Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What graphics do you like or dislike and why

13»

Comments

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    When it comes to dislike, i dislike overly cartoonified graphics, with a special hate of cell shaded graphics, at the moment BDO is the yardstick against which other games are judged as its that kind of art style and detailed graphics that i prefer. B)
  • CryomatrixCryomatrix Member EpicPosts: 3,223
    Phry said:
    When it comes to dislike, i dislike overly cartoonified graphics, with a special hate of cell shaded graphics, at the moment BDO is the yardstick against which other games are judged as its that kind of art style and detailed graphics that i prefer. B)
    I agree, I like that style very much. I want to feel that I'm in a real world. Hence, the art style/graphics are important to me. I learned a ton from this thread. Now I know what cell shading means and all the other stuff. 

But I'm a sucker for graphics. It just enhances gameplay for me. 

Cryomatrix
    Catch me streaming at twitch.tv/cryomatrix
    You can see my sci-fi/WW2 book recommendations. 
  • EldurianEldurian Member EpicPosts: 2,736
    Scot said:
    Eldurian said:
    Scot said:
    We are suckers for graphics, new games can have loot boxes, dlc libraries on launch day and crap gameplay...but as long as the graphics are good we give them a pass. Style over substance all the way.

I am not a fan of cartoon looking myself, but done "realistically" the anime look is great, quite refreshing after so many western European looking MMOs.
    For me, while I enjoy the graphics, I will play a good game with bad graphics (For instance Wurm Online.)

The issue is that so many people won't that graphics have one major benefit over visual appeal to me. Viability of the game. That's why these days when I see a game like Project Gorgon, Pathfinder Online, or Planescape I'm like.... "Eh, I'll pass."

Because I know that even if I end up loving the game and it's mechanics, the game will never be successful. 

This is a curse for MMO's and to a lesser extent a curse for gaming as a whole. A solid MMO player base depends on graphics so that's where all the development money goes. We are not getting anything new because the last MMO had great graphics and the one before that and the one etc.

Its like being a board gamer who has traded in his Monopoly for a painting to go on his wall. :D
    Maybe. I really doubt the investment in graphics is what makes every MMO play like every other MMO. I think it's just more lazy designers and cowardly investors.
  • DragnelusDragnelus Member EpicPosts: 3,503
    For most games I use sweetfx or whatever mod I can find to enhance graphics, like ffxiv:

Sweetfx:

Without (normal):

• SteelhelmSteelhelm Member UncommonPosts: 332
    I prefer stylized graphics over realistic. I usually find "realistic graphics" bland and colorless. I also like somewhat cartoony characters with slightly exaggerated portions. Breath of the wild graphics are awesome imo.
    Talking about games where thousands of players exist simultaneously in a single instance and mechanics related to such games.
  • EldurianEldurian Member EpicPosts: 2,736
    Steelhelm said:
    I prefer stylized graphics over realistic. I usually find "realistic graphics" bland and colorless. I also like somewhat cartoony characters with slightly exaggerated portions. Breath of the wild graphics are awesome imo.
    Really in any style of graphics "bland" would seem to be more of a setting issue. If your game is set in an environment like this:

The visuals will probably be pretty bland regardless of stylistic choices. If your game is set in an environment like this:

Then it will be hard to find a sylistic choice that doesn't make that setting appealing.
  • ShadanwolfShadanwolf Member UncommonPosts: 2,392
    I won't play "cartoon " like graphics games.For me...the more detail the better.(yes I play on a PC)
  • SteelhelmSteelhelm Member UncommonPosts: 332
    Eldurian said:
    Steelhelm said:
    Really in any style of graphics "bland" would seem to be more of a setting issue. If your game is set in an environment like this:

The visuals will probably be pretty bland regardless of stylistic choices. If your game is set in an environment like this:

Then it will be hard to find a sylistic choice that doesn't make that setting appealing.
    I just don't find the art style of realistic graphics appealing. I always find more character in stylized graphics. It's a personal preference and a choice.
    Talking about games where thousands of players exist simultaneously in a single instance and mechanics related to such games.
  • ElsaboltsElsabolts Member RarePosts: 3,476
    I've always liked AMD cards, don't know why but do.
    Steelhelm[Deleted User]
    " Life Liberty and the Pursuit of Those Who  Would Threaten It "
                                            MAGA
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,002
    Eldurian said:
    Steelhelm said:

The visuals will probably be pretty bland regardless of stylistic choices.

