Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Classic Servers Announcement - World of Warcraft Game Trailer

Comments

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    kitarad said:
    Ghavrigg said:
    Very surprised that they're playing the vanilla card so quickly. Figured they'd wait until the game was on its last legs. 
    Why would they when they can say they are hosting it and they need to make you pay specially for it separately and not part of the WoW subscription so people will pay double to play WoW. Win ,win for them.
    That is all true but I am still surprised, they have been so against the idea in the past that I thought they never would do it no matter if it earn them money or not.
  • Solar_ProphetSolar_Prophet Member EpicPosts: 1,960
    Can't wait for the inevitable tide of tears when people start complaining about how much the game differs between their memories and reality. 

"This isn't vanilla! Vanilla was awesome, and this game sucks! Vanilla wasn't like this! Blizzard screwed it up! They changed stuff!"

Calling it right now. 
    XarkoArskaaa

AN' DERE AIN'T NO SUCH FING AS ENUFF DAKKA, YA GROT! Enuff'z more than ya got an' less than too much an' there ain't no such fing as too much dakka. Say dere is, and me Squiggoff'z eatin' tonight!

We are born of the blood. Made men by the blood. Undone by the blood. Our eyes are yet to open. FEAR THE OLD BLOOD. 

#IStandWithVic

• AlcuinAlcuin Member UncommonPosts: 331

DMKano said:

For anyone expecting this to be 100% authentic vanilla WoW - you are going to be in for a rude awakening.

This will be Blizzards version of what they deem "classic" so set your expectations straight

I'd love for you to be wrong, but I think you're going to be right.

For instance, I can't see them reverting what they call "quality of life" issues:
    - making Hunters need ammo , wait until level 10 to get a pet, have to feed pets, etc.
    - making rogues skill up lock picking
    - having shaman quests for totems
    - making players visit class trainers

We'll see.

• baphametbaphamet Member RarePosts: 3,311
    this is great news! as am ex nost player, i am happy i don't have to play on an illegal server just to enjoy the game i want to play.
  • TweFojuTweFoju Member UncommonPosts: 1,235
    i'll pass, as much as i loved Vanilla and the good memories it bought me, i have grew to love the content as it is right now, i loved BC, WOTLK, up to Cata, and i loved Warlords, though i skipped Legion totally..

for me, Vanilla experience was the players itself, content was second, i doubt the "Classic" server will bring back the memory as the original does, it never will.

So What Now?

• observerobserver Member RarePosts: 3,685
    The novelty will wear off after a couple months. It will most likely be populated by casuals, new players, and guildless players. I wouldn't expect many hardcore players and guilds to move. Most people will stick with their main servers and friends.
  • RenoakuRenoaku Member EpicPosts: 3,157
    edited November 2017
    So whats the real difference between vanilla wow and regular wow??? I like the original game not after burning crusade came out and all the new talents system and all that + I hear bosses were real bosses not this watered down stuff we get in games today?
  • CazrielCazriel Member RarePosts: 419

Arskaaa said:

"to play in classic server u need pay extra 15-30€ each month"

Where does it say that ... What is your source? Is this just speculation?

This is how rumors start, FFS. Nothing says that. Just the post. Which was put in quotes as though it were a quote, which it isn't. Keyrist, didn't "u" give it away?
  • XarkoXarko Member EpicPosts: 1,180
    Renoaku said:
    So whats the real difference between vanilla wow and regular wow??? I like the original game not after burning crusade came out and all the new talents system and all that + I hear bosses were real bosses not this watered down stuff we get in games today?
    It was pretty much the same to be honest, except ordering around 40 people instead of 10-20 had a lot more human error and standing around afking.

As someone who actually raided on weekly basis in vanilla Id describe the experience as nighmare and something I do NOT want to go back into.

I hope they reverse talents to what they were back then, I really do. So all these nostalgia blinded people can try what it was to buff 40 people with 5 min duration blessings one by one, over and over for hours.
    tawess
  • TamanousTamanous Member RarePosts: 3,026

DMKano said:

For anyone expecting this to be 100% authentic vanilla WoW - you are going to be in for a rude awakening.

