Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Pantheon vs Wow Classic

With the recent news of blizzard opening classic servers how do ya'll think this will effect numbers player wise if the games are released in somewhat close proximity of each other? There is a huge demand for classic wow obviously, hell I'm even looking forward to reliving it again.

Could this slightly sway VR to adjust there game play somewhat with the new possible competition? I know there to completely different games but classic did offer much more social aspect back in the day.

Thanks for your replies

Comments

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,435
    Doubtful this will have any impact on the Pantheon team, would be a huge mistake for them to do so.

[Deleted User]dcutbi001[Deleted User]TwystedWizPottedPlant22Ice-Queen

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• deniterdeniter Member RarePosts: 1,429
    There's a huge demand for classic WoW because we don't have proper MMO on the market atm. Pantheon is going to be one unless they screw it up somehow, so 12 years old game shouldn't be a competitor for them in any way.
    ThupliThunder073kertin
  • DaranarDaranar Member UncommonPosts: 392
    WoW Classic and what pantheon will be are two completely different beasts.  Furthermore WoW classic will be nothing more than a brief nostalgia trip for people.  It's just like progression servers on EQ, the first was full and quickly flat lined and each subsequent progression server they launch is less and less populated.   Probably for a couple of reasons including EQ progression servers, just like WoW Classic likely will be a far cry from the true original game because of all the changes to the core code and because P99 is a more authentic experience.

But I digress.  By the time Pantheon comes out, WoW Classic will be a shell of launch consisting mostly of hardcore WoWers who would be playing private servers if they didn't launch this money grab.

If I want a world in which people can purchase success and power with cash, I'll play Real Life. Keep Virtual Worlds Virtual!

• VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,882
    No game is ever developed based on assumption that your competition won't increase or improve during your development period.
    KyleranThunder073

• DullahanDullahan Member EpicPosts: 4,536
    edited November 2017
    It really depends on how closely they launch. I don't think it would be unrealistic to think WoW Classic will draw the attention away for a lot of potential players. Some may forget how much closer to EQ or Vanguard the original vanilla WoW experience was.

I wouldn't worry about it too much, because vanilla content is limited. Even if they did progression, WoW became a very different experience in a hurry. Pantheon will hopefully maintain that more social, cooperative, slower paced design for it's entire lifespan. This is also just one more reason I think Visionary Realms should stick closer to its roots than its branches.
    ThupliKiori001HrimnirThunder073[Deleted User]

• DKLondDKLond Member RarePosts: 2,273
    I think a lot of people who want WoW classic are forgetting about a little detail called content. There's going to be absolutely no content they haven't seen or exhausted a million times over.

Pantheon will be entirely new in terms of content.

So, if you want a "classic" experience - I very much doubt exhausted content will be able to hold players for long.
    DullahanTheelyMendelKylerandcutbi001Kiori001HrimnirPottedPlant22Thunder073Aethaeryn
  • MendelMendel Member LegendaryPosts: 5,609
    This will be something interesting to watch.  Both are going after that same ill-defined market, the old-school gamer.  WoW could put a severe crunch on Pantheon's potential player base, or it could be as @DKLond said, that the old content of vanilla WoW will exhaust the players to the point of desertion.  Pantheon will have content that the masses haven't played before.  How much of an overlap is there between these two games?  I've got no solid information on that; I don't think anyone does.  It wouldn't surprise me for the ultimate market of these two games being those who missed out on the 'classic' WoW or EQ1 experiences.
    TwystedWiz

Logic, my dear, merely enables one to be wrong with great authority.

• AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
    I have nothing against WoW classic. I am sure it will be fun for those who play it. It was fun for me when I played WoW at launch.

But it will not present anywhere near the level of challenge that EQ posed (which I know from playing both games for years). 

I also don't believe WoW classic will present the same level of challenge as Pantheon. Nothing I have ever read about Pantheon suggests that is so. Pantheon is expected to be a much harder game than WoW.

So I don't think WoW Classic will hurt Pantheon.  
    GdemamiDaranarThunder073

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

• XthosXthos Member UncommonPosts: 2,739
    I imagine WoW classic will be out well before Pantheon, and like someone said, the classic servers that have expansions that launch, they lose people as it goes in the direction that you know it will go, and people will leave after the initial novelty wears off too.

