Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Microsoft getting smart!

13»

Comments

• SEANMCADSEANMCAD Member EpicPosts: 16,775
    edited November 2017
    sayuu said:
    SEANMCAD said:

Yeah your head hurting has nothing to do with my comment.  In 2013, 2014 or whatever arbitrary date you want to use it doesn't matter the Xbox one out sold the previous Xbox therefore not horrific.

How do you figure valve/ steam is crushing consoles?  

Xbox live has over 100,000,000 accounted with 65,000,000 active users 

PlayStation Network has over 110,000,000 accounts with 70,000,000 active users

Consoles 220,000,000 total accounts 
    135,000,000 active users 

Steam has 125,000,000 accounts they don't released monthly active users 

Seven months into the steam machine sales they only mustered 500,000 units.

I'm sorry I deal in facts not really seeing where your claim valve (steam) is crushing consoles.  Who knows maybe you have your own alternative facts you like to use.

Disclaimer not my fault facts made your head hurt again.  
    PC games which is mostly controlled via Valve is outselling consoles year after year over the past 3 years. That is nearly the complete doing on one small company dominating BOTH consoles.

But look, despite the fact that I explictly stated 'launch' because I was refering to years 2013-14 and you think its perfectly fine to call 2016 a launch year despite it NOT being so and not remotely 'arbitrary' I will indulge your observation........

I understand your point and I dont have a direct counter because its getting into areas I am not familiar with, but at the time of 2013 when Tom Merrit said it because Steve Balamaer was effectively being fired over this and other things it did at the time (which was NOT 2016!!!!!!!!!!!) sound like a good deal.

look at it this way, out of all the gaming platforms, PC, PS4, Xbox One and Mobile.

Xbox One is on the bottom of the list in sales is it not?
    Uhh  no, the PC game platform has never outsold the console game platform.

of the total global revenue generated by the gaming industry in 2016 (99.6 billion USD) Pc gaming took 27% while consoles took 29%.

the year prior it was 28% to 30% respectively, the gap widens more each year one goes back. . .

but also note that if one takes away the chinese market Consoles absolutely crushes PC by almost 20%, this is due to the chinese predominantly  using the PC platform to game.

So no Valve is not destroying consoles, in fact they are not even getting the lion share of the PC revenue, because in 2016 their total revenue was $3.47 billion out of $37.4 billion the PC platform generated. 

in comparison Microsoft's Xbox division made $8.6 billion Q3 2015 in revenue ( this is the only time in the console's history microsoft revealed console sales in their own category) ( it is usually lump in with surface, bing and the now defunct windows phones)

just a few facts to counter opinion stemming from ignorance, nothing more nothing less.
    https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2016/01/dont-look-now-but-the-pc-is-the-worlds-biggest-gaming-platform/

http://hexus.net/gaming/news/industry/83972-pc-games-sales-eclipse-value-console-games-sales-2016/

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/pc-games-make-more-money-than-console-games-analyst-says/1100-6419241/

some people suggest the reason these articles would be false is that you can only look at games that exist on both platforms which is a parameter that is my mind is beyond silly.

But...its getting way off point dont you think?
    This entire side debate started because I said this 'the terrible launch of xbox' ok well lets just remove that from the conversation because its not the main take away, the main question in the OP is 'do you think the move discussed is a good one or not'

I would perfer you not reply, its not personal it goes for everyone

Please do not respond to me, even if I ask you a question, its rhetorical.

Please do not respond to me

• laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 7,591
    SEANMCAD said:
    sayuu said:
    SEANMCAD said:

Yeah your head hurting has nothing to do with my comment.  In 2013, 2014 or whatever arbitrary date you want to use it doesn't matter the Xbox one out sold the previous Xbox therefore not horrific.

135,000,000 active users 

I'm sorry I deal in facts not really seeing where your claim valve (steam) is crushing consoles.  Who knows maybe you have your own alternative facts you like to use.

PC games which is mostly controlled via Valve is outselling consoles year after year over the past 3 years. That is nearly the complete doing on one small company dominating BOTH consoles.

But look, despite the fact that I explictly stated 'launch' because I was refering to years 2013-14 and you think its perfectly fine to call 2016 a launch year despite it NOT being so and not remotely 'arbitrary' I will indulge your observation........

I understand your point and I dont have a direct counter because its getting into areas I am not familiar with, but at the time of 2013 when Tom Merrit said it because Steve Balamaer was effectively being fired over this and other things it did at the time (which was NOT 2016!!!!!!!!!!!) sound like a good deal.

look at it this way, out of all the gaming platforms, PC, PS4, Xbox One and Mobile.

of the total global revenue generated by the gaming industry in 2016 (99.6 billion USD) Pc gaming took 27% while consoles took 29%.

the year prior it was 28% to 30% respectively, the gap widens more each year one goes back. . .

but also note that if one takes away the chinese market Consoles absolutely crushes PC by almost 20%, this is due to the chinese predominantly  using the PC platform to game.

