Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Return Home to Vana'diel Campaign Celebrates 15 Years - Final Fantasy XI - MMORPG.com

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
edited November 2017 in News & Features Discussion

Return Home to Vana'diel Campaign Celebrates 15 Years - Final Fantasy XI - MMORPG.com

Final Fantasy XI News - The Final Fantasy XI site has been updated with a celebratory event for the game's 15th anniversary. Called "Return Home to Vana'diel", the campaign invites anyone who has subscribed to FFXI in the past to come back to the game to play free of charge from now through November 24th.

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Post edited by SBFord on

Comments

• AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    Make sure you play on Asura if you're thinking of returning since that's the most populated English server. All the others are severely low pop or more JP than EN on them.
  • DeadSpockDeadSpock Member UncommonPosts: 403
    edited November 2017
    NVM
    Post edited by DeadSpock on
  • TaishiFoxTaishiFox Member RarePosts: 999
    edited November 2017
    This actually started well over a day ago
    Albatroes said:
    Make sure you play on Asura if you're thinking of returning since that's the most populated English server. All the others are severely low pop or more JP than EN on them.
    I concur to this.

imageimage

• DakeruDakeru Member EpicPosts: 3,802
    Kind of tempted to install but dealing with the playonline client is such a hassle each time.
    onelesslight
    Harbinger of Fools
  • DeadSpockDeadSpock Member UncommonPosts: 403
    lol I just installed takes 15 minutes to install but updating says 6 hours...
  • ApridiseApridise Member UncommonPosts: 72

DeadSpock said:

lol I just installed takes 15 minutes to install but updating says 6 hours...

You have to keep the client active, so it installs MUCH faster!
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    I don't think server matters all that much,the game has changed so much that yo ucan solo 99% of the time now and with npc's and/or a pet and npc fellow as well.
    The whole direction is now similar to all the rest and that is end game grinding>>>NO THANKS.

So i would suggest grab a buddy or 2 just goof around and have some fun killing stuff,there is enough varied content to last a long time.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

Its definitely more of a "co-op" experience vs mmorpg now for anyone curious, so you'll probably have some fun nostalgia with a small group but dont expect there to be a massive group of people for things. Most stuff gets done with a group of 6 or below since difficulty of content is already set at 6 player difficulty but scales exponentially if you do it with more for some reason so people dont really bother going beyond 6 people for most stuff.
  • Peco115Peco115 Member UncommonPosts: 31
    Just bring out a classic server already
    AlbatroeszanfireDeadSpock
    Peco115 said:
    Just bring out a classic server already
    Agreed. Even I had to stop playing the current version after a couple of days because things feel just too catered and kind of defeats the point of how the game used to be. From my experiences in FFXI's earlier years, you would run into a lot less pricks simply because you leveled slowed and grouping was the best way to make faster progression, so chances are you would see the same people for quite a while. Even if you say, jumped servers, that service had a 90 real life day cool down and there was no way to change names unless someone already had your name on the other server. Some people thought they could keep their names without anyone being able to track them until BG forums had a thread dedicated to douche players so you knew who did what incase they randomly showed up somewhere else. My point is, it was a lot more of a community experience back then and you learned to care about others simply because it would end up helping you if you did (since you'd be around those people for a while in most cases).
  • zanfirezanfire Member UncommonPosts: 969
    After me and a few friends returned to XI when the last expansion came out it was the BS they took from XIV like ilvl's that pissed us all off enough to drop the game like hot garbage. I loved this game and will always have the awesome memory's from the pre-abyssea days, but its not anything like it once was and i can't get myself to play it at all.

With all that said i'm still glad the game is still going after all these years (with a sub no less). I would love to see an offical classic server or one that update until the end of the 75 era.
    DeadSpock
  • Peco115Peco115 Member UncommonPosts: 31

zanfire said:

After me and a few friends returned to XI when the last expansion came out it was the BS they took from XIV like ilvl's that pissed us all off enough to drop the game like hot garbage. I loved this game and will always have the awesome memory's from the pre-abyssea days, but its not anything like it once was and i can't get myself to play it at all.

With all that said i'm still glad the game is still going after all these years (with a sub no less). I would love to see an offical classic server or one that update until the end of the 75 era.

No reason why there cant be one anymore especially with WoW jumping on board on doing it as well even after they said no for years. Soooooo many people would return for that surely?

Peco115 said:

zanfire said:

No reason why there cant be one anymore especially with WoW jumping on board on doing it as well even after they said no for years. Soooooo many people would return for that surely?

yeah classic XI servers would be awesome. That being said, the only real problems I had with abyssea were that you could enter at level 30 and the stupid infinite rr3 atma. If the entry level was 75 and that atma removed, the game would've been fine imo. The ilvl system was also completely unnecessary and to me is still completely awkward and halfarsed for a game that allows you to change equipment freely during combat. The trust system kind of ruined the game for me as well cause there's honestly no point to group with people for 75% of the game's content if you're geared well enough.