Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Will A:IR Reignite AAA MMORPG Development? - Bill Murphy - MMORPG.com

123457»

Comments

• bhaynes333bhaynes333 Member UncommonPosts: 8

Tiller said:

LrdEtrius said:

Nope. I jumped out of the hype boat as soon as i noticed the gender lock. If they can't even have this basic thing in character management i don't wanna know the rest.

This game is what I would expect to see if you mixed GW2 with BDO. Looks ok but what is it with Korean games and gender lock classes?

Directly from their FAQ forum
    "Are the classes of A:IR gender locked?
    Bluehole is planning to add both genders to each class."

LrdEtrius said:

Nope. I jumped out of the hype boat as soon as i noticed the gender lock. If they can't even have this basic thing in character management i don't wanna know the rest.

Seriously, gender-locking classes is just lazy development.  They need to do the extra work and allow people to make the character they want.

abnesher said:

A few alarmbells goes off for me. Of course because of the gender lock, but mostly because of the focus on the flying aspect of the game.. It's even in the name.

"We need flying" is such a gimmicky concept to build an MMO around

• ConstantineMerusConstantineMerus Member EpicPosts: 3,338
    edited November 2017
    So what are the classes, gender locked?

Ps. I have finally figured out the internet.
    Post edited by ConstantineMerus on
    Iselin
    Constantine, The Console Poster

• "One of the most difficult tasks men can perform, however much others may despise it, is the invention of good games and it cannot be done by men out of touch with their instinctive selves." - Carl Jung
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    By my count in this thread it's "Going to be gender locked" 23 and "No it isn't" 20. The score wouldn't be quite so close if that one poster hadn't decided to say "No it isn't" 5 times in a row... good job @bhaynes333!
    MadFrenchieConstantineMerus
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    Iselin said:
    By my count in this thread it's "Going to be gender locked" 23 and "No it isn't" 20. The score wouldn't be quite so close if that one poster hadn't decided to say "No it isn't" 5 times in a row... good job @bhaynes333!
    So that means those insisting it will be gender locked win, somebody alert Bluehole at once!  We cannot allow them to disappoint the masses!

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Iselin said:
    So that means those insisting it will be gender locked win, somebody alert Bluehole at once!  We cannot allow them to disappoint the masses!
    It ain't over till the fat lady sings.
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• ConstantineMerusConstantineMerus Member EpicPosts: 3,338
    Iselin said:
    Hey don't forget the value of my fake news! ;)
    Constantine, The Console Poster

• "One of the most difficult tasks men can perform, however much others may despise it, is the invention of good games and it cannot be done by men out of touch with their instinctive selves." - Carl Jung
  • RevofireRevofire Member UncommonPosts: 269

LrdEtrius said:

I like the gender locks, I'm fine with it.
    Iselin
    Change your thoughts and you change your world. - Norman Vincent Peale

• TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,164
    edited November 2017
    Mmorpg.com how much does your research team get paid because they should make less... https://forum.airthegame.com/index.php?threads/the-a-ir-teaser-faq-is-live.43/

A lot of guessing in your views with little actual research done >.<

Fyi: planning on not making genderlocked classes just so ya know

LrdEtrius said:

Seriously, gender-locking classes is just lazy development.  They need to do the extra work and allow people to make the character they want.

abnesher said:

A few alarmbells goes off for me. Of course because of the gender lock, but mostly because of the focus on the flying aspect of the game.. It's even in the name.

abnesher said:

---------------------------------------------------------------------

:s
    Seriously, delete your MMORPG.com account right now. We all know this, the staff has also admitted the error several pages back. No need to continue your triggered tirade.

Page 2 Proof below

"Move along"
    "Move along"
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Bingo. Was just going to bring this up. Confirmed that they will NOT be gender locked.

Grend said:

SBFord said:

Gender lock is, sorry to say, a deal breaker for me if there is no option to play the type of class I prefer as a female character. I simply don't understand why there even is such a thing as gender locking in this era of MMOs.

I guess we'll see once more is known about AIR -- I hope I can find a place since the world really needs a great steampunk game.

Well I guess you are in luck. In the faqs on their forums, they already addressed the question about genderlocking. The plan is to have the 5 classes to be available for both genders.

https://forum.airthegame.com/index.php?threads/the-a-ir-teaser-faq-is-live.43/

SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    edited November 2017
    "customizable airships" yet all i have seen is every ship firing a fireball or the minigun and the effect always looks the same,so no damage to the ships animations,no particle effects coming off,parts flying,nope just a fireball explosion animation.

Steampunk?I still wonder how they figure,Airships alone doesn't make it Steampunk,FFXI already had Airships.
    Kakao is also the same publisher that pissed me off with BDO.Claim your pet and you forfeit your refund,i would have refunded BDO instantly after playing it but couldn't because i claimed a pet.

Not a fan of Steam but at least if i play only a few hours i can refund a game,so i will tend to buy most of my games on Steam now.
    I definitely feel Kakao is a crap publisher.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• AegirisAegiris Member UncommonPosts: 49

Forgrimm said:

I have a hard time understanding why so many people object so much to gender locking. 

Because I have no interest in playing female characters. 

So I guess you like staring at a dude's ass for hours on end?
    lancerxxKajidourden
  • lancerxxlancerxx Member UncommonPosts: 63
    Aegiris said:

Forgrimm said:

I have a hard time understanding why so many people object so much to gender locking. 

What a silly assumption
  • cesmode8cesmode8 Member UncommonPosts: 431
    I dont think any game will revitalize this genre.  And I think this website will need to revitalize itself as a result.  MMOs are dying, they are a thing of the past.  People want more than just a character, a build, quests and loot. ...whatever that is, who knows.  And they all want different things.  The gaming playerbase is so fragmented, and people enjoy multiple genres simultaneously.  

Its going to be impossible to duplicate the WoW effect again and if I were a studio, I wouldn't try.  I think 1st person/3rd person shooter "open world/progression" games are going to come to the forefront.  

• azarrelazarrel Member UncommonPosts: 9
    I fear about MMORPG future. this game seems to be good but they will not deliver what they promise. FPS issue, uncertain commercial model, gender locked, and so on... I think it's time to move on..
  • McGamerMcGamer Member UncommonPosts: 1,073
    I could care less about gender lock or not. But what is a deal-breaker for me is that they are using Unreal Engine 3. No thanks, this is the 21st century.
  • KajidourdenKajidourden Member EpicPosts: 3,030
    Aegiris said:

Forgrimm said:

Someone peaked in high school.  You know it's not a real ass no matter what right?  Kinda pathetic if that's your sole reasoning.