Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What was wrong with EQ2.

GeekyGeeky Member UncommonPosts: 446
I know it had some bugs but none that ever really stopped me.  It may have had balance issues, I wouldn't know because I never cared that much.  I knew they'd be worked out....if it was even something I noticed.

So what was wrong with EQ2 when it launched that made people loath it?  I played it solidly for 5 years with a couple more years broken up by a few hiateses but I never understood why people hated the game?  

Am I just an undiagnosed simpleton that enjoyed what I thought was an enjoyable, well done, casual friendly game?
SeirothcraftseekerHluill

Comments

• ElsaboltsElsabolts Member RarePosts: 3,476
    DBG ended up with it, all that needs to be said. You are correct it was a good game.
    " Life Liberty and the Pursuit of Those Who  Would Threaten It "
                                            MAGA
  • DauzqulDauzqul Member RarePosts: 1,982
    EQ2 was one of my favorite games. However, I never played EQ1. I'm sure most of the hate came from people who just wanted a re-skinned version of EQ1.
    MikehaAlBQuirkyGorwe
  • acidbloodacidblood Member RarePosts: 878
    Didn't play EQ1, and only picked it up after getting burnt out on WoW (and a friend wanted to play it), so I'm not sure about hate, but the ugly textures, poor performance, and just general lack of polish (everything felt a bit clunky) were a big turn off for me. The world was fun to explore though.
    LucienRene
  • SeirothSeiroth Member UncommonPosts: 29
    edited November 2017
    First and foremost I'm an EQ2 fan, though I've played my fare share of WoW and other MMOs too. My favorite MMO of all time is EQ1 followed by EQ2 then Vanguard and Ultima Online.

I think alot of players who initially went to EQ2 were EQ1 players and EQ2 was a completely different game than EQ1. I think the problem was SOE was competing with Blizzard and WoW had a HUGE player base of warcraft fans. Much bigger audience than EQ1 player base (those of course willing to give up EQ1 which was still running strong at the time). So #1 there was a big difference in the starting fan base WoW just had a ton of warcraft fans which fed blizzard a crap load of money, then #2 EQ2 needed a top of the line computer to run where WoW could run on a decent laptop at the time. #3, WoW had a huge world with a ton of really cool environments. EQ2 lacked diversity and world didn't seen as large, especially with it being divided up into all these smaller zone sized islands rather than two massive continents. #4 WoW was easier for a new MMO player to get into, #5 WoW had classes that all felt very unique and played very differently from each other. Different skills on different cool downs... Blizzard got the combat dynamic of the classes down pretty good.

Oh, another thing, EQ2 I 'believe' had more bugs as well and had that strange linked encounter mechanic that I don't think the majority of players enjoyed. Also the weird challenge ranking system with those weird unit frames. WoW had it much better. Simple regular and epic mobs. Thats it. EQ2 had regular, undercon, medium, hard, very hard, epic. They eventually made it easier with an arrow system but the system was still convoluted.

I absolutely adored EQ2 for a solid 4 years. I only disliked it when it started to try and be more like WoW and give up the qualities that made EQ2 special to me. I never played WoW until burning crusade came out and even then I played it off and on without ever falling in love with it the way I fell in love with EQ2. I had a good computer and was an EQ1 player so I had more attachment to the Norrath lore than I did blizzard lore. Again, this is where myself and all other EQ2 players were in the minority. I think its safe to say there were a lot more people who both knew and were in love with the blizzard warcraft lore.

EQ2 could have won people over in the longer span of the MMO's history if it wasn't for the issue that it never ran well on regular PCs that most people had and by the time a 'regular PC' could run it the game was so dated that it's graphics style made it look really aged, where WoW still looks great today. Thats a big factor too. Its a very critical difference. Blizzard went with an artistic approach sacrificing 'realistic' and that was a winning move cuz I STILL love to check out the new zones that come out for WoW even though I've stopped enjoying the game since end of Lich King era. Its just a beautiful looking game even if I still don't like the cartoony sprites. I love the environments. EQ2 was much more social than WoW and it had alot of other things going for it I would need 10 pages to mention but people judge a game rather quickly and I don't think most got deep enough into EQ2 to see how great it was.

~Seiroth
    MaurgrimHluill
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    I was there during the transition of both EQ1>EQ2 and when Wow released.

I saw the chat and imo was unwarranted jealousy and anger of a new game taking players away from EQ1.Wow had nothing to do with it,i didn't even know of Wow until the last day b4 release and never cared at all about Blizzard so basically Wow was never on the radar.

To answer the question...NOTHING,it was easily the better version of Wow except with more bugs.Sorry but i am not playing a crappier game just because it has less bugs,so i easily tried both and went with EQ2 and never thought twice about trying Wow again.

It is like right now,why play a lesser game of HOTS when they have LOL and i wil be going to MTG arena and forgetting Hearthstone because imo Blizzard makes inferior  copy cat games.

Geesh i still remember back in the day,i had way more fun playing Runes of Magic,another Wow clone but it was done better,offered more types of content,had guild wars and all the same stuff as Wow,so even an Indie dev did it better.

Back to the question,EQ2 was the best Themepark design and still worth playing.If i had to choose,my choice would be Eq2 or FFXIV but i detest the item level gaming,so likely EQ2 over all.
    Hluill

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• SeirothSeiroth Member UncommonPosts: 29
    Wizardry said:
    I was there during the transition of both EQ1>EQ2 and when Wow released.

To answer the question...NOTHING,it was easily the better version of Wow except with more bugs.Sorry but i am not playing a crappier game just because it has less bugs,so i easily tried both and went with EQ2 and never thought twice about trying Wow again.

It is like right now,why play a lesser game of HOTS when they have LOL and i wil be going to MTG arena and forgetting Hearthstone because imo Blizzard makes inferior  copy cat games.
    I think you're over simplifying a bit by just saying EQ2 was better than WoW. WoW did have flying, unique racial mounts, a huge interesting world to explore, cool classes and races (a lot of people thought undead, tauren, orcs were awesome) - even though I was a much bigger fan of frogloks, ratonga, ogres, trolls and iksar myself. I guess I have to say they were different games and since they were different some people may have preferred one over the other based on nothing but personal taste. I'd love to say EQ2 was altogether just the better game but WoW did have a few things going for it.

I feel the same about HOTS and LOL as well as MTG and Hearthstone but wizards of the coast has made such horrible versions of their digital side to their card game that I have to admit I've been playing Hearthstone over "magic online". It looks like arena is the game Magic Online should have always been and I can't freaken wait to never play hearthstone again. I'm just a little freaked out right now that I haven't seen flavor text shown in arena and I want flavor text on the cards so bad. Its one of the things with the physical card game I really love.
  • laxielaxie Member RarePosts: 1,118
    The zones were fairly small on release. Compared to WoW, the initial release of EQ2 had a much more compact feel. I know several people who were put off by that.

WoW was also a more streamlined experience. Blizzard is very good at taking a core feature set and iterating over it. In contrast, EQ2 had a lot more systems. For people new to the genre (which most people were - remember, MMOs were very niche before WoW), having fewer options and a more polished base experience is likely more appealing.

I think WoW had a big advantage of accessing the mainstream fanbase through the Blizzard brand. When WoW released, many of my friends in central Europe bought it on launch day. In contrast, I don't know anyone from my circle of friends who bought EQ2 on launch (the fanbase was non-existent in central Europe).

EQ2 was the superior experience for me. I had played Ultima Online and Star Wars Galaxies extensively, so by the time I picked up EQ2, I wanted deep and complex systems. I also hadn't known Warcraft too well, so the storyline of Everquest seemed more interesting to me personally. Looking at most of my friends though, their situation was the exact opposite. They were either completely new to MMOs, or with very little MMO experience. A good amount of people were also Warcraft 2 fans. And the very large majority knew nothing about SOE - which in retrospect, is a big factor in me hearing about Everquest 2 in the first place (I was already a customer through SWG).
    Hluill
  • VyntVynt Member UncommonPosts: 757
    I remember being ticked off about gates of discord expansion earlier that year for EQ1, so I didn't really want anything to do with Everquest. Also felt it was a bit early for a new EQ game. 

The optimization kind of sucked too. I waited a bit and played it later and enjoyed it. I think it was a couple years after release when I really started playing during a break from WoW. It had to be around the time BC came out which killed our Guild because of the raids being cut in half. 

There was a lot of stuff I liked better than in WoW, like the amount of races and classes, the AAs (1 of my favorite additions to MMOs), the housing! In WoW I liked the movement, response, combat, the near seamless world. I would have loved to combine the 2 games.

Also EQ2 is one of the few games I played a beast race. I loved my Ratonga swashbuckler (betrayed over from brigand). I also really liked my house in Neriak.
    Hluill
  • gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919
    What went wrong? Assumes something did go wrong of course but lets assume there was:

1. SoE decided to charge a sub for EQ1 and a sub for EQ2. They had the option of one sub for both games.

2. There was no "link" offered between EQ1 and EQ2. Ideas were thrown around e..g. "stasis pods" in EQ1 into which a character could get or some powerful artifacts could be placed to emerge into the reborn world of EQ2. So the only option EQ1 folk had - some of whom had played years - was to start afresh in EQ2. 

3. WoW. Two impacts. First without WoW EQ2 might have attracted new players; there were huge WoW promotional boards in e.g. Fry's (in the US) but EQ2 promotions .... well I didn't see many. Second - reportedly - SoE rushed to get it out before WoW. Maybe this led to some bugs. I don't recall bugs being that big an issue though.

4. It very quickly - deserved or otherwise - got a reputation of needing a "powerful PC". See points 1 and 2. If SoE had treated it like an expansion EQ1 players - in time - could have transitioned.
    Hluill
  • rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    edited November 2017
    I don't think i've seen anything polished come out of that engine... ever, so i'm pretty sure that's what's wrong with EQ2.

Feel free to add all the valid bullet points from the posters above.

I never played EQ1, but EQ2 felt like it's possibly among the biggest wasted potentials in the mmo industry. A good game drowned in flawed technology, i guess.

My opinion. :|

• GeekyGeeky Member UncommonPosts: 446
    I played it from release and on a not top of the line computer.  I just always remember it had plenty of depth and good gameplay that, for me, played very little EQ (more UO) but the transition to EQ2 was easy.

Just never understood.  It was a good game, at least I always thought, that had a lot of depth.  So was it just the first 3 months that set the course of it's life.
  • HoopdyDooHoopdyDoo Member UncommonPosts: 22
    I loved EQ2.  

Played it through The Shadow Odyssey.
  • TalonsinTalonsin Member EpicPosts: 3,619
    I tried it at launch but it was buggy as all heck and the animations looked horrible.  I'm sure things got fixed but I just never went back.  Way too many good games out there to play.
    "Sean (Murray) saying MP will be in the game is not remotely close to evidence that at the point of purchase people thought there was MP in the game."  - SEANMCAD

• prizm1234prizm1234 Member UncommonPosts: 109
    3 things basically made it DOA- it had really high system requirements to take advantage of the visuals and WoW came out right around the same time, and there were certain portions of EQ1 population who were so turned off by how EQ1 was always released with bad expansions around that time.... that was when Gates of Discord and Omens of War were released and people HATED them because they felt rushed, incomplete, and worst of all buggy as hell. SOE never recovered from that and the rest is history. They fixed a lot of the initial problems with EQ2 and I liked the crafting in that game and it still has my favorite housing of any game still

• MightyUncleanMightyUnclean Member EpicPosts: 3,531
    My major problem with EQ2 is that I've always found it laggy.  Or bad FPS.  Or something.  Hitchy.  I tried it at release on a decent PC, and it didn't run for shit.  I tried it a couple of years ago on a decent PC, and it STILL didn't run for shit.
    Mendelwaynejr2
  • VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,888
    There was nothing wrong with EQ2 and most people don't loath it.

But neither was it good enough game to be liked. It was average and uninspired.

• ArChWindArChWind Member UncommonPosts: 1,340
    I played up to last year. The game is fine. I stopped playing due to lack of interest more than anything. I may pick it back up. 
    ArChWind — MMORPG.com Forums

If you are interested in making a MMO maybe visit my page to get a free open source engine.
  • LackingMMOLackingMMO Member RarePosts: 664
    Yeah EQ2 was spectacular in some regards and very mediocre in others. It really struggled with finding where it was heading or what it wanted to do. Some of my favorite dungeons/raid zones were in that game.
    Geeky
  • MalathoosMalathoos Member UncommonPosts: 199
    how on earth has no one mentioned computer specs? this game ran rough on top of the line computers when it came out. nothing could handle the huge load it had. Also, the bugs were a huge issue.

I love the game it is still in my cycle of games it is awesome questing and character building/ housing. It had to come a very long way though. Didn't this game have the first character housing of its type? 

• AkulasAkulas Member RarePosts: 3,006
    When it came out hardly any computer would run it and then by the time computers could run it the graphics looked old. It was an otherwise quite a good game despite the crappy engine and crappy models and crappy animations etc. I remember it having a more mature and "normal" kind of community.

This isn't a signature, you just think it is.

• GeekyGeeky Member UncommonPosts: 446
    DMKano said:
    It's worth noting that I only played EQ2 at launch - what happend after the first month and all the years later - I'll never know as I never went back.
    I was never that much into EQ1.  I played years of DAoC before EQ2 came out.  So moving from DAoC to EQ2 was smooth and it was just what I was looking for at the time.  You may have missed a good game and, lore wise, a good follow-up to the stories of EQ1.

As for those that say Specs were the issue, I can't help but think this is just an excuse to say thats why you, or heard of people not wanting to try the game.  I lived in Guantanamo Bay at the time and in GTMO we were still using dial-up internet, I also had an average, at best, PC and never had much issues with the game.  So idk..
    Hluill
  • 7thRankedNoob7thRankedNoob Member UncommonPosts: 13
    I'm surprised at the % of comments not bringing up it's requirements more. Even with a beast of the day, EQ2 ran poorly.

No one has mentioned how they had to dial back the fidelity of their models either. The avatars used to be much more detailed (though they did still look plastic) ... that's how bad it was. They had to do it in order to get the game to play on people's mid range machines.

Another thing was how they gated the starting. If memory serves you only started as 4 classes (warrior/Cleric/Rogue/Mage) and didn't actually unlock your true class until something around level 20(?).

ex: Warrior until level 10; Crusader until 20(?); finally you got to choose Paladin/Shadowknight after that.

People didn't like that. They wanted the 'freedom' of being locked to the class they started with from the start, like in EQ1.
  • DKLondDKLond Member RarePosts: 2,273
    edited November 2017
    For my part, I had a hard time getting past the horrible engine and optimization. Didn't care for the combat system much either. Sort of archaic and clunky all-round.

I did enjoy the depth of mechanics and such, though.

In the grand scheme of things, it's pretty obvious that WoW - a much more polished and accessible experience - had a profound effect on the popularity of EQ2, as it was released soon after.

It clearly demonstrated that you don't need to punish players to motivate them to play or engage. It's enough to challenge them.
  • Panther2103Panther2103 Member EpicPosts: 5,766
    Honestly I didn't get into it when it came out because I don't think my PC could handle the game. Unfortunately by the time I did finally get into it, I got a tad overwhelmed and had little help due to most of the community being near or max level. I feel like the graphics were weird, the engine was poorly optimized (my PC blew the requirements out of the water and still struggled on max settings) and in my opinion there were too many skills that did similar things. By level 20 I had almost 2 bars full of skills on my Paladin. I just felt like that was way more than necessary. But the game itself is pretty fun once you get past those things. 
  • AnthurAnthur Member UncommonPosts: 961
    Nothing was wrong with EQ2 for a themepark MMO.

Why was it not as successful as WoW ? Higher pc requirements and WoW had from it's single player Warcraft RTS series also a much bigger player base and therefore popularity as EQ2 with EQ which had still a tiny community compared to other games/genres. And SOE marketing sucked compared to Blizzard.
    ByrgenarHofen