Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Classic Servers Announcement - World of Warcraft Game Trailer

Comments

• kitaradkitarad Member EpicPosts: 4,945
    The graphic update with the vanilla gameplay will make sure the private servers won't be able to compete with them and will justify any charge for the client plus subscription if they decide to do that.

10k people play on the Elysium that's like even if you give a ten multipler  only 100k but millions have played WoW so we might see a huge influx initially but the problems that plagued WoW will drive many away in the end. It will interesting to watch and see and I have no idea how the server will do after a year.
    MrMelGibson

• zaberfangxzaberfangx Member UncommonPosts: 1,777
    DMKano said:
    For anyone expecting this to be 100% authentic vanilla WoW - you are going to be in for a rude awakening.

This will be Blizzards version of what they deem "classic" so set your expectations straight
    I'm going to agree too, and this is not cheap for Blizzard to make. I am sure there is a catch to make their money back as fast they can before it dies down. I be surprise if this is a gift to the wow players with out a cost.
  • DMKanoDMKano Member LegendaryPosts: 20,341
    edited November 2017
    kitarad said:
    The graphic update with the vanilla gameplay will make sure the private servers won't be able to compete with them and will justify any charge for the client plus subscription if they decide to do that.

10k people play on the Elysium that's like even if you give a ten multipler  only 100k but millions have played WoW so we might see a huge influx initially but the problems that plagued WoW will drive many away in the end. It will interesting to watch and see and I have no idea how the server will do after a year.

There are purists who want the exact 100% vanilla as it was back in 2004. So nothing will make them happy.

As far as longevity of "classic" servers, it just has no lasting power compared to original.

The initial influx will be huge, but nostalgia wears off surprisingly fast (2 weeks for vast majority) before realizaion of "ive done this before and now I am bored" kicks in.

Also the speed of how fast players will tear through old content will only shorten the longevity.

The reality for Blizzard here - the money is all going to be made at launch of classic, the dropoff each month will be huge
  • PAL-18PAL-18 Member UncommonPosts: 844
    Now dear Blizzard it is  time to release server list(fast) so we can start theorycrafting which server we pick etc and can start building our guild sites,recruitment etc,thanks in advance.

So, did ESO have a successful launch? Yes, yes it did.By Ryan Getchell on April 02, 2014.
    **On the radar: http://www.cyberpunk.net/ **

• cheyanecheyane Member EpicPosts: 6,155
    edited November 2017
    I loved the trailer almost cried but I pulled myself together....so happy . Because of what happened recently to Elysium and then to The Light's Hope I don't want to play there. There's no guarantee for all the work you put into your characters it is painful when you realise how you can lose it all. You log off happy next day the server is gone so yeah really happy about this and I will pay whatever they ask.
    Nilden
  • CoatedCoated Member UncommonPosts: 473
    This is the best news I've heard on this site in years.
    Nilden
    edited November 2017
    PAL-18 said:
    Now dear Blizzard it is  time to release server list(fast) so we can start theorycrafting which server we pick etc and can start building our guild sites,recruitment etc,thanks in advance.

They are nowhere near "server list" status. They are still in planning stages.

You are probably going to have to wait a year or more
    xNIAx1
  • GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 11,495
    edited November 2017
    tawess said:
    @DMKano I am sure they have stated that the biggest issue is getting that old 2004 code to play nicely with the new server infrastructure
    It is not an issue, it is impossible.

To run a vanilla, they would need entirely separate infrastructure and database, something they are not going to do.

What seems to be their aim is to find a way how to integrate some later game version into current infrastructure and make changes from there - the Pristine realms they talked about in the past.
  • zaberfangxzaberfangx Member UncommonPosts: 1,777
    Gdemami said:
    tawess said:
    @DMKano I am sure they have stated that the biggest issue is getting that old 2004 code to play nicely with the new server infrastructure

To run a vanilla, they would need entirely separate infrastructure and database, something they are not going to do.

What seems to be their aim is to find a way how to integrate some later game version into current infrastructure and make changes from there - the Pristine realms they talked about in the past.
    To keep the cost down I see them using the same infrastructure, same engine. Most likely porting ideas and system from the old game. Then recode it from the ground and up, as the old wow had so many problem they won't keep it 100% same way, like class balance and some other stuff.
    edited November 2017
    Gdemami said:
    tawess said:

Furhermore the auth/account platform integration has drastically changed since 2004.

Even if they stood up a separate 2004 DB with old world and auth servers - they wouldnt be able to pass the platform login tokens (battle.net session) to old 2004 code (not without major rework)

IMO thats the biggest hurdle which is why Blizzard wont be doing 100% authentic Vanilla WoW ever. Period.

• mgilbrtsnmgilbrtsn Member EpicPosts: 3,269
    DMKano said:
    Gdemami said:
    tawess said:

Furhermore the auth/account platform integration has drastically changed since 2004.

Even if they stood up a separate 2004 DB with old world and auth servers - they wouldnt be able to pass the platform login tokens (battle.net session) to old 2004 code (not without major rework)

IMO thats the biggest hurdle which is why Blizzard wont be doing 100% authentic Vanilla WoW ever. Period.

It all depends on how the original coding was done.  If they were smart about it, and Blizzard is pretty smart, they kept excellent documentation and used a modular design framework to be able to isolate and 'fix' what needs fixing.

It will be a challenge for sure, but not impossible.  They have the resources.