This will be Blizzards version of what they deem "classic" so set your expectations straight

It will likely be largely patterned off of how private progression servers currently are (or working toward). This means a unified rule set for combat and class balance (like patch 1.12) but content progressed through classic patch release schedules.

It would be more like releasing Wow over again using the last balance adjust patch prior to TBC minus the major content progression. I highly doubt the game will be made into an easy mode experience like live by the tone of the interviews.

You stay sassy!

• Branko2307Branko2307 Member UncommonPosts: 346
    DMKano said:

What the fudge are you on about lol, if this was "Blizzards Classic server" there would be NO server, get a grip dude it will be the exact same Vanilla maybe just a more polished last patch, they finally listened to us, why would they bring something else back. Ur logic is dogbleep.
    Gdemami

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Holy Flamin' Frost-Brand Gronk-Slayin' Vorpal Hammer o' Woundin' an' Returnin' an' Shootin'-Lightnin'-Out-Yer-Bum!! ~Planescape: Torment~

"But yeah, the goal is to recreate that exact experience, for better or for worse."

Direct Blizzard quote on WoW Classic.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Holy Flamin' Frost-Brand Gronk-Slayin' Vorpal Hammer o' Woundin' an' Returnin' an' Shootin'-Lightnin'-Out-Yer-Bum!! ~Planescape: Torment~

• NitemareMMONitemareMMO Member UncommonPosts: 239
    As it isn't unusual for people to not know what they want for majorty of players vanilla will soon become boring. I won't be surprised if server are left half dead only with true hardcore vanilla crowd playing only.

Also wonder if they will be constantly tweaking classes otherwise they will be left in permanent imbalance. During normal epansion/patch progression class balance was in constant flux yet on vanilla they could remain stall.
    XarkoGhavrigg
  • MrMelGibsonMrMelGibson Member EpicPosts: 3,033
    I wonder if the guys that ran the illegal private server (Nos I believe) that Blizzard invited to visit are kicking themselves right now.  Imagine if they didn't throw that tantrum a year ago releasing the private server info online.  I'm betting they would of possibly gotten some awesome new jobs at Blizzard for this project and ongoing support.  Probably the dumbest mistake of their lives.
    XarkoBruceYee
    I wonder if the guys that ran the illegal private server (Nos I believe) that Blizzard invited to visit are kicking themselves right now.  Imagine if they didn't throw that tantrum a year ago releasing the private server info online.  I'm betting they would of possibly gotten some awesome new jobs at Blizzard for this project and ongoing support.  Probably the dumbest mistake of their lives.
    Information wants to be free, yo.

MrMelGibson
  • krgwynnekrgwynne Member UncommonPosts: 119
    I have tried most of the private servers the client they all use is only plays about 80 persent of how vanilla was back then. Unless im remembering it being alot better than it was.
  • XiaokiXiaoki Member EpicPosts: 3,848
    Renoaku said:
    You put WAY too much stock into what people say on the internet about Classic WoW.

Too many of those memories were heavily tinged by nostalgia.

The bosses for the first couple raids were pathetic by today's standards.

The real difficulty of the Classic raids was first and foremost raid bosses not being tested at all(for the first 2 months Ragnaros was literally impossible to beat), managing 40 people(most being dead weight), horrible or broken class mechanics(lets see if they replicate early Protection Paladin) and god awful itemization for gear(everyone gets Spirit, even Warriors).
    XarkoMrMelGibson
  • YaevinduskYaevindusk Member RarePosts: 2,094
    edited November 2017

DMKano said:

I'm hopeful they change a lot of things. People would have been in for a rude awakening going back to Vanilla or trying it for the first time. Much smaller world, continents where level 45+ areas have no quests. Horrid lack of quality of life features that were painstaking at best. And Baron, even after all these years, refusing to drop his pants for you.

