Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Parents sueing WoW for childs death. . .

2»

Comments

• zethcarnzethcarn Member UncommonPosts: 1,558
    the priest used a mind control spell on him that's why he jumped off the cliff.
  • ElnatorElnator Member Posts: 6,077

ZZZZzzzzzzzzz

Huh?  Wah?  Hmmm... I thought Dungeons and Dragons was to blame for kids killing each other?  What's this WoW thing the Chinese are all up in arms about?

**fond memories of  newspaper articles about people suing TSR because their kid somehow got hold of a sword and got killed in a sword fight in the sewers of new york 'acting out' a scene from their AD&D session**

Same friggen story, different title.  Old news.

I agree with the guy who said 'let natural selection take it's course'.

We'd all be better off.

Currently Playing: Dungeons and Dragons Online.
    Sig image Pending
    Still in: A couple Betas

• ElnatorElnator Member Posts: 6,077

Originally posted by Jazia

Originally posted by ianubisi
    Good to see capitalist greed and Tort abuse gaining a solid foothold in the last bastion of Communism.

No, China was never communism. Just because the political party called itself "communist party", doesn't make the country a communist country. Nor USSR, nor any country ever existed on this planet. True communism should be something like the Federation social system in StarTrek. Where there must be NO currency.(money does NOT exist) Everyone just do their job for the good of society, and receive no pay, yet you can just "shopping" anything you want without paying either. Yet there are 2 requirements for it to work, 1. very advanced technologies to have enough production for everyone gets what they want 2. Everyone must be selfless instead of the greedy bastards everywhere today. You can see why true communism is a perfect social system, but it just won't work in the next a couple of hundreds years on this planet due to the primitive technologies and the greed of people...

Try this on for size:  "Communism will never work for the human species because we are all self-centered when all is said and done".

For every 1 "selfless" person who would actually 'work' in a 'communist' society I can point to 10,000 greedy self-centered homo-sapiens.  It's human/animal nature to look out for #1 first.  Even if that dynamic weren't true it wouldn't take very many "self centered" people to screw up a truely "communist" society. 

Currently Playing: Dungeons and Dragons Online.
    Sig image Pending
    Still in: A couple Betas

• gamerman98gamerman98 Member UncommonPosts: 807
    Its sad AND stupid at the same time. And in the end this is all blizzard would EVER do for the family

"Dear Mr/Mrs.  (last name)

We here at Blizzard Entertainment are truly sorry about your childs death and to show how saddened it tuly made us feel all of us have agreed that you and your family are granted a lifetime free membership to World Of Warcraft, and its upcoming expansion, World Of Warcraft: Burning Crusade. We here hope you enjoy.

Blizzard Entertainment"

Ya thats pretty much all you would get out of them

• ScarisScaris Member UncommonPosts: 5,332

Originally posted by gamerman98
    Its sad AND stupid at the same time. And in the end this is all blizzard would EVER do for the family"Dear Mr/Mrs.  (last name)We here at Blizzard Entertainment are truly sorry about your childs death and to show how saddened it tuly made us feel all of us have agreed that you and your family are granted a lifetime free membership to World Of Warcraft, and its upcoming expansion, World Of Warcraft: Burning Crusade. We here hope you enjoy.Blizzard Entertainment"Ya thats pretty much all you would get out of them

And just what exactly do you think Blizzard should have done?

- Scaris

"What happened to you, Star Wars Galaxies? You used to look like Leia. Not quite gold bikini Leia (more like bad-British-accent-and-cinnamon-bun-hair Leia), but still Leia nonetheless. Now you look like Chewbacca." - Computer Gaming World

• KaylettaJadeKaylettaJade Member UncommonPosts: 144

Realistically, as a mother of 2, I would be terribly distraught if one of my daughters did something of that nature.  And yes, if I thought for a second that something/someone had given her the idea to do such a thing I would go after it like nobodys business.  It's a parents instinct.

That aside, I play Wow as time(kids) allows.  Nothing in this game has ever given me the idea to jump off of a ledge or anything else for that matter.  Had the parents monitored the game(s) their child was playing this lawsuit would probably not be happening.  Suicidal children almost always drop behavioral clues before doing something of this nature.  If his parents weren't paying attention to those changes in behavior, then I must say that I feel sorry for them.  Not only for losing their son but for failing as parents.

As callous as this may sound, I truely hope this proves to be a tragic accident.  I don't believe for a second that WoW is at fault and I pray, as a mother, that that boys parents are not at fault either. 

• MalianeaMalianea Member Posts: 314
    Next people will sue car manufacturers for auto accidents. After all, they are giving us the idea to drive!

Give me a frikkin break.

Malianea

• Maybe the kid was trying to get into Ghost mode, you know, then he can walk faster and not get effected by other things around him.

i think he thought the idea of being in Ghost mode is cool and was trying it out.

but seriously, the kid commited suicide, how on earth do i know that something was the reason ?

