Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Classic wow will make noobs cry

Comments

• MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 9,196

The thing with classic servers - for majority they are a flash in the pan, because after a couple of weeks the feeling "I've done all this before" hits you hard.

This is why I never even tried Lineage 2 Classic when it came out because I had no interest in doing what I had already did before. 

What keeps people playing mmos is the sense of wonder of whats next. When you already know whats next your passion to log on will fade. 

I have never played WoW so I might try it. 
  • Branko2307Branko2307 Member UncommonPosts: 346
    Rhoklaw said:
    cheyane said:
    I think what he is saying is there will be a decent number but that there would be a large drop off after the initial surge in population. It is true I also think the servers will drop off and it will have a population but nowhere close to the number that try it initially and there will be a steady population that will stay.

However WoW has one advantage over the Project 1999 server in that end game content is not locked up by a few guilds making it impossible for others to enjoy the end game raids. In this respect the server will not be full of people so fed up once they reach top level .

People playing a game with no end game raid instances must accept that they will never see the end game content and be satisfied with that. I have when I originally played Everquest got even my epic so that aspect is not going to upset me but surely not everyone is happy with that.

DMKano is not wrong and anyway the proof is in the pudding we just have to wait.
    Except the private WoW servers beg to differ. I'm not sure how much evidence you need to realize, Classic WoW servers have been desired for a while now. Not to mention a lot of people that thought about private servers did not like the idea of servers going bye bye and losing all their progression. Than again, everyone making these claims were also the same people that said Blizzard would never make a WoW Classic server and guess what, it happened.
    You hit the nail right on the head here, people were playing Vanilla private server since TBC and they were allways full, salty ppl that never belived it would come are now trying to recover some of their lost ego by bashing it, too bad they are as bad at bashing it as they are bad at predictions.
    SteelhelmNilden

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Holy Flamin' Frost-Brand Gronk-Slayin' Vorpal Hammer o' Woundin' an' Returnin' an' Shootin'-Lightnin'-Out-Yer-Bum!! ~Planescape: Torment~

• ShodanasShodanas Member RarePosts: 1,933
    edited November 2017
    rush1984 said:
    Name 5 things that will make the wotlk'ers and onwards spit their dummies out if they play classic wow when the server launches.

I'l go first 

1. No lfg 
    2. No heirlooms
    3. Running everywhere
    4. Having to drink mana water
    5. Having to use CC

I can think of more can you? 
    I guess that you missed the point where Hazzikostas stated that WoW Classic will stand upon the modern WoW infrastructure. With everything that implies.
    VorpalChicken28KyleranSteelhelm
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    Having to do  meaningless quests to get a level and experience towards your class/skills.

Wrong game design if trying to portray a ROLE playing game.

No lfg?? lol since when do you need a group to do solo quests?It only became a thing when players were done with quests and just raided 24/7,so at no point does the immersive part of the game ever act like a role playing game.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• VorpalChicken28VorpalChicken28 Member UncommonPosts: 348
    DMKano said:
    Rhoklaw said:
    cheyane said:
    I think what he is saying is there will be a decent number but that there would be a large drop off after the initial surge in population. It is true I also think the servers will drop off and it will have a population but nowhere close to the number that try it initially and there will be a steady population that will stay.

However WoW has one advantage over the Project 1999 server in that end game content is not locked up by a few guilds making it impossible for others to enjoy the end game raids. In this respect the server will not be full of people so fed up once they reach top level .

People playing a game with no end game raid instances must accept that they will never see the end game content and be satisfied with that. I have when I originally played Everquest got even my epic so that aspect is not going to upset me but surely not everyone is happy with that.

