Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is WoW worth a subscription in it's current state?

GravebladeGraveblade Member UncommonPosts: 547
Do you think WoW is worth a subscription in it's current state?
Started playing mmorpg's in 1996 and have been hooked ever since. It began with Kingdom of Drakkar, Ultima Online, Everquest, DAoC, WoW...
exile01LesceePhry

Comments

• FaelsunFaelsun Member UncommonPosts: 501
    Not if you're new, and then only if you're into dungeon raids.  If you're an old player looking for pvp or fun BGs your going to find two things, an empty landscape and a Heirloom gear wall. Currenly as is at max level in legion Crafting is completely useless, its novelty now. But if your an old player interested in Raids, then maybe you could get interested they seem to be focusing on that now.

If you're like me left around the end of WOTLK for serious play anyway, its not worth the energy to burn. Im honestly more interested in some of the soon to be released mmos, like Crowfall, Black Desert etc. fingers crossed.
  • Panther2103Panther2103 Member EpicPosts: 5,766
    Faelsun said:
    Not if you're new, and then only if you're into dungeon raids.  If you're an old player looking for pvp or fun BGs your going to find two things, an empty landscape and a Heirloom gear wall. Currenly as is at max level in legion Crafting is completely useless, its novelty now. But if your an old player interested in Raids, then maybe you could get interested they seem to be focusing on that now.

If you're like me left around the end of WOTLK for serious play anyway, its not worth the energy to burn. Im honestly more interested in some of the soon to be released mmos, like Crowfall, Black Desert etc. fingers crossed.
    That's not really true at all. My girlfriend had never played WoW, and last month we started new characters and I have been leveling with her. Shes having a blast, as am I (although I find leveling a bit too easy now). I think in it's current state the game is worth a sub if you like what there is to do. I feel like I like enough of the side content to justify a purchase, and I really enjoy raiding so that's a plus. 
    Faelsun said:

That's not really true at all. My girlfriend had never played WoW, and last month we started new characters and I have been leveling with her. Shes having a blast, as am I (although I find leveling a bit too easy now). I think in it's current state the game is worth a sub if you like what there is to do. I feel like I like enough of the side content to justify a purchase, and I really enjoy raiding so that's a plus. 
    Im glad you and your GF are having a blast, but nothing I said is untrue. I said if you enjoy raiding you might like it. I did say that. I also said most of the landscape itself is abandoned which is also true, unless youre gonna BS and tell me STV is over populated now.
    ZenJellyNephethvalofreakR3d.Gallows
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 31,937
    what "current state'? It's got more content than most games out there. It's actively developed and has one of the largest communities in gaming.

Octagon7711PhryNephethgrimal
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • TalonsinTalonsin Member EpicPosts: 3,619
    If you like themeparks, WoW is the one to play.  It has more content than any other themepark game I know.  You may not like some of its content (PVP) compared to other games but pound for pound, there is no better themepark than WoW.
    NephethjimmywolfR3d.Gallows
    "Sean (Murray) saying MP will be in the game is not remotely close to evidence that at the point of purchase people thought there was MP in the game."  - SEANMCAD

Faelsun said:
    Faelsun said:

Im glad you and your GF are having a blast, but nothing I said is untrue. I said if you enjoy raiding you might like it. I did say that. I also said most of the landscape itself is abandoned which is also true, unless youre gonna BS and tell me STV is over populated now.
    Well no zone is really overpopulated but in general you do encounter quite a few people. The way the servers are set up, even on low pop servers you will see players from other servers. I've encountered quite a few people who I've killed or gotten killed by in PvP just in the first 50 levels. Sure I've been in zones with 1 or 2 I've seen but in 10k needles yesterday I saw 7 or 8 people in one of the leveling hubs. That's not really a hot spot either. Which sure it's not great numbers, but for a game entirely focused on endgame, and most people being cap that's quite a few. 

The PvP is still fun as well. I've been doing rated BG's on my hunter with my guild and have had no problems, the balancing isn't great but it's still quite competitive. It's not like I'm a new player or anything. I've been playing since Vanilla and was relatively high ranked in arenas in BC onwards. The world PvP is pretty dead for 110 but bg's and arenas are damn active. 
  • DragnelusDragnelus Member EpicPosts: 3,503
    Talonsin said:
    If you like themeparks, WoW is the one to play.  It has more content than any other themepark game I know.  You may not like some of its content (PVP) compared to other games but pound for pound, there is no better themepark than WoW.