I never liked WoW myself, but given the current mmos, it is probably more like something I want to play, but I only played WoW beta, and I don't plan on playing it personally.  I will just wait, I am playing Archeage right now, but it is going in a direction I hate, as each patch comes along.  IT is just super factions (player nations).  I have good gear (8k), but I think it has ruined the game.  Anyone that doesn't wish to play in the nations can't do much (You have to play with people that have 3-5k gear scores that don't buff, so you have no chance), the original factions are trivialized imo.  They make no pve content for the most part, so it is nation or bust...So I just sit around making gold for probably no reason lol.

I hope they stick to sub game and no p2w shop (think they said no cash shop, but if it will truly be nothing but cosmetic, I can live with that, if pay for convenience is even in, then it may as well be p2w imo, as that's where that usually goes and very badly).

So I am waiting, not sure I want in on alpha/beta stuff, as I don't want to ruin the game, and be playing it for like 6-12 months, and then when it does release it is kind of older and not fresh.  Having some input (super minor) in direction, is appealing, as I clearly have things I do not like that make/break a  game for me.
  • NildenNilden Member EpicPosts: 3,916
    I plan on just playing both.

"You CAN'T buy ships for RL money." - MaxBacon

"classification of games into MMOs is not by rational reasoning" - nariusseldon

Love Minecraft. And check out my Youtube channel OhCanadaGamer

Try a MUD today at http://www.mudconnect.com/ 

• SEANMCADSEANMCAD Member EpicPosts: 16,775
    Nilden said:
    very cool!

Please do not respond to me, even if I ask you a question, its rhetorical.

Please do not respond to me

• waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769
    Amathe said:
    I have nothing against WoW classic. I am sure it will be fun for those who play it. It was fun for me when I played WoW at launch.

But it will not present anywhere near the level of challenge that EQ posed (which I know from playing both games for years). 

I also don't believe WoW classic will present the same level of challenge as Pantheon. Nothing I have ever read about Pantheon suggests that is so. Pantheon is expected to be a much harder game than WoW.

So I don't think WoW Classic will hurt Pantheon.  

Funny, I don't hear people saying challenge so much with classic wow.  They are wanting "the experience".   It is like the guy who blogged that vanilla wow wasn't  perfect as if that is the big deal with vanilla.

Where I do hear a lot about vanilla wow and challenge are the tedious isn't challenging people.  Perhaps you are confusing them?
    http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• DullahanDullahan Member EpicPosts: 4,536
    Some of the challenges of WoW were of the social nature, which was sort of a staple of mmorpgs before the lobby game model. You actually had to talk with people, make groups and go quest or dungeon running together. Didn't just automatically throw you in. WoW also took longer to progress. More experience needed. I always felt it was still lite in those regards with all the instancing and linear progression, but the more time goes by, the more I can appreciate vanilla.

• svannsvann Member RarePosts: 2,230
    Wow beat eq for one reason - quests.  At the time eq was known as neverquest.  There is no way pantheon copies that classic mentality of constant camping no questing.
  • AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
    waynejr2 said:

Where I do hear a lot about vanilla wow and challenge are the tedious isn't challenging people.  Perhaps you are confusing them?
    Who knows. Could be. I'm really not dialed in on the Classic WoW excitement.

I seem to have had a different experience of early WoW than some others. Not trashing it. Just not as enthusiastic I guess. 
    JemAs666waynejr2

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,435
    SEANMCAD said:
    Nilden said:
    very cool!
    Especially if he does it at same time, with WOW up on one screen and Pantheon on the other. ;)
    Thupli

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

Amathe said:
    waynejr2 said:

Who knows. Could be. I'm really not dialed in on the Classic WoW excitement.

I seem to have had a different experience of early WoW than some others. Not trashing it. Just not as enthusiastic I guess. 

That is cool. 

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    edited November 2017
    Classic Wow servers will be ghost towns in  a short time,so won't affect anything,it will just create some more news.
    However thinking back,when i first tried Wow i thought the game would never compete versus what was imo a MUCH better identical game>>EQ2,so i guess thinking logically has nothing to do with Blizzard and it's community,they could live on for 20 years as nothing more than pvp servers or end game servers .Oh wait that is exactly what Wow is now,ok then ,so they made more servers for no reason than to do the exact same thing lmao.

