Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

NCSoft Announces PC MMO 'Project TL' - MMORPG.com News

Comments

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,001
    SEANMCAD said:
    Sovrath said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    Sovrath said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    Sovrath said:

not related to what I was saying or my question.

would you like to know why I think my observation is constructive? yes or no

Yes, by all means, please share ...
    The brain has a tendency to form a habit that can last a lifetime. 
    Expanding ones life experiences in the long run creates a happier person and (I find this int resting) the perception of time slows down, or rather the memory of your past.

Never the less, when people get in a rut they sometimes are not aware of what they are missing. 'talking outside of the box' turns into conversations about one handed blade vs two handed blade and all the other wonderful things that are possible are overlooked.

does that make sense?
    Yeah but people get different experiences outside of video games. "Video Games" should just be one aspect of a varied life.
    the problem is when one develops tunnel vision (which playing the exact same game forumla for years will do) it becomes very unhealthy
    IF that was your only outlet then sure, I can see the point....

incorrect.

a tunnel vision in how a game should be is unhealthy. 

peroid, regardless of your non-gaming outlets
    No I say correct.
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    It certainly look beutiful with a nice, not too Asian artstyle and very realistic llife like world.

However in the vid there seems to be tons of ultra weak trashmobs. I am not too found of the rather common Korean idea of wading through a sea of crapmobs (Tera is one bad offender there). The original Lineage wasn't like that when I played it at least.

I hope that is just to show things off but I fear it will be one of those games.
    deniter
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    Sovrath said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    Sovrath said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    Sovrath said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    Hashbrick said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    ananit said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    Aeander said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    wait another fantasy based game...sweet Jesus worse then 'survival games'
    It's almost as if fantasy is an entire genre with multiple subgenres based on centuries of human history or something.
    lol...'sub genre'....not really 
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Fantasy_genres
    sub genres of the fantasy genre of games almost literally mean nothing more than an avatar change.

its all the same tired old shit, fight mobs
    Just like your posts, the same old tired shit of going against the grain all the time with nothing constructive to say
    I think it is productive to point out to other people that the fantasy genre is over done, would you like to know why I think its productive?
    oh it seems that today is the day that you and I just don't agree and we go back and forth.

However, I can at least acknowledge that the fantasy genre is done a lot. But it's not "overdone" as that is the only genre I ever buy for the most part. I never stick with science fiction (unless it's a 4x game) and horror is a tough one for developers to get right.

Most likely others but they never interest me. So point being, I think there are a lot of other people in the same boat.
    Sorry I was looking for an answer to my question not someone diverting. I dont mind people interjecting but I would perfer they at least ponder the quesiton
    Hey you made a statement it's perfectly fine for people to comment on that statement.

Also "sub genres" are different as far as tone, the world, how the characters interact with that world.

Otherwise no matter what genre it is you are going to be "fighting mobs".

Noooo, thats like inviting a vampire to come in your house.  :o

Now all of the life of the OP will be sucked dry.

Where did I put my garlic and holy water.?

;)
    [Deleted User]MadFrenchieCecropiaMabushiiConstantineMerusMrMelGibsonEponyxDamor

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• SEANMCADSEANMCAD Member EpicPosts: 16,775
    Kyleran said:
    Sovrath said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    Sovrath said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    Sovrath said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    Hashbrick said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    ananit said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    Aeander said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    It's almost as if fantasy is an entire genre with multiple subgenres based on centuries of human history or something.
    sub genres of the fantasy genre of games almost literally mean nothing more than an avatar change.

Just like your posts, the same old tired shit of going against the grain all the time with nothing constructive to say
    I think it is productive to point out to other people that the fantasy genre is over done, would you like to know why I think its productive?
    oh it seems that today is the day that you and I just don't agree and we go back and forth.

However, I can at least acknowledge that the fantasy genre is done a lot. But it's not "overdone" as that is the only genre I ever buy for the most part. I never stick with science fiction (unless it's a 4x game) and horror is a tough one for developers to get right.

Most likely others but they never interest me. So point being, I think there are a lot of other people in the same boat.
    Sorry I was looking for an answer to my question not someone diverting. I dont mind people interjecting but I would perfer they at least ponder the quesiton
    Hey you made a statement it's perfectly fine for people to comment on that statement.