Final Fantasy XIV

(subbed for ffxiv and wow)
    PhryNephethvalofreak

Dragnelus said:
    Talonsin said:

Final Fantasy XIV

(subbed for ffxiv and wow)
    XIV is a bit different though. It does have quite a bit to do (maybe more in relation to dungeons and raids), but it feels quite a bit slower than WoW combat wise. I'm also subbed to both at the moment. 
  • ForgrimmForgrimm Member EpicPosts: 3,059
    It's worth it if you enjoy it. Add in the fact that you can buy a sub with gold and not have to spend real $.
    edited November 2017
     The world PvP is pretty dead for 110 but bg's and arenas are damn active. 
    World pvp is dead, yes I know this. Im not personally looking for a structured environment in everything I do, I find it far more enjoyable to start a town pvp fight by assassinating some alts who log on with their mains to get sweet revenge.

You said it most people are cap, those who are not cap dont even have to go to level zones after level 15 you can just idle afk and hit the dungeon join button. I mean Im not hating on people who do but for -me personally- thats not very fulfilling. The game is, inferior to me from its BC,WOTLK days, far inferior.
  • DijonCyanideDijonCyanide Member UncommonPosts: 586
    I played & was subscribed to WoW for 3-4 years from the beginning.  Now I only update & play a little to scratch that WoW itch on the free trial once in awhile.  It got less innovative & more repetitive with a different paint-job as the years passed let alone all the grinding & raiding.  I concede I've never been one for PvP though so those focused features were wasted on me.  The only time I considered resubscribing was when I viewed on YouTube about WoW being remade using the Unreal engine, but that was by some dedicated player & Blizzard never utilized that idea.  Instead they utilized this "vanilla" server approach, by what I've read, was made popular by other dedicated WoW players & now Blizzard.  By this time most mmorpgs' economies are so hyper-inflated anyways it's not very friendly to new nor returning players.
    Faelsun
  • gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919
    Content hasn't really got anything to do with the question imo.

There are lots of games with lots of content: EQ1, AC, GW1 with all of its expansions, LotR - even ESO more recently. Does WoW have more content than some or all of these? As I say its not the issue.

If it was then a 2 hour 30 min film will always be better than a 90 minute film!

WoW is a solid game and for a newcomer in particular has a lot to offer. If - after trying the trial - the person likes it and is happy to pay its worth it.

The real question only has meaning when you start to compare one game with another. And if a person likes two games equally - ! - then the one with the lower cost can be said to provide "better value". Like is a personal thing of course.

Maybe the OP's question is: what is the sub for for someone who has played through the content? The answer, of course, is profit. And its why - historically anyway since we no longer know - subs fell between expansions. It no longer represented value for "them". 

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    It really depends on you. I don't think anyone can answer if something you does for fun is worth it or not.

I can answer for me personally and that would be no but I am rather confident we don't like the exact same things.

As I see it: Do a trial, if you like that sub a month. After that you need to decide if you got  your value and want to resub each month or not. That is the only way to do things.

I don't recommend you to buy a years sub at the same time though, the first month might be worth it but you can find out any time that things have changed.
  • JeffSpicoliJeffSpicoli Member EpicPosts: 2,849
    Absolutely not , Especially after returning to Guild Wars 2. The fact is wow just doesn't release or add content fast enough to justify a sub, What the F do they do with all the money? When you look at Final Fantasy and the amount of content they constantly add you say, ok, at least i know my sub $ is being spent on resources to add content but the dry spells in WOW are unacceptable for how much they make.

Im sure one of the "business insiders" on this board will now explain to me how A MMO's revenue does not or should not equal new content, I'd disagree

Nepheth
    • Aloha Mr Hand ! 

• AlverantAlverant Member RarePosts: 1,319
    You can try it for free now. I did a few years ago and couldn't get into it. Your results may be different but I say give it a try.
  • Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    thunderC said:
    Absolutely not , Especially after returning to Guild Wars 2. The fact is wow just doesn't release or add content fast enough to justify a sub, What the F do they do with all the money? When you look at Final Fantasy and the amount of content they constantly add you say, ok, at least i know my sub $ is being spent on resources to add content but the dry spells in WOW are unacceptable for how much they make.

Im sure one of the "business insiders" on this board will now explain to me how A MMO's revenue does not or should not equal new content, I'd disagree
    My theory is that they bath in money like Scroge MacDuck but yes, the amount of the earnings they re-invest into Wow is not very impressive, particularly since they pay for the expansions with the box price.

If you compare what 12 months of subs give you in patched in content compared to what B2P and F2P games give it is not very good value for the money.

Still, if subbing or not is worth it depends on how fun you actually find playing it and to some degree how many hours ypu play it.

