Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

EA Wins Dubious Honor as Most Downvoted Reddit Post Ever for Star Wars Battlefront 2 - MMORPG.com

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
edited November 2017 in News & Features Discussion

EA Wins Dubious Honor as Most Downvoted Reddit Post Ever for Star Wars Battlefront 2 - MMORPG.com News

EA has earned a rather dubious honor today with Star Wars Battlefront 2 the subject of the most downvoted Reddit Post in history. The post was made in response to a Redditor who wrote on the subject of how heroes are unlocked in the game. The thread is called "Seriously? I paid $80 to have Vader locked?"

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Post edited by SBFord on
ByrgenarHofen

Comments

• HeraseHerase Member RarePosts: 993
    Not surprised, when you make a comment like

"The intent is to provide players with a sense of pride and accomplishment for unlocking different heroes."

But then allow people to pay to skip it, you're asking for trouble.

ByrgenarHofenSBFordSlapshot1188CoolitIselin[Deleted User]Cecropiabartoni33ArskaaaOctagon7711and 11 others.
  • RomeoRomeoRomeoRomeo Member UncommonPosts: 48
    Staying so far away from this game. Had game of the year potential but trust EA to be the developer that this awful micro transaction loot box culture to the absolute limit. I'm honestly so tired of it
    ByrgenarHofenSBFordd_20[Deleted User]grimalCecropiaCogohilaseritAlomarrojoArcueidand 3 others.
  • TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297
    If they get away with all this and the game is a massive success then there is no hope for the future of gaming. This is the make or break moment.
    ByrgenarHofenSBFordRexKushmand_20tyrrinAlomarCyber_wastelandPhloomrojoArcueidAvarixand 4 others.
    I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
  • SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
    I will be cancelling my pre-order as soon as I can, though that's apparently not "allowed" until release day. Between the closures of Visceral and BioWare Montreal and the earlier issue with loot boxes, this one's got greed written all over it. While I'm sure it'll still make money because it's Star Wars, after all, it won't earn my money.
    ByrgenarHofenRenoakud_20CoolitIselinmarganculosk61977Righteous_Rock[Deleted User]n3v3rriv3rand 17 others.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

• Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,947
    SBFord said:
    I will be cancelling my pre-order as soon as I can, though that's apparently not "allowed" until release day. Between the closures of Visceral and BioWare Montreal and the earlier issue with loot boxes, this one's got greed written all over it. While I'm sure it'll still make money because it's Star Wars, after all, it won't earn my money.
    I agree.  Usually just a few strings of John Williams score will get me to open my pockets.  My kids talked me into going to Star Wars Celebration last April... We managed to brave the masses and get perfect seats for the first showing of Episode 8 a few weeks from now... My daughter has a Rebels poster signed by the entire cast...  

But no...  I'm out of this one.   I thought they were changing their policy when I read their announcement a few weeks back, but it seems to be far too little.   Fuck EA.

SBFord[Deleted User]CogohityrrinAlomarrojoArcueid[Deleted User]Cazriel

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• KumaponKumapon Member EpicPosts: 1,556
    edited November 2017
    The problem is the massive grind it takes to get one hero. It's 60k credits, and you only get 50 credits wither you win or lose a match. 

You still need those same credits to buy crates to upgrade your character, so it won't be crap tier and get one shotted. 

As a player, your faced with this monumental grind, or you can just swipe your credit card to buy loot boxes, and hope you get lucky. 
  • d_20d_20 Member RarePosts: 1,878
    I just don't buy EA. Simple as that.
    SBFordCogohipantaroAlomarGorwe

• XxxusernametakenxxxXxxusernametakenxxx Member UncommonPosts: 127
    The truth is 90% of those crying on Reddit about this would have found something else to cry about.  Today its loot boxes everyone cries about so they can get up votes, a year ago the kewl phrase was p2w, the year before that it was every AAA company is evil. 

The truth is forums official, reddit and even random forums like this those on these forums are the minority of gamers.  You go over to this thread on reddit and these idiots (yes thats what they are) are calling for a revolution in an effort to force 'another' video game crash.  The truth is video game sales continue to increase year after year and will continue to no matter how much they cry. 

The state of the video game (forums) community is at an all time worst.  The only thing that needs to happen is to have a crash of forums.   Before a developer gets rid of loot boxes I can see them getting rid of forums and having a dialog with the community because yes today most on forums are entitled, pathetic arm chair developers.  Those are the facts it may be hard for some to accept, it may not be the kewl thing to say on a forum and it may not politically correct to say but in the end it doesnt matter its 100% fact. 
    IselinEponyxDamorByrgenarHofenKyleranalkarionlogMadFrenchieAeandergrimalAyinWarzodand 14 others.
    edited November 2017
    The truth is 90% of those crying on Reddit about this would have found something else to cry about.  Today its loot boxes everyone cries about so they can get up votes, a year ago the kewl phrase was p2w, the year before that it was every AAA company is evil. 

