Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Who else thinks fractals should be removed as a requirement?

TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,163
Let me rephrase that, a requirement for mats you need to make legendary and some of the ascended gear; and don't even get me started on them tying Tyria mastery points to them. I don't know who's idea fractals were but they should be fired. It's hard to find a group that won't kick half the folks they don't want or rage quit before you even start, and most times the puzzles and combat in them are just not fun; especially if the group you are with is terrible at it.

It's much easy for me and the amount of time I have in my life to do in-world events or only log in based on what boss timer I'm watching instead of standing around looking for a decent fractal group/PuG. In PvP players just do what they normally do and PvP. In world vs world players do what they normally do and WvW war, yet for some reason in PvE you have to go out of your way to play some convoluted mini-dungeon system?

I'm not a fan of the whole rare item collecting in GW2 but I would rather deal with item drops than mess with decaying fractal progression which I feel is a punishment for not playing on a regular basis (stupid). So with that said I think they should remove fractals as a forced requirement to obtain some of the fractal specific mats you need to create some of the ingame items, add some more exploratory mastery points to Tyria, beyond what they just added and allow them to be completely optional like I thought was the original intention.

SWG Bloodfin vet
Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

Comments

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    Well, you have a point at least for the PvP players. Legendaries are hard to get for a reason but expecting PvPers to run fractals is a bit much for my taste as well.

While you could get the precursors from the mystic toilet or even extremely rare world boss drops that is still unfair. That people just playing the open world would be forced to flush the toilet is one thing but I think the game have screwed the PvP fans enough.

Not that I myself bothers with collecting the precursors anyways, it is just too darn expensive (or at least used to be a couple of months ago) to be worth the hard work. I have 1 legendary and I have another precursor at the bank (for the Predator), I bought both of them for gold but the grind to get that gold was not much more work then actually doing the collection.
  • FaelsunFaelsun Member UncommonPosts: 501
    edited November 2017
    They never should have stabbed their original player base in the back by forcing this content in the first place, I have not played in years but I know its STILL very unpopular and most people dont even want to do this kind of content in GW2. What they wanted was casual play and some pvp esport focus, hah ha, that didnt turn out so well.
  • MardukkMardukk Member RarePosts: 2,222
    I've not done a fractal, I'm guessing it is a very difficult dungeon.  People complained about the normal dungeons to no end at the start.  With this supposedly being the catered to the ultra casual I see no reason that I should be required to run fractals for anything.  Luckily/unluckily you can buy gold for RL money.  I like the combat and open world design of the game but the loot never upgrading should come with never being required to run hardcore dungeons with basement dwellers....there are other games for those types.
  • rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    I did the very first fractal in the game and didn't complete it because it was too long.

I love GW2 to death, but i will never acquire anything they lock behind a fractal. I just don't care enough about fractals to do them for any reason.

I rather they add those materials to a WvWvW/Mists maps instead.

• DakeruDakeru Member EpicPosts: 3,802
    Tiller said:
     decaying fractal progression which I feel is a punishment for not playing on a regular basis (stupid). 

I'm a bit confused now.
    I stopped doing fractals when my steady group fell apart 6 months ago.
    But I have never heard of decaying progression and can't find it on wiki either.

I did the very first fractal in the game and didn't complete it because it was too long.

Uh at level 1 the npcs have such low health that the Urban Battleground will take maybe 15 minutes?
    Harbinger of Fools
  • RenoakuRenoaku Member EpicPosts: 3,157
    I agree no one should be forced to run to get stuff to craft with this is one of the reasons I would not recommend GW2, while GW2 could be a great game it lacks a lot of content such as housingBoss Timers on world map, And a good crafting system.

These 3 things are what keeps me from staying in GW2 no matter how many times I have looked at it over the years, and I like Guild Wars 1 better, because back in the day of GW1 you didn't have player housing, or good cosmetics and all that so it was the best arena game I enjoyed it, but GW2 came out, didn't have as much cross class customization, and lacked so many asepects that a MMO developed in the perioid GW2 was developed in should have had.

This is where Ashes OF Creation, again because the Demo's I have seen look somewhat similar to Guild Wars 2 can be developed as a better game and have all the aspects and features GW2 does not have.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0X3WKcb18PA  See how the game somewhat looks a little like GW2 game-play?
    ByrgenarHofen
  • DakeruDakeru Member EpicPosts: 3,802
    I'm not sure what shocks me more now.

That fact that this thread turned into yet another GW1 > GW2 topic or that now unreleased games count as better than GW2 because unreleased games have more features...
    Harbinger of Fools
  • btdtbtdt Member RarePosts: 523
    If you want to craft a legendary, you have to do some legendary stuff... like going out of your way to do fractals.  It's not like you can't do it, you don't want to do it.  If that is the case, no legendary crafted item.  It's a choice.

It's not like other games haven't done similar things.  The concept of "legendary" seems to escape people.  If you could do it an easier way, you would... thereby making it less legendary and more ordinary.  Reality is, if you really wanted it, you would do the fractals.  You're having a crisis of sorts here... you want it, but not so much as to put in the effort for it.  Question is, if you didn't have it, would you quit the game?  That is the only real question you need to ask yourself.

• ElsaboltsElsabolts Member RarePosts: 3,476
    I like billfold crafting it seems to work faster.
    Tiller
    " Life Liberty and the Pursuit of Those Who  Would Threaten It "
                                            MAGA
  • TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,163
    btdt said:
    If you want to craft a legendary, you have to do some legendary stuff... like going out of your way to do fractals.  It's not like you can't do it, you don't want to do it.  If that is the case, no legendary crafted item.  It's a choice.

It's not like other games haven't done similar things.  The concept of "legendary" seems to escape people.  If you could do it an easier way, you would... thereby making it less legendary and more ordinary.  Reality is, if you really wanted it, you would do the fractals.  You're having a crisis of sorts here... you want it, but not so much as to put in the effort for it.  Question is, if you didn't have it, would you quit the game?  That is the only real question you need to ask yourself.

The older legendary weapons never required you to do fractals. I crafted 2 already back when we needed wvw map completion which even though it took time for map rotations, I liked it better than fractals. I wish they had stuck to the old game plan tbh.

SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter