Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

A Great Message on MMORPGs

I bear no credit for this video. This may have been posted before, but is worth posting again.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jTHsll9LFZ4

Comments

• GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342
    ....because it is on youtube makes it worthy?

Stupid rant like any other.
  • BeansnBreadBeansnBread Member EpicPosts: 7,254
    What a terrible opinion piece. The "cash in" crowd was popular for a while, but until they can point to an MMORPG that is worthwhile, they are just complainers. Either that or actually attempt to design and develop an MMOPRG. The complainers obviously failed long ago. Unless they bring forward ideas, they are worthless.
  • SirAgravaineSirAgravaine Member RarePosts: 520
    edited November 2017
    Gdemami said:

Because I agree with him, that makes it worthy. In my mind there is nothing stupid about it, it is a well thought-out message.

I may be wrong, but I assume you didn't listen to the entire video?

What a terrible opinion piece. The "cash in" crowd was popular for a while, but until they can point to an MMORPG that is worthwhile, they are just complainers. Either that or actually attempt to design and develop an MMOPRG. The complainers obviously failed long ago. Unless they bring forward ideas, they are worthless.

Not really sure what you mean here? The "cash in" crowd is not very different from our current generation of successful MMORPGs: ESO, FFXIV, and SWTOR to name a few. Isn't that the purpose of this site? I didn't realize it was for anything else but complaining about MMORPGs. If I am mistaken about this, perhaps the mods should scrub the forums down to the 1% of remaining threads that do not feature complaining.
    GdemamiArchlyte
  • sayuusayuu Member RarePosts: 766
    Gdemami said:

Because I agree with him, that makes it worthy. In my mind there is nothing stupid about it, it is a well thought-out message.

not hard to agree with someone when that someone is yourself. . .

Yeah, I when I reread that, it was confusing and the way you interpreted it was actually almost opposite of what I tried to convey. 

The, "all MMORPG developers are just cashing in," crowd was popular for a while. There are some people that view the MMORPG scene this way today (like you). The issue I have with this analysis after looking back through the history of it isn't that there weren't a lot of games that mimicked WoW, it was that the people had no real answer to it. Because a lot of games did mimic WoW.

However, creating a game like EQ or UO would have bombed hard. The arguments are arguments of passion and not based in reality. There is no doubt that there is an audience for, say, a modernized EQ1 that used the old design with new graphics/animations/gameplay. But it's tiny these days.

The reason these old MMORPGs are not made any longer is because the audience for them is too small. It's not because of WoW. To blame WoW for people not liking the games you like is sophomoric at best.

[Deleted User]postlarvaljimmywolf
    edited November 2017
    sayuu said:
    Gdemami said:

I believe you meant to say, "not hard to agree with someone, when that someone agrees with you. . ."? That seems pretty obvious, doesn't it? Why would it be hard to agree with someone that shares your opinion or viewpoint? 

@BeansnBread I'm thinking you didn't finish the video either? Maybe I should have typed up a transcript? The narrator's argument is that the genre is stagnant because it has followed the same recipe over and over again, using slightly different ingredients here and there. What he is arguing is that developers should start focusing on how the game feels (tastes, for our food analogy), instead of the features (ingredients).
    Gdemami
    sayuu said:
    Gdemami said:

I believe you meant to say, "not hard to agree with someone, when that someone agrees with you. . ."? That seems pretty obvious, doesn't it? Why would it be hard to agree with someone that shares your opinion or viewpoint? 

@BeansnBread I'm thinking you didn't finish the video either? Maybe I should have typed up a transcript? The narrator's argument is that the genre is stagnant because it has followed the same recipe over and over again, using slightly different ingredients here and there. What he is arguing is that developers should start focusing on how the game feels (tastes, for our food analogy), instead of the features (ingredients).
    Until you tell me how a game should taste and feel, you are just complaining.
  • ArchlyteArchlyte Member RarePosts: 1,405
    It feels like Computer Role-Playing Games in the likeness of TTRPG have been abandoned as an experiment. The RPG folks went back to table top, the video game people got what they wanted so they are happy. If you were someone who wanted electronic versions of TTRPGs in a massive format you have been written off by the industry. 
    SirAgravaineSteelhelmlaxie
    MMORPG players are often like Hobbits: They don't like Adventures
  • GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342
    Because I agree with him, that makes it worthy. 
    Ah, confirmation bias. See, not worthy.
    Dakerucraftseeker
    sayuu said:
    Gdemami said:

no what I said is that you are the author of the video in question, and this thread is shameful self promotion. . .
    Phaserlightcraftseeker
    sayuu said:
    sayuu said:
    Gdemami said:

no what I said is that you are the author of the video in question, and this thread is shameful self promotion. . .
    If true...

sad.
  • delete5230delete5230 Member EpicPosts: 7,081
    This is an old video...... Anyway he is half right, everything is been done before.  However, what should continually keep the same ideas fresh is playing online with others.  Now their just solo games..... So now they suck. 
    GdemamiSteelhelm
    edited November 2017
    Gdemami said:
    Eh, I don't think you quite understand what confirmation bias is. This is just straight up bias.

@sayuu Every once in awhile I read a seemingly ignorant comment, and I give that person the benefit of the doubt (as I did with you). Beyond that, I'm not sure how else to appease you, as you seem to be trolling, maybe?