The truth is forums official, reddit and even random forums like this those on these forums are the minority of gamers.  You go over to this thread on reddit and these idiots (yes thats what they are) are calling for a revolution in an effort to force 'another' video game crash.  The truth is video game sales continue to increase year after year and will continue to no matter how much they cry. 

The state of the video game (forums) community is at an all time worst.  The only thing that needs to happen is to have a crash of forums.   Before a developer gets rid of loot boxes I can see them getting rid of forums and having a dialog with the community because yes today most on forums are entitled, pathetic arm chair developers.  Those are the facts it may be hard for some to accept, it may not be the kewl thing to say on a forum and it may not politically correct to say but in the end it doesnt matter its 100% fact. 
    So to sum this up.  This RNG loot box scheme is OK because:

• People complained about P2W and AAA companies (which both ironically also apply here...)
    • Posters are idiots
    • The community is at "an all time worst"
    • Forum readers are entitled and pathetic

OK... you go with that argument.  Good luck!

Post edited by Slapshot1188 on
    EponyxDamorByrgenarHofenKylerank61977MadFrenchieAyinpantarotyrrinborghive49[Deleted User]and 5 others.

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• WellspringWellspring Member EpicPosts: 1,464
    I haven't been following the game. I assume the issue isn't that it takes 40 hours to earn enough credits to unlock a hero. But, the fact that you can buy credits with real life money and buy past the grind?
    --------------------------------------------
  • MaxBaconMaxBacon Member LegendaryPosts: 7,765
    200k downvotes? Damm that phrasing didn't come out right.
    Phloom

I haven't been following the game. I assume the issue isn't that it takes 40 hours to earn enough credits to unlock a hero. But, the fact that you can buy credits with real life money and buy past the grind?

You can buy loot boxes and turn what you get out them into credits that you can use to buy whatever you want. So, yes, you can buy past the grind.
    SBFordWellspringAlomar

• People complained about P2W and AA companies (which both ironically also apply here...)
    • Posters are idiots

Hmm well obviously you had some difficulty understanding my post. 

RNG loot boxes are OK because apparently more than the vocal minority on forums clearly like and accept them.

P2W and AAA companies were the hot topics over the last couple year on forums.  Yes not sure why that one was hard to understand. 

The posters on reddit crying thinking their tears will result in another video game crash in my opinion are idiots yes. 

Ok well its nice of you to leave out a major part here so let me just add it.  Yes the FORUM communities in video games are at an all time worse.  If you cant see that well you are just part of the problem. 

Wow I would give your reading skills about a 2 out of 10 here but the truth is you purposely tried to change what I said.  I said that most on forums (those posting) are entitled, pathetic arm chair developers again if you cant see this you are part of the problem.

Hey you keep up your crusade and we will see what gets the boot first.  Loot boxes that clearly the majority of players dont have a problem with or forums filled with people like you. 
    EponyxDamorByrgenarHofenIselinSlapshot1188KyleranalkarionlogAeandergrimalAyinPsYcHoGBRand 10 others.

The best thing about this post is that everything you've said is actually 0% fact.

The community can make a difference. That was proven with the Xbox One. Microsoft were forced onto the back burner until they sorted things out and, even though they have fixed the issues and the Xbox One is a fine system now, they are still suffering from what happened at the start.
    ByrgenarHofenk61977grimalAyinCogohiForgrimmAlomarBattleSaintCazrielSteelhelm
    SBFord said:
    FYI it was not their "Thread" it was their "comment" to a thread.  So your title is wrong. 
    edited November 2017

The best thing about this post is that everything you've said is actually 0% fact.

The community can make a difference. That was proven with the Xbox One. Microsoft were forced onto the back burner until they sorted things out and, even though they have fixed the issues and the Xbox One is a fine system now, they are still suffering from what happened at the start.
    No actually everything I said is in fact 100% fact.  The xbox sold more xbox one at launch than they ever did prior.  Just because the PS4 had better sales doesnt mean the xbox suffered.  Hey if you are going to try and fail to call  fact false you may not want to add fake facts to your own post. 

Also my post clearly states now.  The forum community is 100X worse than it was back in 2012-2013 when your little xbox thing happened. 
    IselinSlapshot1188KyleranByrgenarHofenMadFrenchiePsYcHoGBRCogohityrrinFlyByKnightWalkinGlennand 1 other.
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,435

No actually everything I said is in fact 100% fact.  The xbox sold more xbox one at launch than they ever did prior.  Just because the PS4 had better sales doesnt mean the xbox suffered.  Hey if you are going to try and fail to call  fact false you may not want to add fake facts to your own post. 

Also my post clearly states now.  The forum community is 100X worse than it was back in 2012-2013 when your little xbox thing happened. 
    Can't speak to other forums, but we've consistently been the same hypercritical "cesspool" for as long as I can remember. 

Just swimming thru the mire here.

