Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Not so mmorpg] Amazon announces Lord of the Rings TV adaptation

DragnelusDragnelus Member EpicPosts: 3,503
https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2017/nov/13/lord-of-the-rings-amazon-tv-show-confirmed

Maybe with a good lotro promotion this will boost players online?

Comments

• TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297
    You need to play on the Evernight server because it's absolutely full of people.

I'm looking forward to seeing what this TV show is like though. If it's terrible, so what? I'll just ignore it. Rather there's a chance of getting a good series than none at all.
    I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
  • SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
    edited November 2017
    From yesterday at GameSpace:

https://www.gamespace.com/all-articles/news/amazon-lord-of-the-rings-series/?utm_source=mmorpg&utm_campaign=homepagebox

Did you know there was a GameSpace.com news feed on the front page, right side? ;)
    DragnelusConstantineMerus

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

• DragnelusDragnelus Member EpicPosts: 3,503
    SBFord said:
    From yesterday at GameSpace:

https://www.gamespace.com/all-articles/news/amazon-lord-of-the-rings-series/?utm_source=mmorpg&utm_campaign=homepagebox

Did you know there was a GameSpace.com news feed on the front page, right side? ;)
    99% of the time I watch the site (mmorpg.com) on mobile :smile:

• DKLondDKLond Member RarePosts: 2,273
    Too much money involved for them to take a risk. They're also not doing Hobbit/LotR - meaning most of it will probably not be Tolkien - just "inspired" by him.

Can't really see anything to get excited by, but you never really know.
  • Po_ggPo_gg Member EpicPosts: 5,749
    edited November 2017
    Dragnelus said:
    Maybe with a good lotro promotion this will boost players online?
    Doubt it - besides the slight increase due to word-of-mouth newcomers, out of curiousity.
    As others already stated (on different sites :wink: ) the wording of the announcement is at least interesting, not a hint about SZC... Not to mention WB haven't done any cross-promotions even when it was in their interest, now that they have nothing to do with LotRO, why would they now?
    And if you think SSG should make some "guerilla marketing" attaching themselves to the show, my bet is on they don't have the resources to risk a lawsuit against WB and Bezos and the Estate combined :wink:

So nope, I'm pretty sure there won't be any promos regarding LotRO, from neither side, in relation to the show.

And of course it would be pointless too. The game is around the books, while the show will be (most likely, based on the careful wording of the announcement) gap-filling events and sidestories leading to the events in the Hobbit, but not touching it due to licensing. There's a chance they won't even touch the Appendices, just using it as a background and will tell totally original stories. Hope that won't be the case and they will use them somewhat, I think it will be around the late Third Age, with made-up characters and their daily lives, somehow connecting to the written events.
    (for example in a similar way like the players help reforge Narsil in LotRO)

And with WB in the mix I guess there will be game ties and promos, just unfortunately those will be either mobile games, or a new "assassin's creed in Mordor" crap.
  • Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686
    Actually the main story o lotro, would be perfect for a tv series, most of it is that good, it does not alienate from the main story, but makes you feel part of it..

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

• ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
    Exciting news , so much story and lore left to explore thru a series
  • flizzerflizzer Member RarePosts: 2,454
     LOTRO is an older game and it is always the new and shiny that people want to play so I doubt it.

• ChicagoCubChicagoCub Member UncommonPosts: 381
    DKLond said:
    Too much money involved for them to take a risk. They're also not doing Hobbit/LotR - meaning most of it will probably not be Tolkien - just "inspired" by him.

When have you ever seen a show, book, game, anything that was "inspired" by Tolkien's work?  The answer of course is never and that because Tolkien's work is one of the most protected and strictly regulated IP's ever.  Its the reason there is no opposing faction in LOTRO.  Its the reason you will never, ever, see Aragorn:  A Lord of the Rings Story (I'm looking at you Lucas).
  • Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    DKLond said:

They did skip out a lot from the books so I assume fillers like Tom Bombadill together with new material (probably of lower quality) as the main focus.

Most of it will probably be so-so unless they actually hire in some really talented people of course. 

I don't see how it will affect LOTROs sub numbers though. Maybe some older players get inpired and start playing again but I don't see tons of new players getting into a 10 years old MMO just because the IP is getting new exposure.