Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Classic wow will make noobs cry

Comments

• Branko2307Branko2307 Member UncommonPosts: 346
    I can't believe so many [insert derogatory term for daft humanoid] actually believe the "vanilla" server won't be more of a "sorta-vanilla" and that this isn't about picking up the additional revenue and fighting back against pirate servers. Anybody care to make a bet?

#Idiocracy

"But yeah, the goal is to recreate that exact experience, for better or for worse."

Focus on the word "EXACT" now move on to the phrase "FOR BETTER OR FOR WORSE" now come to the only conclusion a racional human mind comes to, it will be 100% Vanilla (polished).

Gdemami

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Holy Flamin' Frost-Brand Gronk-Slayin' Vorpal Hammer o' Woundin' an' Returnin' an' Shootin'-Lightnin'-Out-Yer-Bum!! ~Planescape: Torment~

• Branko2307Branko2307 Member UncommonPosts: 346
    DMKano said:
    I can't believe so many [insert derogatory term for daft humanoid] actually believe the "vanilla" server won't be more of a "sorta-vanilla" and that this isn't about picking up the additional revenue and fighting back against pirate servers. Anybody care to make a bet?

#Idiocracy

"But yeah, the goal is to recreate that exact experience, for better or for worse."

Focus on the word "EXACT" now move on to the phrase "FOR BETTER OR FOR WORSE" now come to the only conclusion a racional human mind comes to, it will be 100% Vanilla (polished).

Focus on the fact that Blizzard has made no guarantees of any sort to anyone, what was said during Blizzcon is not legally binding in any way shape or form.

It is not a guarantee of anything, it's not even a promise.

The goal is .... 

Guess what, goals change often during the development process.

Cool story Bob.
    Arglebargle

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Holy Flamin' Frost-Brand Gronk-Slayin' Vorpal Hammer o' Woundin' an' Returnin' an' Shootin'-Lightnin'-Out-Yer-Bum!! ~Planescape: Torment~

• GaladournGaladourn Member RarePosts: 1,813
    DMKano said:

Guess what, goals change often during the development process.

Well, good thing this isn't new development per se but actual reproduction of existing software...

GdemamiBranko2307Kyleran
  • ConstantineMerusConstantineMerus Member EpicPosts: 3,338
    Iselin said:
    You guys are actually arguing about what they may or may not do a year or two down the line? lol

All you really have to go on now is that they mentioned vanilla ice cream in the intro and that they also mentioned they plan to make some changes.

But hey please do go on, it's always fun to watch.

Oh and BTW, Deckard is definitely not a replicant... discuss.
    We're running out of shit to discuss mate. We can do a WoW: Vanilla is it truly an MMO or not routine if you like ;)
    Constantine, The Console Poster

• "One of the most difficult tasks men can perform, however much others may despise it, is the invention of good games and it cannot be done by men out of touch with their instinctive selves." - Carl Jung
  • DKLondDKLond Member RarePosts: 2,273
    Very surprised Blizzard decided to do this.

I still think it's a giant waste of resources - especially in terms of figuring out the right way to go back in time and implement a separate server infrastructure. That alone will constitute a TON of work.

The only people who would seriously play such an outdated version of exhausted content are so few in number I doubt they can fill even a single server in the long run. I mean, there will be no perspective or horizon beyond stuff you've already done a million times in the distant past.

That said, I'm sure there will be a few years with a bunch of tourists trying it out and getting a reminder of just how much of a waste of time the old design paradigm really was - according to modern standards.

No, you really, REALLY can't go home again.
    deniter
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,435
    edited November 2017

#Idiocracy

I have to ask, which "exact" expereience were they talking about?

Vanilla Jan 2005, before BGs,  BWL, or Silithus existed?

Or Vanilla Nov 2006 right before BC launched?

Will raid loot still be terribly optimized? Warriors still really suck because they only are useful as tanks and terribly boring to level solo?

Perhaps they'll bring back loot lag, wouldn't be a true vanilla experience without it.

Believe what you wish, anytime someone says "the goal is"  my first thought is.."well, goals are good..." (said in an incredulous vein)

[Deleted User][Deleted User]

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,824
    It won't make them cry, because they won't play it. Easymode is too ingrained in so many players now. Anyone who started gaming around the turn of 2005 has only played games designed "so your mum could play them".

In 2000 we had Thief 2, in 2005 we had Lego Star Wars, nuff said.

deniter
  • KonfessKonfess Member RarePosts: 1,667
    It wont be FREE.  And that is the only thing that matters.  Oh some one will say, it didn't have Death Knight, it should have Paladins and Shamans for all,  But those are excuses. Private Servers exist to service the Play 4 Free crowd, nothing more.

