Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Classic Servers Announcement - World of Warcraft Game Trailer

Comments

• btdtbtdt Member RarePosts: 523
    People are looking at this from the wrong point of view.

1.  Success or failure is moot.  

If players choose to hop over to a vanilla server instead of dropping their subscription and waiting for some new content on the current servers... Blizzard wins... subscription is a subscription.  

If players choose to hop over to a vanilla server and decide that they don't care for it anymore, Blizzard has convinced these people why they really weren't looking for vanilla WoW.  It redirects them back to the current servers, or away, which would have happened anyway.  So no loss, no foul.

Blizzard is still going to be running servers of SOMETHING.  Blizzard only really cares about the SUBSCRIPTION.  Blizzard has already put time energy and money into bringing older versions of games into the current era with success.  I predict classic WoW will be classic in that the storylines, talent trees, and world will be, content wise, that of classic.  I don't expect the graphics or models to be classic.  I also don't expect the classic version to be ready for a while... it will be in the works, and likely has been in the works for quite some time.

If you really think about it, Blizzard is going to copy their own work.  Copying is far easier and quicker than creating something from out of thin air.  Ask any artist which is more difficult, drawing a exact replica of something or drawing something that doesn't exist anywhere?  I can assure you, copying something is a 1000 times easier.  Other companies try to clone WoW... they take the basic formula and then try to change it... that's designing anew.  In this case, there is no redesign, it's just do. 
    Gdemami
  • BeansnBreadBeansnBread Member EpicPosts: 7,254
    Fuck yeah!
  • SteelhelmSteelhelm Member UncommonPosts: 332

Talking about games where thousands of players exist simultaneously in a single instance and mechanics related to such games.
  • FuryVFuryV Member UncommonPosts: 515
    Pointless.
    SteelhelmKrvavorukiMrMelGibson
  • winghaven1winghaven1 Member RarePosts: 736
    FuryV said:
    What a waste of fucking time.  Stop living in the past.

Are you implying there is a video game that isn't just a waste of time. It's what games are for. Entertainment purposes which is by nature just to make for a good time. You're not meant to be curing cancer or saving the world from some extraterrestrial called Zod. It's a video game and totally different than WoW currently is. But your comment however is definitely a waste of time and so is mine. So thanks for that
  • MardukkMardukk Member RarePosts: 2,222
    FuryV said:
    Pointless.
    Point me the way to all these new MMO's coming out.
  • ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
    Its really exctitng news for all the people that wanted Vanilla , and its great that its in Blizzs hands to bring those folks top notch service they would expect from a WoW game , hell i think im gonna jump in to..   Vanilla was a fun time ..

I also dont think they would announce it without it being just 6-8 months away ...
    [Deleted User][Deleted User]
  • ForgrimmForgrimm Member EpicPosts: 3,059
    Scorchien said:
    Its really exctitng news for all the people that wanted Vanilla , and its great that its in Blizzs hands to bring those folks top notch service they would expect from a WoW game , hell i think im gonna jump in to..   Vanilla was a fun time ..

I also dont think they would announce it without it being just 6-8 months away ...
    It's in the very early stages. Going to be at least a year or more most likely.
  • NegativeJoeNegativeJoe Member UncommonPosts: 213
    less than you think, expect announcement before xmass.
    Gdemami

::::26:: ::::26:: ::::26::

• ForgrimmForgrimm Member EpicPosts: 3,059
    less than you think, expect announcement before xmass.

Executive Producer J. Allen Brack was reluctant to give the publication any specifics on a timetable, saying that the project was just announced, only basic infrastructure is in place, and that the team is forming.

MrMelGibson
  • SteelhelmSteelhelm Member UncommonPosts: 332
    Talking about games where thousands of players exist simultaneously in a single instance and mechanics related to such games.
  • strykr619strykr619 Member UncommonPosts: 283
    They should charge 30-35 dollars a month for the "Classic" experience LOL.
  • MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    edited November 2017
    <sigh> wtb mobile friendly site.

• RedMachine72RedMachine72 Member UncommonPosts: 154
    They already have all the assets to do any server that they want. They have just stayed stubborn up until recently and found out that there are more people that want classic than subs that they have now which is what 5 million. Not anything to sneeze at, just a lot lower and going down compared to what they have done in the past. Actual number is not known as they stopped posting the numbers when they kept going down. If they would just listen to their player base, they would make them as close to vanilla as possible. IF....they decide to add servers per expansion, they need to make them as close to the expansion as possible. This all includes game mechanics, talents, and UI as well.

If they truly revert the game and not just basically cap what you do based on expansion and keep everything just like it is now (mainly the talents), they might start getting my money again after being away since 2015. Joined the fight in 2006 and really miss a lot about those first few years up until LK.
    GdemamiSteelhelm
  • steamtanksteamtank Member UncommonPosts: 391
    xNIAx1 said:
    DMKano said:
    PAL-18 said:
    Now dear Blizzard it is  time to release server list(fast) so we can start theorycrafting which server we pick etc and can start building our guild sites,recruitment etc,thanks in advance.

They are nowhere near "server list" status. They are still in planning stages.

You are probably going to have to wait a year or more
    You seem salty about people being super excited about something. Happiness an issue for you or something? 

That dude is an entire bag of salt thats been thrown in the dead sea, pulled out 80 years later and had salt sprinkled on it.

TacticalZombehMrMelGibsonSteelhelm
  • KonfessKonfess Member RarePosts: 1,667

Arskaaa said:

"to play in classic server u need pay extra 15-30€ each month"

Why? Did you expect it would be FREE?