Also "sub genres" are different as far as tone, the world, how the characters interact with that world.

;)
    he survived my answer just fine.

Please do not respond to me, even if I ask you a question, its rhetorical.

Please do not respond to me

• Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686
    I am on the verge of trying out Divinty 2, should inbe interested in this?

lets find out if its just action or has actuall depth

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Looked good visually, but hopefully the characters looking so similar doesn't mean that there is no character creation/customisation which it did seem to suggest, it also didn't look much like an MMO, but more like a diablo game from the camera angles shown in the video, if that is representative of actual gameplay then i can't really see it being all that interesting to play, its a bit too 'moba'esque' and something i am not at all fond of, and 5 classes? hopefully not gender locked though it did look like they might be.
    Not sure there is a market for the type of gameplay that was shown honestly as it looked more like an advertisement for a MOBA rather than for an MMO, it also looked a bit too impersonal, hopefully it wasn't too representative of actual gameplay, though i suspect much of it was, which would be a pity. :/
    Phry said:
    Looked good visually, but hopefully the characters looking so similar doesn't mean that there is no character creation/customisation which it did seem to suggest, it also didn't look much like an MMO, but more like a diablo game from the camera angles shown in the video, if that is representative of actual gameplay then i can't really see it being all that interesting to play, its a bit too 'moba'esque' and something i am not at all fond of, and 5 classes? hopefully not gender locked though it did look like they might be.
    Not sure there is a market for the type of gameplay that was shown honestly as it looked more like an advertisement for a MOBA rather than for an MMO, it also looked a bit too impersonal, hopefully it wasn't too representative of actual gameplay, though i suspect much of it was, which would be a pity. :/
    If it is an mmo then they are going with a similar design to the first lineage which of course had more of a diablo look to it in regards to camera angle.
    [Deleted User]

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Sovrath said:
    Phry said:
    If it is an mmo then they are going with a similar design to the first lineage which of course had more of a diablo look to it in regards to camera angle.
    It looked like a 5 v 5 MOBA tbh, with the goal being to either attack or defend a castle depending on which team you were on. :/
    [Deleted User]
  • KabulozoKabulozo Member RarePosts: 932
    edited November 2017
    so what happened to Lineage Eternal? did it get scrapped?
    Koreans hated Lineage Eternal due to its MOBA-ish hero system. Then they fired LE staff and rebooted it to be in line with what Koreans like.
  • FlyByKnightFlyByKnight Member EpicPosts: 3,967
    Project T/L can't really blow Lost Ark out of the water until I see all the other features it has beyond combat. Say what you want about Lost Ark but they showed gathering, crafting, raiding, and other extracurricular activities.
    "As far as the forum code of conduct, I would think it's a bit outdated and in need of a refre *CLOSED*" 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    edited November 2017
    Project T/L can't really blow Lost Ark out of the water until I see all the other features it has beyond combat. Say what you want about Lost Ark but they showed gathering, crafting, raiding, and other extracurricular activities.
    If they implement full world PVP/PK/Clan war like Lineage 1, then it will blow LK. Lineage 1 still is the most popular MMO in Korea because no other AAA MMO offers a better world pvp.
    edited November 2017
    Torval said:
    Kabulozo said:
    If they implement full world PVP/PK/Clan war like Lineage 1, then it will blow LK. Lineage 1 still is the most popular MMO in Korea because no other AAA MMO offers a better world pvp.

I expect they sort of have to implement world pvp like that. For one, Lineage fans expect it. If they don't it will flop in Korea. If they do implement world pvp like that then it will likely flop in the west. The thing is if they don't it probably won't do great in the west anyway so they might as well go with the pvp and appeal to their base.
    They need to focus on the hardcore Korean Lineage fanbase. tTrying to please everybody will make it flop because it always ends pleasing nobody.
  • MaxBaconMaxBacon Member LegendaryPosts: 7,766
    Kabulozo said:
    They need to focus on the hardcore Korean Lineage fanbase. tTrying to please everybody will make it flop because it always ends pleasing nobody.
    Korea is indeed where their focus is. Just as most MMO's so it's to be expectable how the fundamental pillars of the game will be.
    [Deleted User]MrMelGibson
  • SlyLoKSlyLoK Member RarePosts: 2,698
    This looks like it would be pretty fun
  • meonthissitemeonthissite Member UncommonPosts: 917

kchisarik said:

too bad its NCSoft it looks good, but they will f it up

Well it could be worse it could be Trion, remember what happened to Archeage?
    Well, it's not a company's fault if players prefer to buy shit on cash shop to be OP instead of paying a fee to play on a fair environment.
  • ConstantineMerusConstantineMerus Member EpicPosts: 3,338
    Kyleran said:
    Sovrath said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    Sovrath said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    Sovrath said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    Hashbrick said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    ananit said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    Aeander said:
    SEANMCAD said:

