Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Kingston Digital UV400 - 960GB SSDNow: A Great Game Drive - MMORPG.com

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
edited November 2017 in News & Features Discussion

imageKingston Digital UV400 - 960GB SSDNow: A Great Game Drive - MMORPG.com

It’s always fun to upgrade from a regular HDD to a new shiny SSD with the insanely increased read/write speeds. With that in mind, Kingston sent along their new UV400 960GB SSD Upgrade Kit. Is the big price tag for the SSD worth the size and speed? Read on for our review.

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• 3dom3dom Member RarePosts: 889
    edited November 2017
    22 years ago I've purchased 1Gb HDD for ~600$. And those were 90s dollars i.e. 2+ times more valuable than today's version.
    Most common question from friends back then was - why do I need that much disk space?
    >.<
    edit: my own story made me wonder - what kind of (apparently) petabyte drive technology we'll see 15-20 years later? Quantum anti-dark-matter flux capacitors?
    BillMurphyDeadSpockThupli

Thank you for your time!

• VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,888
    @BillMurphy
    Now, onto the tests! You’ll notice that the Kingston UV400 still comes in below the amazing performance of the Western Digital Black PCIe and the WD Blue NAND SSD, but right in line a lot of the times with the Crucial BX300.
    How are we supposed to notice that? Test results for Western Digital drives aren't in any of the charts.

• BillMurphyBillMurphy Former Managing EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 4,565

Vrika said:

@BillMurphy

Now, onto the tests! You’ll notice that the Kingston UV400 still comes in below the amazing performance of the Western Digital Black PCIe and the WD Blue NAND SSD, but right in line a lot of the times with the Crucial BX300.

How are we supposed to notice that? Test results for Western Digital drives aren't in any of the charts.

Yep, that's my bad! Old data I was looking at. Here's the WD drive: http://www.mmorpg.com/hardware-reviews/wd-blue-3d-nand-ssd-wd-goes-3d-1000011931

Try to be excellent to everyone you meet. You never know what someone else has seen or endured.

My Review Manifesto
    Follow me on Twitter if you dare.

• AonevmAonevm Member UncommonPosts: 26
    edited November 2017
    why not compare against something fast like Samsung 850 EVO ?
    Apridise
  • ApridiseApridise Member UncommonPosts: 72
    edited November 2017

Aonevm said:

Or the 1tb version that is 300.00 on Amazon which is still cheaper the the 370.00 suggested retail of this one. https://smile.amazon.com/Samsung-2-5-Inch-Internal-MZ-75E1T0B-AM/
  • ForgrimmForgrimm Member EpicPosts: 3,059
    Apridise said:

Aonevm said:

Or the 1tb version that is 300.00 on Amazon which is still cheaper the the 370.00 suggested retail of this one. https://smile.amazon.com/Samsung-2-5-Inch-Internal-MZ-75E1T0B-AM/
    Link is dead.
  • postlarvalpostlarval Member EpicPosts: 2,003
    Aonevm said:
    Fast? lol

540 write is slow to the point of hilarity. My 2TB SSD in my 2017 MacBook Pro clocks in at 2022/2989 write/read (advertised @ 2100/3100)

You’d probably be better off investing in sandstone and a chisel. 

edited November 2017
    Aonevm said:
    Fast? lol

540 write is slow to the point of hilarity. My 2TB SSD in my 2017 MacBook Pro clocks in at 2022/2989 write/read (advertised @ 2100/3100)

MacBook Pro is in completely different price range. Storage increase from 256GB to 2TB costs $1 400, compared to Samsung 850 EVO which costs about $700 for 2TB model.

Assuming that you can make 1 chisel mark to every square millimeter you'd need about 16 square kilometers of sandstone to replace 2TB hard drive.

• PhelimReaghPhelimReagh Member UncommonPosts: 682
    edited November 2017
    That's some serious off the cuff mathematical comeback-age.
  • PhelimReaghPhelimReagh Member UncommonPosts: 682
    edited November 2017
    NVM
  • postlarvalpostlarval Member EpicPosts: 2,003
    Vrika said:
    Aonevm said:
    Fast? lol

MacBook Pro is in completely different price range. Storage increase from 256GB to 2TB costs $1 400, compared to Samsung 850 EVO which costs about $700 for 2TB model.

Assuming that you can make 1 chisel mark to every square millimeter you'd need about 16 square kilometers of sandstone to replace 2TB hard drive.
    So I'm paying twice as much to get four times the read/write speeds. Sounds like a great deal. Glad I took it.
    Ozmodan

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    edited November 2017
    With how big games are today i cant really justify paying $375 to fit 8 games or less.

At this point i value capacity over speed.I dont mind the price, but for like 3 Tera, not less than 1.
    If i have to install games on an external HDD then why spend so much money on an SSD. That applies for both my PC and PS4.

• AlakeyAlakey Member CommonPosts: 3
    If to compare with other SSDs that are defined as popular - https://www.bestadvisers.co.uk/ssds - the benefits on the face. Just not quite clear for me - how does SSD will help exactly with the performance of games. SSD has a higher data transfer speed than HDD. That all. In games, only the load will be accelerated. Hmmm. Or am I do not understand smth?
    Alakey said:
    If to compare with other SSDs that are defined as popular - https://www.bestadvisers.co.uk/ssds - the benefits on the face. Just not quite clear for me - how does SSD will help exactly with the performance of games. SSD has a higher data transfer speed than HDD. That all. In games, only the load will be accelerated. Hmmm. Or am I do not understand smth?
    Only the loading times will be accelerated, but the difference is so large that your computer feels better to use. Area transitions, loading a game to retry, switching from game to browser, discord, or similar application and then back, opening menus within game, and many other actions have a delay if you're using HDD.

You don't pay much attention to the delay because you've gotten used to it, and you can game perfectly well without having an SSD, but once you have an SSD using the computer feels so much better that you'll never want to switch away from it.

• AlakeyAlakey Member CommonPosts: 3
    edited November 2017

Vrika said:

Alakey said:

Only the loading times will be accelerated, but the difference is so large that your computer feels better to use. Area transitions, loading a game to retry, switching from game to browser, discord, or similar application and then back, opening menus within game, and many other actions have a delay if you're using HDD.

You don't pay much attention to the delay because you've gotten used to it, and you can game perfectly well without having an SSD, but once you have an SSD using the computer feels so much better that you'll never want to switch away from it.

Thanks for the answer. Then I have the following question. I have a relatively old Asus g53sx laptop with GeForce 650m. I play on average graphic parameters in Terra Online, Overwatch, Perfect World, at the maximum parameters in League of Legends, HoTS. Will SSD help me improve performance in games? I was offered such an upgrade, but I was skeptical. P.S. Important info - I use 2 monitors on laptop screen I`m playing, on additional (it stends beside) I usually have discord and online music player or Twitch
    Alakey said:

Vrika said:

Alakey said:

Thanks for the answer. Then I have the following question. I have a relatively old Asus g53sx laptop with GeForce 650m. I play on average graphic parameters in Terra Online, Overwatch, Perfect World, at the maximum parameters in League of Legends, HoTS. Will SSD help me improve performance in games? I was offered such an upgrade, but I was skeptical. P.S. Important info - I use 2 monitors on laptop screen I`m playing, on additional (it stends beside) I usually have discord and online music player or Twitch
    SSD improves only loading times. It does not allow you to get better FPS or change graphic settings to higher.

Your graphic card is already so old that I'd advice against any upgrades to that laptop. When you want an upgrade, do it by purchasing a new computer.