Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Will A:IR Reignite AAA MMORPG Development? - Bill Murphy - MMORPG.com

Comments

• Azaron_NightbladeAzaron_Nightblade Member EpicPosts: 4,801
    Game doesn’t look good. Just a bunch of flashy stuff in a trailer like Destiny but no soul, substance or fun.
    You've just described 95% of the trailers out there. And not just for video games either.
    Doesn't mean the gameplay can't be good.
    Leiloni

My SWTOR referral link for those wanting to give the game a try. (Newbies get a welcome package while returning players get a few account upgrades to help with their preferred status.)

https://www.ashesofcreation.com/ref/Callaron/

• sayuusayuu Member RarePosts: 749
    Tiller said:
    LrdEtrius said:
    Nope. I jumped out of the hype boat as soon as i noticed the gender lock. If they can't even have this basic thing in character management i don't wanna know the rest.

This game is what I would expect to see if you mixed GW2 with BDO. Looks ok but what is it with Korean games and gender lock classes?
    Korean culture is not hung up on genitalia as much as we, the west, are.
    Phaserlight
  • TorvalTorval Member LegendaryPosts: 19,934
    sayuu said:
    Tiller said:
    LrdEtrius said:
    Nope. I jumped out of the hype boat as soon as i noticed the gender lock. If they can't even have this basic thing in character management i don't wanna know the rest.

This game is what I would expect to see if you mixed GW2 with BDO. Looks ok but what is it with Korean games and gender lock classes?

Or Korean developers know where to trim the budget in areas their main demographic are okay with.

Also a few posts up it was linked that there will classes without gender lock.
    ConstantineMerus
    Fedora - A modern, free, and open source Operating System. https://getfedora.org/

traveller, interloper, anomaly, iteration

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,804
    Depends on how heavy they go RMT P2W. That only goes so far before players get their fill of this in what otherwise could be a decent game. Not exactly like they don't have the track record for it.

Nilden
  • sayuusayuu Member RarePosts: 749
    Torval said:
    sayuu said:
    Tiller said:
    LrdEtrius said:

Or Korean developers know where to trim the budget in areas their main demographic are okay with.

It's probably a lil bit of both. . .

. . .I can't be sure though, after all I'm not a Korean Developer. 
  • DavodtheTuttDavodtheTutt Member UncommonPosts: 415
    I kind of like the idea of "Let's throw in everything, including the kitchen sink," but it all comes down to how they actually execute each thing and how it all goes together to produce the game-playing experience. Sadly, it doesn't sound like they're going to try anything actually innovative, so there's a good chance it will just seem like a lot of stuff everybody's already done.

Specifically, when talking about "deep" crafting, I wonder if this will mean discoverable crafting based on the properties of the materials and means of processing them, or will it just be a more complicated form of the typical pre-set recipes and processing that involves no judgement (e.g. timing) or skill (e.g. using the mouse to carve or otherwise shape something). I'm looking forward to a game where I can be a crafter and have an explorer/miner bring me something and neither of us knows what it is or what it's good for until I try making something out of it.

Then take fishing: So many games (including console "fishing simulators") are very NOT like fishing in their "fishing." The console simulators at least have had some correlation between where you fish (and at what depth) and what fish you can catch. Some of the MMORPGs have had only certain, well-marked places where you are allowed to fish, and you either catch a random range or one specific kind for each spot. In most real fishing, the craft is mostly in selecting where to fish, what bait or lure to use, and how the bait/lure is presented/retrieved. And knowing when and how to set the hook. Unless you catch a whopper, after that you just reel in the fish. With a big fish, you may need to steer it clear of rocks or branches and not try to pull it in too fast. But with all too many games, cranking in the fish is turned into some silly arcade game, either rapidly responding to left/right arrows, or typing in a letter or alphanumeric sequence, or something else that completely ruins any immersion.

