Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ten Years of Mass Effect - Mass Effect: Andromeda Videos - MMORPG.com

2»

Comments

• sayuusayuu Member RarePosts: 766
    If I could turn back time, to the good ole days. . .
    SBFord
  • MrMelGibsonMrMelGibson Member EpicPosts: 3,033

This is one of my favorite moments in the series

A far cry from Ryder who just took whatever was thrown his/her way.

To be fair though. Shepard was already a battle harden Vet prior to the start of ME1. He was a special ops soldier. Ryder was green. Had great training, but wasn't N7. When I was in the military, we called guys like Ryder FNGs lol.
    SBFord
  • PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Mass Effect has long been one of my favourite series of games, i have literally lost count of how many times i have played ME:1 and i have completed ME:2 more than just a few times also, but while ME:3 was a disappointment, mostly due to the day 1 dlc and how the game ended, i've yet to finish that game in a way that i feel satisfied with the results honestly, though i will likely give it another few more play throughs even so. But ME:A, not a chance, i even have Origin Access, so i can play the game anytime i want without paying another penny as its one of the freely available 'vault' games available to members, the game was so disapointing though, that i literally have no interest in inflicting that level of 'pain' on myself, i truly hope that one day we do get another ME game and that they learn from all the mistakes that were made in ME:A, whether it be the animations or the writing, mostly i just hope that they never ever make a game that is so badly 'written' as the Storylines were, or at least used to be, one of the strongest parts of the ME series, with Andromeda this wasn't the case as the Storyline was weak, poorly written and suffered from 'influences' that are best left out of games altogether, though the game tried to make up for it with the combat gameplay, but i think that one of the reasons ME:A failed as hard as it did, was that the combat in of itself was not enough to 'rescue' the game, and coupled with the games 'art' and the odd choices that were made, with 'pretty boys' and 'ugly' girls it was almost as if the game developer hated heterosexual males and was trying to punish them for some reason, which considering that was also the main demographic that the game was ostensibly aimed at was perhaps one of the worst choices they could have ever made and also goes a long way to explain why the game failed.
    However, now that yet another lead developer has abandoned Bioware, really have to wonder whether the studio will ever create a decent game ever again, let alone whether or not Anthem is going to suffer the same fate as Andromeda, but after the last few games Bioware has turned out, i doubt anyone would be particularly surprised if Bioware went the same way as Westwood etc. it is after all an EA kind of thing. :/
    Gobstopper3D
  • AnthurAnthur Member UncommonPosts: 961
    I at least enjoyed the ME series and am a little sad that they are just letting it die instead of taking up the Andromeda critics and try to make a come back.
    Instead they are creating another Destiny clone with Anthem. Do we really need another mindless shooter where we blow up bullet sponges nonstop ? I am quite sure it will not create the same memories ME did. :(
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,823
    As always, I waited for the reviews. So did not buy the last ME, use common sense not hype to inform your purchasing decisions.

But we have been here before, the DA series anyone? One game can get a bit of a tanning, but that does not mean the next will not be great. The problem is that so much depends on IP recognition in current gaming that one episode of the franchise that is not a blow away success makes a company question the entire series.

Brand name is only this important because we buy before the reviews, so back to what I said at the start. For you and for gaming, it would be better to wait for those reviews.

As for diversity issues, if it had been a rip roaring success would that have been mentioned? But I agree that a great game does not to be a paragon of social virtue, first and foremost it needs to be a great game.
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Phry said:
    ... with 'pretty boys' and 'ugly' girls...
    So you found the boys pretty and the girls ugly? Weird, but to each his own.

I didn't find that but then, I'm a well-adjusted hetero male :)

Games with lolis? Now THAT's weird.
    MrMelGibson
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

Iselin said:
    Phry said:

Should have gone to specsavers :p

Its a problem that Bioware seem to have developed in recent years, where they hit the women with an ugly stick, sometimes a few too many times.
    If you go back to Dragon Age:Inquisition that seems to be where things started getting bad, the point being, if you were a 'well adjusted hetero male' then realistically you wouldn't want to form a relationship with any of the games characters, in ME:A it just got worse really, none of the female characters were likeable which was in sharp contrast to the previous games in both series, it was the same with the games storylines the inexplicable deterioration of the quality of the writing was also very noticeable, whether this was because there was a lack of creative talent or because of 'other' agenda's i don't know but it was noticeably missing which was a huge problem.
    If there is one thing that is particularly well documented though is that for reasons best known to themselves, Bioware chose to depict women in a less than flattering way. :/
    Roin
    Phry said:
    Iselin said:
    Phry said:

Its a problem that Bioware seem to have developed in recent years, where they hit the women with an ugly stick, sometimes a few too many times.
    If you go back to Dragon Age:Inquisition that seems to be where things started getting bad, the point being, if you were a 'well adjusted hetero male' then realistically you wouldn't want to form a relationship with any of the games characters, in ME:A it just got worse really, none of the female characters were likeable which was in sharp contrast to the previous games in both series, it was the same with the games storylines the inexplicable deterioration of the quality of the writing was also very noticeable, whether this was because there was a lack of creative talent or because of 'other' agenda's i don't know but it was noticeably missing which was a huge problem.
    If there is one thing that is particularly well documented though is that for reasons best known to themselves, Bioware chose to depict women in a less than flattering way. :/
    You're seeing what you want to see... without playing it. Or did you eventually play it?

Just curious to know if we're talking about the same thing. I'm talking about having played the game several times... are you just talking about watching YT channels or reddit threads with an agenda?

And...

1. Relationships with game characters (lol) is cute and all and I'm sure it has appeal for pre-pubescent males of any age... it means sweet fuck all to me in the grand schem of things.
    2, When I let the pre-pubescent male inside of me have a go at it, just like James T Kirk, I lean toward the blue humanoid aliens... I found one of those in MEA that suited me just fine.
    MrMelGibson
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

Iselin said:
    Phry said:
    Iselin said:
    Phry said:

You're seeing what you want to see... without playing it. Or did you eventually play it?

Just curious to know if we're talking about the same thing. I'm talking about having played the game several times... are you just talking about watching YT channels or reddit threads with an agenda?

And...

1. Relationships with game characters (lol) is cute and all and I'm sure it has appeal for pre-pubescent males of any age... it means sweet fuck all to me in the grand schem of things.
    2, When I let the pre-pubescent male inside of me have a go at it, just like James T Kirk, I lean toward the blue humanoid aliens... I found one of those in MEA that suited me just fine.
    If you are trying to suggest that watching a Lets Play youtube video is not representative of actual gameplay in some way, then all i can say is its 2017 and you need to catch up, you may not like youtubers much but they often catch bullets for us, though its not like i can't pay ME:A anytime i want as its a 'vault giveaway' game that costs nothing to play, though, have to say if you think youtubers have some kind of agenda against EA/Bioware, then its time to start investing in tinfoil hats.
    As for point 1, er, hello have you played ME games at all? or Dragon Age games for that matter? its all about the storylines and the relationships between the main character (your own) and the support characters, in case you missed that part maybe you haven't played either ME:1 or ME:2. Never mind any of the Dragon Age games.
    Point 2 is the kind of ridiculous argument i would expect from someone who just doesn't have any respect for RPG gamers at all, no doubt you find RP'ers totally ridiculous too, well fine, you don't like that kind of gameplay.

And the initial point you made, about seeing what i want to see, instead isn't the problem here that i saw things i didn't want to see, that in fact if i had seen what i wanted to see then the game would likely not have been such an epic failure of a game. :/
    Roin
    Phry said:
    Iselin said:
    Phry said:
    Iselin said:
    Phry said:

And...

If you are trying to suggest that watching a Lets Play youtube video is not representative of actual gameplay in some way, then all i can say is its 2017 and you need to catch up, you may not like youtubers much but they often catch bullets for us, though its not like i can't pay ME:A anytime i want as its a 'vault giveaway' game that costs nothing to play, though, have to say if you think youtubers have some kind of agenda against EA/Bioware, then its time to start investing in tinfoil hats.
    As for point 1, er, hello have you played ME games at all? or Dragon Age games for that matter? its all about the storylines and the relationships between the main character (your own) and the support characters, in case you missed that part maybe you haven't played either ME:1 or ME:2. Never mind any of the Dragon Age games.
    Point 2 is the kind of ridiculous argument i would expect from someone who just doesn't have any respect for RPG gamers at all, no doubt you find RP'ers totally ridiculous too, well fine, you don't like that kind of gameplay.

And the initial point you made, about seeing what i want to see, instead isn't the problem here that i saw things i didn't want to see, that in fact if i had seen what i wanted to see then the game would likely not have been such an epic failure of a game. :/
    Yeah I watch YT videos enough to know you can't beat first hand experience. Maybe it's all the same to you and Wizardry... got news for you, it ain't.

Of course DA and ME have relationships as part of the story but that's not the game. The game is combat. Everything else is just the background story to give the combat purpose.

I could easily do with companion friends with their own stories and quests an no romance. That is certainly not why I play them. If that is really important to you well, my condolences :) 

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

• Leon1eLeon1e Member UncommonPosts: 791
    edited November 2017
    This scene made me forever a fan of Mass Effect The music, the scenery, the mood, it's just a masterpiece...
    PhryMrMelGibson
    Iselin said:
    Phry said:
    Iselin said:
    Phry said:
    Iselin said:
    Phry said:

And...

Yeah I watch YT videos enough to know you can't beat first hand experience. Maybe it's all the same to you and Wizardry... got news for you, it ain't.

Of course DA and ME have relationships as part of the story but that's not the game. The game is combat. Everything else is just the background story to give the combat purpose.

I could easily do with companion friends with their own stories and quests an no romance. That is certainly not why I play them. If that is really important to you well, my condolences :) 
    I think this pretty much demonstrates how different we see Mass Effect as a series. I see it as a Story you see it as just another shoot em up. For me the combat was just a small part of the game, i suspect in that i am not alone because if there was something that ME:A did reasonably well, it was the combat, and yet the game failed probably because that in itself was not enough.
    You might not rate the storylines as being important, or the character interractions with the support characters as being of no consequence, instead those are things that i think made ME:1 and ME:2 iconic, it made Dragon Age:Origins an amazingly good game, even Dragon Age 2 despite its over use of the same assets, the storyline itself was pretty good and the ending, explosively, set the stage for DA:I, though what changed between DA:2 and DA:I is most likely the reason for ME:A being such a failure of a game, because something definitley changed at bioware between those two games, and whatever it was, was the beginning of the death spiral for Bioware. :/
    edited November 2017
    Phry said:
    Iselin said:
    Phry said:
    Iselin said:
    Phry said:
    Iselin said:
    Phry said:

And...

I think this pretty much demonstrates how different we see Mass Effect as a series. I see it as a Story you see it as just another shoot em up. For me the combat was just a small part of the game, i suspect in that i am not alone because if there was something that ME:A did reasonably well, it was the combat, and yet the game failed probably because that in itself was not enough.
    You might not rate the storylines as being important, or the character interractions with the support characters as being of no consequence, instead those are things that i think made ME:1 and ME:2 iconic, it made Dragon Age:Origins an amazingly good game, even Dragon Age 2 despite its over use of the same assets, the storyline itself was pretty good and the ending, explosively, set the stage for DA:I, though what changed between DA:2 and DA:I is most likely the reason for ME:A being such a failure of a game, because something definitley changed at bioware between those two games, and whatever it was, was the beginning of the death spiral for Bioware. :/
    Lol. But you were talking about romance and the sex appeal (or lack thereof) in MEA. Stories can exist without romance too you know.

But yes, RPGs to me are first and foremost about the fighting. The story part just makes it mean more. DAI was actually my favorite DA because the fighting was better and the world vastly more open compared to the previous ones.

I like a good story same as the next guy. I read A LOT and that is obviously just for the story. I read mysteries, detective fiction, a lot of SciFi and fantasy. But I have never once been tempted to buy a Harlequin Romance :)
    MrMelGibson

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

Phry said:
    Iselin said:
    Phry said:
    Iselin said:
    Phry said:
    Iselin said:
    Phry said:

And...

While I respect your opinion and you're entitled to it.  I feel it holds very little weight.  If you've never played the game.  A game that easily goes for 60-100 hours.  It's hard to imagine you sat at your computer and watched even 5+ hours of the game.  I'll give you this, you might of watched an hour or so.  So basically you experienced about 2% of the game. 

It's ok to say you don't like it, or don't want to play it.  But if you're going to try to dissect the whole game and slam it at every turn.  Yet have again zero experience with the actual game.  I can't take your opinion serious at all.  I can't imagine I'm alone here.

SBFord said:
    Awesome videos and memories, folks. Thanks <3
    Damn you @SBFord lol.  Now I had to reinstall the whole trilogy and start fresh in ME1.  Couldn't stop thinking about it lol.  In all seriousness,  thanks.  I needed an excuse to stop the reapers once again.