Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How do graphics make a game good?

ScottcScottc Member Posts: 680
Make me understand, I never have.  I simply don't see how graphics will make a game really good on its own.  I've wasted money on tons of games that supposedly have the best graphics ever, and yet the game was boring and crappy.  Why do others continue to buy games with good graphics that have crappy gameplay?  How can you enjoy a game if its not fun?  Looking at pretty pictures is not fun unless you're a retarded monkey.

Comments

• IcoGamesIcoGames Member Posts: 2,360

Some players will contend that it makes the game play more immersive.

Ico
    Oh, cruel fate, to be thusly boned. Ask not for whom the bone bones. It bones for thee.

• OmegaLetOmegaLet Member Posts: 588
    Good = an opinion.

whats good to one isn't good to another

• sunflamesunflame Member UncommonPosts: 181
    Its very simple.... graphic is what draw ppl to buy the game (or have a 2nd look @ it) however its the gameplay/community that makes them stay. without good graphic (most) ppl wouldnt even look @ a game. thats why they buy the game even though its crap....

sunflame.

• JaziaJazia Member Posts: 584

good graphics make a game more appeal.

To me, graphics and gameplay each take 50/50 for how good a game is.

For example I'd rate Lineage2 graphics 5/5(good looking and realistic), gameplay 2/5(sux in pve, but good in pvp), so total 7/10.

WOW graphics 2/5(cartoonish world and UGLY characters), gameplay 1/5(sux in pve, bullshit in pvp), so total 3/10!!!

If a game sux in graphics, then my half interests is gone already lol.

• SpankyBear12SpankyBear12 Member Posts: 36
    I've played 2D games like Wyvern that are really good, but when a game has nice graphics, it tends to have a better feel. I agree with what you're saying though. Graphics don't really matter. Some games are so caught up in the graphics that the game doesn't have any skills or anything and you're practically running around in circles.

• ShijukiShijuki Member UncommonPosts: 318

Originally posted by Scottc
    Make me understand, I never have.  I simply don't see how graphics will make a game really good on its own.  I've wasted money on tons of games that supposedly have the best graphics ever, and yet the game was boring and crappy.  Why do others continue to buy games with good graphics that have crappy gameplay?  How can you enjoy a game if its not fun?  Looking at pretty pictures is not fun unless you're a retarded monkey.

I've actually asked my self that question several times about korean mmos that hit the western part. The only thing graphics does is attratct people to buy the game even if the gameplay utterly sucks, that's how it is with all korean games anyway.
  • ErahnErahn Member Posts: 109

Originally posted by IcoGames
    Some players will contend that it makes the game play more immersive.

You ever seen a six year old jumping up and down in step to Mario or Luigi for NES? 8Bit and apparently more immersive than any game I play since I don't jump up and down with my avatar or do anythign else my cahracter does.

Seriously though. Graphics dont' offer anything by themselves if the game isn't any good. They offer about as much content as the picture on the cover of a novel, which is to say it can be nice and add a little touch to a game, but they won't break a great game. I seem to notice that games with over the top grpahic engines tend to have more gameplay issues overall since graphics seems to be a very high focus of development teams. There are alot of games on the shelf (for all systems or PC, on or offline) that only offer graphics without any plot and often no repetitive gameplay without any real content.

But remember those amazing screen shots on the back of a box will sell a game more times than not, even if it just ends up bewing uninstalled. They made their cash they don't care beyond that.

• SolanarSolanar Member UncommonPosts: 188
    They are usually shiny... very shiny... 

?played: Nearly everything.
    ?waiting: *Darkfall*, Hero''s Journey

• katriellkatriell Member UncommonPosts: 977

I can't play a game that I feel has ugly graphics. I mean, what are you staring at 100% of the time you're playing a game? The graphics. So if I have to stare at something that looks horrible, I'm not going to care how good the gameplay is. I'm not going to want to look at those graphics a second longer than I have to - hence I don't play the game.

Conversely, if a game (like Silkroad Online) has nice graphics but shitty gameplay, I'm not going to play it either.

-----------
    In memory of Laura "Taera" Genender. Passed away on August 13, 2008.

• XzaroXzaro Member UncommonPosts: 1,719
    For me, graphics stands 20% and gameplay/everything else stands 80%.

Also, 2d doesn't mean bad graphics. Bad graphics is something like Runescape, no matter how good of a gameplay it has, it won't ever become super successful. The graphics has to be either fully 2d, fully 3d, or isometric 2d. Anything else that is half-assed is considered bad.

• mary8076mary8076 Member Posts: 10

I love something cute character!!!!