But I think the main thing an MMO needs to do is find whatever it takes to encourage people to team up with strangers -- not in guilds or other permanent groups, although that helps, too, but the kind of quick-and-easy team-ups that make newcomers and casual players feel welcome. There's no turn-off like playing a game because you are looking to play with other people, and the game just funnels you through missions and if you do anything with other players it's just being one of a big battle mob or worse, some PKer makes you dead before you hardly know what's happening. No game is going to last long if too many people have experiences like that too much.
    Torval
  • tofuknighttofuknight Member UncommonPosts: 15
    I really don't see the problems with gender lock when there's lore behind it. Are people saying they want to have male valkyries/amazons/witches running around and female wizards.

Because is quite clear that when the above class is mention in the public there is already a set image of specific sex for those class. So what's wrong with gender locking it.

Yes , I agree some companies is lazy and that does it so they don't have to do more. But that doesn't mean all gender lock is bad.

For one I would throw up if I see a bunch of amazon men's jumping out in the wonder women movie wearing those clothes.
  • tofuknighttofuknight Member UncommonPosts: 15
    edited November 2017

Nope, not ever buying/playing a Korean made MMO again. To much grind, to much RNG, to much cash shop.

Lol, u say it like western game doesn't have rng and grind. Do u think everyone In vanilla wow have a legendary? Or do u think u didn't have to go through mc over and over again b4 going in blackwing lair then naxx.
  • NildenNilden Member EpicPosts: 2,964
    Lusts said:
    Nope. It's Bluehole & Kakao. Two companies I hate when it comes to monetisation practices.
    Sadly any desire I have to play will probably be completely killed by the cash shop.

"You CAN'T buy ships for RL money." - MaxBacon

"classification of games into MMOs is not by rational reasoning" - nariusseldon

Love Minecraft. And check out my Youtube channel OhCanadaGamer

• ConstantineMerusConstantineMerus Member EpicPosts: 2,692
    People like to pick their genders and it is their right. It is one thing to play Tomb Raider or other games with a female leading role, because it is the story of that particular character. But when it comes down to MMOs, we all like to play a bit of dress up, on some level, we're all playing The Sims one way or the other. 

We're hanging out with friends, we're in a community, we maintain sort of an image of ourselves in the virtual world. Hence, there NEEDS to be options to pick your gender. 
    Constantine, The Console Poster

• "One of the most difficult tasks men can perform, however much others may despise it, is the invention of good games and it cannot be done by men out of touch with their instinctive selves." - Carl Jung
    • Song of the Week: Blackfield by Blackfield from Blackfield (2005)
    • Currently Playing: Devil May Cry 1
    • Favorite Drink: Bruichladdich Black Art 5th 1992
    • Gaming Timeline: Arcade, Commodore 64, Amiga 500, SEGA, IBM, PS, PC, PS2, More PCs, PS3, Giant PC, PS4, No More PCs, PS4 Pro.
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 27,812
    Forgrimm said:
    Forgrimm said:
    I have a hard time understanding why so many people object so much to gender locking. 
    Because I have no interest in playing female characters. 
    So you never played a Tomb Raider game then? Or any of the dozen other games with a female protagonist?
    Not that I recall, no. And it's different in an mmo, when you're interacting with other people. I tried a female character in WoW and the amount of creepiness I witnessed made me realize I'd never do it again.
    hmmm, maybe this is brought on by how people act in these games.

I've played female characters for years and never once had anything creepy happen.

The only thing I had was a guy in Lineage 2 telling me that he "didn't pk chicks". I think he actually thought I was a woman.

• MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 9,036
    edited November 2017
    I don't like gender lock but its not a deal breaker for me. 

If the story is about a Female Mystic then the character is going to be a female.  That's just how some eastern companies make their games. 

ConstantineMerus
    Xbox One X
    Sony HT-CT180 Sound Bar
    Vizio M-Series Quantum 65" 4K Display

AMD Ryzen 2700X
    EVGA GTX 1060 
    Samsung MU6300 40" 4K Display
  • MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,483
    edited November 2017
    My hot take:

Blizzard's Classic server release and an ingenious long-term plan to retain interest in the Classic servers will reignite western MMORPG development.
    NildenXarko

• jdlamson75jdlamson75 Member UncommonPosts: 1,010
    I look forward to games where the devs pull three English words out of a hat to name a game.
  • heerobyaheerobya Member UncommonPosts: 465
    BUT IS IT A WOW-KILLER?!?