;)

ByrgenarHofenSlapshot1188SBFordPhaserlightCazrielTinkerBellCommando

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719

The forum community is 100X worse than it was back in 2012-2013 when your little xbox thing happened. 
    Here's hoping we hit the 1000X mark in the next five years! 
    tyrrin
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• ByrgenarHofenByrgenarHofen Member UncommonPosts: 55
    Xxxusernametakenxxx said:
      Loot boxes that clearly the majority of players dont have a problem with 
    We should all eat shit, billions of flies cannot be wrong......
    bartoni33cmacqtyrrinBattleSaintCazriel

The Xbox One sales were a hell of lot less than what they predicted and budgeted for. That is a failure in the business world. It's not about whether they made money, it's about whether they made as much money as they thought they would.

My point, though, is that without the controversial decisions they made it would have been more successful and the community, that according to you doesn't matter one bit, totally changed the whole system and the way Microsoft operates.

Anyway, I can see there's absolutely no point in trying to talk to you. You just spouted out a load more 'non' facts and are on the defensive regardless of whether you're right or wrong.
    ByrgenarHofenAyinCazriel
    BTW clearly the Russian bots are at play here.  It went from 47k which is still impressive to 200k in under 6 hours.  Pretty suspect if you ask me. 
    ByrgenarHofengrimaltyrrinBattleSaint
  • JoshNogJoshNog Member UncommonPosts: 18
    edited November 2017
    So people keep saying you only earn a fixed amount of credits per game regardless of your performance.

And then, I find this on the official forum:

https://battlefront-forums.ea.com/discussion/80781/notes-regarding-progression

So, who do we believe? How do I know the guy posting on Reddit really knows? How do I know he is not just a rager? How do I know EA is going to stick to what it is mentioned on that post I linked?

To be honest, I will stop caring about what others say. That was gaming back when internet didn't exist. Damn, you even only trusted the cover of a game to buy it or not.

Now we look for a reassurance for the game to be excellent since development and to last years.

And for those ready to jump to my throat, I hate loot boxes, so much. That's why I am reading to see the impact before buying it.

Also, they talk about matchmaking similar players with similar unlocks. People assumed there would just be unfair matches based on the assumption of no matchmaking according to cards unlocked.

Seriously, I read tons of posts and although I want to think people are honest and they talk about what they know, it clearly shows otherwise.

I will just find out things by myself, like we should all do.
    edited November 2017
    BTW clearly the Russian bots are at play here.  It went from 47k which is still impressive to 200k in under 6 hours.  Pretty suspect if you ask me. 
    While you're researching this obvious attempt by Russia to influence our democratic forums please also see if you can find those missing Emails and a certain dossier...

I just love the whole "Blame The Russians" defense. For a guy who's first point was about the trendy thing to complain about... this is kind of priceless.
    ByrgenarHofenCogohi[Deleted User]AlomarBattleSaintTinkerBellCommando

• k61977k61977 Member EpicPosts: 1,500
    edited November 2017

• People complained about P2W and AA companies (which both ironically also apply here...)
    • Posters are idiots

Hmm well obviously you had some difficulty understanding my post. 

RNG loot boxes are OK because apparently more than the vocal minority on forums clearly like and accept them.

P2W and AAA companies were the hot topics over the last couple year on forums.  Yes not sure why that one was hard to understand. 

The posters on reddit crying thinking their tears will result in another video game crash in my opinion are idiots yes. 

Ok well its nice of you to leave out a major part here so let me just add it.  Yes the FORUM communities in video games are at an all time worse.  If you cant see that well you are just part of the problem. 

Wow I would give your reading skills about a 2 out of 10 here but the truth is you purposely tried to change what I said.  I said that most on forums (those posting) are entitled, pathetic arm chair developers again if you cant see this you are part of the problem.

Hey you keep up your crusade and we will see what gets the boot first.  Loot boxes that clearly the majority of players dont have a problem with or forums filled with people like you. 

I think he perfectly summed up most of what you said but he did it in few words to be exact. While I can agree there are a lot of people that do nothing but complain no matter what happens, it is never OK for a company to basically use tactics like these to try and force customers to buy more and more for a product they already bought. The rate of exchange for credits is a slap in the face to anyone that buys the game at this rate. You should be able to play a game to the fullest without outside purchases to completely unlock the game within a reasonable time frame. If it is indeed 60000 to unlock one character and you only receive 50 per match it would take a total of 1200 games to unlock one character, unless you were going to pony up more money on the product.

You are coming off sounding more like a dev yourself that is trying to say it is OK to bleed your customers. Yeah forums like this one don't really matter to much when it comes to games, that is what the official forums are for, but what happens when a person opens a thread to complain about stuff like this on most official forums, they get closed asap. Any bad press is bad for a company, even if it comes from a forum like this one. $40-60 might not be a drop in a hat to most devs but when that starts to multiply because of bad press it does matter. Just look at what has happened to Mass Effect as a good example.
    Slapshot1188AyinCogohiBattleSaintTinkerBellCommando