Especially for the female game player graphic is somewhat important, at least for me.lol 

I agree with that community makes player stay at the game and it is true.

But we dont know how community going one at the first site.

so usually choose game with cute or beautiful character.

Boz sometimes just try on some new look or change hair color is fun for me ....=D

• Zaxx99Zaxx99 Member Posts: 1,761

Okay, I think I have a good answer for ya. Atleast this is how I feel about the OPs question concerning graphics.

I looks at graphics much the same as I do the outside beauty on a woman I might date/marry whatever.

Graphics, like a womans looks, are only skin-deep. A woman could be red hot, sexy as hell and mouth watering to look at and be a complete psychotic bitch when you get below the surface. Same with a game. It could have the best graphics in the world, be stunning to look at, yet be amazingly glitchy, boring, and simply no fun to play once you put 15 minutes into it.

Conversely, there are women who don't look quite so hot who are total sweethearts, would give anything for anyone, would remain faithful in a relationship, honest, fun etc. Games that lack the stellar graphics can also have insanely fun elements that makes you just wanna keep playing and playing and playing.

What "Attracts" you to a game (or a woman) is the graphics. What holds you and makes you want more is deeper then that. How much fun is it to actually play on the inside?

Ofcourse, a video game with 10 out of 10 graphics AND 10 outta 10 game elements thats addicting and makes you wanna keep playing a million times is RARE as hell. As is a woman with 10 outta 10 looks and a 10 outta 10 personality. But everyones opinion does differ. Still, a woman or a game with all the elements AND good graphics/looks is definately going to attract a LOT of attention from everyone who comes across her/it.

Graphics, just like great beauty, is only icing on the cake. It has to be fun first, then graphics are simply a very welcome addition.

That's my take on this anyhow.

- Zaxx

• MaeEyeMaeEye Member UncommonPosts: 1,105

Originally posted by zaxtor99

Okay, I think I have a good answer for ya. Atleast this is how I feel about the OPs question concerning graphics.
    I looks at graphics much the same as I do the outside beauty on a woman I might date/marry whatever.
    Graphics, like a womans looks, are only skin-deep. A woman could be red hot, sexy as hell and mouth watering to look at and be a complete psychotic bitch when you get below the surface. Same with a game. It could have the best graphics in the world, be stunning to look at, yet be amazingly glitchy, boring, and simply no fun to play once you put 15 minutes into it.
    Conversely, there are women who don't look quite so hot who are total sweethearts, would give anything for anyone, would remain faithful in a relationship, honest, fun etc. Games that lack the stellar graphics can also have insanely fun elements that makes you just wanna keep playing and playing and playing.
    What "Attracts" you to a game (or a woman) is the graphics. What holds you and makes you want more is deeper then that. How much fun is it to actually play on the inside?
    Ofcourse, a video game with 10 out of 10 graphics AND 10 outta 10 game elements thats addicting and makes you wanna keep playing a million times is RARE as hell. As is a woman with 10 outta 10 looks and a 10 outta 10 personality. But everyones opinion does differ. Still, a woman or a game with all the elements AND good graphics/looks is definately going to attract a LOT of attention from everyone who comes across her/it.
    Graphics, just like great beauty, is only icing on the cake. It has to be fun first, then graphics are simply a very welcome addition.
    That's my take on this anyhow.

- Zaxx

I couldn't say it any better.  While I will admit if I were ever to play Runescape, I'd rather scrape my eyes out with a toothpick than play that game.  Mainly because I vomit better graphic than that game has.  While I think Graphic CAN be important sometimes, gameplay is the major jumper in my case.

Usually, Graphics tend to sit on a 20-25% importance, while gameplay is more of a 75-80% importance. 

But you will usually see the graphics of a game way before it's released, through screenshots.  WHich means, right there that that is pinned down...so then gameplay's importance then jumps up to a 90% importance to me. 

The main problem with MMO's and myself is that I don't want to buy it until I've tried it out, or if I'm a huge fan of the series.  Vanguard for example, looking so forward to that game, i definitally know I'm going to get it...Auto Assault, this game looks fun and all, but I just don't know about it.  I would love to have a free trial of the game before. 

Anyways, back on topic. . .graphics are not that important at all.  If the reviews give graphics somewhere between 7.5-10, I'll be satified.  Gameplay is where the importance is and always will be.
    /played-mmorpgs

Total time played: 9125 Days, 21 Hours, 29 Minutes, 27 Seconds
    Time played this level: 39 Days, 1 Hour, 24 Minutes, 5 Seconds

• amark_8amark_8 Member Posts: 75

Originally posted by katriell

I can't play a game that I feel has ugly graphics. I mean, what are you staring at 100% of the time you're playing a game? The graphics. So if I have to stare at something that looks horrible, I'm not going to care how good the gameplay is. I'm not going to want to look at those graphics a second longer than I have to - hence I don't play the game.
    Conversely, if a game (like Silkroad Online) has nice graphics but shitty gameplay, I'm not going to play it either.