DMKano is not wrong and anyway the proof is in the pudding we just have to wait.
    Except the private WoW servers beg to differ. I'm not sure how much evidence you need to realize, Classic WoW servers have been desired for a while now. Not to mention a lot of people that thought about private servers did not like the idea of servers going bye bye and losing all their progression. Than again, everyone making these claims were also the same people that said Blizzard would never make a WoW Classic server and guess what, it happened.
    You hit the nail right on the head here, people were playing Vanilla private server since TBC and they were allways full, salty ppl that never belived it would come are now trying to recover some of their lost ego by bashing it, too bad they are as bad at bashing it as they are bad at predictions.

They were free to play.

Go slap a $15 monthly on those servers and see how full they are.
    Yeah, Daybreak slapped a $15 on playing their progression servers and surprise surprise, they were pretty much full, kinda blows your argument out of the water
    [Deleted User]Nilden
    “Nevertheless, the human brain, which survives by hoping from one second to another, will always endeavor to put off the moment of truth. Moist” 
    ― Terry PratchettMaking Money
  • Leguma11Leguma11 Member UncommonPosts: 32
    If the feeling of 'I have done all of this before' and 'I have experienced better gameplay from Raving Rabbits'  doesn't hit you then ... I'm so sorry to say ... you sir are a MemberBerry ... 

A form a RetroFuk * people living in the past cause it to hard to accept change or to want something new and fresh .

I played WoW Vanilla - And I liked it ....................................IN 2004 ! I SINCE THEN I MATURED AND SO DID MY TASTES IN GAMING ! -  YOU LIKE RETRO GAMING SO MUCH BOOOT UP PONG YA DUMBASSes ..... 

I swear , I had so meany arguments about this shit behavior .... Don't you want something NEW , IMMERSIVE , NICE GRAPHICS , A  STORY THATS ACTUALLY INTERESTING - Nothing of what I said are present in your ... 2004 WoW Vanilla ..... 

I know we all have different tastes ... but wanting wow classic is just borderline insane .... Yeah I want to relive the experience of pressing 1-2-3-4-5-6-7 to kill the X so that Y won't drop cause ( Vanilla wow ) Also we all know how IMMERSIVE and GOOD LOOKING Vanilla WoW is .... you could look past the Visuals if it at least had some interesting GAMEPLAY .... 

I don't know whats wrong with you people .... But I know its your Mentality that the Devs profit off ... Ohhh they will gobble up the same game released 10 years ago Muahahahhah Memberberrys !! ....

Just like Secret World Legends .... Same tactic ... Hey its 'NEW ' and 'UPDATED' :))) ...... Must be so sad to have such low standards for FUN ! .... But I guess working at a job where you 'grind' / do the same thing - you can't wait to get into a game and grind/do the same thing again :)

Have Phun you sad peeps .....

XarkoKyleranShaigh[Deleted User]Gobstopper3D[Deleted User]SteelhelmGorweGyva02
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    edited November 2017
    Whew, good thing the "mature" gamers finally arrived to post here.

LULZ.

;)
    VorpalChicken28ConstantineMerusGobstopper3DBranko2307

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
    edited November 2017
    DMKano said:
    DMKano said:
    Rhoklaw said:
    cheyane said:

They were free to play.

Go slap a $15 monthly on those servers and see how full they are.
    Yeah, Daybreak slapped a $15 on playing their progression servers and surprise surprise, they were pretty much full, kinda blows your argument out of the water

Umm they were - go look how full they are now.

Put all the progression servers together at peak time Sat and Sun night - Agnarr is the only one showing high.

1 server - yeap - so much for high popularity, as ab EQ1 server holds less than 4000 players.

Super popular....

Meanwhile P99 still has about 4-6K players at peak. Again - the numbers are SMALL

Also my argument stands - as my argument is puttinflg a  price on servers that are currently FREE, so a huge % of players wouldn drop if that happened which is true.
    Altho i agree 100% that a sub on the pirate servers , would no doubt cause numbers to drop ..

