Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[NCSOFT] 3rd quarter revenues

KabulozoKabulozo Member RarePosts: 932
The mobile revenues obliterated PC games on this quarter with Lineage M taking over.

- Mobile games: 551 billion KRW (Courtesy of Lineage M)
- Blade & Soul: 38 billion KRW
- Lineage 1: 35 billion KRW
- Guild Wars 2: 20 billion KRW
- Lineage 2: 15 billion KRW
- Aion: 10 billion KRW
- Royalty: 43 billion KRW

Comments

• AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    Poor poor Wildstar
  • HellidolHellidol Member UncommonPosts: 476
    wtf wildstar isnt on there at all

• KabulozoKabulozo Member RarePosts: 932
    edited November 2017
    Hellidol said:
    They dropped WS off the list a long time ago. Due to irrelevant sale numbers.
    Phry
  • GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855
    Hellidol said:
    Have you looked on the S**t list?
    ForgrimmTalonsin
  • PinoXPinoX Member UncommonPosts: 71
    Wait ... GW2 revenue only went up by slightly over 6.5 billion KRW on the quarter of the expansion release compared to previous quarter (q2'17)? that is kind of small?
  • IceAgeIceAge Member EpicPosts: 3,120
    PinoX said:
    Wait ... GW2 revenue only went up by slightly over 6.5 billion KRW on the quarter of the expansion release compared to previous quarter (q2'17)? that is kind of small?
    A bit of knowledge goes a long way:

Q3 = July, August , September  
    Guild Wars 2: Path of Fire - Release date = September 22, 2017

So basically , Q3 ended when GW2 launched their expansion. 

Q4 sales for GW2 will be at least this big , if not bigger . 
    psychosiz1

Reporter: What's behind Blizzard success, and how do you make your gamers happy?
    Blizzard Boss: Making gamers happy is not my concern, making money.. yes!

edited November 2017
    IceAge said:
    PinoX said:

I know the release date. If the cut off date of the quarter is the end of the month, the figure should have included slightly over 1 week post release date sales and all the preorder.  It's still kind of low.
    psychosiz1Thupli
  • AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    PinoX said:
    IceAge said:
    PinoX said:

I know the release date. If the cut off date of the quarter is the end of the month, the figure should have included slightly over 1 week post release date sales and all the preorder.  It's still kind of low.
    Well, as far as I'm aware, GW2 doesn't have any form of sub model so that might be something to take into account. When you have expansion releases with say FFXIV/WoW/or even ESO, the numbers may go up higher in that quarter by "a lot" because subs probably make up 25-33% of the figures. in Q4 you'll probably see a good deal larger revenue due to more time, extra skins, and the good old new loot boxes that people will complain about yet still buy.
    IceAgepsychosiz1
  • IceAgeIceAge Member EpicPosts: 3,120
    PinoX said:
    IceAge said:
    PinoX said:

An increase of 40% in revenue, without marketing, like it was with Heart of Thorns , it's very good. Many have .. hold up until reviews dropped , so they see if its worth buying the expansion or not. And PoF expansion has very good reviews, so word of mouth is working with PoE, hence , box sales will be coming in Q4 as well, which we will see at least the same $ numbers as Q3. 

On the topic , I am very happy to see that the mobile department is bringing lots of cash to NcSoft , because last .. 2 years they had very weak sale numbers. Now , I hope they put good resources into the next Lineage game , because we really need a real AAA MMO. 

Reporter: What's behind Blizzard success, and how do you make your gamers happy?
    Blizzard Boss: Making gamers happy is not my concern, making money.. yes!

edited November 2017
    Wildstar at least had 15 minutes of fame when it appeared in this report. MXM is the complete utter fail of a game NC ever have put out yet.

It's been released a quite some time ago and nobody cares, and didn't show up in revenues. It failed to attract a playerbase because as I said, it tries to be everything at the same time and please everybody: from pve dungeon crawlers to MOBA-ish pvp but being shallow in any of these facets.

Maybe it is a good idea to make a MxM mobile port asap because as a mixed bag it is offereing a little of everything it can do well among mobile players.
  • AAAMEOWAAAMEOW Member RarePosts: 1,605
    I presume MXM is made by korean developer.  It's not like people in North America play korean games.

Wildstar is probably a much more failure.  NCSoft probably recoup the money from MXM but can't say the same about Wildstar.
    AAAMEOW said:
    I presume MXM is made by korean developer.  It's not like people in North America play korean games.

Wildstar is probably a much more failure.  NCSoft probably recoup the money from MXM but can't say the same about Wildstar.
    NC wanted to attract western MOBA players, many of them play LoL which is a Korean game.
  • Tiamat64Tiamat64 Member RarePosts: 1,545
    edited November 2017
    MXM is made by Korean developers yet oddly enough doesn't have a Korean release yet.

Very odd, although maybe they knew it'd do so bad or something.