The people who can afford to Subscribe to MMOs today are paying for WoW today, they are also the whales keeping every other MMO financially solvent.  So if you are enjoying playing a game for FREE, thank WoW, Blizzard and its customer base for paying to keep your game open.

Nostalgia wears off?  The core of WoW's audience has been playing the game for over 12 years.  Returning players?  Only if they can afford it, and as long as they can afford it.  Will this have an affect on private servers?  None.  Will Blizzard still fight private servers?  Yes!
    MadFrenchie

Pardon any spelling errors
    Konfess your cyns and some maybe forgiven
    Boy: Why can't I talk to Him?
    Mom: We don't talk to Priests.
    As if it could exist, without being payed for.
    F2P means you get what you paid for. Pay nothing, get nothing.
    Even telemarketers wouldn't think that.
    It costs money to play.  Therefore P2W.

• DakeruDakeru Member EpicPosts: 3,802
    It kind of speaks for itself that instead of enjoying the recreated experience you instantly go and mock the "noobs"

What will make the noobs cry?
    Probably the level of elitist bullshit where people feel they are better than others although the game isn't even out yet.
    Kyleran[Deleted User][Deleted User]Steelhelm
    Harbinger of Fools
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,435
    Dakeru said:
    It kind of speaks for itself that instead of enjoying the recreated experience you instantly go and mock the "noobs"

What will make the noobs cry?
    Probably the level of elitist bullshit where people feel they are better than others although the game isn't even out yet.
    What's really amazing is people think playing a video game at any patch level somehow makes them one of "the elite.."

I mean c'mon,  if they were really elite they'd be playing EVE, right?

B)
    [Deleted User]

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• MardukkMardukk Member RarePosts: 2,222
    I'm just happy there is something to talk about in this dead genre.  You all can create something to complain about but more options = better.  Also I don't think there are many n00bs in the genre.  It is possible that we are all soft after playing the latest MMO's, we will adjust.
  • AvarixAvarix Member RarePosts: 665
    DMKano said:
    DMKano said:
    DMKano said:
    DMKano just stop you are embarassing yourself, im actually laughing out loud when i read your comments...so bad.

Blizzard Activision is a publicly traded company - their motivation is seeing their stock price go up.

Its about money.

Are you that naive that you think they would waste any resources on projects that wont make them money?

lol

A publically traded billion+ dollar company is doing something to benefit a niche playerbase, because they are ..... nice?

heh

All your logic about WoW Classis in numerous threads were destroyed BADLY, you are repeating em every 2nd page, no1 ever said Blizzard is not a money hungry company, if you understood bussiness you would know that its not even in their hands any more, they did go public long long long long time ago.

I said this before, if it was up to them there would BE NO VANILLA SERVER, so now after 8years of saying NO they said YES, just to bring something that nobody wants back? sorry dude but as i said before your logic is dogbleep.

What is 100% going to happen is last Vanilla patch polished, and by that i mean they will change things that dont affect the gameplay in any way, just change the gamebrakeing things that just MAKE SENSE even for most hardcore Vanilla player. Ill give you a possible example a 30minute shield wall changed to 5 minutes?

You can keep trying to assert ur bad logic and nitpick all you want, but if you watch the announcement and read the interview like i asked you, you would have no more things to say.

You are completely not understanding - the reason why they said YES finally is because they figured out how to make Classic servers worth it their dev time and how to make money off it.

That is the ONLY reason why they are saying yes now.

My entire argument is that in order to make money of Classic - the servers won't be 100% Vanilla like you claim.

Nope - what they are going to actually DELIVER (regardless of what they are saying NOW) is going to be something a lot more appealing to masses other than purists who want 100% vanilla servers.

Did I make myself clear this time?

Well, I get what you're saying ... but I think you're probably wrong.  What legacy players want is the vanilla experience not the faceroll garbage that "appeals to the masses" as you say.  So if Blizzard just repeats the same mistakes from live in vanilla, then what the hell is the point of a classic server?  No, I don't they're going to do that at all.  If they're smart enough to realize it's a good idea I'm going to give them the benefit of the doubt and assume they're smart enough to realize what people are asking for and give it to them.

The issue is this - legacy players THINK they want vanilla - in reality they don't 

They want "vanilla light" - and that's what Blizzard is going to deliver.

Now yes there is some 50K players that probably DO want actual "100% vanilla" - do you think Blizzard gives a rats ass about 50K players?

If you were running a smart business - would you make a product that will appeal to 50K players or make some tweaks and possibly be able to pull in like 500K+ players in?

