Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Classic wow will make noobs cry

Comments

• kabitoshinkabitoshin Member UncommonPosts: 854
    Amjoco said:
    Does anyone know if this will be developed with the older engine or the updated Legion version with newer models? 
    The only confirmed thing is that it's happening, nothing other than that is confirmed,
  • AmjocoAmjoco Member UncommonPosts: 4,860
    Amjoco said:
    Does anyone know if this will be developed with the older engine or the updated Legion version with newer models? 
    The only confirmed thing is that it's happening, nothing other than that is confirmed,
    Ok thanks for your input. I'm kinda torn between either choices I asked about. I would like to see the old hardcore servers running, but I like the newer smoother look too. 

Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.

• Dagon13Dagon13 Member UncommonPosts: 566
    I miss getting mauled by bears in Darkwood, which took me weeks to actually progress through.  Planning my path through mob camps just to survive.  I miss hunter sniper shot :).

Most of all, I miss the times when stats weren't unnecessarily inflated to absurd values.

I also really miss my blood elf paladin from BC, which is probably heresy to vanilla purists but it does raise a question.  Are these straight up vanilla servers or are they actually progression servers?
  • AmjocoAmjoco Member UncommonPosts: 4,860
    Dagon13 said:
    I miss getting mauled by bears in Darkwood, which took me weeks to actually progress through.  Planning my path through mob camps just to survive.  I miss hunter sniper shot :).

Most of all, I miss the times when stats weren't unnecessarily inflated to absurd values.

I also really miss my blood elf paladin from BC, which is probably heresy to vanilla purists but it does raise a question.  Are these straight up vanilla servers or are they actually progression servers?
    Well seeing how Blizzard is all about making some gold, I would think progressive servers would be launched. 

Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.

• KnightFalzKnightFalz Member EpicPosts: 4,166
    Rhoklaw said:
    DMKano said:
    The noobs will probably like it.

when nostalgia wears off the vets will be leaving in droves.

The thing with classic servers - for majority they are a flash in the pan, because after a couple of weeks the feeling "I've done all this before" hits you hard.

It will be interesting to see how long people last on classic servers before quitting, because deja-vu is cool at first, but fades fast.

You've been using that argument nonstop in almost every thread, but I don't see where you are coming up with your ultimate wisdom. I keep telling you every time, EQ, DAoC, EMU server galore have proven people enjoy games that aren't dumbed down.
    His wisdom comes from common sense. All those severs galore for all these games have a combined total population that is minuscule compared to the MMORPG market overall.

There is an audience for this type of game, but not much of one. That it is vocal as all get out, especially on game forums, doesn't change it from being niche.
  • AvarixAvarix Member RarePosts: 665
    Gotta love it. I say I want classic/legacy servers, and the response is something extremely condescending: You think you do, but you don't. Rose-colored glasses have tarnished your reality.

Which is complete shit. Thanks, but no thanks, for telling me what I really want and enjoy.
  • NeblessNebless Member RarePosts: 1,835
    edited November 2017
    Question from an outsider looking in.  Is Blizzard starting up a Classic Server because they know interest is slipping in thier newer stuff?  Or is it a money grab?  Just trying to make some money on a 'flash in the pan' idea?

One of the above comments talked about how the Vets will do it for awhile and then leave which says money grab to me and others say it will be for the niche group of WoW players which says people not liking their new stuff.

Not trying to start a war or anything, just interested on what the thinking is.

SWG (pre-cu) - AoC (pre-f2p) - PotBS (pre-boarder) - DDO - LotRO (pre-f2p) - STO (pre-f2p) - GnH (beta tester) - SWTOR - Neverwinter

• Solar_ProphetSolar_Prophet Member EpicPosts: 1,960
    1. Content gaps that have to be filled with hours of mindless grinding.
    2. Having to find quest objectives with nothing more than a very vague and sometimes misleading text description. 
    3. Long treks across the same areas over and over and over again.
    4. Standing in the capitol LFG for hours, finally finding one, traveling all the way to the dungeon / raid, then having the group fall apart five minutes later. Repeat process. 
    5. Spending weeks grinding for fire resist gear just to have a very small chance of getting into a Molten Core raid.
    6. Running dungeons dozens of times without getting a single piece of loot. 
    7. Ignoring the existence of multiple zones due to a complete lack of content within them. 
    8. Having gathering nodes stolen out from under you constantly. 
    9. Hunters having to buy / craft ammo and feed pets. 
    10. Hunters rolling on EVERYTHING. 
    11. People begging mages for water and portals constantly. 
    12. Vanilla Barrens and Barrens chat. 

I'm sure I'm forgetting a few things, but that sums up my experiences with Vanilla pretty well. Can't say I miss it, because I'm not a masochist. 
    SteelhelmKyleran

AN' DERE AIN'T NO SUCH FING AS ENUFF DAKKA, YA GROT! Enuff'z more than ya got an' less than too much an' there ain't no such fing as too much dakka. Say dere is, and me Squiggoff'z eatin' tonight!

We are born of the blood. Made men by the blood. Undone by the blood. Our eyes are yet to open. FEAR THE OLD BLOOD. 

#IStandWithVic

• ConstantineMerusConstantineMerus Member EpicPosts: 3,338
    DMKano said:
    Iselin said:
    It would be interesting for me to see how much I have changed over the years. I went to WOW at release after spending a few years in DAoC and then taking a break from MMOs for a while.

I found it ridiculously easy and full of conveniences I had never seen in DaoC :)

But I'm probably just as spoiled by the new MMOs these days as most everyone else.

It'll be fun to check out just for that reason.

You can just go play P99 right now if you want to check your own level of "spoiled by new MMOs" ;)
    I did and I appreciated things that I didn't fully appreciate back then and things annoyed me that never did before.
    [Deleted User]
    Constantine, The Console Poster

• "One of the most difficult tasks men can perform, however much others may despise it, is the invention of good games and it cannot be done by men out of touch with their instinctive selves." - Carl Jung
  • HarikenHariken Member EpicPosts: 2,680
    mikuniman said:
    Pay a sub for a 13 year old game yeah right, should be free. Wow is the king of rehashing old content wrapping it up as something new. From someone who played a month after launch and years after, nty. Most of the changes were for the better I definitely didn't want to play vanilla for 13 years. I give a vets a few weeks of it to find that out. New players, well they wouldn't know anything else.
    I bet all these people that played on classic servers weren't paying a sub.fee. Blizzard will have two Wow games with 15 a month sub.fees and rake in the money.
  • ThaneThane Member EpicPosts: 3,534
    wl if they go pure classic, i already wish my server alot of fun with my stunlock rogue :)

"I'll never grow up, never grow up, never grow up! Not me!"

• ChicagoCubChicagoCub Member UncommonPosts: 381
    The MMO industry is in very sad shape indeed if we're looking to Classic Wow for a challenge.
    Cryolitycal
  • DrunkWolfDrunkWolf Member RarePosts: 1,701
    when those rose colored glasses wear off its going to be the vets crying and leaving. when they find out they arnt a kid anymore and dont have time to sit there for 12 hours trying to do a 40 man raid because now they have to go to work the next day, or have a wife and kid bitching at them the whole time.
    CelciusSteelhelmGyva02RidelynnHarikenCryolitycal
  • CelciusCelcius Member RarePosts: 1,868
    edited November 2017
    rush1984 said:
    Name 5 things that will make the wotlk'ers and onwards spit their dummies out if they play classic wow when the server launches.

I'l go first 

1. No lfg 
    2. No heirlooms
    3. Running everywhere
    4. Having to drink mana water
    5. Having to use CC

I can think of more can you? 
    To be fair, 3 of those things are still a thing. CC is still used, but only at the start of an expansion and in PvP / solo open world content. You still have to run everywhere in current content. Flying mounts are only really available once the content becomes irrelevant. You still have to drink / eat sometimes.

The main one you pointed out is big though, no lfg that is..

There is also:

Leveling weapon skills
    Grinding gold for epic mount taking months
    Even more cookie cutter talent builds then modern WoW. (Yeah the choices aren't very interesting, but we have choice)
    The only real PvP experience is CTF.
    Forced boat, Tram, and Zepplin rides.
    Spamming chat for groups for anything.
    Only 3 end game dungeons. 
    40 man raiding...
    Forced rep grinds
    Forced grinding for resist gear
    Deciding who gets HWL or GM this week and all the drama surrounding the old honor system
    Massive amounts of class imbalances.
    The only tank being a warrior.
    Hybrid dps classes being garbage.
    No quest tracking outside your quest log.
    Having to visit your class trainer constantly.
    Nothing to do in the open world but grind single creature types for hours. 
    Training skill ranks
    PvPer best gear was raid gear..

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855
    "Classic wow will make noobs cry"

Good!
    Gyva02
    DMKano said:

The thing with classic servers - for majority they are a flash in the pan, because after a couple of weeks the feeling "I've done all this before" hits you hard.

