Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Star wars server merges happend yesterday, claim your name.

Thought lemme check the server and the names I had before bringing the kids to school.

7.38 AM

and this croud :P

Info:

On November 8th, 2017, the SWTOR servers will be merged into 5 new servers.

Why are the servers being merged?

There are not as many players actively playing as there were years ago. Players have requested server merges for years to help boost queue times for group activities and to make it easier for players to more easily find others to play with. The population of the servers had also become extremely unbalanced - some servers like the Harbinger and the Red Eclipse had extremely high populations, many others had "ok" populations, but there were a few servers including Jung Ma and Prophecy of the Five that had very few players logging in to play on them. Server merges will ensure that new and returning players won't accidentally wind up on "dead" servers, and should help queue times for those who enjoy group content including flashpoints, operations, PvP and GSF.

New Servers

Existing ServersNew United Forces Server
Harbinger, Bergeren Colony, BastionSatele Shan (North America, East Coast but contains mainly West Coast players)
Jedi Covenant, Shadowlands, Ebon Hawk, Prophecy of the Five, Jung MaStar Forge (North America, East Coast)
Progenitor, Tomb of Freedon Nadd, Red EclipseDarth Malgus (Europe – English)
Mantle of the Force, Battle Meditation, Darth NihilusThe Leviathan (Europe – French)
T3-M4, Vanjervalis Chain, Jar’Kai SwordTulak Hord (Europe – German)

Server Merge Information

• Items, Banks, Etc: Bioware is attempting to make sure players keep all their possessions the same as before server merges. This includes items, bank items, credits, decorations, strongholds, outfits and guilds. more info
  • Character Names: Players may lose their names in the server merge. If you lose your name to someone else, you will be offered a free rename. Subscribed players have priority over Free-to-Play players, and highly played characters will have priority over characters with less play time.
  • Character Slots: Free-to-Play and Preferred players who go over the limit of active characters they have available will not have their character deleted, but they will be unplayable (de-activated). more infoSubscribers will continue to be able to play all their characters, but will not be able to make new characters if they are over the limit. All three account types are going to have their max number of character slots increased.
  • The West Coast servers are now physically located in the East Coast. You may experience higher server lag if you live on the West Coast.

Comments

• ArchlyteArchlyte Member RarePosts: 1,405
    edited November 2017
    2017 wasn't the year. Maybe this game will die in 2018 and from its ashes something great will be born. 
    TyserieGdemamiSadfistortheneRich84Xarko
    MMORPG players are often like Hobbits: They don't like Adventures
  • DragnelusDragnelus Member EpicPosts: 3,503
    Archlyte said:
    2017 wasn't the year. Maybe this game will die in 2018 and from its ashes something great will be born. 
    Ouch

• someforumguysomeforumguy Member RarePosts: 4,088
    edited November 2017
    If SWTOR would die, there will be no Star Wars MMORPG the coming years.

EA has exclusive rights to create Star Wars related games until 2024. And from them you only get microtransaction/lootbox based multiplayer games. Which comes down to SW Battlefront 3 and 4.
    ArchlytePhrypsychosiz1bartoni33XarkoMrMelGibsongrimal
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,818
    Well the old SW was killed of to make way for this one, so I would not be surprised if that happened again.
    Gdemamipsychosiz1
  • klash2defklash2def Member EpicPosts: 1,949
    As long as SWTOR is making money they arent shutting it down anytime soon. They are still making a killing off the cc store. I know people personally who have spent 1000's in their cc store.

I'm just one person.  It seems to be a cycle now for them. cc store items until xpac, then more cc items until xpac, minor updates, cc items, cc items, cc items etc.. as long as its making cents..
    "Beliefs don't change facts. Facts, if you're reasonable, should change your beliefs."

"The Society that separates its scholars from its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting by fools."

Currently: Games Audio Engineer, you didn't hear what I heard, you heard what I wanted you to hear. 