If you just play a few hours each month those hours better be amazing for you of course. :)
    JeffSpicoli
  • HarikenHariken Member EpicPosts: 2,680
    The genre is just stale to me now. I don't think any of them are worth 15 a month anymore. MMo's haven't really changed all that much since 1999 to me. Graphics are better but everything else is pretty much the same.
  • tawesstawess Member EpicPosts: 4,227
    Simple answer.. Yes... You can without a problem get the cost of a months subscription from the game no matter what you like to do (beyond crafting.. it is and has always been a utter joke) 

Beyond one month... I´d say yes... But that is a personal opinion. 

In fact mechanically i´d say WoW just keep on getting better. But if the last game you played was Star Wars Galaxies... You might end up feeling it is a bit shallow. =P  

But... And it is a important BUT....There are several games on the market right now that give you much of the same stuff to do that are entirely free to get started in. So it might be worth checking them out. 

This have been a good conversation

• TalulaRoseTalulaRose Member RarePosts: 1,247
    Look at it this way.

Older games have a many years of content, but graphics are dated.

New games have great graphics, content not so much.

If you make friends then none of it will matter because everything is fun with friends.
  • Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    It's worth subbing for awhile but starting off is free until your character reaches level 20, then you could try other classes up til 20 and then sub if you find a class you like.  

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• DarkswormDarksworm Member RarePosts: 1,081
    edited November 2017
    Faelsun said:

WoW is worth it if you actually want to actively play an MMORPG.  If you're one of those 2 hours 3 days a week players, Blizzard will happily take your money, but you aren't really going to get much out of it.  Players do play multiple facets of the game (M+ Pushing, Progressing Raiding, RBGs and Arena) get their money's worth.

And I'm glad to see people are still using that retarded "WotLK" propaganda.  WoTLK wasn't all that, to be frank, and I am stupefied how people who "left around the end of WotLK for serious play" think they are qualified to comment on the worth of the current game...

No game is worth a subscription if you aren't playing it seriously, unless you're a super fan boy and just wasn't to waste money on something you barely play, for Lord knows what reason.  Super casuals, like you, generally don't get great value out of their subscriptions, because they don't really use the product extensively...

Also, the part about Heirloom Gear Wall sounds completely retarded.  You cannot be serious?  No one does max level PvP in Heirlooms - especially not Open PvP.  The gear is terrible, and doesn't hold a candle to quest rewards.  For twinking in the lower brackets, yea... maybe...  But why would you ever play a[ny] game to do that?  In Open PvP, the gear wall is raid and high M+ gear and Legendaries - as is the case in any PvE game with Open PvP servers.

PvP gear doesn't work in instanced PvP.  No, their BiS trinkets aren't the reason why they killed you...

In BGs, gear barely matters as you only get tiny benefits from iLevels.  Stats are templated in instanced PvP (Arena, BGs, RBG) so it's like everyone from each class/spec is wearing the same gear, with minor upgrades and adjustments (i.e. PvP trinkets DO work in those places, so not swapping to them can be an awful decision overall).

WoTLK wasn't all that, or even close to it if we're talking about PvP.  Nostalgia is nice, but the expansion was as terrible for balancing issues as any other, and the PvP was less balanced than in Legion, by a thousand miles.  Frankly, Legion is the most balanced PvP has ever been - particularly instanced PvP (Arena, BGs, RBGs).

---

The issue with getting into WoW as a new player is that you're new.  You don't know anyone, while a lot of other players have months, years... up to a decades of "relationship building" and networking in the game.  This means that it can feel a bit isolated.  You don't get those instant groups.  You don't have people sitting around waiting for you to ask them for help with stuff - who will drop what they're doing to help.  You don't' have people who will put up with you when you suck simply because they know you and like you.

That's the biggest issue.  Biggest fix is to find an active casual guild to join while you're leveling to network.  A lot of these guilds are used as raiding factories.  People join them while leveling and gearing for the perks, and then move on to raiding guilds and up that ladder.

Make sure you invite cool people to be Battle.net friends, and keep up with them.  That matters in an MMORPG - it's not Overwatch.

WoW, and any MMO, for that matter...  Isn't worth playing - never mind paying - if you don't really have a social circle in the game.  The game feels like a single player game, and you become limited in what you can do or accomplish in the game (or the efficiency at which you can accomplish these things).

A lot of people paying to play that game aren't paying because they think the game is worth it, per se, but because their friends are worth it.

When you're a casual who knows no one in game, yes... it's worth less.  It will feel that way and - IMO - it objectively IS that way because there isn't much reason to log in.  You can play a single player RPG or something like Skyrim and get comparable experience at that point (unless you're into PvP).

