Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Don’t buy it.

OnodrimOnodrim Member UncommonPosts: 45
you are better off spending your money elsewhere. The game is basically a front for their crown store just like any phone-app game.
save your money. It’s not new, it’s not special, and if you are really curious wait a year and get it for $2 at the second hand store.

free the PS4 - 34 - justice out 
TillerByrgenarHofenGameboyMarcViterzgirlaxiemoroelpostlarvalIselinYashaX

Comments

• DakeruDakeru Member EpicPosts: 3,802
    Don't buy it?
    If I recall right then there's a f2p version for everyone to see whether they like it or not.
    Harbinger of Fools
  • TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,125
    Whew, I'm sure glad you came along and told me what to do with my money.

Phry[Deleted User]laxie
    SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

• DragnelusDragnelus Member EpicPosts: 3,503
    Dakeru said:
    Don't buy it?
    If I recall right then there's a f2p version for everyone to see whether they like it or not.
    Sometimes they promote free weekends.

Dragnelus said:
    Dakeru said:
    Don't buy it?
    Really?
    I bought it back then for merely 15€ when Kano said the subscription model would be removed.

Didn't know the game was b2p though I thought the basic version was f2p like on GW2.
    Harbinger of Fools
  • DragnelusDragnelus Member EpicPosts: 3,503
    Dakeru said:
    Dragnelus said:
    Dakeru said:
    Don't buy it?
    Really?
    I bought it back then for merely 15€ when Kano said the subscription model would be removed.

Didn't know the game was b2p though I thought the basic version was f2p like on GW2.
    Its kinda like BDO, b2p and sub is optional (gives all dlc aslong sub is active)

• Void425Void425 Member UncommonPosts: 170
    They must have really got you hooked.  A month ago you posted how bad it was and your still going on about it.

http://forums.mmorpg.com/discussion/468834/i-do-not-recommend-buying-this-game#latest
    DakeruDragnelusGorweIr1shguyYashaX
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,435
    Ever wonder how long some of these folks played before coming up with these sorts of threads?

Careful....its a trap.

;)
    immodiumPhry[Deleted User]laxie

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 31,937
    Onodrim said:
    you are better off spending your money elsewhere. The game is basically a front for their crown store just like any phone-app game.
    save your money. It’s not new, it’s not special, and if you are really curious wait a year and get it for $2 at the second hand store.

I think you need to move away from the wine ... slowly.
    [Deleted User]gervaise1
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
    Kyleran said:
    Ever wonder how long some of these folks played before coming up with these sorts of threads?

Careful....its a trap.

;)
    Yeah I wonder if this is some sort of 4chan shenanigans where you keep trash talking something to get people hooked.
    Harbinger of Fools
  • BruceYeeBruceYee Member EpicPosts: 2,556
    Some of the best content is sold for extra money(dlc/expansion) after buying the base game and the swaggiest cosmetics are sold in rng loot boxes + it is inconvenient to progress in the game without a sub so maybe he has a point, kind of?

"Don't believe something just because you want to" - Tyrion Lannister
    DeadSpockguizica
  • RenoakuRenoaku Member EpicPosts: 3,157
    edited November 2017
    Onodrim said:

Um it's not that bad you buy the base games then you pay $14.95 no need to buy all the in game DLC except for cosmetic things / housing if you want.

The only thing I hate about ESO is lack of innovation.

Customization could be better like in BDO, more cosmetic options and included with premium except for costumes and cosmetic packs being sold but the ability to edit character 100x a day if you want like in BDO for $14 in BDO monthly you can do this.

Housing flat out is too generic and sucks its pretty yeah, but the lack of the ability to actually use furniture, in house storage, or even plat a garden like in Arche Age harvest materials etc sucks, instead the game should have had instanced housing plots per zone  and the ability to fully customize lay-out like in rift but the ability to grow resources trees etc, that would have kept me playing a lot longer than I usually do. (Housing is also too expensive RL money wise) for what it offers currently.

^ This is something Arche Age gets right that no other game has managed to do yet not even BDO, and the only hope is Crow Fall currently.
    ByrgenarHofenYashaX
  • immodiumimmodium Member RarePosts: 2,610
    edited November 2017
    Kyleran said:

Careful....its a trap.

;)
    I see some Steam reviews where someone has put in hundreds of hours and gives it a thumbs down.

You know at some point the "reviewer" would've highly recommended it before they got bored.

When it comes to player reviews I generally look at the overall rather than the individual recommendation. No ones opinion is that special.
    KyleranSovrath

• ConstantineMerusConstantineMerus Member EpicPosts: 3,338
    immodium said:
    Kyleran said:

Careful....its a trap.

;)
    I see some Steam reviews where someone has put in hundreds of hours and gives it a thumbs down.

You know at some point the "reviewer" would've highly recommended it before they got bored.

When it comes to player reviews I generally look at the overall rather than the individual recommendation. No ones opinion is that special.
    I don't care about the public opinion, ever. I'm thinking of running for office. 
    immodiumcmacq
    Constantine, The Console Poster

• "One of the most difficult tasks men can perform, however much others may despise it, is the invention of good games and it cannot be done by men out of touch with their instinctive selves." - Carl Jung
  • tawesstawess Member EpicPosts: 4,227
    Meh... It is a Elder Scrolls game.... 

Nothing more and... well... maybe a bit less... 