The only thing that I remember fondly was the PvP and the title system for it. Though honestly, I think we're paying for this; if you look on mmo-champion, the vast amount of the initial announcement responses have been overwhelmingly negative: http://www.mmo-champion.com/content/7117-BlizzCon-2017-World-of-Warcraft-What-s-Next?#comments

The gameplay streams didn't seem to be all that entertaining, either... though I've only seen a horde one so far. And if they don't go all out and make it so the Horde and Alliance completely dominate their own continent -- taking over the cities and such -- then it's a "why should I bother and why did you do this" thing. We go back to Horde vs. Alliance every other expansion after we have an expansion where we have a universal threat we deal with as a team. If they want a big impact, we should be taking over capital cities and establishing continental warfare.
    Due to frequent travel in my youth, English isn't something I consider my primary language (and thus I obtained quirky ways of writing).  German and French were always easier for me despite my family being U.S. citizens for over a century.  Spanish I learned as a requirement in school, Japanese and Korean I acquired for my youthful desire of anime and gaming (and also work now).  I only debate in English to help me work with it (and limit things).  In addition, I'm not smart enough to remain fluent in everything and typically need exposure to get in the groove of things again if I haven't heard it in a while.  If you understand Mandarin, I know a little, but it has actually been a challenge and could use some help.

Also, I thoroughly enjoy debates and have accounts on over a dozen sites for this.  If you wish to engage in such, please put effort in a post and provide sources -- I will then do the same with what I already wrote (if I didn't) as well as with my responses to your own.  Expanding my information on a subject makes my stance either change or strengthen the next time I speak of it or write a thesis.  Allow me to thank you sincerely for your time.
    As it isn't unusual for people to not know what they want for majorty of players vanilla will soon become boring. I won't be surprised if server are left half dead only with true hardcore vanilla crowd playing only.

Also wonder if they will be constantly tweaking classes otherwise they will be left in permanent imbalance. During normal epansion/patch progression class balance was in constant flux yet on vanilla they could remain stall.
    Here we go again, what the fudge are you talking about seriously, people that play Vanilla on private servers for 8 years now dont know what they want? Theres several Vanilla private servers with 10k+ ppl online and has been that way since pretty much TBC.

You do realise that when TBC came out 90% of the people that bought Vanilla were still playing it (that is 2years+), and when TBC came only like 1% of the total Wow population entered last raid naxx40, and im guesing less then 1% have gotten rank 11/14 in pvp. Soon become boring? YEA RIGHT...
    GdemamiGhavrigg

• MyrdynnMyrdynn Member RarePosts: 2,479
    cant wait for all day Alterac's again
    Xarko
    DMKano said:
    "But yeah, the goal is to recreate that exact experience, for better or for worse."

They have Vanilla code from 2004 in their code repository. They can deploy the exact 2004 version if they wanted to 100% right now.

Read carefully what they said "the goal is to *recreate*... not *use exact code from 2004"

They will be re-creating as in trying to match it as close as possible and thats why it will take a lot ot work to do this.

Wow nice deflection, focus on the phrase that makes your argument instead the other 2 that TOTALY DESTROY IT. Want a hint of wich they are? "EXACT" "BETTER or for worse"

DMKano said:

They have Vanilla code from 2004 in their code repository. They can deploy the exact 2004 version if they wanted to 100% right now.

Read carefully what they said "the goal is to *recreate*... not *use exact code from 2004"

They will be re-creating as in trying to match it as close as possible and thats why it will take a lot ot work to do this.

Wow nice deflection, focus on the phrase that makes your argument instead the other 2 that TOTALY DESTROY IT. Want a hint of wich they are? "EXACT" "BETTER or for worse"
    I bet you dont find it wierd so many people disagree with you. Everybody is wrong and you are right of course.
  • MyrdynnMyrdynn Member RarePosts: 2,479
    ahh the nostalgia, till people realize there is only 1 way to Warrior, Priests, Druids and Pallys only healing, time to roll up a chain fear Warlock
    SBFord
    edited November 2017
    DMKano said:
    DMKano said:

I am not arguing here, I am telling you exactly what is going on - you can keep on arguing all you want.
    You are correct argument would be if at least one of your points were correct, wich unfortunately none are, go watch the announcement and read the interview and compare i dare you.