Also, just a random thought that is inconsequential to the discussion topic...but your comments gave me an interest into how long you have been frequenting this site. I tend to check everyone's "date" to see how long people have been around every once in awhile. I suppose I am just a lurker, because my color is still "green" (does that make me new or inexperienced)?  There aren't too many forum-goers that still frequent the site that have been lurking as long as I have. Maybe everyone forgot their old account info? Does that make me more responsible? Maybe no one liked this site, and frequented other sites? Who knows. *shug*

@delete5230 I saw that it was old, but still relevant (albeit perhaps already viewed by many people on this forum). I miss playing online with new people, I believe social media is part to blame for the novelty of online communication wearing off. Also, as there are still innovative games coming out and technology is still advancing, it is arguable that not everything has been done before.
    Gdemami
    edited November 2017
    Gdemami said:
    Eh, I don't think you quite understand what confirmation bias is. This is just straight up bias.

@sayuu Every once in awhile I read a seemingly ignorant comment, and I give that person the benefit of the doubt (as I did with you). Beyond that, I'm not sure how else to appease you, as you seem to be trolling, maybe?

Also, just a random thought that is inconsequential to the discussion topic...but your comments gave me an interest into how long you have been frequenting this site. I tend to check everyone's "date" to see how long people have been around every once in awhile. I suppose I am just a lurker, because my color is still "green" (does that make me new or inexperienced)?  There aren't too many forum-goers that still frequent the site that have been lurking as long as I have. Maybe everyone forgot their old account info? Does that make me more responsible? Maybe no one liked this site, and frequented other sites? Who knows. *shug*

I notice you didn't deny that you are the author of the video but rather tried to misdirect with an ad hominem and  some nonsense about who's been here longer or sum such. . .

. . .interesting.
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    sayuu said:
    Gdemami said:

Perhaps you should have summarized the salient points.  I hate to watch videos,  rarely will do so.

MMORPGs are the sum of their parts, moreso than other genres so yes the argument being made is valid.

Where I feel the genre really went off track was when it turned away from its one real advantage over others, providing the opportunity to interact with and affect (for both good and bad) other players.

laxiePhaserlightGdemamiMadFrenchie

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• DakeruDakeru Member EpicPosts: 3,802
    "Right now, all the MMOs out there, they suck!"
    Literally the first sentence and I stopped watching there.

Someone should teach you the difference between "a great message" and a shit piece of opinion.
    [Deleted User]ConstantineMerusanemojimmywolfMikeha
    Harbinger of Fools
  • ChicagoCubChicagoCub Member UncommonPosts: 381
    "You're so concerned with squabbling for the scraps from Longshanks's table that you've missed your God-given right to something better."
    SirAgravaine
    edited November 2017
    Dakeru said:

Someone should teach you the difference between "a great message" and a shit piece of opinion.
    The message was lost on you. I seem to understand a shit piece of opinion quite well ^
  • anemoanemo Member RarePosts: 1,903
    There is almost 8 minutes of ranting that you agree with...  and only have 18 words to share. I really feel like you're looking for people to disagree with,  since that's what it took for you to say anything of significance.

Practice doesn't make perfect, practice makes permanent.

"At one point technology meant making tech that could get to the moon, now it means making tech that could get you a taxi."

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    It is only a stupid rant if you are a mindless gamer willing to pay for the exact same build over and over with a different skin.
    If your standards are so low that nothing matters,then go ahead,keep supporting these rich developers.
    We al accepted the early games because we had limited tech,limited knowledge but there is NO excuse anymore,we are just seeing what happens when a TREND ,a precedent is set,then every developers copies it.
    Example ..Crowd Funding,most devs have jumped on this bandwagon,why not FREE money,tons of suckers out there willing to hand over free money.

Then the really sad games that THINK all i care about is some character sliders.In case THOSE devs have brain lock,i'll let them in on a secret,a slider does NOT a role playing game make.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• DakeruDakeru Member EpicPosts: 3,802
    Dakeru said:

The message was lost on you. I seem to understand a shit piece of opinion quite well ^
    Yeah you are right that is just my opinion.

The difference is I won't make a thread of it to label it "A Great Message" just to show an endless rant from 2015.
    Harbinger of Fools
  • ByrgenarHofenByrgenarHofen Member UncommonPosts: 55
    Video in the OP is just random internet muppets opinion, not a great message at all.

In my opinion, as another random internet muppet, some MMOs are better than others, some MMOs are worse than others, saying all MMOs out there suck, is bollocks.

As long as the people playing an MMO, any MMO, are having fun, then for those people, that MMO is GOOD, maybe even GREAT, you personally not liking that MMO, does not change that, and it certainly does not mean it sucks.
  • KnightFalzKnightFalz Member EpicPosts: 4,166
    edited November 2017
    Archlyte said:
    It feels like Computer Role-Playing Games in the likeness of TTRPG have been abandoned as an experiment. The RPG folks went back to table top, the video game people got what they wanted so they are happy. If you were someone who wanted electronic versions of TTRPGs in a massive format you have been written off by the industry. 
    The two are at odds with each other. One is organic, cooperative storytelling and the other either a rigid, mechanical progression under the guise of story, or a collection of mechanics for unguided interaction between players with the environment and each other.
  • immodiumimmodium Member RarePosts: 2,610
    The creator of the video wants to live in a virtual world.

Which, let's be fair if we judge every MMO on that basis they're all terrible as virtual worlds.

Blaming WoW for why MMO's suck today is nonsense. MMO's aren't even a genre.

It's like claiming all single player games suck because of Fallout 4.

MMO's can be anything. They don't have to be virtual worlds you'd want to live in.

Also, the variety of MMO's I can choose to play today is a lot better than the past.
    DakeruRexKushmanConstantineMerus[Deleted User]

• KnightFalzKnightFalz Member EpicPosts: 4,166

What he is arguing is that developers should start focusing on how the game feels (tastes, for our food analogy), instead of the features (ingredients).
    The potential problem with this approach is that people can feel quite differently about any given thing. As such, designing with the goal of producing a specific feel is risky.

Dakeru