Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mount skin loot boxs

TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,163
edited November 2017 in Guild Wars 2
I figured they would add new mount skins for purchase from the day they announced mounts; which they did. What I didn't expect is that they would add random loot boxes for the new skins to the mix. I like variety, but c'mon random skins?  And don't even get me started on the $25 Reforged Warhound skin.

In chat I'm hearing people who bought 2 of the 3400 gem 10 adoption licenses. I really have my doubts this is even a whale thing, most people think it's a great deal lol.

https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/the-reforged-warhound-and-friends-are-looking-for-homes/

SWG Bloodfin vet
Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

Comments

• WarlyxWarlyx Member EpicPosts: 3,363
    yeah adding mounts wasnt just for gameplay there was money to be made
  • PinoXPinoX Member UncommonPosts: 71
    edited November 2017
    Anet is going to monetize the hell out of mounts skins, just like they do with outfits, bl keys, dyes and gliders.
    And for those who keep screaming 'vote with your wallet', i'm sorry to tell you that it won't work. These mounts are literally filling up in the game (regardless of the method) with gw2spidy exchange popping up (ie, rl money spending going up) and players seems to confirm this @ forum and reddit.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/7bx9kq/wp_mountgate/
    WP might be unnecessarily whiny and long when it comes to his videos. Him saying he is neutral to such debacle is not unexpected, his lively hood depended on it anyway. However, that video does led to some discussion on that reddit link about the likely hood of whales alone already enough to make up for "vote with your wallet" absentees and ppl who complains are not really the target audiences.
    WP calling this debacle overreaction is just absurd and shows how biased he is. It's gaming industry wide debacle and Anet just managed to stumble into it with their overpriced rng loot box.

Disturbingly, it somehow actually sort of shows that this article bear some form of truth to the whole debacle.
    http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2017-10-25-npd-loot-box-controversy-having-no-impact-on-sales-potential
    At the very least not in the foreseeable future in gaming industry. Long run, i hope it won't be tbh.
    I know EA did retract and confirm that their loot boxes won't be predatory. They are still going to monetize the shit out of it.
    What are we witnessing right now is a shift in marketing strategy focus from DLCs fest to rng loot boxes. Though, DLC nightmare is still going to be around for a long time.

Big gaming corporations are gouging the shit out of gamers and it becomes the trend. And gamers are going along with it just fine it seems. C'est la vie.

Post edited by PinoX on
    edited November 2017
    Official response and reactions.
    https://en-forum.guildwars2.com/discussion/15523/a-message-about-the-mount-adoption-license
    https://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/7c4y62/a_message_about_the_mount_adoption_license/

The whole thing is marketing ploy. I bet that statement was already drafted before even the patch kicked in. The reason the PoF base price is so low is because they had this in mind. It's all about calculated risk.

Creative marketing and accounting in the works here. With this and x-mas sale, Q4'17 financial report is going to look beefed up. So instead of having release quarter followed by slum, they'll have 2 quarters stability before slumping. January is when ppl pocket is empty anyway. Ending 2017 on high note.
    It's very crafty tbh. The reputation backlash though, it's not pretty.
    I'm starting to think Anet is switching to milking mode before moving on to next project in the next few years.

• KnightFalzKnightFalz Member EpicPosts: 4,166
    If you don't want it, don't buy it.

Problem solved.
  • DakeruDakeru Member EpicPosts: 3,802
    PinoX said:
    The reason the PoF base price is so low is because they had this in mind. It's all about calculated risk.

I feel you are right and I won't lie - I'm not a big fan of loot boxes.

Thing is I remember charts showing that GW2 wasn't making too much profit and I guess some bosses were rather unhappy about this.

This is nothing though when you compare it to people buying a ton of Gems just to convert them to gold to buy legendary weapon skins.

So I guess I will just be happy that the expansion was only 30€ for me and let the whales do their thing.
    Harbinger of Fools
    Dakeru said:
    PinoX said:
    The reason the PoF base price is so low is because they had this in mind. It's all about calculated risk.

I feel you are right and I won't lie - I'm not a big fan of loot boxes.

Thing is I remember charts showing that GW2 wasn't making too much profit and I guess some bosses were rather unhappy about this.

This is nothing though when you compare it to people buying a ton of Gems just to convert them to gold to buy legendary weapon skins.

So I guess I will just be happy that the expansion was only 30€ for me and let the whales do their thing.
    This is true not only for Gen1 legendary weapons but also Gen2. Huge portion of Gen2 is still literally gold sink to vendor and mystic forge anyway, with the rest made up of bunch task/chores.
    I understand your point.

Ah well ...