Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Star Wars: Battlefront II Review – This is the Star Wars Game You’ve Been Looking For - Not So MMO -

Comments

• DKLondDKLond Member RarePosts: 2,273
    The out of control greed angle is actually quite helpful. It will accelerate a lower tolerance on the part of the mainstream - though I suspect we still have to face years of obscene greed before the popular attitude will be one of reason.

I could say the same for the endless and terrible clones of Iron Man being released in Hollywood constantly. The mainstream still can't get enough of the same crap.

One day, though.
  • chelvaricchelvaric Member UncommonPosts: 47

PsYcHoGBR said:

I got to play the trial and saw how bad the MT's are. The loot box progression is horrific and a major core mechanic. I will not be buying this game.

there not bad though they give so minor improvements that they aren't noticable at all
  • halfmystichalfmystic Member RarePosts: 535
    edited November 2017

M.D.33 said:

This is a 3.0 max, one point for Star Wars, Graphic and Sound. Microtransactions tied into progression in a +60$ priced game, paying for heroes 75% reduction doesnt matter, its not tolerable.

Review bombs like this are just shitty.

Sure it's progression MT based but the vocal minority, people like you, don't understand that the casual majority is their real market - and people like me will be interested in it. I don't care one bit if someone buys their way into better heroes or slightly better star cards, there's plenty of ways to obtain them and hell, I'd love a sense of progression after my small amount of playtime, which it does provide.

The 500k people on reddit isn't going to deter the millions that will buy this game because it has storm troopers they can shoot their buddies with.

Game is great. MTs are bad. Don't really care, just won't buy stuff with the MTs.
    If net neutrality got this much backlash ffs it wouldn't have even been a thing by now. The neck beards only care about features in a game.
    CrazKanukViper482
  • CoolitCoolit Member UncommonPosts: 661
    edited November 2017
    A great looking game completely ruined by invasive monetization.
    Viper482someforumguy
  • MargraveMargrave Member RarePosts: 1,362
    Nope
  • Tyr216Tyr216 Member UncommonPosts: 168
    I'll be keeping my wallet closed for this one. I don't care how good the game is. Fuck microtransactions. The industry needs to change.
    Viper482

• CrazKanukCrazKanuk Member EpicPosts: 6,130
    I'm going to buy 10 copies just to make the MT whiners cringe. 
    Viper482Kyleransschrupp

Crazkanuk

----------------
    Azarelos - 90 Hunter - Emerald
    Durnzig - 90 Paladin - Emerald
    Demonicron - 90 Death Knight - Emerald Dream - US
    Tankinpain - 90 Monk - Azjol-Nerub - US
    Brindell - 90 Warrior - Emerald Dream - US
    ----------------

• AeanderAeander Member LegendaryPosts: 7,836
    CrazKanuk said:
    If you want to spend $60+ on a game and $540+ on drink coasters, all the power to you. Go on. Do it. 
    Stjerneodd
    Aeander said:
    CrazKanuk said:
    If you want to spend $60+ on a game and $540+ on drink coasters, all the power to you. Go on. Do it. 

Actually, in all seriousness, I will end up buying multiple copies since I have 4 systems in my house. Probably digital though. 

Crazkanuk

----------------
    ----------------

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    CrazKanuk said:
    Aeander said:
    CrazKanuk said:

Actually, in all seriousness, I will end up buying multiple copies since I have 4 systems in my house. Probably digital though. 
    I bet you have 4 Teslas because you couldn't decide on the color. Yup, you're the typical smart consumer :)
    Kyleran
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,001

The 500k people on reddit isn't going to deter the millions that will buy this game because it has storm troopers they can shoot their buddies with.

Game is great. MTs are bad. Don't really care, just won't buy stuff with the MTs.
    If net neutrality got this much backlash ffs it wouldn't have even been a thing by now. The neck beards only care about features in a game.
    Yeah, I agree.

Not going to buy this game because I'm not really interested in Star Wars games. However, I did buy Shadow of Mordor, fun game, won't be buying any of the loot boxes.

