

I never said i dont deserve a FAIR punishement.....But if permabanning for a name is fair then..should we execute the ones that behave within racist and sexist manners?Like think a little guys...

pupurun said:
    I never said i dont deserve a FAIR punishement.....But if permabanning for a name is fair then..should we execute the ones that behave within racist and sexist manners?Like think a little guys...

let me get this straight .. you took the time to create a character with a highly offensive name , got banned ...

And your asking us to think a little ...

And execute ... huh ... but being suspended or losing your job (perma banned ) for such behavior , does not need to be thought about ............does it
    XarkoForgrimmd_20Kyleran[Deleted User]TheelyMrMelGibson
  • XarkoXarko Member EpicPosts: 1,180
    Scorchien said:
     a highly offensive name

Have a LOL, Scorch.
  • RenoakuRenoaku Member EpicPosts: 3,157
    edited November 2017
    Well people need to kinda forget world history, and what if a persons real life name was actually that name the OP talks about I wonder if they would allow it then with proof of ID?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QZ7KP3yrXDw

Hopefully in another 100 years or so all the bad world history will go away and world peace will come.
    RexKushmanScorchienKylerankb4blu
  • ConstantineMerusConstantineMerus Member EpicPosts: 3,338
    Renoaku said:
    Well people need to kinda forget world history, and what if a persons real life name was actually that name the OP talks about I wonder if they would allow it then with proof of ID?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QZ7KP3yrXDw

Hopefully in another 100 years or so all the bad world history will go away and world peace will come.
    I dunno man. I once beat the crap out of someone because his name was John. People are edgy! ;)
    Xarko[Deleted User]
    Constantine, The Console Poster

• "One of the most difficult tasks men can perform, however much others may despise it, is the invention of good games and it cannot be done by men out of touch with their instinctive selves." - Carl Jung
  • ByrgenarHofenByrgenarHofen Member UncommonPosts: 55
    Look's to me like the idiot filter that SE use is working.
    ScorchienkitaradRexKushmand_20KyleranXarkoIselinTheely[Deleted User]MrMelGibson
  • RexKushmanRexKushman Member RarePosts: 639
    edited November 2017
    Renoaku said:
    Well people need to kinda forget world history
    Your posts are usually pretty good but this is one of the worst pieces of advice I have ever seen in my life. Remembering and learning from our history is one of the key ways we make sure we continue to move forward as a society
    Scorchiend_20KyleranTheely

• GrandpaDJGrandpaDJ Member UncommonPosts: 132
    pupurun said:

Why do YOU get to decide hat is a fair punishment. That is the company's responsibility and they have done so. Offenders don't decide what is a fair punishment....
  • ChicagoCubChicagoCub Member UncommonPosts: 381
    When I was young I touched a hot stove.  It burned me pretty bad and it took quite a long time to heal.  I didn't blame the stove.  I didn't complain that the burn was too severe.  I knew it was my fault and I decided not to touch a hot stove ever again.   Hope this helps.
    IselinMrMelGibson
  • AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    SE is well within their right to do what they do since it is their IP, so I'm a little miffed at the point of this thread. Saying that, I wont particularly side with them since they have had some shady practices in the past with me and my dealings with FFXI. Such as when I was hacked (which they offer a one time roll back if you did not have their security token at the time) and wasn't refunded the 25$ cost of the transfer that occurred during the hacking. Its kind of funny when I phoned them about 2-3 years later about another issue, I brought up the status of the refund for the transfer and they said they were not obligated to give a time frame on refunds. Another issue happened with my friend who ordered their security token when it first came out and was shipped broken. SE neither refunded him the money for it or shipped him a new one, saying their were not responsible for the condition that items arrive to the consumer. These are incidence that have occurred 6+ years ago though so I'm sure service has changed (hopefully). Heck, FFXI still has a duplicate bug in salvage that they've known about for years and will ban you for using it without even bothering to fix it. So I think they've done worse things than giving excessive ban times for stuff people obviously knew was against ToS.
    Omg guys you are so repressed. I m not a nazi douchebag and i do not like being treated as one.
      I saw the toothbrush moustache during creation, had a laugh with a friend..tried the name for fun..never expected to pass through...It did...End of story...What i did,CANT compare with actual in game racist and sexist comments and behaviour that gets more lenient bans. Thats all i m saying. And i trully don't care about the account cause as i said ITS A FREE TRIAL. The reason i created the post was to show the disproportional penalties SE applies. You all act as holier than though as if you never fooled around in an online world. And noone yet has answered my question. If using an improper name deserves a perma ban what do racist and sexist behaviours do DESERVE?  The same?  If yes, aren't you equalising a stupid fucking name (its a name after all - it's not as if i named him ''f**yourM*m) to a deliberate, insulting and completely conscious harassment with sexism or racism ingame that usually gets a warning or a 3 day ban from the same freeking company. This is where you are asked to think. NOT IF HITLER WAS A BAD GUY. I think we all KNOW some history and me paraphrasing his name does not constitute his beliefs as my own.
    [Deleted User]
  • k61977k61977 Member EpicPosts: 1,503
    pupurun said:

