Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

A friend got kicked from a guild for being disabled.

hakkabuffhakkabuff Member UncommonPosts: 1
I am so angry right now!
A friend of mine who is disabled.
She's legally blind (she uses a special monitor along with special glasses) and she just got kicked from a guild for not being able to tell if the text in the message box changed and if people were talking to her or not. She works all day and has little time to play as much as she'd like. She was accused of being rude and upon explaining her situation she was told that she would be much happier in another guild that entertains her sort of people. I don't think I have ever heard of a player being discriminated against because of a disability, and being kicked because she wasn't able to follow every message that came up in the message field is downright childish.
This entire kerfuffle started with her asking if she could add an alt to the group and she must have insulted the guild leaders or something because this is something else.
I unfortunately do not know the full name of the guild in question.... Arcana something, it has a weird name. (she was playing on Chaos/Odin as she likes nordic mythology).

Comments

• BeefFandangoBeefFandango Member UncommonPosts: 31
    As much as I sympathise.. did you really expect your average gamer to stray far from conceit? 
  • bartoni33bartoni33 Member RarePosts: 2,044
    I could see this happening in a heavy raiding guild (although voice chat is the norm with them) but in this game I'm surprised.

I think their is more to the story IMHO.
    Phry

Bartoni's Law definition: As an Internet discussion grows volatile, the probability of a comparison involving Donald Trump approaches 1.

• vanderghastvanderghast Member UncommonPosts: 309
    who cares?  Find another guild that doesn't mind that type of thing and is willing to work with the disability.
  • PopplePopple Member UncommonPosts: 239
    Just face the true facts the Gaming world is evil and i have the forums to prove it..Just go to mmor** er,I mean  to any mmo sites and or game site.. >:)

I retired retroactively..Haha

• MagikarpsGhostMagikarpsGhost Member RarePosts: 689
    just remmeber, the gaming community tends to be filled with egotistical assholes who have forgotten that its not baout some gear score or K/D but about having fun. I am sorry it happened to her but honestly its for the best.

free 7 day sub and unlocks for swtor new accounts and 90+ day inactive subs click here to get it!

Click here for trove referral, bonuses to both!

• NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,617
    I don't agree with most of the replies here. Gamers have donated millions to help all manner of people. I'm sure there are many guilds that would be kinder and helpful. Don't let jerks get you down. 
  • veratutazzveratutazz Member UncommonPosts: 136
    So ... a couple of questions ... #1- Did they make fun of her? Kick her to the curb because she was disabled.... or because she could not follow the game to the level of  .. .. uhm .. performance? .. that the guild wants?  #2- Umm ... don't you think she probably WILL enjoy the game better outside that guild? 
  • krulerkruler Member UncommonPosts: 589
    AHHHH guilds, not all guilds are bad, but if you join one that's screaming we are number 1, raids days blah blah must attend, run the BLEEP away fast find a "family guild".

I also find guilds that require you to go out of game to apply and interview are also in my experience just jumped up narcissistic precious princesses that believe they now have a modicum of power other people that they can not, and will not ever have in real life environment.

There will be now several posts from people claiming that they are guild leaders and captains of industry, I however will counter beforehand "NOOoooooooope "

Guilds can be brilliant, been in a few, one I have been in for 7 years but sadly there are quite a few that are like I've stated above, which is fine if  everyone in it is of a similar hue, but with those guilds its all or nothing, no flexibility, focus on the goal, focus on the goal, not everyone plays like its a job, some play for fun.

So to the OP,s friend take this as a blessing that after a hard day at work, you went online into a stressful situation, now you have had that experience you can move on to find a better gaming community which would of helped you and not persecuted.

Oh raiding, just brings the bitch out of people, and its boring, lazy game design. 

• Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    edited February 2017
    Blessing in disguise.  It's better she found out about them now then after putting in a lot of time with them.  Like someone else said, she should find a more supportive guild and they are out there.  Once she finds a better guild she will wish she had been with them sooner.

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,001
    hakkabuff said:
    I am so angry right now!
    A friend of mine who is disabled.
    She's legally blind (she uses a special monitor along with special glasses) and she just got kicked from a guild for not being able to tell if the text in the message box changed and if people were talking to her or not. She works all day and has little time to play as much as she'd like. She was accused of being rude and upon explaining her situation she was told that she would be much happier in another guild that entertains her sort of people. I don't think I have ever heard of a player being discriminated against because of a disability, and being kicked because she wasn't able to follow every message that came up in the message field is downright childish.
    This entire kerfuffle started with her asking if she could add an alt to the group and she must have insulted the guild leaders or something because this is something else.
    I unfortunately do not know the full name of the guild in question.... Arcana something, it has a weird name. (she was playing on Chaos/Odin as she likes nordic mythology).
    I'm going with what Vanderghast said. Why in the world would anyone want to be part of a group that didn't want them?

