Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Final Fantasy XIV - Face-to-Face with FFXIV's Naoki Yoshida - MMORPG.com

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
edited November 2017 in News & Features Discussion

imageFinal Fantasy XIV - Face-to-Face with FFXIV's Naoki Yoshida - MMORPG.com

Final Fantasy XIV is enjoying its most successful year since its relaunch as A Realm Reborn in 2013 — so there’s probably no better time to speak to the man credited with its success. Last week, I had the chance to do just that, and sat down for a face-to-face conversation with producer and director Naoki Yoshida.

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• WarlyxWarlyx Member EpicPosts: 3,363
    Yoshi needs to bring something new and fresh to the game , because it has become stale , new gear , new ilvls , new bosses is all good bur chasing the carrot is boring after all this years.
  • JudgeUKJudgeUK Member RarePosts: 1,679
    Yoshi P's answers and approach accurately reflects the game itself. It's not what some would call a modern online game, with the developers mindset clearly focused on long term strategies.
    Interesting to note the acknowledgement of in and out players, and the design decisions based around the person to have interests outside of the game.

It does take a similar mindset to enjoy the game, with the recognition that some things won't happen tomorrow, or even the day after.
    Consequently, the game isn't for everyone - what game is? But it does offer tremendous enjoyment and challenge for people who like the longer term pattern of traditional mmo's. And from it's player numbers, it appears to be doing this very effectively.
    Long may it continue, and hopefully encourage other companies to look again at producing quality long term mmorpg's.
    zanfire[Deleted User]
  • DeadSpockDeadSpock Member UncommonPosts: 403
    I have no respect for yoshi, took a FF game and turned it to a wow style game I enjoyed FFXI and the original FFXIV unique gameplay.
    zanfireBuschkatze
  • nekoquanixnekoquanix Member UncommonPosts: 10
    2.5 s global cooldown for skill is a joke in FFXIV. Make it 1.0 s top
    Buschkatze
  • munnmunn Member UncommonPosts: 27
    But can you send tells/whispers to people in dungeons yet?
  • TalonsinTalonsin Member EpicPosts: 3,619

DeadSpock said:

I have no respect for yoshi, took a FF game and turned it to a wow style game I enjoyed FFXI and the original FFXIV unique gameplay.

This reminds me of when I used to watch Salon Takeover and the salon owner was half a million in debt and Tabitha would come in and suggest changes and the owner would say Tabitha was a moron and didnt know anything about running a business.

I'm sure you did enjoy the game at launch but for every person like you who liked it, thousands hated it. The game launched to horrible reviews and lost epic amounts of players each month. There was no way this game would have survived if not for the changes.
    Greyhaven[Deleted User]Slivver
    "Sean (Murray) saying MP will be in the game is not remotely close to evidence that at the point of purchase people thought there was MP in the game."  - SEANMCAD

• GreyhavenGreyhaven Member UncommonPosts: 38
    Out of all the games I have played this one is the dearest to me, I have made life long friends, and it's changed my world view on a great many things. I laugh at anyone that says they have no respect for Yoshi san, anyone that has achieved what he has, doesn't require the respect of a Bridge dweller.
  • QuarterStackQuarterStack Member RarePosts: 546
    edited November 2017
    Regarding expanding the gear options:
    - "He says this is intended, and there are no plans to complicate the system further."
    - “They get higher item-level gear, but they also want some customisation such as changing attributes and stats to make it more complicated, to create something more original for themselves.”
    - "The first is new players — the simpler the system is to understand, the easier it is for them to progress. MMORPGs are already very complex, he says, so he wants to give people smooth growth based on their item level. The second is that his team expects people to focus on their lives and play other games between major content patches; anything that makes it harder for people to dip in and out is something the developers want to avoid."
    So, as usual, he confuses "adding more variety and options" with "making it more complicated", giving it a negative connotation, to make it sound like a "bad thing". He should be in Cable News; he can spin with the best of them.

