Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Heroes of the Storm - Blizzcon 2017 - HotS Interview with Tony Su and John Deshazer - MMORPG.com

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
edited November 2017 in News & Features Discussion

imageHeroes of the Storm - Blizzcon 2017 - HotS Interview with Tony Su and John Deshazer - MMORPG.com

Heroes of the Storm has come a long way. The game contninues to win over MOBA fans and works well with players who want to find the fun side of the genre. Their Heroes of the Dorm tournaments have gotten lot of attention and continue to push the game into a positive light. Adding to this divine influence are Hanzo and Alexstraza. We spoke with Tony Su and John Deshazer about the upcoming changes to Heroes of the Storm.

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• farwardenfarwarden Member CommonPosts: 6
    Would love to see if at least fort gun will fire in enemy heroes if they diving you instead of focusing minions. Infinite ammo sounds great though but it will for sure make games longer..
  • CorileannaCorileanna Member UncommonPosts: 94
    Hmm, tried this near it's beginning. Liked it but was worried about the community after paying LoL. I did catch on to the mechanics and play style better on this one but wasn't sure I could ever get that far. I have liked the niche MOBAs of the past. That one that was like fantasy themed, had some awesome features and was published by EA i believe, it closed. And I loved that super hero one that hardly made it out of beta.. I also tried Strife, and it was nice but it's que was too slow and the toxicity was not as improved as the devs claimed, plus really slow updates..

So.. I'll try this one again. Just gotta go find batteries for my mouse. I really miss my Razor mouse that had a cord and multiple buttons. I think my dad misplaced it when we moved, and my fiancee says those mice are too expensive when a $20 will work. Ugh.
  • JaimlJaiml Member UncommonPosts: 130
    Voice Chat make it better? Not on any MOBA I have ever played. Well, mainly LoL and that could get viscous. I have seen people rip up on the noobs playing against the bots!

I'll admit after reading about this over and over, I will probably give it a shot. But if the community is toxic I will walk away. I like MOBAs but the community turns me off most of the time.
  • farwardenfarwarden Member CommonPosts: 6

But if the community is toxic I will walk away.

Maybe it is, but you cannot communicate with enemy team in game, so only your own teammates might rip on you :)
  • goozmaniagoozmania Member RarePosts: 394
    edited November 2017
    The community is pretty awful in HotS; I was a Rank 1 (preseason) and master player for the first 3 seasons, but when I could no longer get pain medication for my foot, which also happened to have a side effect of making the community tolerable (opiates are a miracle of nature), I could no longer play. It's inherently bad because it's a F2P game, but it's also a Blizzard game, which attracts the absolute worst personalities.
    It's sad, because I often think fondly of the game, but when I load it up, I immediately remember the people, and end up closing it.
    UNH0LYEV1L
  • Soki123Soki123 Member RarePosts: 2,558
    goozmania said:
    The community is pretty awful in HotS; I was a Rank 1 (preseason) and master player for the first 3 seasons, but when I could no longer get pain medication for my foot, which also happened to have a side effect of making the community tolerable (opiates are a miracle of nature), I could no longer play. It's inherently bad because it's a F2P game, but it's also a Blizzard game, which attracts the absolute worst personalities.
    It's sad, because I often think fondly of the game, but when I load it up, I immediately remember the people, and end up closing 
    Funny how I find the community nothing like that at all. The odd person sure, but as a whole it s a great community.

Saying it s a Blizzard game is part of the reason alone makes your comment ridiculous.
    TsiyaXingbairongHorusraJunglecharly

Soki123 said:

goozmania said:

It's sad, because I often think fondly of the game, but when I load it up, I immediately remember the people, and end up closing 
    Funny how I find the community nothing like that at all. The odd person sure, but as a whole it s a great community.

Saying it s a Blizzard game is part of the reason alone makes your comment ridiculous.

Hmm, but blizzard tends to have some competitive games, such as SC2, and it being free makes more people want to try it, thus once the word spreads its good and is made by blizzard seems like it attracts those who don't want to lose, but other games not made by blizzard are similar so, meh.
  • SomeHumanSomeHuman Member UncommonPosts: 560
    I play HotS nightly and I don’t encounter too much toxicity. If I do, then I mute them. If they violate conduct, I report them without hesitation. Communities are toxic because we allow them to be or get suckered into participating. For QM, unranked and ranked HL, I don’t see voice chat being valuable; pings are enough. For Teams that play regularly it may be handy, but they likely have Discord or somesuch. I’m interested to see what they do with matchmaking. I like new heroes, but there are too many heroes that are not competitive and could use some polish.

Gaming since 1985; Online gaming since 1995; No End in Sight! My YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC8POVoJ8fdOseuJ4U1ZX-oA

• XingbairongXingbairong Member RarePosts: 927
    edited November 2017
    @goozmania the community in HotS is one of the best if not the best when compared to the rest of the MOBA's communities. Of course you are bound to encounter a toxic player every other game, but even then their toxicity is nowhere near LoL's.
    Also I have to agree with @Soki123... the comment about Blizzard games is just ridiculous.

@SomeHuman I don't think it's feasible to have all the heroes be competitive. It's just unrealistic.
    Blizzard try their best and they do changes every now and then that slightly changes the meta, but I really can't imagine them being able to for example make 2/3's of the hero pool being competitive. And I think that's fine. Whenever you feel like playing a hero that's fun, but not great for ranked you don't necessarily have to play ranked you know. I know QM aren't great, but if you just want to scratch the itch by playing some troll build it does the job :P

My main issue with the game is the current MM system... It's horrible. People that are GM and Masters are being matched with people who last season were Silver and somehow now they are in Diamond/early Master, but they skill level and understanding of the game is still at Silver and that makes for some really frustrating games. What's more often times they refuse to accept an advice and proceed to do a build for their hero never in my wildest dreams did I ever imagine someone can come up with and the end result is... well you are playing 4vs5 and as you know HotS is a team game. You don't have the options of the other MOBAs where you farm for 40 minutes and then oneshot everyone from the enemy team.