But seeing how it is B2P you could do worse for that money. Like buying tickets to the Justice League movie. 
    Limnic

This have been a good conversation

• ConstantineMerusConstantineMerus Member EpicPosts: 3,338
    I don't mind negative opinions, but I hate liars.
    You should put this on your signature. Everyone should put this on their signatures. 
    Kyleran[Deleted User]
    Constantine, The Console Poster

• "One of the most difficult tasks men can perform, however much others may despise it, is the invention of good games and it cannot be done by men out of touch with their instinctive selves." - Carl Jung
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,435
    It's sad that the OP didn't find anything better than the old "cash shop" argument to bash this game. Just like GW2, the cash shop is 100% optional and you can play without it.
    I don't mind negative opinions, but I hate liars.
    Actually I find it annoying people keep telling us games suck because companies try get players to continually pay for them. (Gaming as a service is the model now) 

Sure, some payment models are better than others from my view,  I'm not a fan of items for power cash shop sales unless easily affordable by the average player and not terribly imbalacing to the game play.

A subjective measure I realize but its how I view EVEs PLEX sales and skill injectors.

I'm against RNG loot boxes unless their contents are also (and always) available for sale directly in the shop or in game by trading for them.

In the beginning....there was the subscription. 

But those days are long past, now there is dozens of ways to monetize and most developers will be employing several of them.

Pay for what you enjoy playing...
    ConstantineMerus[Deleted User]YashaX

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• GameboyMarcGameboyMarc Member UncommonPosts: 395
    Onodrim said:

Not only did I buy it I really enjoy it. I'm in two guilds that are active and am having fun. I like The Clock Work dlc a lot and I was content with the last exp pack. With all due respect, please don't tell me what to do :D 
    QuarterStackgervaise1

• AethaerynAethaeryn Member RarePosts: 3,149
    It was on the humble bundle monthly just last month. . if anyone wanted to try it out that would have been a great time

Wa min God! Se æx on min heafod is!

• QuarterStackQuarterStack Member RarePosts: 546
    edited November 2017
    ZOS must be doing very well with this game for all the posts I see from people actively and aggressively, perhaps desperately, trying to convince people not to play it.

There's someone on Reddit who is literally copying and pasting the same post into every thread they find on ESO, telling everyone they're doing so to discourage people from playing it.

That said, I tried it in Beta and wasn't crazy about it. Tried it around launch and wasn't crazy about it. Came back again a month or two before the switch to B2P and ended up enjoying it, and I've loved it ever since.

[Deleted User]
  • QuarterStackQuarterStack Member RarePosts: 546
    edited November 2017
    Renoaku said:
    Onodrim said:

Customization could be better like in BDO, more cosmetic options and included with premium except for costumes and cosmetic packs being sold but the ability to edit character 100x a day if you want like in BDO for $14 in BDO monthly you can do this.

Eh... that's subjective. I think there's plenty of customization in ESO. A streamer I follow made a female Dunmer look remarkably like themself.

Housing flat out is too generic and sucks its pretty yeah, but the lack of the ability to actually use furniture, in house storage, or even plat a garden like in Arche Age harvest materials etc sucks, instead the game should have had instanced housing plots per zone  and the ability to fully customize lay-out like in rift but the ability to grow resources trees etc, that would have kept me playing a lot longer than I usually do. (Housing is also too expensive RL money wise) for what it offers currently.

Part of that paragraph is pure misinformation.

You can use furniture. You can sit in chairs, you can craft over a cooking pot, you can use chests and such for storage. You can place crafting stations to use, including those for named sets. You can place mundus stones and use those. You can place NPCs to do banking, selling, etc. Housing is quite functional.

For the rest, it's very easy to say "game "x" has "feature" but this one doesn't, therefor this one is lacking in features". Problem is, you could do that with any MMO. I could point to something ESO does, note that Archeage or BDO or some other MMO doesn't, and then say "See? ESO does "x", but game "y" doesn't, therefor game "y" is lacking in features".

This tendency for people to cite very specific details about one game reminds me of when I worked at this grocery store many years ago. Huge grocery store with a ton of different items and brands, etc. Yet, somehow, this one customer would come in every week and ask us for something they knew we didn't carry. When we said what they already knew (we didn't carry it), they'd start ranting about how we were a terrible grocery store and how some other store was better because they carried that one specific item.

The arbitrary item was basically a macguffin... an arbitrary and ultimately unimportant "narrative device" they used as an excuse to slam our grocery store and tell us all how horrible we were, which was their actual motive. And they did this every week. That's how I see these kinds of comparisons... They're just an arbitrary excuse to say "This game is bad. That other game good. Because macguffin".

To wit, if someone really likes a game, I don't think perceived deficiencies in its housing system, or character customization, is going to be the deal breaker to push them away. And vice versa.
  • postlarvalpostlarval Member EpicPosts: 2,003
    edited November 2017
    tawess said:

But seeing how it is B2P you could do worse for that money. Like buying tickets to the Justice League movie. 
    Or investing in an early access crowd-funded game. *Sean's ears begin burning*

It's a fine game for what it is.

• TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,125
    edited November 2017
    DMKano said:
    I never understood this type of advice.

A personal dislike of a product - sure no big deal.

now taking this to the level of telling the entire world, and expecting everyone to share the same personal dislike - that's just shite advice.

"hey everyone, I didn't like this - so everyone should hate this too, ok" - /smh

Russians
    SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

• MoiraeMoirae Member RarePosts: 3,318
    Onodrim said:

You do understand that this game has been out three years right? And yes, we know everything you said. It's just like every other game out there with different graphics. That's the whole problem. So why exactly did you even bother to post this? 
  • ianicusianicus Member UncommonPosts: 665
    there are FAR worse games out there for MORE money, You could do worse than ESO.
    "Well let me just quote the late-great Colonel Sanders, who said…’I’m too drunk to taste this chicken." - Ricky Bobby