Doing Random BGs as a solo player is a completely different experience than doing it with a group of guildies - particularly in terms of fun factor/entertainment.
    Post edited by Darksworm on
    Nepheth
  • sayuusayuu Member RarePosts: 766
    thunderC said:

its almost like you think people have to stay subbed during content droughts and not resub every major patch/expac. . .
  • HyperpsycrowHyperpsycrow Member RarePosts: 911
    I tryed wow cuz i was thinking the same...i played for 1 month and ooh boy did i learn quick what the game has become and was about now in this state...i used the lvl 100 boost and made few quest so i had gear ascore to enter random dungeons to get fast lvl 110..that went ez and fast allmost afk mode.

Then after i got lvl 110 and was covered in epic gear and even legendary gear that was super hard to get in vanilla..then i started doing some dungeons again..now they just called mystic dungeons and can be lal 1 to 15 or above..not sure...the higher lvl the better gear...then i joined a random pug blic raid and followed people..pressing my skills randomly and i was rewardet with more epic gear..crafting was to boring for me to start on...i dident feel like i was home or belonged in this game..every player had 100 of mounts and they could fly around everywhere..i just had a lausy windrider... green i think it was..

But if you find this easy item grind amusing or funny to play then go ahead..its boring as a fart in  jar!

• DarkswormDarksworm Member RarePosts: 1,081
    Faelsun said:
     The world PvP is pretty dead for 110 but bg's and arenas are damn active. 
    World pvp is dead, yes I know this. Im not personally looking for a structured environment in everything I do, I find it far more enjoyable to start a town pvp fight by assassinating some alts who log on with their mains to get sweet revenge.

You said it most people are cap, those who are not cap dont even have to go to level zones after level 15 you can just idle afk and hit the dungeon join button. I mean Im not hating on people who do but for -me personally- thats not very fulfilling. The game is, inferior to me from its BC,WOTLK days, far inferior.

It's not fulfilling to run a toon through the same low level zones for the 5th-10th time.

I think you're completely ignorant of what's happening:

1.  New Players:  They buy the game, and get a Level Boost with their purchase.  90% of them will watch YouTube videos about a class and then boost it to play what they decided on.  They'll still have to level the last 10 levels on their toon, which gives them "enough" time to learn how to play it at a basic level (they won't have BoA Heirlooms, for example).  When a new expansion is released, everyone is given a free boost to the previous Max Level (or Max Level - 10), and they simply use that to reroll, if they want.

2.  Veteran Players have already leveled a toon to Max, at least once - sometimes upwards of 5-10x (or more, even).  There's nothing fulfilling about doing the same low level content AGAIN, and AGAIN, and AGAIN.

Blizzard has removed the need for leveling from scratch even for new players.  The only people leveling toons from scratch are those trying the game in the trial, and those rolling alts and not boosting them because "can't afford" or "caring more about philosophical fulfillment than limiting the amount of time they're wasting in a video game."

Also, the entire leveling "experience" is being sort of reorganized next expansion.

The classes/specs aren't even balanced for low level PvP, so the only people interested in that are those twinking OP classes/specs at those levels to grief levelers or lowbie BGers.

During WoTLK, you could level exclusively by spamming random BGs, so I find the complaint about "spamming dungeons" to be ridiculously backwards - and kind of Low I.Q.  Leveling via PvE. dungeons.. What is the problem with that?  Oh, they aren't out at the quest hubs for you to attack on your low level twink (as long as they don't have Heirlooms that overpower them and allow them to steamroll you... at that point it becomes "unworthy it," cause you aren't winning).  I doubt you complained about this during WoTLK.

During Wrath, I leveled from 60-80 predominantly by doing BGs.  Blizzard later nerfed the XP - heavily - to stop it (during the Cataclysm expansion, I think):

There are thread posts from years ago talking about this, like:  https://us.battle.net/forums/en/wow/topic/2135903808

They also nerfed Dungeon XP to stop higher level players from skipping the new quest content and leveling almost exclusivey in dungeons.

The reason why dungeons are as good as they are at low levels, is due to Heirloom XP bonus.  The bonus is put in there so veteran players could level alts faster, and working as intended.  If a new player tried to level that way, they would get out leveled in record time by the Heirloom-wearing alts in their group.

I've leveled alts with Heirlooms.  It's considerably faster than a fresh toon.

10 year old game has "largely ignorable" low level content for veteran players...  Is this news to anyone?
  • Soki123Soki123 Member RarePosts: 2,558
    Yes , it s awesome still.