Create a hyperbole much.  Yes perma-banning is actually a fair an just punishment for willfully creating something like you did in a game.  The difference is you got banned from a game for doing something stupid, but in your eyes it is the same as going out and killing someone.
    pupurun
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    edited November 2017
    Well i feel it is just,you admit that you asked for it and obviously everyone knows Hitler and what that name stands for,so you were purposely causing strife to anyone who cared.

Harsh?Not imo.

Overall as mentioned above SE is a weird entity but as we have seen just in game design ideas,they are a different culture over there,we should expect ideals to be different than ours.I find the gamer's themselves to be verry much different as well,so yeah all is good for me and you down in mexico "Edward Bear" :P

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• RenoakuRenoaku Member EpicPosts: 3,157
    edited November 2017
    Renoaku said:
    Well people need to kinda forget world history
    Your posts are usually pretty good but this is one of the worst pieces of advice I have ever seen in my life. Remembering and learning from our history is one of the key ways we make sure we continue to move forward as a society
    Yeah I mean learning from history is one thing, but shaming a person doesn't have to be the name hitler, could be many other names for example if my name was bob, and another person named bob did a major act of terror, that wouldn't get treated as bad as the name hitler generally speaking.

There are generally a lot of bad things that happened in world history, talking about like the Native Americans, World War 1 & 2, and learning from mistakes to move forward is a great thing, but countries, and even the barrier between cultures and stuff doesn't seem to move on, and in some cases I have learn from personal experiences that somtimes because of history things may not even fully change for a few hundred years if even then.

Also the history of "genghis khan" many people seem to have forgotten this over the many number of years as well, I wonder if I would get banned for using this name because Age of Empires used to be one of my favorite RTS games.

There is also so much forgotten world history that has been lost over the 5000+ Years, yet most people who take school only know or think they know about like the first pilgrims 1620, and such, but what about day 0, there is so much forgotten and who knows what society would be like if everyone knew the actual world history of everything assuming someone didn't just hit the reset button to begin with.

Not that I believe history as it's fully taught anyways because it depends which side your on, how you look at it and there's so many general conspiracies that go around the world history as well.

It's kinda like that Flat earth debate where people say the earth is flat, it makes sense, and it doesn't because science says the earth is round, but then there are so many unproven theories that also make sense too that it could be flat but that goes beyond science.

He should just be glad that his account was only a trial account and he didn't waste money on it it's only a 9 day ban too assuming he changes the name, or starts another account I don't think they will life ban it assuming he changes the name and doesn't do it again.
    [Deleted User]MrMelGibson
    Comparing the name Bob to Adolf Hitler .. is a reach to say the least ..

There are very few RL names that people should be smart enough to not use ..Bob isnt one of them and makes your stance weak at best ...

Anyhow this thread is being derailed into areas that will get it locked ...
    pupurun
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,505
    pupurun said:

You all act as holier than though as if you never fooled around in an online world. n.
    Yes, I am holier than thou and have never even considered doing something such as you did.

My idea of pressing the limits was naming a character after a music band once (Tragically Hip) knowing it would test the policy against using commercial names.  They let me keep it.

I suspect one reason for the harsh ban is you were on a free account, so as you are not yet a paying customer they feel there's nothing really lost here.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon