Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Will A:IR Reignite AAA MMORPG Development? - Bill Murphy - MMORPG.com

Comments

• Asm0deusAsm0deus Member EpicPosts: 4,389
    edited November 2017
    Biggest gripe is "Asian" mmo so can we expect stamina bar or labor point malarky?  Maybe they will also sprinkle in some lootboxes etc etc too?
    Tokken

Brenics ~ Just to point out I do believe Chris Roberts is going down as the man who cheated backers and took down crowdfunding for gaming.

• NildenNilden Member EpicPosts: 3,916
    I don't like gender locking, but it's not a deal breaker for me. I totally get why it can be for some, though. Hopefully they learn from BDO.
    It's not a deal breaker for me either but a shitty cash shop will be. Any word on that front?
    azurreiTokken

"You CAN'T buy ships for RL money." - MaxBacon

"classification of games into MMOs is not by rational reasoning" - nariusseldon

Love Minecraft. And check out my Youtube channel OhCanadaGamer

Try a MUD today at http://www.mudconnect.com/ 

• SamhaelSamhael Member RarePosts: 1,495

Albatroes said:

We have to be honest here, if they shoot themselves in the foot and make it a pvp only without pve servers then its already a loss. I'll admit AA would've done a lot better if it was handled right in terms of management but it would've still been niche without pve servers. If they do pve servers, then that's a step in the right direction for a majority or at least have similar penalties like BDO where OWPvP kind of feels pointless. There's always a way to handle both and even WoW is doing something in the right direction by doing away with PvE/PvP servers per se and just making it so you can opt in/out of OWPvP and phased to those types of realms (or whatever they are being called) when you feel like participating.

Personally, I care more about the systems after hitting cap since I'm obsessed with my playstyle continuously changing after playing a class for a while at cap to make me want to keep playing it vs the hamster wheel gear grind.

Well, Bill said in the article that it looked to have "everything an [sic] MMORPG fan desires." So that should mean PvE servers! I'm looking for a decent PvE game and nothing out of the last couple of years has been.
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Torval said:
    Iselin said:
    Interesting concept and visuals. Those airships in the first scene made me think of how I envision some of the later Shannara books.

Hopefully the game play will be a bit more Western, i.e. not as mind-numbingly grindy as most Eastern MMOs.

I didn't make the Shannara connection but now that you mention it, very interesting.
    I don't just like steampunk, I like the reasons why magic and tech are put together in fantasy worlds :) Terry Brook's Shannara was my first exposure several decades ago to the concept that magic happens AFTER tech since it's set in a far-future Earth.

Bethesda (at least according to some leaked internal docs I saw on reddit a while back) also seems to be heading in that direction with the timeline they're cooking up to tie their different IPs. According to that, Fallout is first, then that new space IP (as yet un-named as far as I know) they're working on and the Elder Scrolls as far future... makes a bit more sense of all that Dwemer tech around.
    [Deleted User]ConstantineMerus
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
    Gender lock is, sorry to say, a deal breaker for me if there is no option to play the type of class I prefer as a female character. I simply don't understand why there even is such a thing as gender locking in this era of MMOs.

I guess we'll see once more is known about AIR -- I hope I can find a place since the world really needs a great steampunk game.
    [Deleted User]velimiriusSamhaelAeliousValentina

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

• AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671

SBFord said:

Gender lock is, sorry to say, a deal breaker for me if there is no option to play the type of class I prefer as a female character. I simply don't understand why there even is such a thing as gender locking in this era of MMOs.

I guess we'll see once more is known about AIR -- I hope I can find a place since the world really needs a great steampunk game.

From what they used to say about Gender-locking (which I think is just BS personally and just an excuse to be lazy more than anything) is that its just cheaper and allows them to replicate more players at a faster rate when you have large scale battles. If they are going to do gender-locking, it wouldn't be a surprise given BDO and how well received that's been even with genderlocking. To me, its just about them making more money with minimal effort. I do love the "lore/backstory" excuse that even BDO tried to use to justify gender locking.
    SBFordGdemami
  • velimiriusvelimirius Member UncommonPosts: 134
    Woah, judging the trailer its just what i need, fistful of fps in big battles. Slideshows...
  • LustsLusts Member RarePosts: 205
    Nope. It's Bluehole & Kakao. Two companies I hate when it comes to monetisation practices.
    PinoXNildenSirBalin
  • BruceYeeBruceYee Member EpicPosts: 2,556
    Eastern companies design games for their target market which are eastern gamers who at least in Korea have a completely different set of preferences. Games in Korea are more social where a group of friends go out to a netcafe and spend a portion of their Saturday night playing games and unless my memory fails me, most gamers who I've read about that died due to exhaustion have done so in netcafes. That is why they design most of their games flashy and without too much depth cause they are meant to be temporary and in most cases pay to play not pay to own much like arcade games. BDO and Archeage are rare cause the creator just happened to like sandbox games so he added more depth which is what the west loves/needs. Eastern games coming to the west is an afterthought and they must first appease their target audience and unfortunately for us they don't mind gender locks and some(maybe most) actually prefer playing as a female in that anime heavy culture.
    d_20
  • XiaokiXiaoki Member EpicPosts: 3,823

SBFord said:

Its a question of generic vs specialized.

Korean developers have specialized animation and armor for the classes rather than generic animation and generic armor.

The Black Desert CEO said that because of this creating a gender swapped version of a class(like Warrior and Valkyrie) takes as much work as creating a brand new class.

Making high quality animation on the scale of an MMO class takes a lot of time and money.
    Pingu2012
  • AnirethAnireth Member UncommonPosts: 940
    If they at least make the classes different, like it is e.g. in Vindictus. Then they saved some time and created a truly different class instead. Heck, Vindictus got two classes in one with the different weapons. The gender lock in BDO is pointless however. Wizard/Witch, Musa/Maewha etc. They could have mashed the skills and weapons together and simply allowed you to choose.

My biggest problem with Asian MMOs is usually how the outfits looks. They are often simply ridiculous. There were like 1-2 outfits in B&S out of 50 or so that were bearable. Black Desert suffers from a similar fate, with far less outfits to choose from. TERA the armor was either from the red light district, or so over the top that even Warhammer and WoW get crippling depression due to being outdone. And oftne you get only one part that covers everything from head to foot.

Vindictus is the only one that did it right. It had armor of all kinds across all levels and types, and it consisted of individual parts, so you could mix and match, both the original armor as well as the fuse. The costumes on the other hand were almost all beyond stupid though.

I also wonder why they chose Two Steps from Hell for their trailer. Of course, it's popular as trailer music. But shouldn't a MMO that is this close to beta have it's on music? Especially if they already target the west, thats at best really late in the development cycle. Steparu says Korean beta is next week, so the music must be in place already.

I'll wait to the day's end when the moon is high
    And then I'll rise with the tide with a lust for life, I'll
    Amass an army, and we'll harness a horde
    And then we'll limp across the land until we stand at the shore

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    Neither there nor here,very few have figured out to make a game beyond small gimmicks like graphics or character sliders.
    I have seen absolutely no indication that a KR game will be anything other than an arpg look alike both in meaningless world and lazy spam combat.
    So i FIRST need to see a changing of the guard,i need to see some effort and thought pout into games and not all clonealikes,then i will start to look forward to and hope.

To me it is as simple as a baseball pitcher,if he throws 90mph fastballs all the time,  why would i think he is suddenly going to throw 100 mph fastballs?When i see 1 then  maybe 2 or 3,then i wil believe it can be done consistently.
    BillMurphyConstantineMerusBruceYee

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• 03cobradude03cobradude Member UncommonPosts: 47
    Nope, not ever buying/playing a Korean made MMO again. To much grind, to much RNG, to much cash shop.
    SirBalin
  • GrendGrend Member UncommonPosts: 63
    edited November 2017

SBFord said:

Well I guess you are in luck. In the faqs on their forums, they already addressed the question about genderlocking. The plan is to have the 5 classes to be available for both genders.

https://forum.airthegame.com/index.php?threads/the-a-ir-teaser-faq-is-live.43/
    ForgrimmSBFord[Deleted User]MadFrenchieSamhaeld_20bartoni33
  • BillMurphyBillMurphy Former Managing EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 4,565
    Bingo. Was just going to bring this up. Confirmed that they will NOT be gender locked.

Grend said:

SBFord said:

Well I guess you are in luck. In the faqs on their forums, they already addressed the question about genderlocking. The plan is to have the 5 classes to be available for both genders.

Forgrimm[Deleted User]MadFrenchieConstantineMerus

Try to be excellent to everyone you meet. You never know what someone else has seen or endured.

My Review Manifesto
    Follow me on Twitter if you dare.

• azurreiazurrei Member UncommonPosts: 332
    edited November 2017

Nilden said:

I don't like gender locking, but it's not a deal breaker for me. I totally get why it can be for some, though. Hopefully they learn from BDO.

It's not a deal breaker for me either but a shitty cash shop will be. Any word on that front?

Gender locking just shows the laziness of the devs...so I wouldn't be very hopeful for the cash shop.

Edit: Looks like Gender locking is out - maybe there is hope ;)
  • Azaron_NightbladeAzaron_Nightblade Member EpicPosts: 4,829
    Bingo. Was just going to bring this up. Confirmed that they will NOT be gender locked.