On one hand people not buying these games are voting with their wallet. On another hand, in some ways they don't matter.

They don't matter because, though a company is going to be looking at reasons they didn't make sales, they are very much going to be looking at how their customers buy. A game like this is going to sell tons. If it sells tons and no one buys the lootboxes then that is a strong measure of what their customers are willing to spend money on. Or, if every customer buys a lootbox then it's proof that their customers like/want the service (or at least are willing to spend for the service).

If someone doesn't buy then there are a lot of reasons they might not buy and no way to know if it was lootboxes or not unless they take part in a survey.

[Deleted User]
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • FlyByKnightFlyByKnight Member EpicPosts: 3,967
    CrazKanuk said:
    That'll show em. You'll definitely get in an invite to The Skulls for this.

"As far as the forum code of conduct, I would think it's a bit outdated and in need of a refre *CLOSED*" 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • immoralthangimmoralthang Member RarePosts: 300
    I hope we can get more AAA shooter games that find a balance between not dividing the community via paid DLC and having a micro transaction system that is purely cosmetic/vanity. I’m not thrilled with the loot box system but I’ll still buy the game because there hasn’t been a Star Wars game with a single player component in years!
    CrazKanuk said:

I know right! It's kind of like boycotting. Video game development costs are getting higher and higher as consumer demands for higher fidelity graphics and better gaming experiences continue to grow. However, if you ask for $100 for the game, people complain (actually, they complained about a $10 hike with the release of the PS4, so it doesn't even need to be $100). So they offset that cost by monetizing the 1%. The 99% who aren't actually going to buy anything, anyway, complain. Sooooooo, the message that is being sent here is what? Oh yeah! They already told us! It's not worth making single player experiences anymore :) 

See, there is an error in logic in not buying the game. First of all, there isn't enough people NOT buying the game to make a difference. Secondly, when half the revenue for the game is coming from microtransactions, 50,000, 100,000, shit 500,000 copies probably doesn't amount to a hill of beans. There are 2 things that make boycotts work. 1) Affect their bottom line. That rarely happens because there is never enough support for the boycott to have an impact. 2) Affect their reputation. Very effective..... unless we're talking about EA, in which case they are already the most hated in the industry, so you can't actually impact them at all with a boycott. From an industry standpoint, this whole microtransaction fight needs to be handled like a civil war, among the community. It needs to be socially unacceptable to do this, to the point that nobody actually wants to buy anything because they will be shunned. That way, you actually make microtransactions less appealing to the 1%, or whatever small percentage, who do actually use them. 
    [Deleted User]GdemamiAeander

Crazkanuk

----------------
    ----------------

• kryntokkryntok Member UncommonPosts: 77
    I wont be buying this whatsoever, EA and Warner Bros please just go away
    edited November 2017
    Iselin said:
    CrazKanuk said:
    Aeander said:
    CrazKanuk said:

I bet you have 4 Teslas because you couldn't decide on the color. Yup, you're the typical smart consumer :)

Actually I have 3 kids with PS4s as well, so 4 consoles in total, so 4 copies of the game, or 2 digital copies. 

See my commentary above for reasoning. Basically, boycotts don't work for many reasons, but the primary one is that people think they can affect their bottom line. EA has been universally hated since the beginning of time, yet they are turning healthier profits than ever. For this reason I'm sure they don't care about being the scapegoat, because while a couple people are busy hating them, they're making bank. 

This issue is one that needs to be dealt with at the community level, not the corporate level. It's like furs. If furs were still acceptable in society, if you were still seen as being a high ranking member of society, then you'd probably still see people selling furs. If you can convince whales that people are going to look down on them or that spending on microtransactions in unacceptable, then maybe they'll stop. OR! Maybe that will simply encourage them to spend even more, since it seems that society has become full of angsty assholes who are just looking to piss other people off. So maybe the whole shaming thing doesn't work anymore :)
    unfilteredJW

Crazkanuk

----------------
    ----------------

• tawesstawess Member EpicPosts: 4,227
    Yeah... having a fairly hard stance on actual P2W....