I still can't decide if he thinks MMO players in general are that dumb, if it's FFXIV players specifically, or if he simply lacks confidence to create such a system, but passes it off as "not wanting to complicate it for the players" instead.

Meanwhile, numerous MMOs have added lots of options for gear and builds to accomodate players who'd like to try different playstyles, and the players have handled it just fine. Even in FFXI, while a certain group chased the latest and greatest Meta-du-jour, plenty of others assembled different builds, or sought to experiment with alternative setups that better suited their ideal playstyle.

"The third is the practicality. “Especially when we consider Ultimate content, the balance is set at a very thin line. The attributes and stats of the gear are based on a very simple formula so that we can balance content at this level. If we are to give more uniqueness or customisation to gear, we have to check all of the patterns, which makes balancing much harder.”
    Translation: "We deliberately stunted the potential of our gear system so we can have an easier time of it, and don't have to work as hard".

Well, okay then. I guess that falls in line with the track they've been following with the rest of the game as well...Make everything as simple and dumbed-down as possible
    "He adds: “Even if players see they have the freedom to set their own gear [in terms of stats and effects], they will try to find the most efficient combination, so the best-in-slot will be set by someone and others will just follow them. In order to give people interesting and fun content, we made the gear system as simple as possible.”
    This bit is just cop-out grade BS. Not everyone cares about having to have "best in slot". I'd wager most don't.

Meanwhile, there are many others who would like the *option* to try and find other builds that suit them personally, or accomodate a change in playstyle. This is exactly the case in ESO.

Yes, there are the "meta builds" that a portion of the community follows, to have "BIS", and such. But there's also *many others* who seek out alternative builds that allow for a greater variety of playstyles to be supported.

The point is, it provides *options* to the player. Those who want to follow the "BIS Meta", can do so. Those who want to follow guides for other types of builds can do so - there's plenty out there. And those who'd like to experiment and come up with their own variations can do so as well. There's a lot of players who enjoy theory-crafting and trying out different ideas to see how they work. But screw those people. A small portion of the playerbase wouldn't make the most of such options, so no one gets to enjoy them. Way to think big, Yoshida.

If Yoshida truly believes people wouldn't experiment and find alternative builds and playstyles - even as an alternative to their BIS Meta builds when they're not doing end-game content - then he's more out of touch with the genre than I thought.

More and more people are starting to question aloud, right in SE's own forums, and elsewhere, whether Yoshida is still the right captain for this ship, or if it's time for him to step aside and pass the wheel on to someone more qualified, with more vision and courage, whom doesn't treat his players like idiots.

Comments, excuses and cop-outs like these, and so many others, are an example of why. Sad.

Post edited by QuarterStack on
  • acidbloodacidblood Member RarePosts: 878

2.5 s global cooldown for skill is a joke in FFXIV. Make it 1.0 s top

At high levels FFXIV has classes of varying speeds, so if you want to press buttons as fast as possible then play a Bard, Dark Knight, Ninja or Monk.

As to the interview, it's the usual mixed bag of hope and cluelessness:
    - The classes may be more 'balanced' than ever (at least on a striking dummy), but there are still clear winners and losers in actual content. The real issue however is that a number of classes just feel less fun to play in 4.X than they did in 3.X, especially at less than the level cap (which on volume, and depending on your daily activities, is most of the content in the game).
    - It's good to hear they are considering more world content, that Eureka won't just be Diadem 3.0, and Deep Dungeon 2.0 will be something more, yet they still won't address the issue of 'new' dungeons being irrelevant before they are even released.
    - It will be interesting to see what sort of customisation Eureka offers, but gear is only complicated (despite being ‘simple’) because they make it so... i.e. The game does not tell you what the actual effects of various stats are; if I want to up my damage should I take Skill Speed? Crit Rating? Direct Hit? Determination? Tenacity if I'm a Tank? NFI > thus iLvl.

This is not to say they haven't and aren't doing a good job, but at this point FFXIV is really starting to feel like the same thing repeated over and over again with none of the fundamental issues ever really being addressed properly (3.X > 4.X class changes and cross-role :cough: )