Grend said:

SBFord said:

Probably worth mentioning on a future article, since a lot of people never read comments beyond the first page, @BillMurphy :D
    Kylerand_20kinkyJalepenobartoni33

My SWTOR referral link for those wanting to give the game a try. (Newbies get a welcome package while returning players get a few account upgrades to help with their preferred status.)

https://www.ashesofcreation.com/ref/Callaron/

• SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

Grend said:

SBFord said:

Probably worth mentioning on a future article, since a lot of people never read comments beyond the first page, @BillMurphy :D
    Well, it's not in the main article that way at all. It was just something people were speculating on. :)

I'm happy there won't be gender-locked classes. Warrior / Tank all the way in heavy plate for me then. I'll be watching this one with interest because...steampunk *eyes dazzle*
    [Deleted User]Azaron_NightbladeConstantineMerusMrMelGibson

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

edited November 2017
    SBFord said:

Grend said:

SBFord said:

Well, it's not in the main article that way at all. It was just something people were speculating on. :)

I'm happy there won't be gender-locked classes. Warrior / Tank all the way in heavy plate for me then. I'll be watching this one with interest because...steampunk *eyes dazzle*
    Yeah, me too. After closing in on two years of BDO now, my hatred for the gender-lock has been thoroughly rekindled. Especially since PA can't even stick to their own policy for not creating doubles. Female doubles are okay, but male classes are icky apparently.

And the Steampunk angle is refreshing. I can't recall seeing one before for an MMO. It's probably been done, but not by any titles I remember. >.>
    MrMelGibson

My SWTOR referral link for those wanting to give the game a try. (Newbies get a welcome package while returning players get a few account upgrades to help with their preferred status.)

• UNH0LYEV1LUNH0LYEV1L Member UncommonPosts: 571
    Game doesn’t look good. Just a bunch of flashy stuff in a trailer like Destiny but no soul, substance or fun.
    JemAs666azurreiMrMelGibson
    Game doesn’t look good. Just a bunch of flashy stuff in a trailer like Destiny but no soul, substance or fun.
    You've just described 95% of the trailers out there. And not just for video games either.
    Doesn't mean the gameplay can't be good.
    Leiloni

• sayuusayuu Member RarePosts: 766
    Tiller said:
    LrdEtrius said:
    Nope. I jumped out of the hype boat as soon as i noticed the gender lock. If they can't even have this basic thing in character management i don't wanna know the rest.

This game is what I would expect to see if you mixed GW2 with BDO. Looks ok but what is it with Korean games and gender lock classes?
    Korean culture is not hung up on genitalia as much as we, the west, are.
    Phaserlight
  • GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855
    Depends on how heavy they go RMT P2W. That only goes so far before players get their fill of this in what otherwise could be a decent game. Not exactly like they don't have the track record for it.

Nilden
  • sayuusayuu Member RarePosts: 766
    Torval said:
    sayuu said:
    Tiller said:
    LrdEtrius said:
    Nope. I jumped out of the hype boat as soon as i noticed the gender lock. If they can't even have this basic thing in character management i don't wanna know the rest.

This game is what I would expect to see if you mixed GW2 with BDO. Looks ok but what is it with Korean games and gender lock classes?
    Korean culture is not hung up on genitalia as much as we, the west, are.

Or Korean developers know where to trim the budget in areas their main demographic are okay with.

It's probably a lil bit of both. . .

. . .I can't be sure though, after all I'm not a Korean Developer. 
  • DavodtheTuttDavodtheTutt Member UncommonPosts: 415
    I kind of like the idea of "Let's throw in everything, including the kitchen sink," but it all comes down to how they actually execute each thing and how it all goes together to produce the game-playing experience. Sadly, it doesn't sound like they're going to try anything actually innovative, so there's a good chance it will just seem like a lot of stuff everybody's already done.

Specifically, when talking about "deep" crafting, I wonder if this will mean discoverable crafting based on the properties of the materials and means of processing them, or will it just be a more complicated form of the typical pre-set recipes and processing that involves no judgement (e.g. timing) or skill (e.g. using the mouse to carve or otherwise shape something). I'm looking forward to a game where I can be a crafter and have an explorer/miner bring me something and neither of us knows what it is or what it's good for until I try making something out of it.

Then take fishing: So many games (including console "fishing simulators") are very NOT like fishing in their "fishing." The console simulators at least have had some correlation between where you fish (and at what depth) and what fish you can catch. Some of the MMORPGs have had only certain, well-marked places where you are allowed to fish, and you either catch a random range or one specific kind for each spot. In most real fishing, the craft is mostly in selecting where to fish, what bait or lure to use, and how the bait/lure is presented/retrieved. And knowing when and how to set the hook. Unless you catch a whopper, after that you just reel in the fish. With a big fish, you may need to steer it clear of rocks or branches and not try to pull it in too fast. But with all too many games, cranking in the fish is turned into some silly arcade game, either rapidly responding to left/right arrows, or typing in a letter or alphanumeric sequence, or something else that completely ruins any immersion.

But I think the main thing an MMO needs to do is find whatever it takes to encourage people to team up with strangers -- not in guilds or other permanent groups, although that helps, too, but the kind of quick-and-easy team-ups that make newcomers and casual players feel welcome. There's no turn-off like playing a game because you are looking to play with other people, and the game just funnels you through missions and if you do anything with other players it's just being one of a big battle mob or worse, some PKer makes you dead before you hardly know what's happening. No game is going to last long if too many people have experiences like that too much.
    [Deleted User]