J/K, oh MMORPG.com, never change!

More interested in the new Lineage Eternal, whatever they renamed it.

This game looks... like a mess. Too many ideas/genres blended together. Like watching an epic battle in LOTRO and suddenly a Titan drops in from orbit. Pass!

I'm always hopeful that new games are good and make people happy. And success leads to more games, so hopefully this and other do kick off another golden age of MMOs, though it seems like just about everything is now some sort of online MP thing with MMO/RPG elements, its nice to see more traditional MMOs still being made.

Just need to see more on console! Grinding through quests/kills on console is like 100x more enjoyable, IMO, for this old, old MMO vet.
  • ShaighShaigh Member RarePosts: 2,030
    Flashy announcement trailers doesn't excite me anymore and the aerial battles were bit of a turnoff.
    The cynic knows the price of everything and the value of nothing.
  • DvoraDvora Member UncommonPosts: 499
    edited November 2017

Game doesn’t look good. Just a bunch of flashy stuff in a trailer like Destiny but no soul, substance or fun.

I tend to agree, but hard to get everything from a trailer. What I know I don't like though is how they basically try to cram all genres into one game.

Lets have swords, and magic, and dragons, and guns, and mechs and tanks, and airships, and lasers, and cute bears! oh my what else? This is going to be awesome! but no, it's not, it's a mess that doesn't satisfy even one of the niches they are trying to cover, except the one that likes flashy messes.

and in general, steampunk blows. Hot stinky farty steam.
  • SamhaelSamhael Member RarePosts: 1,272
    To answer the question posed in the article title: "Will A:IR Reignite AAA MMORPG Development?" I would have to answer "no." I don't think this is going to be AAA. I think it's just going to be another Asian grinder with mild localization but only a shallow attempt to understand the NA market before it's "localized."
  • MaurgrimMaurgrim Member RarePosts: 1,270
    Gender lock, stuttering trailer, classic Asian grinder, huge world yes I like, Asian huge worlds usually are pretty empty so no thanks.
  • MrMelGibsonMrMelGibson Member EpicPosts: 3,022

Jet packs, mini-gun, flying sailboats, dragons, magic, mech robots...

Mixing too much stuff imo... I'll pass.

You basically described Wow. It's doing just fine.
    Xarko
  • MrMelGibsonMrMelGibson Member EpicPosts: 3,022

Forgrimm said:

I have a hard time understanding why so many people object so much to gender locking. 

Because I have no interest in playing female characters. 

Exactly. I don't want to play as a female and my wife doesn't want to play as male. Not to hard to comprehend.
  • PinnheadPinnhead Member UncommonPosts: 3
    Check their Twitter , No gender Lock ....... np you're welcome...
  • OG_ZorvanOG_Zorvan Member EpicPosts: 2,036
    I consider neither Bluehole nor Kakao to be "AAA", so no.
    ConstantineMerus

MMORPG.COM took away my swinging cheerleader butt .gif.

• DMKanoDMKano Member LegendaryPosts: 22,107
    OG_Zorvan said:
    I consider neither Bluehole nor Kakao to be "AAA", so no.

Well people can say - "I don't consider the Sun to be a star" - but they'd be wrong.

Just because you don't consider them to be AAA - doesn't change the fact that they ARE AAA studios - Both TERA and BDO are AAA games.

ConstantineMerusOG_ZorvanLeiloniMrMelGibson
  • DMKanoDMKano Member LegendaryPosts: 22,107

Jet packs, mini-gun, flying sailboats, dragons, magic, mech robots...

Mixing too much stuff imo... I'll pass.

You basically described Wow. It's doing just fine.

The thing is - in WoW - all of those things actually mesh stylistically - and due to highly stylized art and excellent Blizzard art team - they pull it off well.

In contrast - again in my opinion - in this game - it's lacking cohesion, it looks like a bunch of disparate concepts thrown together.
    MrMelGibson