So no Valve is not destroying consoles, in fact they are not even getting the lion share of the PC revenue, because in 2016 their total revenue was $3.47 billion out of $37.4 billion the PC platform generated. 

in comparison Microsoft's Xbox division made $8.6 billion Q3 2015 in revenue ( this is the only time in the console's history microsoft revealed console sales in their own category) ( it is usually lump in with surface, bing and the now defunct windows phones)

just a few facts to counter opinion stemming from ignorance, nothing more nothing less.
    https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2016/01/dont-look-now-but-the-pc-is-the-worlds-biggest-gaming-platform/

http://hexus.net/gaming/news/industry/83972-pc-games-sales-eclipse-value-console-games-sales-2016/

some people suggest the reason these articles would be false is that you can only look at games that exist on both platforms which is a parameter that is my mind is beyond silly.

This entire side debate started because I said this 'the terrible launch of xbox' ok well lets just remove that from the conversation because its not the main take away, the main question in the OP is 'do you think the move discussed is a good one or not'

So.... Let me get this straight.

You want to reply to others, but you prefer other's don't reply back to you.

That's rich

You special snowflake you  <3
    maskedweaselcameltosisByrgenarHofen

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

edited November 2017
    laserit said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    sayuu said:
    SEANMCAD said:

135,000,000 active users 

That's rich

yes that is exactly right.

I dont consider it fair but it is what I am asking for

BUT...lets please stay on topic and not talk about me, ok?
    postlarval

• laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 7,591
    SEANMCAD said:
    laserit said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    sayuu said:
    SEANMCAD said:

135,000,000 active users 

That's rich

yes that is exactly right.

I dont consider it fair but it is what I am asking for

maskedweasel

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

• postlarvalpostlarval Member EpicPosts: 2,003
    Grunty said:
    Phry said:
    Phry said:
    Not sure where you are getting your figures from tbh, afaik the adoption of Win10 vs Win 7 is that the Win 10 OS is less than half that of the Win 7 install base. :/
    Equally so, that's why I said it depends on where you get your information.  Netmarketshare shows the numbers you stated,  W3schools and gs.statcounter show closer to my figures.  Either way, its only a matter of time before Windows 10 reaches optimal saturation seeing as how it's slates as the "last release" 

Asm0deus said:

As for the new split it's not adoption so much as they are forcing people to w10 with false information like w7 wont work on kaby/coffee lake which is not true.

I am not a hater but I really hope w10 fails hard or at least takes a long long time before it forces some of us to go from MS windows to something else.

Unfortunately windows 10 is already fairly successful, although the adoption wasn't initially as strong as MS wanted which is why they are pushing more strongarm tactics trying to get everyone on the same release.  I guess you can't really blame them,  they've been fragmented for so long, it's the same issue Android is going through right now, despite it rivaling microsoft in OS marketshare (beating it in most cases) these kinds of growing pains make it hard to get a uniform release and one of the major reasons Samsung is trying to push towards Tizen
    Your really talking about web page hits using those operating systems, in the case of android, your talking about smartphones etc. When it comes to PC's and OS marketshare, then Android is irrelevant. As for Win 10, it didn't achieve the milestones that MS had set for it (it still hasn't) initially it even struggled to compete with Win 8, even now, years after it was launched, it still has not managed to become the primary Windows OS, at this point its unlikely that will ever happen, i would be very surprised if MS isn't already working on a successor to Win 10, though i doubt they would risk calling it Win 11, but i would be very surprised if in the next 18 months there was news about something 'new' from MS, i doubt it will be free and it may well be a OS that needs a subscription to use, hell i'd bet money that they even call it something like Windows Prime. ;)
    Last I heard and appears to still be the case .. windows 10 is still the "end game" of OS's for windows and Microsoft.  From this point forward they supposedly are looking at updates only.  Kind of why there was a big backlash on it becoming a subscription service a few years back ,everyone thought windows 10 would push the subscriptions in at some point, and they probably will... usually around the 5 year mark, you may see a yearly or 5 year subscription or something like that.

As for statistics, there's no accurate numbers on Windows 10 saturation.  guesstimates are about as good as it gets.  Android also counts for chromebooks and applicable tablets.  But all in all the numbers don't matter all that much, it's really only a matter of time before everything is pushed to windows 10 one way or another.
    Windows 10 Enterprise is already a subscription service.
    https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/deployment/windows-10-enterprise-subscription-activation
    Finally. When I left the company in 2008 they had been talking about implementing software as a service for ten years. As usual, Microsoft is late to the party. 

• ByrgenarHofenByrgenarHofen Member UncommonPosts: 55
    SEANMCAD said:

BUT...you keep steering it back to talking about you every time you reply to someone.
    SEANMCAD said:

BUT...you keep steering it back to talking about you every time you reply to someone.
    so what is your view on if this move is a smart one from Microsoft?
    Do you think its a good move?

• ByrgenarHofenByrgenarHofen Member UncommonPosts: 55
    Does not matter one way or the other what I, or you, think about it, MS will do what they want regardless, always have, always will.

But, I do feel they would be better off moving away from hardware, and sticking with what they have always been best at (in their own shitty way), which is the software side of things.
    Does not matter one way or the other what I, or you, think about it, MS will do what they want regardless, always have, always will.

But, I do feel they would be better off moving away from hardware, and sticking with what they have always been best at (in their own shitty way), which is the software side of things.
    yes I agree completely.