Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Will there ever be anything close to SWG?

DauzqulDauzqul Member RarePosts: 1,982
edited November 2017 in The Pub at MMORPG.COM
I pity those who didn't get to experience SWG.

This video is the perfect example of the MMO we're missing today:

Octagon7711NildenByrgenarHofenbartoni33

Comments

• murilormurilor Member UncommonPosts: 3
    edited November 2017
    I never played SWG, but i miss a lot a sandbox as we had in Ultima Online. Looks similar in many aspects with SWG. I had learn about economy and market with UO.
    Dauzqul
  • Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    edited November 2017
    Those were the days.  I had a doctor and setup in a hospital.  Random players would come in for healing and we had some interesting conversations.  Fun times.

Here's a pic of my Master Swordsman from 2004 stopping in the middle of a fight to take a selfie.  Armor was overpowered then but it still took hours to take this big guy down and if I remember correctly he dropped some minor junk.  But still an epic fight.

ByrgenarHofenlaxieArchlyte

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• XxxusernametakenxxxXxxusernametakenxxx Member UncommonPosts: 127
    edited November 2017
    Umm a complete overrated mess?  Yeah there are plenty of those out right now.

SWG was not a good game back in the day and wouldn't hold a candle to any even the bad ones out today.  SWG closed , shut down because of that fact.  Move on already.  
    ByrgenarHofenunfilteredJW[Deleted User]Pynda
  • sayuusayuu Member RarePosts: 766
    Of all the MMO players who pine for the good old days, SWG players have the thickest rose colored glasses on. . .
    ByrgenarHofenTanemundpostlarval
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,435
    edited November 2017
    Dauzqul said:

I'v often thought the gamers who got to know and love SWG were the unfortunate ones. 

It's passing left many of them endlessly seeking a similar game play experience which they never have since, nor likely will get again.

While it's been said it is better to have loved and lost, than to never have loved at all, the phrase ignorance is bliss also comes to mind.

[Deleted User]TsiyalaxieConstantineMerus

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• NildenNilden Member EpicPosts: 3,916
    Just to interject as someone who played for a long time and loves Star Wars.

They had amazing crafting, housing, professions, mounts, vehicles, vendor system, merchant system, non-combat roles, mission system, city system, and added awesome space combat with multi-passenger vehicles and space house boats...

Image result for star wars galaxies han solo chewie lightspeed
    ByrgenarHofen

"You CAN'T buy ships for RL money." - MaxBacon

"classification of games into MMOs is not by rational reasoning" - nariusseldon

Love Minecraft. And check out my Youtube channel OhCanadaGamer

Try a MUD today at http://www.mudconnect.com/ 

• Flyte27Flyte27 Member RarePosts: 4,574
    It was like UO, but Star Wars and with a slightly different skill system.  I don't think you will see games with the type of freedom those two had.  They were like survival games.  On top of that Jedi could only be played by one person on each server and that is something most people won't accept.  Even though I'm not a big fan of SWG I feel like the players are what made those type of games fun and their censorship really kills that type of game.  People are just too polite.  Especially in a fantasy world and especially in a sandbox game.  No one seems to want to play the antagonist role.
  • KabulozoKabulozo Member RarePosts: 932
    edited November 2017
    If Project TL team go straight to what made Lineage 1 world/pvp so great and put it on this project, it will be the best AAA open world MMO ever.
  • hamlathishamlathis Member UncommonPosts: 25
    Hi interesting discussion as SWG was one of my 1rst MMO.
    JamesGoblin
  • TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,739
    I didnt get to try it until after the NGE and about 6 months before it shut down...By that point it wasnt much of a game and I cant comment on what it was like in its prime.
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 31,937
    edited November 2017
    Dauzqul said:

I won't take anything away from people who loved Star Wars Galaxies, but I know a guy whose first mmo was Star Wars Galaxies and he hated it.

He felt like he was working a 2nd job but not getting paid for it. It wasn't until Everquest that he really started to have fun.

I think it just shows that on person's ambrosia is another person's poison.
    ByrgenarHofenKyleranjimmywolfDauzqul
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • DeadSpockDeadSpock Member UncommonPosts: 403
    Dauzqul said:

This video is the perfect example of the MMO we're missing today:

I pity those who didn't get to experience FFXI was released same time as SWG I guess was the year when games were fun and felt like worlds.
  • ThaneThane Member EpicPosts: 3,534

SWG was not a good game back in the day and wouldn't hold a candle to any even the bad ones out today.  SWG closed , shut down because of that fact.  Move on already.  
    always fun when people throw out random theories which they have no idea about :)

"I'll never grow up, never grow up, never grow up! Not me!"

• ByrgenarHofenByrgenarHofen Member UncommonPosts: 55
    To answer the OP, yes, SWGEmu
    JamesGoblin
    Thane said:

always fun when people throw out random theories which they have no idea about :)
    It's a fact SWG shut down. It's a fact at the end the population was pathetic.  There is not a chance in the world today's gamer of wanting everything now would sit through the grind swg was.  These are not theories buddy they are cold hard facts. Deal with it. 
    [Deleted User]
  • CryomatrixCryomatrix Member EpicPosts: 3,223
    I played it, it was fun when I did, I enjoyed the game a ton. Had many things that were amazing.