Btw one thing worth mentioning is that generally the skill level of players in HotS is a lot lower when compared to the skill level of similar rank in other MOBAs. For example in LoL from Gold rank upwards you are actually playing with people who know and understand the mechanics and know what to do, while in HotS that generally happens after you are like 2.5k-3k in Masters. The smaller playerbase is the main cause for this... that and the horrible MM system, but the playerbase keeps increasing and Blizzard is working on the MM system so fingers up, things will get a lot better.

• BruceYeeBruceYee Member EpicPosts: 2,556

Btw one thing worth mentioning is that generally the skill level of players in HotS is a lot lower when compared to the skill level of similar rank in other MOBAs.
    For example in LoL from Gold rank upwards you are actually playing with people who know and understand the mechanics and know what to do, while in HotS that generally happens after you are like 2.5k-3k in Masters.
    The smaller playerbase is the main cause for this... that and the horrible MM system, but the playerbase keeps increasing and Blizzard is working on the MM system so fingers up, things will get a lot better.

MM plays a part but in the end math related to fixed combat numbers determines outcomes cause there is no modifying like in other mobas with artifacts. If you get stuck with a bad comp vs a better comp with players of the same skill level the worse comp will lose unless the better comp team screws up in major ways.

Fixing MM will do nothing cause group comps will still mostly determine outcomes as long as the fixed numbers system stays the same.
  • JunglecharlyJunglecharly Member UncommonPosts: 167
    edited November 2017
    I have dedicated time to every single MOBA that has come out. Hots had by far the most calm community. Mostly people ping each other, there is the occasional rager but it's normal for a competitive game. Comparing it to LoL or Dota is just wrong.
  • FellintentFellintent Member UncommonPosts: 13
    Lol Goozmania.... you had me cracking up. That's how you know a game is really lame whem one can only tolerate playing it when using "opiates/opioids". But yeah you were right though there is a very real reason they have become such a horrible problem around the world and especially here in the U.S. I had to have a spinal fusion about 6 years ago and while the surgery itself was the worst (by far the worst physical pain I or anyone should ever have to experience, a couple months following the surgery when it healed to the point where every second wasn't absolute misery I very rapidly got to the point I was so high on pain killers I could have literally watched someone burn down my house and I'm not sure it would even upset me enough to cause me to raise my voice. Lol or perhaps an even darker analogy is that they actually had me so messed up I actually started playing another one of Blizzards games : WoW. Hell I even liked doing groups in BGs and PVE with random PUGs lol! But yeah seriously be careful with that stuff kids.... it's not a joke and a cold shiver runs up my spine anytime I think about opioids or WoW PUGs
    BruceYee
    "If you're going through hell, keep going!"
    -The great Winston Churchill-

Lol Goozmania.... you had me cracking up. That's how you know a game is really lame whem one can only tolerate playing it when using "opiates/opioids". But yeah you were right though there is a very real reason they have become such a horrible problem around the world and especially here in the U.S. I had to have a spinal fusion about 6 years ago and while the surgery itself was the worst (by far the worst physical pain I or anyone should ever have to experience, a couple months following the surgery when it healed to the point where every second wasn't absolute misery I very rapidly got to the point I was so high on pain killers I could have literally watched someone burn down my house and I'm not sure it would even upset me enough to cause me to raise my voice. Lol or perhaps an even darker analogy is that they actually had me so messed up I actually started playing another one of Blizzards games : WoW. Hell I even liked doing groups in BGs and PVE with random PUGs lol! But yeah seriously be careful with that stuff kids.... it's not a joke and a cold shiver runs up my spine anytime I think about opioids or WoW PUGs

Yes.. being on pain killers very much changes things. I too had a spinal fusion, well Harrington rods, pins and then the fusion, it sucked soooooo much. Plus the doctor's didn't turn on the spinal cord monitor, so they messed it all up. When they had finished the surgery, my spinal cord was set extended longer than it should. They basically stretched it and fused it like that. It caused damage that they can never repair now. I'm still in constant pain, but I refuse to always be on heavy doses of oxi's. It was a weird time for me being all drugged up just to e able to function a little and not cry and or be in agony. I had to use a wheelchair for 5 years, but I eventually forced myself to do more Physical therapy and slowly gained my muscles and strength back. I can walk now, not for too long, my legs will give out but I'm still proud that I got this far. For some reason the Doctor's were afraid t keep giving me pain killers since i was so young, could build a tolerance too soon, so they had me get a pain pump, which helped but the device has been recalled, after about 50 or so deaths around the USA, and mine still hasn't been removed. I hopefully get scheduled for that in December, but I'm scared cause I can't tell how much it helps the pain anymore, as I still am in pain, but I can't recall how bad it was before in comparison because I had pills then, and my short term memory is also messed up from some kind of meds they had me on. I just worry once I get this out, I'll go back to being in so much pain i can't do anything, and I don't want my mind numbed on opioids again.

I hope your pain is controlled somehow now a days. Pain is a troublesome thing as once you learn to hide it a little, people assume you're fine, but really it's very difficult to even smile think normally or even be normal at all. :/

Oh and back then i had more fun with games too, I didn't mind the flaws of the games as much.