;)
    I thought we were friends ;(
    KyleranMrMelGibson
    Constantine, The Console Poster

• "One of the most difficult tasks men can perform, however much others may despise it, is the invention of good games and it cannot be done by men out of touch with their instinctive selves." - Carl Jung
  • YaevinduskYaevindusk Member RarePosts: 2,094

Warlyx said:

yeah why work on that game instead of lineage eternal ? :( or this is the scrap parts of the lineage eternal game ?

Incredibly poor reception of Lineage Eternal. Followed by people comparing it to Lost Ark in recent years. The new team seems to be doing a better job than the last, but much remains to be seen.

Though as a whole what I've seen doesn't hold a candle to Lost Ark yet. But that may be because I played the last closed beta test of the game; did recognize several scenes that looked identical in terms of location to Lost Ark -- such as the Wall of Glory castle siege event. Definitely them trying to take a jab at Lost Ark by not only replicating areas and scenes, but putting them in the launch video of their reworked game.

Honestly, I'd like to see this game be the better of the two simply because Lost Ark is poised to be a Pay to Play subscription game, and I don't know if I'm keen to subscribe to a hack and slash game yet -- even if it has sailing and world maps and a really interesting story (so far). If what Bill guesses is true and Pappy's crew is doing the western release, then that's all the more reason to want for this as I've always felt him to be a charismatic guy.

Though they will have to show more of their systems and prove that they learned from mistakes to really get me out of my Lost Ark Addiction. Videos don't do these games justice.
    Due to frequent travel in my youth, English isn't something I consider my primary language (and thus I obtained quirky ways of writing).  German and French were always easier for me despite my family being U.S. citizens for over a century.  Spanish I learned as a requirement in school, Japanese and Korean I acquired for my youthful desire of anime and gaming (and also work now).  I only debate in English to help me work with it (and limit things).  In addition, I'm not smart enough to remain fluent in everything and typically need exposure to get in the groove of things again if I haven't heard it in a while.  If you understand Mandarin, I know a little, but it has actually been a challenge and could use some help.

Also, I thoroughly enjoy debates and have accounts on over a dozen sites for this.  If you wish to engage in such, please put effort in a post and provide sources -- I will then do the same with what I already wrote (if I didn't) as well as with my responses to your own.  Expanding my information on a subject makes my stance either change or strengthen the next time I speak of it or write a thesis.  Allow me to thank you sincerely for your time.
  • RaquisRaquis Member RarePosts: 1,029
    That knight has got a little bit of an attitude,maybe daddy issues,lol;)
  • KnightFalzKnightFalz Member EpicPosts: 4,166

SEANMCAD said:

Sovrath said:

Expanding ones life experiences in the long run creates a happier person and (I find this int resting) the perception of time slows down, or rather the memory of your past.

Never the less, when people get in a rut they sometimes are not aware of what they are missing. 'talking outside of the box' turns into conversations about one handed blade vs two handed blade and all the other wonderful things that are possible are overlooked.

does that make sense?

No, it doesn't make sense, in the context of fantasy versus another genre, at least when it comes to MMORPGs. In all cases it is just a shift in the trappings surrounding the experience. Though the surrounding aesthetics are different the core experience remains the same.

Elements that make more of a difference than genre are the ratio of PvE to PvP, whether the game is theme park or sandbox, and other substantive factors... not if you are flying on a winged mount or riding a gravbike, or blasting your enemy with a bolt from your hand or your raygun.
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    Kyleran said:
    Sovrath said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    Sovrath said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    Sovrath said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    Hashbrick said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    ananit said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    Aeander said:
    SEANMCAD said:

;)
    I thought we were friends ;(
    We are, did I misquote you or something?
    ConstantineMerus

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

SEANMCAD said:

Sovrath said:

does that make sense?