• klash2defklash2def Member EpicPosts: 1,949
    edited November 2017
    Scot said:
    Well the old SW was killed of to make way for this one, so I would not be surprised if that happened again.
    The old SW MMO never made anything close to what SWTOR has. If it was as profitable it would still be here today.. remember bottom line isnt what users want (they dont give a damn) 

its how much money the investors and publishers are earning.. 
    GdemamiMrMelGibson
    "Beliefs don't change facts. Facts, if you're reasonable, should change your beliefs."

"The Society that separates its scholars from its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting by fools."

Currently: Games Audio Engineer, you didn't hear what I heard, you heard what I wanted you to hear. 

• gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919
    If people still enjoy playing it why should it die?

For anyone who has thought about trying SWTOR - the original story to level 50 say - but not gotten around to it now is probably the time. The mergers will hopefully provide a sense of other people being around. 

Kyleran[Deleted User]
  • gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919
    If they can run it at whatever they deem a reasonable profit EA will continue to support it (whilst they have the licence). 

This move will help that by reduce operating costs. Sounds like they have simply "switched off" a dozen or so servers consolidating operations on the east coast. So less costs. Also suggests that EA see at least 2 years of life left in the game - otherwise they would just turn them all off.

A new game ... its called SW BF. Much slicker, very polished, lots of SW feel and whilst it makes no claim to being an mmo it is multi-player with extras. 

Galaxies was closed because EA bought the rights to SW. So SoE no longer had them. Disney could make a new game today if they wanted - their agreement with EA is exclusive except for Disney - but I have come across no news of any other company looking to step in. Probably to early. 

Downstream will EA want to continue with the IP? That's a question for another day year. By all accounts though it was an expensive IP - hence the micro-transactions. Got to pay for the IP.
    Phry
  • GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855
    If SWTOR would die, there will be no Star Wars MMORPG the coming years.

EA has exclusive rights to create Star Wars related games until 2024. And from them you only get microtransaction/lootbox based multiplayer games. Which comes down to SW Battlefront 3 and 4.
    I enjoyed SWTOR. Until they did that Fallen Empire shit. That is NOT Star Wars. Hence,  there is no Star Wars game, only one that bears the name but bares little resemblance to the IP. 
    GdemamiMadFrenchiepsychosiz1MrMelGibson
  • GruntyGrunty Member EpicPosts: 8,657
    That would mean I'd have to log in again.  No thanks.
    waynejr2
    "I used to think the worst thing in life was to be all alone.  It's not.  The worst thing in life is to end up with people who make you feel all alone."  Robin Williams
  • ByrgenarHofenByrgenarHofen Member UncommonPosts: 55
    Scot said:
    SWG would have been closed down anyway, it was bleeding subs.

A lot of players left when they introduced the CU, even though they knew it was coming, they did not like it.
    Even more players left when the NGE hit, most of the servers became ghost towns.

Blaming the closure solely on SW:ToR is a bit over the top tbh.
    Phrywaynejr2bartoni33MaurgrimMrMelGibson
  • Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    edited November 2017
    klash2def said:
    Scot said:
    The old SW MMO never made anything close to what SWTOR has. If it was as profitable it would still be here today.. remember bottom line isnt what users want (they dont give a damn) 

its how much money the investors and publishers are earning.. 
    There are a lot more households with computers now then back then.  Nice of them to increase character slots.

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• NeblessNebless Member RarePosts: 1,835
    edited November 2017
    Well character slot's went up to 4 for the F2p types, and only 1 of my guys needs a name change so didn't really effect me at all (name change guy was really just a low level tester).

But I thought there was suppose to be some kind of hand out when the servers merged (in addition to the expansion play and swoop bike from before.

*Found it from a different post:  When United Forces goes live, we will be offering new rewards for reconnecting with friends and guildmates in Star Wars: The Old Republic. Log in and play between November 8 – November 27, 2017 to get new rewards*:
    • Simply log in to play to get the new Mini Mogul NM-1 Mini-Pet, inspired by one of our classic Operation bosses, Karagga the Unyielding.