It will be interesting to see how long people last on classic servers before quitting, because deja-vu is cool at first, but fades fast.

I think the ""I've done all this before" hits you hard." thing is what happened over the past 10 years when all the imitators came in and just handed out the "EZ Mode WoW Clone" stuff that had players max level in a week.

Now players who want to stand out, will have to earn it....
    At least that's my hope. But I can't imagine Blizz not recreating this to include RMT.
    mcrippins said:
    Having to manage soul shards and soul shard bags. Same with ammo pouches for hunters.
    And Totems for Shaman....Everyone had to manage stuff. It's the way the game worked.
  • zaberfangxzaberfangx Member UncommonPosts: 1,796
    edited November 2017
    Hariken said:
    mikuniman said:
    Pay a sub for a 13 year old game yeah right, should be free. Wow is the king of rehashing old content wrapping it up as something new. From someone who played a month after launch and years after, nty. Most of the changes were for the better I definitely didn't want to play vanilla for 13 years. I give a vets a few weeks of it to find that out. New players, well they wouldn't know anything else.
    I bet all these people that played on classic servers weren't paying a sub.fee. Blizzard will have two Wow games with 15 a month sub.fees and rake in the money.
    With server cost and maintenance Blizzard does not rake in the money on WoW alone. $15 a month fee it's a old fee and dollar after few years is worth a bit less things like server cost and maintenace go's up. That why they have a cash shop and other things they sell. If they bring in Classic WoW server Blizzard is losing money on it so they doing it some how with out making a profit.

Post edited by zaberfangx on
  • Gyva02Gyva02 Member RarePosts: 499
    Tiller said:
    DMKano said:

Pretty much. It will be a cool museum to visit, but once you seen all there is to see, no need to stay.
    Roll on a PVP server, when there's no more PVE content you then have the human content to always play :) 
  • ArezonArezon Member UncommonPosts: 282
    The aspects of Vanilla I'm remember:

1. Hunters needed to carry arrows/bullets which took bag space (there were no quivers/pouches)
    2. Warlocks needed soul shards that took bag space
    3. You had to level your weapons/proficiency (I forget what the cap was)

• CelciusCelcius Member RarePosts: 1,868
    edited November 2017
    Gyva02 said:
    Tiller said:
    DMKano said:

Pretty much. It will be a cool museum to visit, but once you seen all there is to see, no need to stay.
    Roll on a PVP server, when there's no more PVE content you then have the human content to always play :) 
    Or just play one of the free hundreds of competitive only games that are better then oldschool MMO PvP ;P 
  • forcelimaforcelima Member UncommonPosts: 232
    edited November 2017
    Celcius said:
    Gyva02 said:
    Tiller said:
    DMKano said:

Or just play one of the free hundreds of competitive only games that are better then oldschool MMO PvP ;P 

I see the usual parade pisser's are alive and well in this thread.

Kyleran
  • Gyva02Gyva02 Member RarePosts: 499
    Celcius said:
    Gyva02 said:
    Tiller said:
    DMKano said:

I hear being a forum warrior can be pretty fun and rewarding for some... 
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    1. Content gaps that have to be filled with hours of mindless grinding.
    2. Having to find quest objectives with nothing more than a very vague and sometimes misleading text description. 
    3. Long treks across the same areas over and over and over again.
    4. Standing in the capitol LFG for hours, finally finding one, traveling all the way to the dungeon / raid, then having the group fall apart five minutes later. Repeat process. 
    5. Spending weeks grinding for fire resist gear just to have a very small chance of getting into a Molten Core raid.
    6. Running dungeons dozens of times without getting a single piece of loot. 
    7. Ignoring the existence of multiple zones due to a complete lack of content within them. 
    8. Having gathering nodes stolen out from under you constantly. 
    9. Hunters having to buy / craft ammo and feed pets. 
    10. Hunters rolling on EVERYTHING. 
    11. People begging mages for water and portals constantly. 
    12. Vanilla Barrens and Barrens chat. 

I'm sure I'm forgetting a few things, but that sums up my experiences with Vanilla pretty well. Can't say I miss it, because I'm not a masochist. 
    Kind of weird, most of these are either hyperbolic negative examples or actually considered as a positive in my memory.

GeezerGamer

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    Arezon said:
    The aspects of Vanilla I'm remember:

1. Hunters needed to carry arrows/bullets which took bag space (there were no quivers/pouches)
    2. Warlocks needed soul shards that took bag space
    3. You had to level your weapons/proficiency (I forget what the cap was)

Hunters had quivers/pouches iirc, ones that increased attack speed.