Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Most legendary MMOs ?

AdamantineAdamantine Member RarePosts: 5,085
In your mind, which are the most legendary MMOs ?

I recently made a list of MMOs I thought would be legendary and I noticed that ALL MMOs I truely felt have been extraordinary have been made between 1997 (Ultima Online) and 2007 (Vanguard: Saga of Heroes and Lord of the Rings Online).

Everything after that was kind of meh. Biowares SWTOR failed in my eyes because EA took them over, resulting in all kinds of absurd actions and a lame game. Aion was a Lineage clone, making that game even MORE simple (and it was too simple to begin with) and graphics focused. Age of Conan failed completely due to being, well, being a big pile of crap. Dungeons and Dragons Online, The Elder Scrolls Online, etc etc - all these games never really took of.

Anyway, that wouldbe my list:

- Ultima Online (1997)
- EverQuest (1999)
- Asheron's Call (1999)
- Dark Age of Camelot (2001)
- RuneScape (2001)
- Anarchy Online (2001)
- Eve Online (2003)
- Star Wars Galaxies (2003)
- World of Warcraft (2003)
- City of Heroes (2004)
- Guild Wars (2005)
- Vanguard: Saga of Heroes (2007)
- Lord of the Rings Online (2007)

Comments

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    edited October 2017
    You missed the game i consider the best of all and is actually identical to EQ which is on your list and that is FFXI.

I find it hard to put Wow on a list because it does nothing different,imo to be legendary is about game design not about how many people play a game.I tire of telling or reminding people of many things FFXi did so i won't but games like Ultima were unique,Everquest was the first of it's kind,DAOC was definitely a tad different but i did not think much of the game,Vanguard tried to open up the game view and added in a couple unique ideas,other than that,a whole pile of lazy game designs and clones.

I do agree on one thing,SWTOR was a mess,it was a very poorly designed game and just another typical linear questing game on rails.A mmo+rpg should be YOUR adventure,not one laid out with markers and pre defined paths for players to follow.

Wow wasn't far behind EQ2 in defining that type of linear design but EQ2 just did more and looked better,yes had more bugs but that doesn't really change what game design is about.I guess one could say the Everquest series was legendary for bugs,err i mean bad coding,no such thing as bugs unless they crawl along the ground with legs.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• delete5230delete5230 Member EpicPosts: 7,081
    edited October 2017
    The list you presented all have one thing in common. 

Their all mmos, all others are games online.. I agree with this list :)  

One other would be FF11
  • AAAMEOWAAAMEOW Member RarePosts: 1,605
    Most new mmorpg can't even make it to the shelf.  Right now it seemed all the new mmorpg on the market are asian made.
  • CryomatrixCryomatrix Member EpicPosts: 3,223
    I guess it depends on one's definition of legendary. My personal definition would be ones that evolved the genre and were famous (legendary) in some way shape or form. 

I haven't played that many MMO's to be honest with you. But from what i've gleaned from people. 

Ultima Online
    EQ
    EVE - played 
    SWG - played 
    WoW - played 

I think after WoW, I haven't seen anything new or that felt new. I still to this day cannot foresee myself playing an MMORPG out there, they just all feel the same. 

Cryomatrix
    Catch me streaming at twitch.tv/cryomatrix
    You can see my sci-fi/WW2 book recommendations. 
  • A1D3NA1D3N Member UncommonPosts: 276
    The Legend of MIR..... Duh!

Currently Playing:
    ...... :(

• ConstantineMerusConstantineMerus Member EpicPosts: 3,338
    DMKano said:
    The gen1s are IMO the most legendary

UO
    Lineage
    EQ1
    AC 
    AO
    DAoC
    SWG

Id also include EvE and Runescape eventhough I only played them briefly

Those games were the forerunners of all MMOs today
    I second this, exactly my list I just played a hell lot of EVE and I have no clue what Runescape is but I am also sure it is legendary. 
    lahnmir
    Constantine, The Console Poster

• "One of the most difficult tasks men can perform, however much others may despise it, is the invention of good games and it cannot be done by men out of touch with their instinctive selves." - Carl Jung
  • AdamantineAdamantine Member RarePosts: 5,085
    I havent defined "legendary" because I was going for a purely subjective definition, I wanted everyone to use their own definition and thus get more interesting entries.

If I had to define it I would probably go for some very subjective definition, like:

- which games are worth to remember
    - which games felt like being made by people who like making games, opposed to games clearly just made for making money
    - which games have been based on actual thought and new ideas, instead of just repeating a formula
    - which games felt like a unique gaming experience
    - which games felt like an original and not a copy

And yes WoW didnt do anything new, or hardly anything new. The new thing about WoW was that they tried to remove all the things that made MMOs tedious and create a pleasant, mainstreamed gaming experience. Unfortunately later they went too far and made the game too easy, but it wasnt this way in the beginning.

• Azaron_NightbladeAzaron_Nightblade Member EpicPosts: 4,829
    DMKano said:

UO
    Lineage
    EQ1
    AC 
    AO
    DAoC
    SWG

I would add CoH to that list, due to the game's uniqueness.

My SWTOR referral link for those wanting to give the game a try. (Newbies get a welcome package while returning players get a few account upgrades to help with their preferred status.)

https://www.ashesofcreation.com/ref/Callaron/

• RPGForeverRPGForever Member UncommonPosts: 131
    Runescape and Darkfall online were the only ones I played for a long time.

• TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297
    I think Everquest properly put MMOs on the map. Runescape and WoW caused the popularity.

..and that's it. I think they were the major contributor's and are the names that pretty much every gamer knows. Most of the others are often unknown to gamers who aren't strict MMO fans. I don't think they are the best by any means, I actually started with Asheron's Call myself (Played it for years and years), then AO and my next big one was LOTRO.
    I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
  • HarikenHariken Member EpicPosts: 2,680
    Anarchy Online
    Earth & Beyond
    DAOC
    Auto Assault 
  • TheScavengerTheScavenger Member EpicPosts: 3,321
    edited November 2017
    EVE Online

Ultima Online post-trammel

SWG (old version, not NGE)

WoW

GW1 (NOT gw2)

LOTRO

City of Heroes

Tibia

Runescape

And those are the only MMOs I've ever stuck with or played for 1+ year. All other MMOs I stopped playing one month or less.

Post edited by TheScavenger on

My Skyrim, Fallout 4, Starbound and WoW + other game mods at MODDB: 

https://www.moddb.com/mods/skyrim-anime-overhaul

• waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769
    DMKano said:

UO
    Lineage
    EQ1
    AC 
    AO
    DAoC
    SWG

I would add CoH to that list, due to the game's uniqueness.

It really felt different (in a good way) when it released.
    http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• BrenelaelBrenelael Member UncommonPosts: 3,821
    edited November 2017
    DMKano said:

UO
    Lineage
    EQ1
    AC 
    AO
    DAoC
    SWG

I second this, exactly my list I just played a hell lot of EVE and I have no clue what Runescape is but I am also sure it is legendary. 
    Runescape was the first true browser based MMO. It was programed entirely in Java and would run in any browser window. Love it or hate it Runescape did open the door for more complex browser based games. It was a legendary milestone for not only MMOs but browser based gaming in general.

As for the list presented here I agree on the games listed.

Bren

while(horse==dead)
    {
    beat();
    }