Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Will A:IR Reignite AAA MMORPG Development? - Bill Murphy - MMORPG.com

Comments

• tofuknighttofuknight Member UncommonPosts: 15
    I really don't see the problems with gender lock when there's lore behind it. Are people saying they want to have male valkyries/amazons/witches running around and female wizards.

Because is quite clear that when the above class is mention in the public there is already a set image of specific sex for those class. So what's wrong with gender locking it.

Yes , I agree some companies is lazy and that does it so they don't have to do more. But that doesn't mean all gender lock is bad.

For one I would throw up if I see a bunch of amazon men's jumping out in the wonder women movie wearing those clothes.
  • tofuknighttofuknight Member UncommonPosts: 15
    edited November 2017

Nope, not ever buying/playing a Korean made MMO again. To much grind, to much RNG, to much cash shop.

Lol, u say it like western game doesn't have rng and grind. Do u think everyone In vanilla wow have a legendary? Or do u think u didn't have to go through mc over and over again b4 going in blackwing lair then naxx.
  • NildenNilden Member EpicPosts: 3,916
    Lusts said:
    Nope. It's Bluehole & Kakao. Two companies I hate when it comes to monetisation practices.
    Sadly any desire I have to play will probably be completely killed by the cash shop.

"You CAN'T buy ships for RL money." - MaxBacon

"classification of games into MMOs is not by rational reasoning" - nariusseldon

Love Minecraft. And check out my Youtube channel OhCanadaGamer

Try a MUD today at http://www.mudconnect.com/ 

• ConstantineMerusConstantineMerus Member EpicPosts: 3,338
    People like to pick their genders and it is their right. It is one thing to play Tomb Raider or other games with a female leading role, because it is the story of that particular character. But when it comes down to MMOs, we all like to play a bit of dress up, on some level, we're all playing The Sims one way or the other. 

We're hanging out with friends, we're in a community, we maintain sort of an image of ourselves in the virtual world. Hence, there NEEDS to be options to pick your gender. 
    Constantine, The Console Poster

• "One of the most difficult tasks men can perform, however much others may despise it, is the invention of good games and it cannot be done by men out of touch with their instinctive selves." - Carl Jung
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 31,937
    Forgrimm said:
    Forgrimm said:
    I have a hard time understanding why so many people object so much to gender locking. 
    Because I have no interest in playing female characters. 
    So you never played a Tomb Raider game then? Or any of the dozen other games with a female protagonist?
    Not that I recall, no. And it's different in an mmo, when you're interacting with other people. I tried a female character in WoW and the amount of creepiness I witnessed made me realize I'd never do it again.
    hmmm, maybe this is brought on by how people act in these games.

I've played female characters for years and never once had anything creepy happen.

The only thing I had was a guy in Lineage 2 telling me that he "didn't pk chicks". I think he actually thought I was a woman.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 9,196
    edited November 2017
    I don't like gender lock but its not a deal breaker for me. 

If the story is about a Female Mystic then the character is going to be a female.  That's just how some eastern companies make their games. 

ConstantineMerus
  • MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    edited November 2017
    My hot take:

Blizzard's Classic server release and an ingenious long-term plan to retain interest in the Classic servers will reignite western MMORPG development.
    NildenXarko

• jdlamson75jdlamson75 Member UncommonPosts: 1,010
    I look forward to games where the devs pull three English words out of a hat to name a game.
  • heerobyaheerobya Member UncommonPosts: 465
    BUT IS IT A WOW-KILLER?!?

J/K, oh MMORPG.com, never change!

More interested in the new Lineage Eternal, whatever they renamed it.

This game looks... like a mess. Too many ideas/genres blended together. Like watching an epic battle in LOTRO and suddenly a Titan drops in from orbit. Pass!

I'm always hopeful that new games are good and make people happy. And success leads to more games, so hopefully this and other do kick off another golden age of MMOs, though it seems like just about everything is now some sort of online MP thing with MMO/RPG elements, its nice to see more traditional MMOs still being made.

Just need to see more on console! Grinding through quests/kills on console is like 100x more enjoyable, IMO, for this old, old MMO vet.
  • ShaighShaigh Member EpicPosts: 2,142
    Flashy announcement trailers doesn't excite me anymore and the aerial battles were bit of a turnoff.
    Iselin: And the next person who says "but it's a business, they need to make money" can just go fuck yourself.
  • DvoraDvora Member UncommonPosts: 499
    edited November 2017

Game doesn’t look good. Just a bunch of flashy stuff in a trailer like Destiny but no soul, substance or fun.

I tend to agree, but hard to get everything from a trailer. What I know I don't like though is how they basically try to cram all genres into one game.

Lets have swords, and magic, and dragons, and guns, and mechs and tanks, and airships, and lasers, and cute bears! oh my what else? This is going to be awesome! but no, it's not, it's a mess that doesn't satisfy even one of the niches they are trying to cover, except the one that likes flashy messes.

and in general, steampunk blows. Hot stinky farty steam.
  • SamhaelSamhael Member RarePosts: 1,495
    To answer the question posed in the article title: "Will A:IR Reignite AAA MMORPG Development?" I would have to answer "no." I don't think this is going to be AAA. I think it's just going to be another Asian grinder with mild localization but only a shallow attempt to understand the NA market before it's "localized."
  • MaurgrimMaurgrim Member RarePosts: 1,324
    Gender lock, stuttering trailer, classic Asian grinder, huge world yes I like, Asian huge worlds usually are pretty empty so no thanks.
  • MrMelGibsonMrMelGibson Member EpicPosts: 3,033

Jet packs, mini-gun, flying sailboats, dragons, magic, mech robots...

