Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

BREAKING NEWS: Blizzard Announces Vanilla Servers - World of Warcraft - MMORPG.com

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
edited November 2017 in News & Features Discussion

BREAKING NEWS: Blizzard Announces Vanilla Servers - World of Warcraft - MMORPG.com

During today's Blizzcon, J. Allen Brack announced what many said they never would: World of Warcraft Classic, i.e. vanilla servers. "We hear you." A classic server option being added.

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Post edited by SBFord on

Comments

• TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297
    Didn't expect this at all. I think a lot of people with fond memories will get a shock at how basic and grindy the game was at launch. It would seem like such a basic and empty MMO experience these days and be lacking tons of features. In my opinion, obviously.
    jgDuffayAshikuroKalebGraysonHarikenZenerenshawnpatThebeasttt
    I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Wow!
    MadFrenchie[Deleted User]GameboyMarcZenerenMrMelGibsonCecropia
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,507
    I confess, never thought they would agree to this, bravo.

Maybe there's still hope for a FFA PVP ruleset server.
    Lazarus71jgDuffayshawnpat

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• danisheraserdanisheraser Member UncommonPosts: 33
    This is good news from Blizzard!
    jgDuffayZenerenshawnpat
  • MensurMensur Member EpicPosts: 1,515
    I will be back in game!
    [Deleted User]AlomarZenerenshawnpatwanderica

mmorpg junkie since 1999

• WhiteLanternWhiteLantern Member RarePosts: 3,311
    Most unexpected announcement of...ever.
    shawnpat

I want a mmorpg where people have gone through misery, have gone through school stuff and actually have had sex even. -sagil

• cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,101
    Speechless !!!
    Chamber of Chains
  • ForgrimmForgrimm Member EpicPosts: 3,059
    Good news. Now people won't have any more excuses to play on private servers once the official ones launch.
    XingbairongNephethJeleenaMadFrenchiejpedrote52[Deleted User]KalebGraysonforcelimaThupliZenerenand 4 others.
  • VyntVynt Member UncommonPosts: 757
    I'm actually not too surprised considering how the last 2 expansions have gone. I figured this would happen eventually as numbers continue to dwindle, but I expected this more like in 1-2 years.

I'm curious if it will be a progression type server like EQ does or just a classic option.
    shawnpat
  • AvarixAvarix Member RarePosts: 665
    edited November 2017
    This Blizzcon opening ceremony was phenomenal. So many good things happening.
    Xingbairongmcrippins
  • CrazKanukCrazKanuk Member EpicPosts: 6,130
    Mind officially blown! Plus an expansion? Damn! 
    Xingbairong

Crazkanuk

----------------
    Azarelos - 90 Hunter - Emerald
    Durnzig - 90 Paladin - Emerald
    Demonicron - 90 Death Knight - Emerald Dream - US
    Tankinpain - 90 Monk - Azjol-Nerub - US
    Brindell - 90 Warrior - Emerald Dream - US
    ----------------

• kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,919
    Okay let's see what reason people will have now as to why they are still playing on the private servers aside from it being free.
    zigalucardNephethForgrimmwaynejr2[Deleted User]MrMelGibson

• GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342
    Is there some actual quote or is this some assumption...?
    jpedrote52MrMelGibsonCecropiawanderica
  • TamanousTamanous Member RarePosts: 3,026
    edited November 2017
    Not shocking at all. Stated it many times. There is only the ignorant and those who understand why private wow servers exist.

You stay sassy!

• SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

Gdemami said:

If you watched the opening ceremony, J. Allen Brack announced it. The WoW panel is in about 1/ 2 hour and we'll learn more then. We'll have a new post going with more details about the expansion and the classic servers.
    [Deleted User]

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

• Panther2103Panther2103 Member EpicPosts: 5,768
    People kept saying "Blizzard would only do it if it was financially viable, so obviously it isn't". Well obviously it is. 
    forcelima
  • XingbairongXingbairong Member RarePosts: 927

Gdemami said:

Official announcement
  • TheScavengerTheScavenger Member EpicPosts: 3,321
    Well, I'm actually legit surprised. Though should have been expected, it was heavily requested.

The question is...will people PAY for the classic servers? Or will they instead play for free (but with worse quality, drama and pay to win) on private servers? I'd rather pay for quality, but most people these days want everything free.

I hope classic servers work out for blizzard and people put their money into what they actually say they want.

My Skyrim, Fallout 4, Starbound and WoW + other game mods at MODDB: 

https://www.moddb.com/mods/skyrim-anime-overhaul

• gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919
    All about subscriber numbers; if they get low enough things happen.

The big question: will they seek to control access or will it be: open many "new" servers; existing servers die - complaints; new servers become overcrowded for a month or so - complaints; new servers decline when the nostalgia wanes and whilst new players leaving would be nothing lost, current players deciding to leave rather than going back could result in the existing players not recovering.
  • calibekcalibek Member UncommonPosts: 300
    Kind of makes me wonder how bad their numbers are now. I knew they would eventually do classic servers but only when their numbers were so bad they needed to increase WoW revenue.

• GaladournGaladourn Member RarePosts: 1,813
    Blizz you can consider me subbed again :)
    NildenforcelimaZeneren
  • styopastyopa Member UncommonPosts: 4

Didn't expect this at all. I think a lot of people with fond memories will get a shock at how basic and grindy the game was at launch. It would seem like such a basic and empty MMO experience these days and be lacking tons of features. In my opinion, obviously.

You mean, aside from all the thousands and thousands of people that have begged for precisely this after ACTUALLY PLAYING on vanilla servers and loving it?

Aside from them?
    ZenerenSyphin_B
  • kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,919
    Did they say when ?
    waynejr2Alomar

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Rhoklaw said:
    I don't even know what to say. Whether it was Blizzard or Activision that made the final decision, all I can say is, you made the right call. I will be one of the first disgruntled haters to return home to Azeroth. I'm coming home, I'm coming home. Tell the world I'm coming home. By the way, I will be happy to subscribe to such a server, so hopefully we can all enjoy this endeavor together.
    Hopefully one sub gets you into either server.
    [Deleted User]jpedrote52AeliousMrMelGibson
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297
    edited November 2017

styopa said:

You mean, aside from all the thousands and thousands of people that have begged for precisely this after ACTUALLY PLAYING on vanilla servers and loving it?

Aside from them?

People who play on private servers are a very small vocal minority considering the size of the fan base. Of course there's going to be people that do want this but I'm willing to bet the majority of people that think they want this probably won't when they get their hands on it. It'll have it's niche audience, no doubt. At first it'll explode with population but I'll be surprised if it doesn't drop off fairly quickly. Unless... they modernise it with current tech and features.. but then that's not really classic.
    MendelZenerenGobstopper3D
    I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.