This game could be free and handing out a free lunch and i´d still pass it up. 

As it sits... It is done for. 

And that is coming from someone who actually likes a bit of gambling with cosmetics. Not a lot but a little. 

This have been a good conversation

CrazKanuk said:
    Iselin said:
    CrazKanuk said:
    Aeander said:
    CrazKanuk said:

Actually I have 3 kids with PS4s as well, so 4 consoles in total, so 4 copies of the game, or 2 digital copies. 

See my commentary above for reasoning. Basically, boycotts don't work for many reasons, but the primary one is that people think they can affect their bottom line. EA has been universally hated since the beginning of time, yet they are turning healthier profits than ever. For this reason I'm sure they don't care about being the scapegoat, because while a couple people are busy hating them, they're making bank. 

This issue is one that needs to be dealt with at the community level, not the corporate level. It's like furs. If furs were still acceptable in society, if you were still seen as being a high ranking member of society, then you'd probably still see people selling furs. If you can convince whales that people are going to look down on them or that spending on microtransactions in unacceptable, then maybe they'll stop. OR! Maybe that will simply encourage them to spend even more, since it seems that society has become full of angsty assholes who are just looking to piss other people off. So maybe the whole shaming thing doesn't work anymore. 
    No one with any sense would ever dream that there isn't a vast majority of people who would do anything other than say "Oooh shiny!" and get it no matter what just because its Star Wars and there's a new movie coming out.

But if EA wants to "engage" in forums for PR purposes and have a Reddit AMA as they have planned for this week, they won't be dealing with that vast majority. They'll be dealing with a crowd who does take the time, for whatever reason, to discuss these things online in detail. A crowd that could very well serve as positive viral marketers... or not. That's why they "engage" and it's sort of awesome when that attempt to get some extra free word of mouth publicity blows up on their face.

Whether boycotts work or don't work is irrelevant. Calling them on their bullshit on public forums that they are trying to use for more PR is. 

Gdemami[Deleted User]
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

• Viper482Viper482 Member LegendaryPosts: 4,064
    #$% EA. I haven't forgiven them for erasing NFL football from the entire PC platform with their monopoly bs.
    Make MMORPG's Great Again!
    Iselin said:
    CrazKanuk said:
    Iselin said:
    CrazKanuk said:
    Aeander said:
    CrazKanuk said:

This issue is one that needs to be dealt with at the community level, not the corporate level. It's like furs. If furs were still acceptable in society, if you were still seen as being a high ranking member of society, then you'd probably still see people selling furs. If you can convince whales that people are going to look down on them or that spending on microtransactions in unacceptable, then maybe they'll stop. OR! Maybe that will simply encourage them to spend even more, since it seems that society has become full of angsty assholes who are just looking to piss other people off. So maybe the whole shaming thing doesn't work anymore. 
    No one with any sense would ever dream that there isn't a vast majority of people who would do anything other than say "Oooh shiny!" and get it no matter what just because its Star Wars and there's a new movie coming out.

But if EA wants to "engage" in forums for PR purposes and have a Reddit AMA as they have planned for this week, they won't be dealing with that vast majority. They'll be dealing with a crowd who does take the time, for whatever reason, to discuss these things online in detail. A crowd that could very well serve as positive viral marketers... or not. That's why they "engage" and it's sort of awesome when that attempt to get some extra free word of mouth publicity blows up on their face.

Whether boycotts work or don't work is irrelevant. Calling them on their bullshit on public forums that they are trying to use for more PR is. 

Assuming that the opposition can remain..... civil. In the event that it becomes a shit show and a bunch of dick-wagging community members start spewing hate and death threats.... well then EA has the whole "Whoa is me!" stance. So maybe an AMA is a good thing for EA. It'll be interesting to see, but based on the level of maturity shown with a lot of this debate, it's difficult to believe that EA will come off looking like the bad ones. That's just my opinion, though. 
    RexKushman

Crazkanuk

----------------
    ----------------

CrazKanuk said:
    Iselin said:
    CrazKanuk said:
    Iselin said:
    CrazKanuk said:
    Aeander said:
    CrazKanuk said:

Assuming that the opposition can remain..... civil. In the event that it becomes a shit show and a bunch of dick-wagging community members start spewing hate and death threats.... well then EA has the whole "Whoa is me!" stance. So maybe an AMA is a good thing for EA. It'll be interesting to see, but based on the level of maturity shown with a lot of this debate, it's difficult to believe that EA will come off looking like the bad ones. That's just my opinion, though. 
    You would have to be very, very biased to not think that they are already looking like "the bad ones" lol.