No, it doesn't make sense, in the context of fantasy versus another genre, at least when it comes to MMORPGs. In all cases it is just a shift in the trappings surrounding the experience. Though the surrounding aesthetics are different the core experience remains the same.

Elements that make more of a difference than genre are the ratio of PvE to PvP, whether the game is theme park or sandbox, and other substantive factors... not if you are flying on a winged mount or riding a gravbike, or blasting your enemy with a bolt from your hand or your raygun.
    let me try a different approach then.

The technology of games (meaning video games) is so powerful and so flexible the amount of possible content far excedes all written novels, all movies, all TV shows in the history of mankind combined. And yet for some reason just one forumla out of likely millions we want to play over and over and over and over and over and over again. mob killing combat, with gear, in a fantasy setting.

anyone who thinks that is good is suffering from extreeme tunnel vision which WILL affect other aspects of their life.

Now to be fair, if fantasty mob killing RPG is all you have done for a few years then that is fine, but if you have been doing that for 15 years...holy fuck its time for a change!

SEANMCAD said:

SEANMCAD said:

Sovrath said:

does that make sense?

The technology of games (meaning video games) is so powerful and so flexible the amount of possible content far excedes all written novels, all movies, all TV shows in the history of mankind combined. And yet for some reason just one forumla out of likely millions we want to play over and over and over and over and over and over again. mob killing combat, with gear, in a fantasy setting.

anyone who thinks that is good is suffering from extreeme tunnel vision which WILL affect other aspects of their life.

Now to be fair, if fantasty mob killing RPG is all you have done for a few years then that is fine, but if you have been doing that for 15 years...holy fuck its time for a change!
    Nah, you pretty much made this one up.

I'm not saying that more variety is needed on the mmorpg sector but if someone is enjoying themselves doing whatever it is they are doing, there's no reason they need to change just because someone says it's going to be a detriment.

Heck, it reminds me of when I was a kid and my mother made me go outside for 30 minutes. I didn't want to as I was busy with my own little project. I sat on the stoop, waited it out and then came back in.

People know what they want to do and if they weren't enjoying themselves they would find something else to do.

Additionally, you discount their own stories in their head as they are roaming the world "killing monsters".

Also, some people grind but they are talking with clanmates and having a blast doing so.

The world is filled with too many people making proclamations about what is good or bad for people. It's pretty judgmental, and not a really good way to be.
    [Deleted User]

Sovrath said:
    SEANMCAD said:

SEANMCAD said:

Sovrath said:

does that make sense?

I'm not saying that more variety is needed on the mmorpg sector but if someone is enjoying themselves doing whatever it is they are doing, there's no reason they need to change just because someone says it's going to be a detriment.

Heck, it reminds me of when I was a kid and my mother made me go outside for 30 minutes. I didn't want to as I was busy with my own little project. I sat on the stoop, waited it out and then came back in.

People know what they want to do and if they weren't enjoying themselves they would find something else to do.

Additionally, you discount their own stories in their head as they are roaming the world "killing monsters".

Also, some people grind but they are talking with clanmates and having a blast doing so.

The world is filled with too many people making proclamations about what is good or bad for people. It's pretty judgmental, and not a really good way to be.
    there is some truth to that however its fairly well known that if you dont expand your horizons ever then you never know if you like something or not.

but to be fair to you, I am treading on grounds that is unwarrented and in some respects unhealthy for me to be doing. so I drop it :)

SEANMCAD said:
    Sovrath said:
    SEANMCAD said:

SEANMCAD said:

Sovrath said:

does that make sense?

there is some truth to that however its fairly well known that if you dont expand your horizons ever then you never know if you like something or not.

but to be fair to you, I am treading on grounds that is unwarrented and in some respects unhealthy for me to be doing. so I drop it :)
    I get your point and at the core I agree but it's more expansive than that as I said above. Expanding one's horizons takes place outside of video games. So if someone ski's, takes oil painting classes, does yoga, and plays the piano, and also plays grinding mmo's, I think it can be safe to assume that they are experiencing a variety of different things.

If one "just" logs into a video game, every day, for hours and hours and does nothing else but grind mobs then "yes" that's a problem.