I also think that , and this relative to your EQ estimates .. but if EQ can support 2 classic servers and EQ has literally 1% of the following and fanbase of Wow , Wow should be able to sustain at least 6-10 classic servers ...Most likely substantially more than that ...
    VorpalChicken28
  • Viper482Viper482 Member LegendaryPosts: 4,064
    Actually needing a healer and tank
    Make MMORPG's Great Again!
  • KellerKeller Member UncommonPosts: 602
    My mailbox has exploded since Friday. Email is so 2004, I know. However around 20 old friends and guildmates will return to play on Classic Server. Most of them bring their wife/husband, children, grandchildren or nephews/nieces. So that's 30+ paying players. Our old guild can't be alone in this. Then there's a good chunk of players who never got the chance to play Vanilla. The twitch slaves, players who follow the hype. How can anyone think there will not be enough players interested in Classic Servers and willingly to pay a subscription? 

We all know gameplay was not that special. We all know it will be a trip down memory lane. Yet we remember the good side about Vanilla, friendships & playing together. Maybe after 3 months most of us will be gone again, but Blizzard will have their investment covered plus some healthy profit to show the shareholders. Meanwhile World of Warcraft is making the headlines, people are talking about it again. People are excited. Can't remember the last time a MMO created such a buzz. Can't think of any other MMO I want to play in release state.

Nilden[Deleted User]Branko2307
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    It would be interesting for me to see how much I have changed over the years. I went to WOW at release after spending a few years in DAoC and then taking a break from MMOs for a while.

I found it ridiculously easy and full of conveniences I had never seen in DaoC :)

But I'm probably just as spoiled by the new MMOs these days as most everyone else.

It'll be fun to check out just for that reason.
    [Deleted User]
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• zaberfangxzaberfangx Member UncommonPosts: 1,796
    rush1984 said:
    Name 5 things that will make the wotlk'ers and onwards spit their dummies out if they play classic wow when the server launches.

I'l go first 

1. No lfg 
    2. No heirlooms
    3. Running everywhere
    5. Having to use CC

Can't forget the players that find them self not noob will complain. That Blizzard not doing more to bring people in so they can fill up the ranks for old time raiding. If nothing change with the game on the base system.
  • FlyByKnightFlyByKnight Member EpicPosts: 3,967
    edited November 2017
    Didn't millions of people play vanilla WoW?
    Why do people act like old MMORPGs are some special survival story that no other human is capable of enduring?

I never played WoW because I didn't have a gaming PC wasn't aware of them. When I did fall into this space it was a bit too late to go back and try. Now that they're bringing back Vanilla (with quality of life fixes I'm SURE) I'm actually interested in trying it out and seeing what the hoopla was about. I'm also interested in researching where "Go back to WoW" originates.

If it was such a great game and such a testament to human intestinal fortitude why is it used as an insult? Also will there be Vanilla PVP servers?

"As far as the forum code of conduct, I would think it's a bit outdated and in need of a refre *CLOSED*" 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • XarkoXarko Member EpicPosts: 1,180
    with quality of life fixes I'm SURE)
    b-but broken talent trees and are huge part of vanilla experience!
  • MultibyteMultibyte Member UncommonPosts: 128
    This will be great. Never mind the doomsayers who are mostly the same people who have been claiming for years that this would never happen.

Of course it will not be millions of players, but it will be enough to sustain a fun vanilla experience. The success of some private servers, the fact that the enthusiasm has not disappeared over so many years show it will be at least reasonably successful. To top it all, the fact that Blizzard decided to bring back Vanilla after resisting the idea for years clearly indicates they finally came to the conclusion that there was enough persistent enthusiasm among fan base that justified doing it.