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    edited November 2017
    CrazKanuk said:wjar
    Iselin said:
    CrazKanuk said:
    Aeander said:
    CrazKanuk said:

This issue is one that needs to be dealt with at the community level, not the corporate level. It's like furs. If furs were still acceptable in society, if you were still seen as being a high ranking member of society, then you'd probably still see people selling furs. If you can convince whales that people are going to look down on them or that spending on microtransactions in unacceptable, then maybe they'll stop. OR! Maybe that will simply encourage them to spend even more, since it seems that society has become full of angsty assholes who are just looking to piss other people off. So maybe the whole shaming thing doesn't work anymore :)
    Excellent idea with the fur example, we need to go around spraying red paint on people who purchase MTs.  

Vitually or otherwise. 

We are East!

;)

CrazKanuk

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• someforumguysomeforumguy Member RarePosts: 4,088
    edited November 2017
    This game uses f2p style hardcore grind for credits and p2w gamble boxes if you want to avoid it. But instead of being free, you pay the max price for it.

People that buy this game are part of the problem. It is your money that validates EA's shitty monetization. Don't have to point at others for doing it too, it is still your choice that actively support EA in this.

laseritIselinGdemamiShodanas
  • AeanderAeander Member LegendaryPosts: 7,836
    CrazKanuk said:
    CrazKanuk said:

I know right! It's kind of like boycotting. Video game development costs are getting higher and higher as consumer demands for higher fidelity graphics and better gaming experiences continue to grow. However, if you ask for $100 for the game, people complain (actually, they complained about a $10 hike with the release of the PS4, so it doesn't even need to be $100). So they offset that cost by monetizing the 1%. The 99% who aren't actually going to buy anything, anyway, complain. Sooooooo, the message that is being sent here is what? Oh yeah! They already told us! It's not worth making single player experiences anymore :) 

See, there is an error in logic in not buying the game. First of all, there isn't enough people NOT buying the game to make a difference. Secondly, when half the revenue for the game is coming from microtransactions, 50,000, 100,000, shit 500,000 copies probably doesn't amount to a hill of beans. There are 2 things that make boycotts work. 1) Affect their bottom line. That rarely happens because there is never enough support for the boycott to have an impact. 2) Affect their reputation. Very effective..... unless we're talking about EA, in which case they are already the most hated in the industry, so you can't actually impact them at all with a boycott. From an industry standpoint, this whole microtransaction fight needs to be handled like a civil war, among the community. It needs to be socially unacceptable to do this, to the point that nobody actually wants to buy anything because they will be shunned. That way, you actually make microtransactions less appealing to the 1%, or whatever small percentage, who do actually use them. 
    Yeah, I bet game development costs are getting real fucking high as high quality standard engines become more affordable, manufacturing costs become almost non existent as digital continues to increase its dominance of the market, and offshore tax havens are used to avoid paying taxes.

No one in the industry actually uses this argument. Only corporate shills and fanboys. Want to know why? Because it's patently false. It's a convenient lie to hide behind. 

They release multiple special editions because they want to. They nickel and dime us with microtransactions because they want to. They introduce fucking gambling mechanics because they want to. Want to. Not need to. 
    Gdemami
  • laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 7,591
    This game uses f2p style hardcore grind for credits and p2w gamble boxes if you want to avoid it. But instead of being free, you pay the max price for it.

People that buy this game are part of the problem. It is your money that validates EA's shitty monetization. Don't have to point at others for doing it too, it is still your choice that actively support EA in this.

Its like taking candy from a baby ;)

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee