Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mu Legend - Launch Day Impressions - MMORPG.com

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
edited November 2017 in News & Features Discussion

imageMu Legend - Launch Day Impressions - MMORPG.com

MU Legend is a new MMO Action RPG from Webzen, or as I like to call it, the House that MU Built. What is it? Well, think of Devilian, or Diablo 3, or Marvel Heroes with Webzen’s MU stylings. That’s the gist of it. But is it any good? The answer is, after 24 levels and several hours - yes, we think?

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• WarlyxWarlyx Member EpicPosts: 3,363
    1h queue......sigh
    milfos
  • AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    edited November 2017
    Lol I dont think mentioning Devilian was good since not even Trion seems to remember it. But as you mentioned, there's still games like PoE, Marvel Heroes and only more otw, so this one will mainly be drowned out. Feels like 5+ years too late, but that's just my opinion.
  • rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    edited November 2017
    Considering the original MU was released in 2003, MU Legend feels a bit late to the party.

I think it still looks good but i might not even bother with it for one simple reason... point and click. It drives me nuts when ARPG devs still refuse to add either WASD or gamepad support to those games in 2017 almost 2018.

Even 4 directional isometric games on super nintendo played well on a gamepad and these "modern" people still think that limiting an ARPG game to point and click has some kind of benefit. It is a big con.

• lahnmirlahnmir Member LegendaryPosts: 5,041
    Considering the original MU was released in 2003, MU Legend feels a bit late to the party.

I think it still looks good but i might not even bother with it for one simple reason... point and click. It drives me nuts when ARPG devs still refuse to add either WASD or gamepad support to those games in 2017 almost 2018.

Even 4 directional isometric games on super nintendo played well on a gamepad and these "modern" people still think that limiting an ARPG game to point and click has some kind of benefit. It is a big con.
    Modern? Diablo 1 had it and that game basically started the whole genre. WASD controls in hack'n slash games are actually 'modern', not the other way around. 

I don't see any benefits by using WASD, at all. I also don't see a downside tbh, just a simple matter of preference.

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    Golelorn
    'the only way he could nail it any better is if he used a cross.'

Kyleran on yours sincerely 

'But there are many. You can play them entirely solo, and even offline. Also, you are wrong by default.'

Ikcin in response to yours sincerely debating whether or not single-player offline MMOs exist...

'This does not apply just to ED but SC or any other game. What they will get is Rebirth/X4, likely prettier but equally underwhelming and pointless. 

It is incredibly difficult to design some meaningfull leg content that would fit a space ship game - simply because it is not a leg game.

It is just huge resource waste....'

Gdemami absolutely not being an armchair developer

• flizzerflizzer Member RarePosts: 2,454
    For me the benefits of using WASD is it doesnt aggravate my carpal tunnel the way point and click does.  I stay away from point and click type games.
    [Deleted User]AlbatroesrojoArcueidk61977Wylf
    edited November 2017

lahnmir said:

Modern? Diablo 1 had it and that game basically started the whole genre. WASD controls in hack'n slash games are actually 'modern', not the other way around. 

I don't see any benefits by using WASD, at all. I also don't see a downside tbh, just a simple matter of preference.

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir

by modern i mean todays devs. There is a big benefit in adding either WASD or gamepad support to games. It attracts the playerbase that wants to play those games (like me) but cannot play with the mouse for longer than a few minutes.

Yes, i played Diablo 1 on Playstation 1 and it played wonderfully with a gamepad. Just like Brotherhood of steel on PS2 and the Ultima games on supernintendo. Perfect world had two mmo ARPGs, Battle of Immortals and War of Immortals and although the games were shitty IMO, they played wonderfully with WASD.

While it is mostly preference when people choose how to control the games, unfortunately, it is not preference when playing with the mouse makes existing hand problems worse. Many of these companies are missing out on a lot of people because of that.

I never feel any pressure or discomfort when playing with a controller because the shape of the controller falls naturally into the hand resting on your lap. Not the same when holding a mouse.
    [Deleted User]

• MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 9,196
    Its fun so I will play it as a side game. 
    velimirius
  • MageOfEmpiresMageOfEmpires Member CommonPosts: 3
    I played 100+ hours of Guardians of Ember and, from watching people stream this game, it appeared to be incredibly similar.
    JamesGoblinvelimirius
  • TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297
    I played 100+ hours of Guardians of Ember and, from watching people stream this game, it appeared to be incredibly similar.
    I'd say it's a lot better than GoE. Not that I think MU is good, I think it's below average tbh. But I thought GoE was terrible.
    I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
  • DarkswormDarksworm Member RarePosts: 1,081

flizzer said:

For me the benefits of using WASD is it doesnt aggravate my carpal tunnel the way point and click does.  I stay away from point and click type games.

Yes, but that's a personal problem - not anything to do with the merits of P&C controls.

lahnmir said:

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir

by modern i mean todays devs. There is a big benefit in adding either WASD or gamepad support to games. It attracts the playerbase that wants to play those games (like me) but cannot play with the mouse for longer than a few minutes.

Yes, i played Diablo 1 on Playstation 1 and it played wonderfully with a gamepad. Just like Brotherhood of steel on PS2 and the Ultima games on supernintendo. Perfect world had two mmo ARPGs, Battle of Immortals and War of Immortals and although the games were shitty IMO, they played wonderfully with WASD.

While it is mostly preference when people choose how to control the games, unfortunately, it is not preference when playing with the mouse makes existing hand problems worse. Many of these companies are missing out on a lot of people because of that.

I never feel any pressure or discomfort when playing with a controller because the shape of the controller falls naturally into the hand resting on your lap. Not the same when holding a mouse.

I've literally never played a game with WASD controls, and wouldn't. I can never get used to it, so I simply avoid games that default to those controls and don't work well out of the box with gamepads like Orbweaver or Tartarus (Nostromo-type gaming accessories).

My keyboard is for chatting :-P

20+ years and no RSI, and I fall hard on my hands/wrists all the time.

What are [some fairly young] people doing with their hands to make it impossible to play Diablo III with a mouse for more than a few minutes? Lol.
  • titanofdoomtitanofdoom Member UncommonPosts: 263
    Sort the mana regen out in this game!! Fed up hearing 'you're out of mana' every 10 seconds!
    JamesGoblin
    Perennially extricating the extraneous
  • darkheartsdarkhearts Member UncommonPosts: 159
    Loved the first, thanks for the heads up the game is live. Just downloaded it now.
  • odiasudaodiasuda Member UncommonPosts: 162
    "Per say"? Really? Come on, man...
    BruceYeeBillMurphy
  • BillMurphyBillMurphy Former Managing EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 4,565

odiasuda said:

"Per say"? Really? Come on, man...

I suck.
    Viper482[Deleted User]

Try to be excellent to everyone you meet. You never know what someone else has seen or endured.

My Review Manifesto
    Follow me on Twitter if you dare.

• ElthiumElthium Member UncommonPosts: 88
    Having trouble sleeping at night? Doctor Elthium recommends 30 minutes of MU Legend™ before bedtime for a good night's sleep. FDA approved.

Caution: May cause brain cell atrophy. If symptoms persist see your doctor.

• LeoTolstoyLeoTolstoy Member UncommonPosts: 30
    Played for about 30 minutes and it felt shallow like Devilian. I'll hop back in and give it another run. I think most of us are just antsy for Lost Ark.
    unfilteredJWIlaya
    edited November 2017
    Darksworm said:

What are [some fairly young] people doing with their hands to make it impossible to play Diablo III with a mouse for more than a few minutes? Lol.
    I'm not sure about the other guys, we are all different, but in my case you can blame chemotherapy for damaging my nerves. And it just got worse from using the mouse.

Games that have proven to be played well with various ways of controls should offer all options. Mouse movement for those who want it, WASD for those who want it, and gamepad for those who want it. I'm fine with either of the latter two.

If it was an impossible task it would be understandable, but if you can make an entire game from scratch, there is no way you cannot offer different ways of playing the game, i would think.

BruceYeesschrupp

• Tiamat64Tiamat64 Member RarePosts: 1,545
    DMKano said:

Albatroes said:

Lol I dont think mentioning Devilian was good since not even Trion seems to remember it. But as you mentioned, there's still games like PoE, Marvel Heroes and only more otw, so this one will mainly be drowned out. Feels like 5+ years too late, but that's just my opinion.

This is yet another mmo-ARPG that has the same pitfalls of the others - namely lack of depth in both gear and skill builds, which eliminates "build theorycrafting" and also makes linear nature kills replayability.

On the other issue of Devilian (which I played to end raid game and stopped) - same pitfalls, but Bluehole has seemingly stopped development since PUBG. I think Bluehole has forgotten Devilian - not only Trion but other publishers around the world havent gotten any updates in forever. Its a dead game sadly. The combat was quite promissing at high levels but linear gear progression is so 2004.

Like Ive said many times before - western ARPG gamers need build theorycrafting with deep gear and class skills.

this KR mmo-arpg trend of linear gear progression and very limted class builds = dead game in the west before too long. Mu Legends sadly seems to be following the same design
    Dead game in the east and around the world too apparently if it's not receiving any updates.

ARPGs just aren't the same if you can't spend hours upon hours theory crafting things.
    [Deleted User]ConstantineMerus
  • bamwallabamwalla Member UncommonPosts: 221
    played a bit of the first beta. it was fun in a mindless-button-mash sort of way. but then I stopped playing it and never went back and probably never will.
    mazut
  • slythsslyths Member UncommonPosts: 208
    Am i the only one who sees that gating dungeons behind microtransactions is a huge problem in this game?
    Phry
  • PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Point and Click movement/combat, nah. :/
  • mazutmazut Member UncommonPosts: 988
    Damn, I was whining about some similar new game few days ago, but MU... come on. This is the bottom of the genre. The original game is such pointless, mindless grind fest... You can't get worst then MU :D
  • Veexer_NuiVeexer_Nui Member UncommonPosts: 268
    It has more endgame than Diablo 3 that's for sure, instances, raids. But I would still prefer Path of exile to both of these.

Archeage EU - Nui

• cielyciely Member UncommonPosts: 124
    i found the original version quite nostalgic and strangely addicting, though i don't think i remember loot farming in mu online, mu legend does better at that but as other people said path of exile is superior then again i find mu legend a bit more appealing (poe gfx bother me)

i hate how mu legend looks like a mobile or a chinese web browser game though and it just reeks with p2w nonetheless i'll play it until lostark shows up since other games are just as p2w and not worth our time.
  • habs845habs845 Member UncommonPosts: 9
    I found it to be good fun, i prefer this type of combat then poe (still beleive poe is king) but i love the classes and i like the combat and the fact that it has pvp is also a bonus
    MikehaViper482