It really is way too shallow on the progression systems, and possibly everything else but I didn't bother to look into the rest and stopped playing it when I realized that as a PvE dungeon crawler, it was basically just a shoot-em up with a grind but no development progression.  ....somehow.  Like, seriously, wtf.
    That is weird because MXM is released to the chinees.  No idea why the korean don't have it yet.
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,952
    edited November 2017
    Gaming as evolved, not dumbed down or got easymode, nothing like that. It has gone from kids playing consoles to a mainstream adult audience. And its big bucks now, which means top quality graphics and top quality gameplay. Welcome to the future:

• ShaighShaigh Member EpicPosts: 2,142
    No wonder why they made B&S 2 for mobile instead of PC.
    Iselin: And the next person who says "but it's a business, they need to make money" can just go fuck yourself.
  • ConstantineMerusConstantineMerus Member EpicPosts: 3,338
    Scot said:
    Gaming as evolved, not dumbed down or got easymode, nothing like that. It has gone from kids playing consoles to a mainstream adult audience. And its big bucks now, which means top quality graphics and top quality gameplay. Welcome to the future:

This is not the future, this is just the evolved version of the past. These types of games were the pioneers of gaming. This isn't really our problem. No one has ever tossed out their monster PC or console to play on mobile instead. This has its own market, its own developers, and its own audience. I'm not a part of it, but that doesn't mean there's something wrong with it. 
    Tuor7
    Constantine, The Console Poster

• "One of the most difficult tasks men can perform, however much others may despise it, is the invention of good games and it cannot be done by men out of touch with their instinctive selves." - Carl Jung
    I thought candy crush is a popular game.  I don't play it, but some people around me do.  They seemed to enjoy it.  Not sure why bash it.
  • kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,910
    Why does the bar on Blade and Soul look shorter than the GW2 one when GW2 is 20,145 versus  38,046 of Blade and Soul

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,952
    edited November 2017
    Scot said:

This is not the future, this is just the evolved version of the past. These types of games were the pioneers of gaming. This isn't really our problem. No one has ever tossed out their monster PC or console to play on mobile instead. This has its own market, its own developers, and its own audience. I'm not a part of it, but that doesn't mean there's something wrong with it. 

Mobile gaming is part of gaming, it is just a different platform. You might as well say PC and consoles are not part of the same market. All gaming platforms effect one another and while the PC is more effected by what happens on consoles rather than smartphones they are all part of the same market.

Notice that NCsoft, one company, is producing the MMOs and the mobile games. Do you think no one sitting on the board of directors has noticed how little the revenue return was for the MMOs considering how much more was invested into them? That is perhaps the main reason AAA MMOs have all but died, it is too risky when they can just produce another mobile game for pennies by comparison. I think the MMOs shown are now more important to them as brand recognition than as revenue streams.

Yes, these types of games were the pioneers of gaming, that's why this is devolution. What are most people now playing in the world? Games we had when we were children.
    CogohiNilden
    edited November 2017
    Scot said:
    Scot said:

Mobile gaming is part of gaming, it is just a different platform. You might as well say PC and consoles are not part of the same market. All gaming platforms effect one another and while the PC is more effected by what happens on consoles rather than smartphones they are all part of the same market.

Notice that NCsoft, one company, is producing the MMOs and the mobile games. Do you think no one sitting on the board of directors has noticed how little the revenue return was for the MMOs considering how much more was invested into them? That is perhaps the main reason AAA MMOs have all but died, it is too risky when they can just produce another mobile game for pennies by comparison. I think the MMOs shown are now more important to them as brand recognition than as revenue streams.

Yes, these types of games were the pioneers of gaming, that's why this is devolution. What are most people now playing in the world? Games we had when we were children.

Lineage M is similar to the PC version (Lineage 1) except for the totaly reworked interface for mobile. It made lots of korean L1 plyers stop playing the PC version and go to the mobile version.

So you can't really compare Lineage M which is basicly the Pc version adapted for mobile to Candy Crush.
    Post edited by Kabulozo on
  • QSatuQSatu Member UncommonPosts: 1,796
    Sales of GW2:PoF are only half of Hot sales when it released. I guess people learned and didn't bother to come back. And I bet mosty of the sames the expansion will get were from preorders and those were counted in this quarter.
    Phry
    kitarad said:
    Why does the bar on Blade and Soul look shorter than the GW2 one when GW2 is 20,145 versus  38,046 of Blade and Soul
    I think the graph normalized the highest fiscal year.  The graph is meant to show trend, not comparison between the game.  
    Scot said:

You simply can't expect game studios to pump out mmorpg.  There isn't that big of market for it, besides it is too expensive.

The korean company are still pumping out mmorpg, I think there is an advertisement/article on NCSoft upcoming MMO on the front page.

The western company you see them just give up.  The big names blizzard, CCP stop making mmorpg instead make card game, moba, shooter or whatever.
    Mikeha
    Torval said:
    QSatu said:
    Sales of GW2:PoF are only half of Hot sales when it released. I guess people learned and didn't bother to come back. And I bet mosty of the sames the expansion will get were from preorders and those were counted in this quarter.

There shouldn't be anything in this report for PoF except possibly a little pre-ordering. Most of that will be in next quarter's report.
    There is also the possibility the low figures being caused buy most pre-orders were standard package. I highly doubt the pre-order volume was really low. The thing is most pre-orders would have consisted active players who probably have accumulated significant amount of wealth in game. Hence, the more expensive packages with gems were likely irrelevant for them.

Well, everything is pretty much speculation. We can only truly tell on next quarter report.
    I'm guessing the gemstore sales is doing well amid the mount rng contraversy, gw2spidy exchange chart actually spiking up n then starting to decay slowly.
    So expect good numbers in this quarter, unless they retract everything and offer full refund (highly unlikely).