And my list of what will make a spoiled player cry:

1- Accountability, the consequences of having a good or bad reputation
    2- Having to travel which can take a lot of time especially if you are traveling across continents
    3- The time it takes to level
    4- Being unable to gather 2507845 mobs around and just nuke them
    5- Crafting providing actually useful items

• rush1984rush1984 Member UncommonPosts: 371
    Xarko said:
    Xarko said:
    more like actual talent tree's, unlike what we have now 
    sure there is the cookie cutter builds but its so much better the old way
    Steelhelm
  • NildenNilden Member EpicPosts: 3,916
    DMKano said:
    rush1984 said:
    DMKano said:
    The noobs will probably like it.

when nostalgia wears off the vets will be leaving in droves.

The thing with classic servers - for majority they are a flash in the pan, because after a couple of weeks the feeling "I've done all this before" hits you hard.

It will be interesting to see how long people last on classic servers before quitting, because deja-vu is cool at first, but fades fast.

But thousands played on private servers like nos me included for very long time 60 priest 60 hunter 60 druid , and I still think it' best mmorpg around and I first played wow early 2005

And those thousands are representative of a minority. 

What % of 12million players will play classic servers at all? 

What % will play for more than 1 month? 3months? 6?

You are going to find very rapidly dwindling numbers as time goes on
    Actually over 100 million have played WoW over the years if even 1% (lowball number) come back that's a million players.

http://observationdeck.kinja.com/100-million-people-have-played-world-of-warcraft-and-o-1510870045

Let's be real this is the 800 lbs gorilla here. People are going to come in droves.

GdemamiSteelhelm

"You CAN'T buy ships for RL money." - MaxBacon

"classification of games into MMOs is not by rational reasoning" - nariusseldon

Love Minecraft. And check out my Youtube channel OhCanadaGamer

Try a MUD today at http://www.mudconnect.com/ 

• Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    I still have one or two characters with two letter names from vanilla before they imposed the at least three character for names rule.  Those were some fun times but half of the fun was the newness of it all and exploring areas for the first time then grinding through them to get to the next.

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• XarkoXarko Member EpicPosts: 1,180
    rush1984 said:
    Xarko said:
    more like actual talent tree's, unlike what we have now 
    sure there is the cookie cutter builds but its so much better the old way
    I dont even know how it works now, I quit mid MoP. In vanilla though the spec werent exactly "cookie cutter", people all used the same build not because it was the best, but because it was the only spec that somewhat worked.

Take paladin for example. Retri was an autoattack build relying on pure RNG to do any sort of dmg (pretty hilarious when RNGesus smiled upon you). Protection? What a mess. Also hilarious at times in 1v1 pvp, but you could never dream to tank any kind of raid content with it. Come to think of it, I dont think paladin even had a taunt back then.

From todays view 2 absolutely broken, non functional specs. Paladin was a healer class, because spamming heals and blessing was the only thing that worked reliably to clear the content.

Lets be real, they will probably use early BC talent trees for classic servers.
  • AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    edited November 2017
    rush1984 said:

I'l go first 

1. No lfg 
    2. No heirlooms
    3. Running everywhere
    5. Having to use CC

Lol OP, you listed all of that stuff and it made me excited. Probably gonna have to roll ally though since no Blood Elves, thank god for no pandas though
    SteelhelmGyva02
  • kabitoshinkabitoshin Member UncommonPosts: 854
    Xarko said:
    Should be fun watching dmg warriors/paladins/druids/priests/shamans crying about how nobody wants them in party and raid.

You have no clue about vanilla then,
    Xarko
  • rush1984rush1984 Member UncommonPosts: 371
    I know I love all the things I listed too @Albatroes , i dont think the noobies will though  lol
    Albatroes
  • AmjocoAmjoco Member UncommonPosts: 4,860
    Does anyone know if this will be developed with the older engine or the updated Legion version with newer models? 

Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.

• btdtbtdt Member RarePosts: 523
    DMKano said:
    The noobs will probably like it.

when nostalgia wears off the vets will be leaving in droves.

It will be interesting to see how long people last on classic servers before quitting, because deja-vu is cool at first, but fades fast.

LOL, the flaw with that statement is "I've done this all before"... that describes every incarnation of WoW since vanilla...