I loved the fact that you could decorate your house with anything in game. 
    Catch me streaming at twitch.tv/cryomatrix
    You can see my sci-fi/WW2 book recommendations. 
    I'd be the first to admit that SWG had it's problems.  The forums have been archived and still up for viewing where you can read about all the arguments about class balance and the Devs not listening to the players concerns can still be scene.  So yes there were problems just like in any game.  Just like there were some great experiences pre and post NGE.
    Tsiya

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,435
    Thane said:

It's a fact SWG shut down. It's a fact at the end the population was pathetic.  There is not a chance in the world today's gamer of wanting everything now would sit through the grind swg was.  These are not theories buddy they are cold hard facts. Deal with it. 
    Yet multiple indie efforts are trying to recreate games which will focus on in depth mechanics and dare I say it, yes even grind. 

Some folks enjoy it after all.

Octagon7711

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

Kyleran said:
    Thane said:

Yet multiple indie efforts are trying to recreate games which will focus on in depth mechanics and dare I say it, yes even grind. 

Some folks enjoy it after all.

What games are "trying" to copy swg?  There has not been a game yet that has tried to copy swg and been remotely successful.

I'm not saying nobody enjoyed swg I played it for way too long and in opinion even today it's the most overhyped video game to ever exist and the player base was never that large. 
    I always liked this one.

Archlyte

• seraphicasseraphicas Member UncommonPosts: 51
    MMO games were fairly new back then and the tech to make those types of games was really at its infancy(ie. internet speeds/pc power/graphical processing/etc) The major difference, in my opinion, was the mindset of people then vs now. I feel that it's shifted not only in the playerbase but also in the development of these types of games. We went from thought provoking ideas and implementation, be it good or bad, to braindead on the rails gaming because people are too lazy to think for themselves anymore. To me it's really a matter of personal independence and maturity levels.  It seems today a majority of people WANT to be told what and how to do things, rather than use critical thinking to figure things out for themselves. In this same line of thought, when you have to handhold people through everything, it sheds their level of responsibility. They can just turn around and blame you for leading them down the wrong path, rather than looking inward and realizing they are to blame for not doing things the way THEY wanted to do it.

A great example on this is when I first started gaming there really weren't any online guides, databases, walkthrough's etc to help you out. You either figured it out or you were stuck. I spent hours sitting in the old isometric rpg games trying to figure out puzzles, mechanics, etc. Flash forward to today and you just google it or bitch until they make it easier for you. Some people consider this progress, and it is in many ways, but also to me it is at the expense of using your personal brainpower or collaborating with friends to figure things out together. 
    Octagon7711
    MMO games were fairly new back then and the tech to make those types of games was really at its infancy(ie. internet speeds/pc power/graphical processing/etc) The major difference, in my opinion, was the mindset of people then vs now. I feel that it's shifted not only in the playerbase but also in the development of these types of games. We went from thought provoking ideas and implementation, be it good or bad, to braindead on the rails gaming because people are too lazy to think for themselves anymore. To me it's really a matter of personal independence and maturity levels.  It seems today a majority of people WANT to be told what and how to do things, rather than use critical thinking to figure things out for themselves. In this same line of thought, when you have to handhold people through everything, it sheds their level of responsibility. They can just turn around and blame you for leading them down the wrong path, rather than looking inward and realizing they are to blame for not doing things the way THEY wanted to do it.

A great example on this is when I first started gaming there really weren't any online guides, databases, walkthrough's etc to help you out. You either figured it out or you were stuck. I spent hours sitting in the old isometric rpg games trying to figure out puzzles, mechanics, etc. Flash forward to today and you just google it or bitch until they make it easier for you. Some people consider this progress, and it is in many ways, but also to me it is at the expense of using your personal brainpower or collaborating with friends to figure things out together. 
    That's probably why today I don't mini-max games.  I pick the parts I like and pretty much just play them.  I may try out other parts to test them but I won't play a fractal if I don't like jumping puzzles just for the gear.

I do remember the only guides available back then were in pc magazine gaming sections, which means you had to go to the bookstore to read up on game reviews and articles.

When I first started gaming this is how I connected to the internet.  You had to have two lines because if someone picked up the phone your internet connection died.

• seraphicasseraphicas Member UncommonPosts: 51
    @Octagon ahhh, the good ole days huh lol
  • TsiyaTsiya Member UncommonPosts: 280
    edited November 2017
    Seeing Fett's Vette again brought a tiny tear to my eye. Yes, it had problems, and yes it could feel like a job, but being able to combine 4 "classes" to make my perfect avatar was priceless. Having my own house and going clothes shopping and visiting friends at the cantina and yes, even rping a muon gold addiction made it home.
    Edit: I just found my machinima videos of SWG, I have 16 of them. What other game has inspired such creativity in their playerbase?

• lahnmirlahnmir Member LegendaryPosts: 5,041
    No, it shut down, developers tend to not repeat mistakes.

Yes I played, yes I thought AO was infinitely better. I never had much love for the utter campiness of SW to begin with.

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    Xxxusernametakenxxx
    'the only way he could nail it any better is if he used a cross.'

Kyleran on yours sincerely 

'But there are many. You can play them entirely solo, and even offline. Also, you are wrong by default.'

Ikcin in response to yours sincerely debating whether or not single-player offline MMOs exist...

'This does not apply just to ED but SC or any other game. What they will get is Rebirth/X4, likely prettier but equally underwhelming and pointless. 

It is incredibly difficult to design some meaningfull leg content that would fit a space ship game - simply because it is not a leg game.

It is just huge resource waste....'

Gdemami absolutely not being an armchair developer