Pantheon imo is and will try to create a ROLE playing game community and not some pvp or end game drama.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

Wizardry said:
    Classic Wow servers will be ghost towns in  a short time,so won't affect anything,it will just create some more news.
    However thinking back,when i first tried Wow i thought the game would never compete versus what was imo a MUCH better identical game>>EQ2,so i guess thinking logically has nothing to do with Blizzard and it's community,they could live on for 20 years as nothing more than pvp servers or end game servers .Oh wait that is exactly what Wow is now,ok then ,so they made more servers for no reason than to do the exact same thing lmao.

Pantheon imo is and will try to create a ROLE playing game community and not some pvp or end game drama.

Short time left undefined.  So 1 month or 5 years, you will be  correct.................
    Thupli

• KilsinKilsin Member RarePosts: 515
    It won't affect us in the slightest, but we are glad to see others following in our footsteps of bringing back what made MMORPGs great and taking them back to their roots!

It will hopefully be better for gaming in general if more companies get on board with us :)
    svannAmatheKyleranKiori001PottedPlant22Beezerbeez[Deleted User]
  • Gyva02Gyva02 Member RarePosts: 499
    svann said:
    Wow beat eq for one reason - quests.  At the time eq was known as neverquest.  There is no way pantheon copies that classic mentality of constant camping no questing.
    If Pantheon is a quest hub to quest hub circus I'll be deeply saddened. But I don't think they are going that way. Did you miss the quests in EQ? You had to actually talk and hail people to get them. 

https://wiki.project1999.com/Category:Quests
    dcutbi001
  • NildenNilden Member EpicPosts: 3,916
    Kyleran said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    Nilden said:
    very cool!
    Especially if he does it at same time, with WOW up on one screen and Pantheon on the other. ;)
    Well great now you made my plan to alt+tab look underwhelming.
    Kyleran

"You CAN'T buy ships for RL money." - MaxBacon

"classification of games into MMOs is not by rational reasoning" - nariusseldon

Love Minecraft. And check out my Youtube channel OhCanadaGamer

Try a MUD today at http://www.mudconnect.com/ 

• DarkswormDarksworm Member RarePosts: 1,081
    deniter said:
    There's a huge demand for classic WoW because we don't have proper MMO on the market atm. Pantheon is going to be one unless they screw it up somehow, so 12 years old game shouldn't be a competitor for them in any way.

A "proper MMO."  That's kind of a bold statement.  You state it as if you and your ilk actually define what an MMO is supposed to be (you don't).
  • DarkswormDarksworm Member RarePosts: 1,081
    Kilsin said:
    It won't affect us in the slightest, but we are glad to see others following in our footsteps of bringing back what made MMORPGs great and taking them back to their roots!

It will hopefully be better for gaming in general if more companies get on board with us :)

Blizzard brought the Classic Server back because they onw a lot of people like WoW because it's WoW - World of Warcraft - and not something else.  Since they can corner the market ono that niche with copyright and their own server, they will do so.  You're gonna have to pay a sub to play WoW classic...

So this is bad for any subscription game going after the same market - especially if those peoples' friends do not want to move to that new game and start over...  Playing classes, content, and dealing with lore they may not be interested in.

The reason why so many people want WoW classic is the same reason WoW rocketed up the standings back when it was released.
  • DvoraDvora Member UncommonPosts: 499
    Xthos said:
    I imagine WoW classic will be out well before Pantheon, and like someone said, the classic servers that have expansions that launch, they lose people as it goes in the direction that you know it will go, and people will leave after the initial novelty wears off too.

I never liked WoW myself, but given the current mmos, it is probably more like something I want to play, but I only played WoW beta, and I don't plan on playing it personally.  I will just wait, I am playing Archeage right now, but it is going in a direction I hate, as each patch comes along.  IT is just super factions (player nations).  I have good gear (8k), but I think it has ruined the game.  Anyone that doesn't wish to play in the nations can't do much (You have to play with people that have 3-5k gear scores that don't buff, so you have no chance), the original factions are trivialized imo.  They make no pve content for the most part, so it is nation or bust...So I just sit around making gold for probably no reason lol.

I hope they stick to sub game and no p2w shop (think they said no cash shop, but if it will truly be nothing but cosmetic, I can live with that, if pay for convenience is even in, then it may as well be p2w imo, as that's where that usually goes and very badly).

So I am waiting, not sure I want in on alpha/beta stuff, as I don't want to ruin the game, and be playing it for like 6-12 months, and then when it does release it is kind of older and not fresh.  Having some input (super minor) in direction, is appealing, as I clearly have things I do not like that make/break a  game for me.
    how much money did you spend to get 8k gear?