I disagree, there is nothing bland about that photo. One might not like the setting but it's very rich in detail and very evocative. Show that to someone and they will have a strong reaction one way or another.
    ConstantineMerus
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • MendelMendel Member LegendaryPosts: 5,609
    I don't have a preference for art style.  What I look for is crisp, clear designs that are functional and within the overall theme of the game.  I can adapt to whatever style as long as the underlying game is solid.

My eyes aren't the strongest, so I usually detest 'hunt the pixel' type games, but I rather enjoyed Hero of the Kingdom.  I really like the line art look of Aviary Attorney, which is on my Steam wishlist.  ESO is pretty, but some areas are overdone graphically, some areas are just too busy. Even LotRO has thrown in all sorts of unnecessary graphics details, but I'm not certain if that is due to a new patch or the replacement graphics card I had to get last month.

Logic, my dear, merely enables one to be wrong with great authority.

• dougha1dougha1 Member UncommonPosts: 152
    Seeing as how the title mentions "like" and my first post in this thread was only "dislike"... here is the "like" part:

Despite its age, Guild Wars one still has wonderful graphics.  There is some real artistry in the landscapes. Even a city slum or a desert is made visually interesting.
    IselinArglebargle
    This forum is broken. It is time to move to proboards, because they're broken.
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    dougha1 said:
    Seeing as how the title mentions "like" and my first post in this thread was only "dislike"... here is the "like" part:

Despite its age, Guild Wars one still has wonderful graphics.  There is some real artistry in the landscapes. Even a city slum or a desert is made visually interesting.
    Although I typically like more photorealism in my MMOs, GW2's more impressionistic style is beautiful to look at and play in.
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• LerxstLerxst Member UncommonPosts: 648
    Anime, hands down. I'll take it a step further though and say, anything too "blingy" kills it for me.  For instance, bright colored sword slashes for no reason other than swinging a sword, simple movements or skills being accented with flashes and bright lights, etc.

Next would be the artistic draft style. Don't Starve... yep, I said it. I can't stand that half-assed looking pencil on paper art style in a video game. Love it in a sketch pad, but... no... not on a computer screen!

Outdated graphics are hit or miss. If the game's appeal used to be graphics, but it has now aged, I can't do it. Along with the graphics though, usually come some standard control and GUI norms we've grown used to. Older games that have faded in terms of graphics, usually suffer some control issues to, that I have to re-wire my brain to work with. Mouse-look, wasn't always a thing in older 90's games. WASD controls weren't always standard in many older games. Crouching, jumping, pressing ctrl to run, etc. those things weren't always standard on a lot of the older games.
    reybear
  • AUNE2018AUNE2018 Member UncommonPosts: 27
    I used to hate the pixelated style, but I started playing Minecraft and got used to it. It's still not my favorite - I love super realistic like you do - but I think the less realistic styles are more timeless. You can't see them aging as quickly as realistic styles, where newer tech, animation, etc, will make newer games look slightly MORE realistic, thereby making the older games look outdated. Pixelated/cartoon stuff won't have that problem, at least not as quickly. My favorite styles are medieval realistic. I don't really like futuristic games as much as historical games, no matter how realistic their style is. Fantastical cartoon styles are probably my least favorite - bright colors for the sake of being bright. 
    reybear
  • Flyte27Flyte27 Member RarePosts: 4,574
    DMKano said:
    Yep OP is really talking artistic style - 

Dislike - over the top anime - yeah no thanks

My favorite art style is actually old school disney - like 1937 Snow White art - this style is amazing and is just a lost "art" (pardon the pun)

This is true.  