• JorevJorev Member Posts: 1,500

Who freakin cares.

Good riddens.

Less contamination of the gene pool.

"We feel gold selling and websites that promote it damage games like Vanguard and will do everything possible to combat it."
    Brad McQuaid
    Chairman & CEO, Sigil Games Online, Inc.
    Executive Producer, Vanguard: Saga of Heroes
    www.vanguardsoh

• Clever_GloveClever_Glove Member Posts: 996
    it sickens me to see parents trying to benefit monetarily from the death of their child.

-=-=-=-=-
    Achievers realise that killers as a concept are necessary in order to make achievement meaningful and worthwhile (there being no way to "lose" the game if any fool can "win" just by plodding slowly unchallenged). -bartle

Bartle: A: 93% E: 55% S:3% K: 50% The Test. Learn what it means here.

• deggilatordeggilator Member Posts: 520

Straying off the topic a bit, but it is quite relative to point at a Wired fun article on how media supposedly corrupts.Clicky.

On topic, it is frequent in such incidents to try and apply blame to the first easy target, even more frequently in suicide attempts, partially due to the inability of parents to admit their own part in the situation. Unfortunately, they will receive the support of a conservative side, such as Zhang Chunliang in this case (or Jack Thompson in the well known trial cases in the U.S.) who'll use the case for their own means.

In any case, it's high time parents stopped using the television or electronic games as a baby-sitter. Parents should take an active role in their child's life and have honest discussions with their children on the content they are exposed to.

Currently playing:
    * City of Heroes: Deggial, Assault Rifle/Devices Blaster. Server: Defiant.
    * City of Villains: Snakeroot, Plant/Thorns Dominator. Server: Defiant.

• sebbonxsebbonx Member Posts: 318

Originally posted by Jorev

Who freakin cares.
    Good riddens.
    Less contamination of the gene pool.

A little evil are we?

If you have any questions please ask. I have moved on to WoW from eq and no longer have any desire to play a dead game. Thank you. (posted by another selling his account in EQ1)

• Jimmy_ScytheJimmy_Scythe Member CommonPosts: 3,586

So me and my wife came home to find our son dead from a gunshot wound. He had his headphones on and an Ozzy record on the turntable. So we called our lawyer...

Don't know about you folks, but if my kid just died I sure as hell wouldn't be thinking "who can I sue over this?"...

• MadAceMadAce Member Posts: 2,461
    The parents should be sued for not raising their children if they fall to mmo addiction. The common cause for mmo addiction is an urge to escape. Try to make sure you don't make your kid want to escape...

• AntipathyAntipathy Member UncommonPosts: 1,362
    I am disturbed by the number of extremely simplistic comments posted on this thread. As if a simple slogan can be used to explain the death of a child. This seems to be both a complex and serious case.

I would like to make the following observations of my own:

i) It is implied in the article that the child was addicted to WoW. However no-where is that fact actually stated.

ii) As I stated earlier, there is a quest that involves jumping from a great height. This is a level 26 quest, and it is entirely possible to reach this quest after only a few weeks of casual play. One doesn't have to be an "addict" to get there.

iii) I don't think it is unreasonable to suppose that this quest was a contributing factor to the childs fate. We live in a complex world, and their would likely have been many other factors (e.g. bullying from other children), but I see no reason to rule WoW out.

iv) It is also likely that the child was mentally unstable in some fashion - perhaps depressed or schizophrenic. Without being a medical expert, I would be reluctant to blame the parents for either being unaware of, or not adequately accounting for, their childs condition.

v) We also know nothing of the families cicrumstances. Many families in poor countries like China work far harder, and far longer hours than we are accustomed to in the West. They have to in order to survive. It is callous to blame such people for not having  time for their child. It is like saying "You deserved it because you are poor".

My personal view is that it is up to the Chinese to decide what sort of society they wish to live in. They can, if they want to, chose to live in a society in which each person is protected from violent or abusive imagery - where games such as WoW are outlawed. That is their choice, and if they choose to find WoW guilty then that is none of my concern.

However I'd much prefer to live in a society where we accept life comes with the occasional risk, and don't punish those whose business gives pleasure to millions.

• nortong14nortong14 Member Posts: 7
    this just remind me of this girl from somewhere in asia who played this game for 3 days straight and died...
  • zipitzipit Member Posts: 487

Originally posted by Agricola1
    It's because of people like this that the world has driving saftey videos pointing out that drinking and driving is a bad idea, and not wearing seat belts can result in your head going through the windscreen! I say remove all saftey labels from everything and let natural selection take its course, then we'd be rid of these people!

Completely agree, remember that incident with the woman who got burned by coffee she bought at a MacDonalds? Now every coffee cup has a label saying " warning!!!! Hot!!! " - rofl! of course its hot stupid, do you like your coffee cold??!! Darwinism ftw!!!