Find people who don't care and who base their membership "on the person". In truth? This is a blessing in disguise. She was with the wrong people. Get her to a good guild.
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • ConstantineMerusConstantineMerus Member EpicPosts: 3,338
    The only blessing you'd receive from assholes is for them to leave you alone.
    Constantine, The Console Poster

• "One of the most difficult tasks men can perform, however much others may despise it, is the invention of good games and it cannot be done by men out of touch with their instinctive selves." - Carl Jung
  • Kunai_VaxKunai_Vax Member RarePosts: 527
    I doubt we are hearing the whole story. 
    Just the version of it that makes us react the way to OP wants. 

Phry

• TheScavengerTheScavenger Member EpicPosts: 3,321
    edited February 2017
    This never happens in WoW. I've been in many guilds on Tichondrius, Emerald Dream and Moonguard and everyone always goes out of their way to help anyone who may be disabled. On Tichondrious (one of the top PvP servers on US), the top guilds I've been on on the server I've seen actually go out of their way to help deaf members of the guild.

This is very surprising to read it happening in FFXIV. I've heard it has a much better community than WoW, but maybe things changed. Either that, or just really unlucky.

Is this on either Balmung or Leviathon? Or Gilgamesh? I believe those three are the top 3 servers in the game, and I've heard TONS of horror stories of how terrible the communities are them. People in WoW saying they tried FFXIV and got on those servers and had terrible experiences.

Personally I was on Fairy, and it was friendly...really quiet though everywhere I went, but it wasn't too bad. I got into a good guild and everyone was super friendly, but even guild chat was kinda dead most of the time. FFXIV wasn't for me, but even though it was a quiet server, I felt really welcomed on it.

My Skyrim, Fallout 4, Starbound and WoW + other game mods at MODDB: 

https://www.moddb.com/mods/skyrim-anime-overhaul

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    DMKano said:
    Many guilds operate under very simple premise:

Perform as requested or you are out

So while disability may have been the underlying cause, I doubt it was the reason for getting kicked out, it was failure to perform up to expectation.

I mean people get kicked out because they miss 3 consecutive guild raids in many top guilds - maybe because of a business trip, family emergency or heck.... Medical emergency.

But if guild has a policy of "miss 3 raids in a row and you are out" - if someone was hospitalized for a month - they didn't get kicked out for getting sick, or whatever disability or other reasons - no - it's because they failed to meet guild expectations.

This.
    It does sound like the Guild had requirements for membership, the disabled player was unable to meet those requirements, and was evicted because of it.
    It is unreasonable to force people to make exceptions because of personal circumstances, likely if the Player had been forthcoming about their ability to meet the Guilds rules/expectations then they would not have been able to join the Guild in the first place.
    Some Guilds, and i mean a lot of Guilds really, have very clearly defined goals of what kind of activity they take part in, and what is expected of the player if they want to become a member, when a member does not meet those expectations they are spoiling the game for the other Guild members.

There are Guilds that are more social than objective orientated, where having a disability does not put them at a disadvantage nor does it affect the other Guild members by having a member with disabilities that cannot perhaps do some things all that well.

If a player knowingly joins a Guild by deceiving them about their abilities to join in the Guild activities, then that is very selfish behaviour, and is likely to get them kicked from the Guild unless the Guild Officers/Master are exceptionally forgiving etc. mostly Guild Masters are under enough pressure already without having to make exceptions for members who fail to meet their commitments.

If the player joined the Guild and explained their disability and how it might affect their ability to join in certain Guild activities and they were still accepted into the Guild, then really there is no excuse for them changing their minds later on, they are at fault for misleading the disabled player.

There is also the possible breach of ettiquette, the OP indicated that the Guild Master thought the disabled player was rude, perhaps through miscommunication, but not necessarily.
    Its also a possibility that the reason for the disabled players 'eviction' wasn't because of their disability, but because they got into an argument with the Guild Master, and perhaps said something they would later regret. :o

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Is the use of discord voice chat not a thing in this game?
    Benezetta
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    Sovrath said:
    I'm going with what Vanderghast said. Why in the world would anyone want to be part of a group that didn't want them?