I was watching a Blender 3D modeling tutorial and everything was about doing as little work as possible to produce a lot of generic randomly generated stuff quickly.  I actually understand the desire for this as few people want to spend hours going over every little detail, but that is exactly what they did both in old cartoons and in old games.  I love a lot old of Disney movies, but I think you can even see this is old games up to around the time of Everquest when 3D first started out.  The stuff in those games appeared to be done by hand to the minutest detail.  I think something may be lost in terms of the artist's imagination when it becomes a more mechanical process.
  • DarkswormDarksworm Member RarePosts: 1,081
    Scot said:
    Eldurian said:
    Scot said:
    We are suckers for graphics, new games can have loot boxes, dlc libraries on launch day and crap gameplay...but as long as the graphics are good we give them a pass. Style over substance all the way.

I am not a fan of cartoon looking myself, but done "realistically" the anime look is great, quite refreshing after so many western European looking MMOs.
    For me, while I enjoy the graphics, I will play a good game with bad graphics (For instance Wurm Online.)

The issue is that so many people won't that graphics have one major benefit over visual appeal to me. Viability of the game. That's why these days when I see a game like Project Gorgon, Pathfinder Online, or Planescape I'm like.... "Eh, I'll pass."

Because I know that even if I end up loving the game and it's mechanics, the game will never be successful. 

This is a curse for MMO's and to a lesser extent a curse for gaming as a whole. A solid MMO player base depends on graphics so that's where all the development money goes. We are not getting anything new because the last MMO had great graphics and the one before that and the one etc.

Its like being a board gamer who has traded in his Monopoly for a painting to go on his wall. :D

The problem for MMORPGs is that the average cost of computers sold is actually going down - so people are actually buying less advanced computers (for their respective eras) than they used to.  more and more people are buying AiO PCs with non-upgradeable graphics.  If you spec your purchase with Intel iGPU or an AMD APU, then you can end up with a machine that simply won't be able to run games designed for systems with 2-4GB+ dGPUs at graphics settings that leave them looking attractive, anyways.

This is an issue, because the MMORPG market is still casual-dominated, contrary to the market for FPS games, for example.

The reason why MOBAs and Card Deck games (Heartstone, for example) are gaining in popularity is because of the low system requirements.  It's also a selling point of the ARPG genre (Diablo, Path of Exile).  Consoles are booming because people buy the hardware and don't have to worry about checking software system requirements.

MMORPG development went in the tubes the minute game developers started attempting to shove Crysis-level graphics into an MMORPG.  This is what killed games like Vanguard and Age of Conan.  It pretty much limited EQ2 to niche status.

The fact that hardware is a lot better these days doesn't matter, because developers continue to overdevelop their games - because pretty pictures get people to open their wallets.  Unfortunately, you don't often get a refund when the game performs terribly - or must be run at such low graphics settings to be playable, that they end up looking horrible anyways.

Performance issues are one of the biggest issues people cite for not wanting to play MMORPG games.  This wasn't the case back in the day, up until around 2007 or so.
  • shalissarshalissar Member UncommonPosts: 509
    I consider myself fairly lenient but I draw the line at things like Realm of the Mad God. 
  • Sid_ViciousSid_Vicious Member RarePosts: 2,177
    I would agree with you but I can tolerate outdated graphics.

Cartoony is UNPLAYABLE though and the anime crap is just horrid. I guess for maybe half hour at a time I might try but yeah never was into that style at all.

NEWS FLASH! "A bank was robbed the other day and a man opened fire on the customers being held hostage. One customer zig-zag sprinted until he found cover. When questioned later he explained that he was a hardcore gamer and knew just what to do!" Download my music for free! I release several albums per month as part of project "Thee Untitled" . .. some video game music remixes and cover songs done with instruments in there as well! http://theeuntitled.bandcamp.com/ Check out my roleplaying blog, collection of fictional short stories, and fantasy series... updated on a blog for now until I am finished! https://childrenfromtheheavensbelow.blogspot.com/ Watch me game on occasion or make music... https://www.twitch.tv/spoontheeuntitled and subscribe! https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCUvqULn678VrF3OasgnbsyA

• postlarvalpostlarval Member EpicPosts: 2,003

- Anime/japanese style: I despise it. The female characters look disgusting, either in a provocative school outfit or in some whacked out whore-world. I hate when sex appeal invades things that have nothing to do with it. I could never take a game like that seriously. I also don't like the artwork.
    I’m with you on this. I hate the style with a passion.