The ONLY reason Vanilla WoW servers were a hit, is because they were FREE. They said they wanted Vanilla, but what they meant was FREE. I hope there ARE paying customers that will keep this afloat. "Thar she blows!"

"Thar be Whales here!"
    MadFrenchie

Pardon any spelling errors
    Konfess your cyns and some maybe forgiven
    Boy: Why can't I talk to Him?
    Mom: We don't talk to Priests.
    As if it could exist, without being payed for.
    F2P means you get what you paid for. Pay nothing, get nothing.
    Even telemarketers wouldn't think that.
    It costs money to play.  Therefore P2W.

• KonfessKonfess Member RarePosts: 1,667

DMKano said:

For anyone expecting this to be 100% authentic vanilla WoW - you are going to be in for a rude awakening.

This will be Blizzards version of what they deem "classic" so set your expectations straight

Blizzard has the Best People (S.T.E.M.) in the industry. They have probably been working on this for a long time.

Pardon any spelling errors
    Konfess your cyns and some maybe forgiven
    Boy: Why can't I talk to Him?
    Mom: We don't talk to Priests.
    As if it could exist, without being payed for.
    F2P means you get what you paid for. Pay nothing, get nothing.
    Even telemarketers wouldn't think that.
    It costs money to play.  Therefore P2W.

• CelciusCelcius Member RarePosts: 1,865
    Konfess said:

DMKano said:

For anyone expecting this to be 100% authentic vanilla WoW - you are going to be in for a rude awakening.

This will be Blizzards version of what they deem "classic" so set your expectations straight

Blizzard has the Best People (S.T.E.M.) in the industry. They have probably been working on this for a long time.
    Erm, they are not even working on it yet. They have not even hired the team for it..
  • NildenNilden Member EpicPosts: 3,916
    Konfess said:

Arskaaa said:

The ONLY reason Vanilla WoW servers were a hit, is because they were FREE. They said they wanted Vanilla, but what they meant was FREE. I hope there ARE paying customers that will keep this afloat. "Thar she blows!"

"Thar be Whales here!"
    Actually the only reason I played on private servers was because Blizzard did not offer official ones. Now that they will it's going to kill the private servers. People don't play a 13 year old game just because it's free.
    MadFrenchieGdemamiSteelhelm

"You CAN'T buy ships for RL money." - MaxBacon

"classification of games into MMOs is not by rational reasoning" - nariusseldon

Love Minecraft. And check out my Youtube channel OhCanadaGamer

Try a MUD today at http://www.mudconnect.com/ 

• MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    Nilden said:
    Konfess said:

Arskaaa said:

"Thar be Whales here!"
    Actually the only reason I played on private servers was because Blizzard did not offer official ones. Now that they will it's going to kill the private servers. People don't play a 13 year old game just because it's free.
    Specifically not when there are also servers with objectively more content (any of the private ones that had expansion content and were just as free).
    NildenGdemami

• AshluraAshlura Member UncommonPosts: 127
    Too late.
  • ThupliThupli Member RarePosts: 1,318
    Looking forward to them polishing classic. Thank you for listening, blizzard!
    Ashlura said:
    Too late.
    Judging by the excitement of this, I hardly doubt it is too late. Not that I don't think it will be any less of a complete bomb after everyone takes off the rose-tinted glasses, but I always thought that.

Now is just the test to see if these people who claim they want a vanilla WoW server will put their money where there mouth is. 
  • NildenNilden Member EpicPosts: 3,916
    DMKano said:
    Nilden said:
    Konfess said:

Arskaaa said:

"Thar be Whales here!"

They don't - that's not the only reason. However slap a $15+ monthly cost and suddenly guess what - a lot less people are willing to play.

Cost makes a difference - always.
    I would be really interested in the results if someone logged into those emulated vanilla servers and started sending people tells asking if they will be playing on the official servers.
    Gdemami

"You CAN'T buy ships for RL money." - MaxBacon

"classification of games into MMOs is not by rational reasoning" - nariusseldon

Love Minecraft. And check out my Youtube channel OhCanadaGamer

Try a MUD today at http://www.mudconnect.com/ 

edited November 2017
    Celcius said:
    Ashlura said:
    Too late.
    Judging by the excitement of this, I hardly doubt it is too late. Not that I don't think it will be any less of a complete bomb after everyone takes off the rose-tinted glasses, but I always thought that.

Now is just the test to see if these people who claim they want a vanilla WoW server will put their money where there mouth is. 
    They will even the throw back servers for EQ do very well and they are p2p also. In fact they have the biggest populations of almost all the servers. Judging from the response on this Blizzard will need at least a few servers IMO.
    There is a HUGE difference here. WoW is making a Vanilla server. As in, no expansions. This is not a progression server. The draw of the Everquest progression servers is restarting from the beginning, not being forever in that time period. Not to mention that Everquest is a pretty low population game these days. WoW is still the top dog MMO by a long shot. They aren't doing this because they are scraping the bottom of the barrel to get as many old customers back as they can. They are doing this because if you whine loud enough you generally get what you want. (Sadly) They are also doing this because they can do it without having any impact whatsoever on modern day WoW by hiring a new (small) team for this,ect. 

The reason I say it is not too late is more because it was never something that should have happened / should happen to start. I fully expect this to last a very short period of time. People don't keep playing when they run out of content to play. This is not something that will be provided ongoing support short of bug fixes. This is something that will simply "exist" and anyone expecting something like expansions to come out, seasons of it,resets,ect is in for a very rude awakening.