Find people who don't care and who base their membership "on the person". In truth? This is a blessing in disguise. She was with the wrong people. Get her to a good guild.
    While that is true it is still one of the lowest things I heard a guild do (together with a guild that found out one of their raiders was a girl IRL and kicked her because of it but that was a long time ago).
    DMKano said:
    Many guilds operate under very simple premise:

Perform as requested or you are out

So while disability may have been the underlying cause, I doubt it was the reason for getting kicked out, it was failure to perform up to expectation.

I mean people get kicked out because they miss 3 consecutive guild raids in many top guilds - maybe because of a business trip, family emergency or heck.... Medical emergency.

But if guild has a policy of "miss 3 raids in a row and you are out" - if someone was hospitalized for a month - they didn't get kicked out for getting sick, or whatever disability or other reasons - no - it's because they failed to meet guild expectations.
    I don't think using the voice chat instead of answering to typed messages due to a handicap really qualifies. Sure, maybe she played badly or something else but both you and me know that while the majority of guilds are nice people there are some real jerks and in any case they could have handled this far better.

I have of coursed kicked people from my guilds as well, but I always explains just why people get kicked (like racist comments, constantly fighting with the other guildies all the or the old favorite repeatedly screaming on the healer when they die because their own lousy gameplay), only exception was the paladin who suddenly started to spew nazi propaganda in EQ2 (yeah, really), but I think he got it anyways. He seemed nice for like 2 days before the incident.

People actually deserves to hear why they get booted or they wont learn anything from it.
    Normally, if the guild start to have a problem with a player I have a private discussion with them about it and that usually is good enough and they stop, or the player quits himself/herself because he/she don't agree with our actually pretty relaxed rules of behavior.
  • DragnelusDragnelus Member EpicPosts: 3,503
    edited February 2017
    I think you offense her now, with putting the disabilty card. I think she is more over it than you? I would!

Edit: And I dont know the whole story, isnt it nice from the guild to take in a person with disabilty and group with it? This kind of story always has 2 sides, too bad we wont hear the other side :)

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    This is kinda like being mad that your friend was dumped (in middle school).. The solution is the same as well, there are other fish in the sea. Whether these guys were a-holes I can't say. Yet if they did say she'd be happier somewhere else,that doesn't seem that they were trying to be a-holes about it. They were just being honest. 

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,888
    edited February 2017
    When someone tells me that she's disabled when she's joining, she gets my sympathy and I'll see if we can make the special arrangements she needs.

But if someone tells me after she's gotten into trouble because of her behavior or actions, I'll just feel betrayed that she didn't bother to tell me before the shit hit the fan.

I don't know what happened between leaders of that guild and your friend, but my sympathy is with the guild's leaders. They must have felt betrayed by your friend to hear about her disability only at that point.

• LeiloniLeiloni Member RarePosts: 1,266
    This just sounds like the guild had certain requirements and OP's friend couldn't meet them. Every guild has certain requirements and needing to read chat is perfectly reasonable. It doesn't sound like she was discriminated against, it just sounds like she couldn't follow the rules and the guild is within their rights to kick her for it. She sounds like someone who needs to be in a really casual guild and there's nothing wrong with that. I'm disappointed that OP is playing the disability card to make an innocent guild seem like the bad guys. That's really dirty behavior.
  • XatshXatsh Member RarePosts: 451
    edited February 2017
    I would have to know the guild and it's requirements. 

If they had specific requirements and they were known well I can agree with the guild's decision if  nothing was said prior I would have an issue.

I ran a high end guild in ffxi, ffxiv for years and when people with disabilities wanted to join I always gave them a shot but let them know I could not hold the guild back or jeperdize the success of events due to the disability.

Most times it turned out fine in the end. I only had to let 1 person go due a disability it caused them to be unable to do the majority of endgame events at level we needed. I did not just kick them though. any leader that is actually good would pull them aside and explain the situation , if the person is reasonable they should understand. Will say it felt like crap doing it, was a nice person just not able to do what we needed her to do.
  • DarkswormDarksworm Member RarePosts: 1,081
    jircris said:
    just remmeber, the gaming community tends to be filled with egotistical assholes who have forgotten that its not baout some gear score or K/D but about having fun. I am sorry it happened to her but honestly its for the best.
    Is it fun grouping with someone who can't tell what people are saying in chat or if they're being addressed in chat?

It's a serious question - I'm not being a smart-ass...

There are different types of disabilities.  Someone can have no legs, and that will not affect their ability to play this game.  Being legally blind does affect their ability to play the game, and not everyone is obligated to accommodate any disability.  Their players in an MMORPG, not regulated businesses.

Yes, it sounds terrible, but welcome to the real world - specifically the corner of it where Political Correctness isn't the standard doctrine.