Hmm?

So now you have to ask yourself - is Blizzard a smart business company or not?
    Let's highlight the 'legacy players THINK they want vanilla - in reality they don't' part.
    Your ego has to be insanely large to think you know better than the people actually requesting this. Are there players requesting it that will do a drive-by and be gone within a month when it launches? Of course. You're pulling these numbers out of nowhere though and claiming you know better. Get over yourself.

forcelimaGdemami[Deleted User]Steelhelm
  • WarlyxWarlyx Member EpicPosts: 3,361
    edited November 2017
    u guys are forgetting stunlock :) , i was a lock back then ...once a rogue is on you and u dont have trinket and Death coil u are as good as dead (plus 90% of the rogue population were undeads)

about "classic" server i for one would love to see a FFXI progression server :o that would be cool as hell
    JeffSpicoli
  • cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,067
    edited November 2017
    WoW was never hard I tell you I was playing a High Elf Paladin on Project 1999 and someone offered to take me to Lower Guk and I went of course happily forgetting I was bound in Greater Faydark.

Guess what ??? I died in Lower Guk and I had a deusy of a time going all the way back to get my corpse because unfortunately at the time I needed a port there were no high levels about so I took a boat which I had to wait for 20 minutes real time and that is considered lucky because I think it takes 40 minutes for a round trip. When I reached Freeport I then ran to Northern Desert of Ro, Oasis of Marr, Southern Ro then Innothule Swamp. Oh I got killed also because I cannot  make myself invisible some orcs killed me on the orc highway but this time I had bound myself in Freeport got a kind soul to bind me so it was not as bad with my second death.

Don't forget to get to the boat I had to run from Greater Faydark to Buthcherblock Mountains too to get to the docks.

Now that is a difficult thing to do when you don't have a lot of time to play not to mention the experience I lost and the frustration I felt while I waited for the boat. I am really rethinking playing a class that cannot bind and gate.

Vanilla WoW is peanuts compared to that.

Sorry I meant Upper Guk not Lower Guk but the entrance for both is from Innothule Swamp so same difference.
    Post edited by cheyane on
    GaxusnGdemamisschrupp
    Chamber of Chains
  • forcelimaforcelima Member UncommonPosts: 232
    @Avarix just let it go he is MMORPG.com's resident parade pisser's unless it's Trion then he is the resident fanboy
  • HorusraHorusra Member EpicPosts: 4,411
    cheyane said:
    WoW was never hard I tell you I was playing a High Elf Paladin on Project 1999 and someone offered to take me to Lower Guk and I went of course happily forgetting I was bound in Greater Faydark.

Guess what ??? I died in Lower Guk and I had a deusy of a time going all the way back to get my corpse because unfortunately at the time I needed a port there were no high levels about so I took a boat which I had to wait for 20 minutes real time and that is considered lucky because I think it takes 40 minutes for a round trip. When I reached Freeport I then ran to Northern Desert of Ro, Oasis of Marr, Southern Ro then Innothule Swamp. Oh I got killed also because I cannot  make myself invisible some orcs killed me on the orc highway but this time I had bound myself in Freeport got a kind soul to bind me so it was not as bad with my second death.

Don't forget to get to the boat I had to run from Greater Faydark to Buthcherblock Mountains too to get to the docks.

Now that is a difficult thing to do when you don't have a lot of time to play not to mention the experience I lost and the frustration I felt while I waited for the boat. I am really rethinking playing a class that cannot bind and gate.

When did tedium become difficulty?
    Iselindeniter[Deleted User]
  • btdtbtdt Member RarePosts: 523
    DMKano said:

Do people even realize that Blizzcon is actually a sales presentation?
    And every other avenue out there to mention a game is not?  Everything is a sales presentation.  Everything.

1.  Those who played vanilla before KNOW vanilla thus it can never be the same experience for them as it is for someone who has never played it.

2.  Those who have never played vanilla have access to the wealth of information on the game thus it will not be the same experience either.

It can never be vanilla again, but it is an opportunity for people to experience content that they otherwise would have no access to.

One thing is for sure, it will be one damn popular game when it does get released, for the same reason every other game gets flooded at release...  I know my sister-in-law doesn't care if it becomes a ghost town in a month because quite frankly, what game doesn't become a ghost town in short order.

If you even step one foot into the game, you have made it a worthwhile endeavor for Blizzard.  A lot of people say what they will never do... but since no one is policing them on that, they are free to actually do the opposite and most of them do... if for no other reason than to affirm their beliefs.
    edited November 2017
    Horusra said:
    cheyane said:

It was tedious and difficult because much of the area I had to go through to get to my corpse had mobs of a higher level than I was. Something can be tedious and difficult.

Tedium means boring, monotonous,wearisome and it was all that the trip but it was also scary for me to try to run past mobs that could kill me in one hit like the giant in Oasis I think that I skirted round. That was heart pounding so not all tedium. The fact that each step of the way I was afraid of dying again having only my fists to defend myself made it very difficult... if you cannot appreciate that fact I guess you are not attached to the characters you create.
    Chamber of Chains
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Horusra said:
    cheyane said:

It gets confused as that around here all the time.

I enjoy challenging fights. Spending a lot of time getting to those fights, or corpse runs are boring.

OTOH, getting to a dungeon instantly, as in lobby games, is not really the solution either because it kills the sense that you're in a world.

There's got to be a happy medium between those.
    HorusraGdemami[Deleted User]
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• AntariousAntarious Member UncommonPosts: 2,834
    Personally.. I am just waiting to see the actual details of what Blizzard plans to do.  In all honesty when WoW launched I only played 30 or 60 days at first.  This wasn't anything to do with the game as much as a guild I joined.  The GM wanted to level cap in the first 30 days because they were on vacation and then would have very little free time.  The guy was like an encyclopedia of everything...  and quite frankly after being made to run various places over and over until everyone in our group had every item (many of them being out leveled by the time they dropped) I was done.

So I will likely give classic a shot and see if I enjoy it more playing differently.  I originally didn't go back to WoW until BC launched...

However, to be fair I was also playing Star Wars Galaxies which I enjoyed far more to begin with.  That won't be an issue this time around obviously.
    Iselin said:
    Horusra said:
    cheyane said:

I enjoy challenging fights. Spending a lot of time getting to those fights, or corpse runs are boring.

OTOH, getting to a dungeon instantly, as in lobby games, is not really the solution either because it kills the sense that you're in a world.

So is vanilla WoW is more difficult than what I described and corpse runs were difficult if you could not get past mobs that can kill you to get to your corpse .
    Chamber of Chains
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    edited November 2017
    cheyane said:
    Iselin said:
    Horusra said:
    cheyane said:

So is vanilla WoW is more difficult than what I described and corpse runs were difficult if you could not get past mobs that can kill you to get to your corpse .
    Well as I recall, vanilla WOW always had very quick corpse runs that you did as an invulnerable ghost starting from a graveyard near where you died. The increased difficulty had more to do with mobs being tougher to solo in some areas so you did occasionally die... unlike modern WOW where it's really tough to die anywhere other than PVP.
    MadFrenchie
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• HorusraHorusra Member EpicPosts: 4,411
    cheyane said:
    Iselin said:
    Horusra said:
    cheyane said:

It was difficult because you made it so.  Go in WoW to the end zones when level 10 and you get the same effect.
    cheyane
  • GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342
    cheyane said:
    WoW was never hard I tell you I was playing a High Elf Paladin on Project 1999 
    Good to know you have a penis...?
    edited November 2017
    Horusra said:
    cheyane said:
    Iselin said:
    Horusra said:
    cheyane said:

It was difficult because you made it so.  Go in WoW to the end zones when level 10 and you get the same effect.
    What do you mean? Upper Guk is not end zones. There are mobs for my level which was 12 or 13 I think ,think I lost 13 well  what I mean is Lower Guk is not end zone. I never made it difficult because people often forget where they are bound and having a druid teleport me to Southern Ro initially made going to Upper Guk easy.

People go to these places for experience because it is easy to get groups there. Travelling is one of the challenges in Everquest. You often had to go through hard zones to get to places to get experience and dying is not only possible it happens very frequently.

It is not only common for people to shout for ports asking for help when they have no money or weapons at lower levels when they died in other zones but often you can be really far away like several continents away. You just get caught up in the fun and happiness of joining people for some hard earned experience. Zones are like that EQ.

You never played Everquest obviously if you think Upper Guk is end zone.

I made a mistake I meant Upper Guk not Lower Guk but they are both accessed through Innothule swamp. My point is a game like WoW is dreadfully easy even in Vanilla  you never actually had that much of a problem getting to places as there were griffins and  other modes of transport like mounts. I am surprised people think vanilla WoW was a difficult game.

Also when you die in WoW you spawn in spirit form near a graveyard near where you died not several continents away and you are in no danger going back to get your corpse. There is no such thing as a bind point respawn making getting back to your body easy and you can also take the durability hit by rezzing at the graveyard.
    Post edited by cheyane on
    Chamber of Chains