Read more at http://forums.mmorpg.com/discussion/468590/swtor-server-merges#P0MSlqzMGp5MjtKd.99

It's live, but no pet.  They are running double XP though.
    Post edited by Nebless on

SWG (pre-cu) - AoC (pre-f2p) - PotBS (pre-boarder) - DDO - LotRO (pre-f2p) - STO (pre-f2p) - GnH (beta tester) - SWTOR - Neverwinter

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    They merged all the EU servers together, so rather hillariously i have 56 toons on one server, the only names i have to 'change' are the ones where i had used the same name on both Red Eclipse and The Progenitor. :)
  • kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,885
    edited November 2017
    What about the PvE servers and PvP servers how did they clump them all together ?

• waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769
    Grunty said:
    That would mean I'd have to log in again.  No thanks.

I am so over that game.  13 months of beta, lots of play on and off over the years.  Just tired of it and the changes they made to the game.
    http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• psychosiz1psychosiz1 Member UncommonPosts: 200
    Have been playing this game on and off over the years.  I enjoy it and have always found something that is fun for me.  This new server merge is a good thing  and it went smoothly minus the extended time.  There is double xp now so if you want make a new toon or play again, this would be a good time to do it
    [Deleted User]DragnelusOctagon7711
    kitarad said:
    What about the PvE servers and PvP servers how did they clump them all together ?
    I just noticed it today.

You can switch and turn pvp off and on and go to the pvp or pve instance

• XxxusernametakenxxxXxxusernametakenxxx Member UncommonPosts: 127
    Dragnelus said:
    kitarad said:
    I just noticed it today.

I could be wrong (I don't PvP) but that function has been around for a while now.  I can say yesterday I queued for three PvP matches , three master FP (event achievement) and got into an ops run with almost zero delay which was really nice.  
    immodium
  • DAOWAceDAOWAce Member UncommonPosts: 432
    edited November 2017
    Glad they bothered to send me any e-mail at all about this server merge.. only found out about it due to looking at the recent forum posts section on the front page.

Probably lost all of my names now, meaning I'll never go back to the game again.  Great, totally regret spending any money on it.

Shame, because with the move to the east coast, the game would be a lot more responsive now.. Surprised to see this, usually companies go AWOL and remove their east coast servers despite it being the highest population density in the US.  Kind of like what SE recently did with FFXIV, moved from east to west, when the servers were already lag ridden with their processing time.  Never re-subbed.

Feels like being a second rate citizen.
  • XxxusernametakenxxxXxxusernametakenxxx Member UncommonPosts: 127
    DAOWAce said:
    Glad they bothered to send me any e-mail at all about this server merge.. only found out about it due to looking at the recent forum posts section on the front page.

Probably lost all of my names now, meaning I'll never go back to the game again.  Great, totally regret spending any money on it.

Shame, because with the move to the east coast, the game would be a lot more responsive now.. Surprised to see this, usually companies go AWOL and remove their east coast servers despite it being the highest population density in the US.  Kind of like what SE recently did with FFXIV, moved from east to west, when the servers were already lag ridden with their processing time.  Never re-subbed.

Feels like being a second rate citizen.
    Hmm yeah it's been in the works for about six months not their fault you didn't pay attention to their forums, reddit, Facebook, or Twitter.  Chances are you would have missed the email too.

Hey why not login and see if your names are gone before you throw a fit?  Oh you wouldn't be able to throw a fit then I guess.  If you haven't been in the loop for over six months the chance this change would brought you back is pretty slim.  I also never understood people that think their character names in a video game are so important. I'm pretty sure Daowace is not taken. 
  • Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686
    Scot said:
    We should kill this one, and bring the old one back...

Maybe not..

Both games are so different they where barely competition for the other one.

Hope this game stays around, still need to finish some stories.

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

• Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686
    Dragnelus said:
    kitarad said:
    I just noticed it today.

this is a good thing...

IF EQ1 would have allowed Priest of discords to work both ways, this feature would have made it to all MMO´s
    Octagon7711

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

Must say, im lvling with my sisters. And its really fun doing dungeons, quests etc

And I found a way to get a sub for 4 euro so that makes it ever more fun.

• v_Vev_Ve Member UncommonPosts: 310
    I've returned as well and the game is really thriving. Population is up and ques are constantly popping. If you wanted to get back into the game, now is the time!

Witty & Wicked >:)