Mixing too much stuff imo... I'll pass.

You basically described Wow. It's doing just fine.
    Xarko
  • MrMelGibsonMrMelGibson Member EpicPosts: 3,033

Forgrimm said:

I have a hard time understanding why so many people object so much to gender locking. 

Because I have no interest in playing female characters. 

Exactly. I don't want to play as a female and my wife doesn't want to play as male. Not to hard to comprehend.
  • PinnheadPinnhead Member UncommonPosts: 3
    Check their Twitter , No gender Lock ....... np you're welcome...
  • SomethingUnusualSomethingUnusual Member UncommonPosts: 546
    I look forward to games where the devs pull three English words out of a hat to name a game.
    Not to single you out, just a quick grab for example. Seen this comment subject come up in this thread a few times. Which got me thinking.

The writers over there are obsessed with the elements. TERA The Exiled Realm of Arborea (Earth, ground, Terra). and now A:IR... I suspect in the future, we will see FIRE, and WATER come eventually. 
    DMKano said:

Jet packs, mini-gun, flying sailboats, dragons, magic, mech robots...

Mixing too much stuff imo... I'll pass.

You basically described Wow. It's doing just fine.

The thing is - in WoW - all of those things actually mesh stylistically - and due to highly stylized art and excellent Blizzard art team - they pull it off well.

In contrast - again in my opinion - in this game - it's lacking cohesion, it looks like a bunch of disparate concepts thrown together.
    I personally don't think all those things mesh stylistically. WoW has been turned into a chronicle of all things popular in the past 14 years. You find reference to EVERYTHING in that game. We can send a copy to aliens to learn about our culture. 

And it has been like this since the early stages. For instance, Zeppelins were meshed fine, but not Harley (!) motorcycles. 

• "One of the most difficult tasks men can perform, however much others may despise it, is the invention of good games and it cannot be done by men out of touch with their instinctive selves." - Carl Jung
  • LucienReneLucienRene Member UncommonPosts: 77
    Not interested. Five gender locked (uninspired) classes. And of the two options for males, I'm not impressed. I hope it does well, more options are better for the market as a whole.

Not interested. Five gender locked (uninspired) classes. And of the two options for males, I'm not impressed. I hope it does well, more options are better for the market as a whole.

It has been established that there are no gender locked classes. 

BillMurphy said:
    Bingo. Was just going to bring this up. Confirmed that they will NOT be gender locked. 

Grend said:

Well I guess you are in luck. In the faqs on their forums, they already addressed the question about genderlocking. The plan is to have the 5 classes to be available for both genders.

https://forum.airthegame.com/index.php?threads/the-a-ir-teaser-faq-is-live.43/

LucienRene

• LucienReneLucienRene Member UncommonPosts: 77

It has been established that there are no gender locked classes. 

BillMurphy said:
    Bingo. Was just going to bring this up. Confirmed that they will NOT be gender locked. 

Grend said:

Well I guess you are in luck. In the faqs on their forums, they already addressed the question about genderlocking. The plan is to have the 5 classes to be available for both genders.

https://forum.airthegame.com/index.php?threads/the-a-ir-teaser-faq-is-live.43/

That is the PLAN. Plans can change. As of this moment, the classes are gender locked. When that goes from being a plan to being a FACT I will re-asses.  

P.S. Thanks for the info :)
    Mikeha
  • SomethingUnusualSomethingUnusual Member UncommonPosts: 546
    OG_Zorvan said:
    DMKano said:
    OG_Zorvan said:
    I consider neither Bluehole nor Kakao to be "AAA", so no.

Well people can say - "I don't consider the Sun to be a star" - but they'd be wrong.

Just because you don't consider them to be AAA - doesn't change the fact that they ARE AAA studios - Both TERA and BDO are AAA games.

If TERA and BDO are examples of modern "AAA" games, then this genre is indeed fucked beyond repair. Being the shiniest turds in the bowl doesn't make them "AAA", it just makes them shiny turds.
    AAA just means they have a good budget. Art is still subjective. 

Take it or leave it man, it's AAA because of the money. Not your opinion of the studios and their works. 
    ConstantineMerus[Deleted User]Kyleran[Deleted User]LeiloniArglebarglePingu2012
    OG_Zorvan said:
    DMKano said:
    OG_Zorvan said:
    I consider neither Bluehole nor Kakao to be "AAA", so no.

Well people can say - "I don't consider the Sun to be a star" - but they'd be wrong.

Just because you don't consider them to be AAA - doesn't change the fact that they ARE AAA studios - Both TERA and BDO are AAA games.

If TERA and BDO are examples of modern "AAA" games, then this genre is indeed fucked beyond repair. Being the shiniest turds in the bowl doesn't make them "AAA", it just makes them shiny turds.
    AAA is a term related to budget of development and promotion, not quality. 
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AAA_(video_game_industry)

Also what you call turd, many consider as quality products. That is just your personal and somehow emotional opinion. 
    [Deleted User][Deleted User]Leiloni

• hyllyhhyllyh Member UncommonPosts: 477
    future hyped empty shell, and with kakao behind you'll sure to spend more$$ before saying: WTF?
  • Tiamat64Tiamat64 Member RarePosts: 1,545
    OG_Zorvan said:
    So using that definition, basically any nub who gets a shitload of kickstarter money is a "AAA" developer. roflmao
    Those games are referred to as "Having AAA budgets".  The developer itself is technically not using their own money so can't really be considered AAA, I think.