I totally agree with you. I can't stand games with bad graphics. It is much more realistic and immersive with better graphics. Personally, I think that it is one of the reasons L2 is still going ok. Seriousley, the grind in that game is ridiculous. There was nothing great about the PvP except that the graphics made it seem so real and make you feel like you were in a "medieval" setting. WoW has way better PvP. They just screwed it over by putting in BG's and DK's.

Originally posted by amark_8

Originally posted by katriell

I totally agree with you. I can't stand games with bad graphics. It is much more realistic and immersive with better graphics. Personally, I think that it is one of the reasons L2 is still going ok. Seriousley, the grind in that game is ridiculous. There was nothing great about the PvP except that the graphics made it seem so real and make you feel like you were in a "medieval" setting. WoW has way better PvP. They just screwed it over by putting in BG's and DK's.

WOW's pvp isn't even real pvp...no real reward, nor penalty, and you can see enemies' lvl...what a bunch of carebears.

L2's pvp rules all so far. Which is the only reason why it's still alive. People play it for pvp.

(obivously you never tried L2's real pvp)
    I am talking about large scale clan war, siege etc. Not some carebear random ganking. L2 siege always have hundreds(could be 1000+) organized players fight each other. It is not even understandable for WOW players "how do you get so many people work together?", we aren't even on the same planet...

Following screenshots are during a siege in Lineage2.
    (had to turn down details to the lowest to avoid graphic laggy because of that many people.)
    There were probably 800+ players combine both sides. Yes ALL organized! NO random participation. All planned, and brought up alliances'/clans' forces with 1 goal only - remove the evil clan who holds the Aden Castle.

• herculeshercules Member UncommonPosts: 4,924

On its own never.But at other end of the stick you can say good gameplay with very horrible graphics.

Some said Shadowbane was a descent enough game but the graphics were so outdated that it was hard to look beyond it as more then a cheaply made part timer mmorpg despite i knew it took professionals years to make it.

• deggilatordeggilator Member Posts: 520

Make me understand, I never have.  I simply don't see how graphics will make a game really good on its own.

Graphics are not enough to make a good title for the majority of gamers, however they are important. A game is certainly more entertaining when it's visually pleasing.

Currently playing:
    * City of Heroes: Deggial, Assault Rifle/Devices Blaster. Server: Defiant.
    * City of Villains: Snakeroot, Plant/Thorns Dominator. Server: Defiant.

• AdamKeeneAdamKeene Member Posts: 7
    IMO as has been said, the graphics allow a player to immerse themselves in a game, especially in this genre of fantasy games, Sci-Fi games and historical games too, the graphics almost need to put a player right into the game, however I believe that while the graphics are a draw, it is he gameplay and the community that ultimately make up the players mind.

For example, SWG has great and immersive graphics, but the NGE gameplay and after this the mass uprooting of the community, nobody wants to pay anymore.

• ElnatorElnator Member Posts: 6,077

My take on graphics:

Graphics, in and of themselves, don't really matter.  But well done graphics can help a game reach the 'next level' and allow players to really immerse themselves in a game.  Poorly done graphics or 'bad graphics' can break the immersion and cause an otherwise 'good' game to be only 'so so'.  Case in point:  Shadowbane

An example of a game that had phenomenal graphics (for it's time) but didn't succeed because it's gameplay sucked:  Anarchy Online

So what Graphics give a game is 2 pieces:

1) Initial look.   When you buy a game the first thing you see is the screenshots on the back cover.  If they're hideous you probably won't buy the game.    Think about it.   When people promote a new game one of the first questions people ask are "Do you have screen shots".  Matter of fact one of the criteria for listing an MMO on this site that's in development is it must have Screen Shots of the actual 'in game' graphics.  So graphics definitely matter to get people to LOOK at a title.

2) Staying power.  Badly done or poorly made graphics can break immersion.  Which makes it harder for the player to 'buy into' the world.  This can either totally turn players off or, at the least, lower their tolerance of other shortcomings in the title.  On the positive side well crafted graphics can help players immerse themselves into the game world, which will typically cause them to be a tad more forgiving about minor gameplay issues.  Not completely, but every little bit does help. 

Currently Playing: Dungeons and Dragons Online.
    Sig image Pending
    Still in: A couple Betas