Concentrate on enjoying yourself, and not on why I shouldn't enjoy myself.

mgilbrtsn said:
    DMKano said:
    Gdemami said:
    tawess said:

It all depends on how the original coding was done.  If they were smart about it, and Blizzard is pretty smart, they kept excellent documentation and used a modular design framework to be able to isolate and 'fix' what needs fixing.

It will be a challenge for sure, but not impossible.  They have the resources.

The original code was not made to work with current iteration of Blizzards platform. 

Of course they could make it work - but at what cost and effort?

• kjempffkjempff Member RarePosts: 1,616
    I think much depends on what code they base this on. If they take the 2004 code and make it work with the new infrastrucure, it should be no problem creating a exact vanilla experience. If they base on current code and make an emulated experience from that, then it will be a less exact experience (this is what eq progression servers do, and it is for good and for worse a different experience ).

As for population and popularity I think we can also use eq as an example, in percentages. I am not aware of the correct numbers but it is safe to assume that 3/4 of players will not stick around.. For wow numbers that will still be a lot of players.
  • steamtanksteamtank Member UncommonPosts: 391
    edited November 2017
    Myrdynn said:
    cant wait for all day Alterac's again

i did a 16 hour Alterac once start to finish.
    I had so much fun when we finally won. Getting 1 point per kill. Seeing your nemisis guild on the other side log into it after they were done raiding to feed you fresh kill points.

Valholl the undead shadow priest shall rise again!

Raiding vanilla in a group of all warlocks with my shadow dots was hilariously fun.
  • btdtbtdt Member RarePosts: 484
    People are looking at this from the wrong point of view.

1.  Success or failure is moot.  

If players choose to hop over to a vanilla server instead of dropping their subscription and waiting for some new content on the current servers... Blizzard wins... subscription is a subscription.  

If players choose to hop over to a vanilla server and decide that they don't care for it anymore, Blizzard has convinced these people why they really weren't looking for vanilla WoW.  It redirects them back to the current servers, or away, which would have happened anyway.  So no loss, no foul.

Blizzard is still going to be running servers of SOMETHING.  Blizzard only really cares about the SUBSCRIPTION.  Blizzard has already put time energy and money into bringing older versions of games into the current era with success.  I predict classic WoW will be classic in that the storylines, talent trees, and world will be, content wise, that of classic.  I don't expect the graphics or models to be classic.  I also don't expect the classic version to be ready for a while... it will be in the works, and likely has been in the works for quite some time.

If you really think about it, Blizzard is going to copy their own work.  Copying is far easier and quicker than creating something from out of thin air.  Ask any artist which is more difficult, drawing a exact replica of something or drawing something that doesn't exist anywhere?  I can assure you, copying something is a 1000 times easier.  Other companies try to clone WoW... they take the basic formula and then try to change it... that's designing anew.  In this case, there is no redesign, it's just do. 
    Gdemami
  • SedrynTyrosSedrynTyros Member EpicPosts: 2,924
    edited November 2017
    DMKano said:
    "But yeah, the goal is to recreate that exact experience, for better or for worse."

Direct Blizzard quote on WoW Classic.

They have Vanilla code from 2004 in their code repository. They can deploy the exact 2004 version if they wanted to 100% right now.

Read carefully what they said "the goal is to *recreate*... not *use exact code from 2004"

They will be re-creating as in trying to match it as close as possible and thats why it will take a lot ot work to do this.

Also not to toot my own horn - but I know folks @Irvine studio
    They have the code but not all the related assets, so no; they can't just deploy the exact 2004 version right now.  They first need to recreate the lost assets.  They explained all this last year when Nostalrius came to visit them.  It's by no means an easy process for them to recreate vanilla.

The other challenge is integrating the legacy game with their current infrastructure, which will also be labor intensive no doubt.
  • BeansnBreadBeansnBread Member RarePosts: 6,750
    Fuck yeah!
  • SteelhelmSteelhelm Member UncommonPosts: 315

Talking about games where thousands of players exist simultaneously in a single instance and mechanics related to such games.
  • FuryVFuryV Member UncommonPosts: 453
    Pointless.
    SteelhelmKrvavorukiMrMelGibson
  • SedrynTyrosSedrynTyros Member EpicPosts: 2,924
    FuryV said:
    What a waste of fucking time.  Stop living in the past.
    It's not a waste of time if you're having fun.  To each their own.
  • winghaven1winghaven1 Member RarePosts: 693
    FuryV said:
    What a waste of fucking time.  Stop living in the past.

Are you implying there is a video game that isn't just a waste of time. It's what games are for. Entertainment purposes which is by nature just to make for a good time. You're not meant to be curing cancer or saving the world from some extraterrestrial called Zod. It's a video game and totally different than WoW currently is. But your comment however is definitely a waste of time and so is mine. So thanks for that
  • MardukkMardukk Member RarePosts: 2,205
    FuryV said:
    Pointless.
    Point me the way to all these new MMO's coming out.
  • ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 6,563
    Its really exctitng news for all the people that wanted Vanilla , and its great that its in Blizzs hands to bring those folks top notch service they would expect from a WoW game , hell i think im gonna jump in to..   Vanilla was a fun time ..

I also dont think they would announce it without it being just 6-8 months away ...
    drivendawnSedrynTyros
  • ForgrimmForgrimm Member EpicPosts: 2,968
    Scorchien said:
    Its really exctitng news for all the people that wanted Vanilla , and its great that its in Blizzs hands to bring those folks top notch service they would expect from a WoW game , hell i think im gonna jump in to..   Vanilla was a fun time ..

I also dont think they would announce it without it being just 6-8 months away ...
    It's in the very early stages. Going to be at least a year or more most likely.