Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

A Surprise, To Be Sure, But a Welcome One - Not So MMO - MMORPG.com

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
edited November 2017 in News & Features Discussion

imageA Surprise, To Be Sure, But a Welcome One - Not So MMO - MMORPG.com

EA has come out with two separate announcements detailing its revised progression plans for SWBF2, making many of these changes in direct response to all the criticism. To borrow a line from Senator Palpatine, the changes were, “A surprise, to be sure, but a welcome one.” I expected there to be some changes, but I didn’t expect EA to walk things back as much as it has.

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,983
    EA: If I can change, and you can change... Everybody can change!!!!!

pantaroBruceYee

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    That's what these companies do, they push the edges to see just how far the consumers will let them go. If no one says anything they push a little harder. That's why it's a billion dollar industry.
    SpellshaperSlapshot1188SBFordMadFrenchieIselinKyleranWraithoneConstantineMerusinfomatz

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,983
    That's what these companies do, they push the edges to see just how far the consumers will let them go. If no one says anything they push a little harder. That's why it's a billion dollar industry.
    Totally agree, but that's why the consumers have to push back.. HARD.. 
    Octagon7711WraithoneKickaxeYashaX

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• SEANMCADSEANMCAD Member EpicPosts: 16,775
    edited November 2017
    exactly. in fact I have gotten confirmation years ago that its literally done in politics as well. in fact I even know how they do it.
    [Deleted User]

Please do not respond to me, even if I ask you a question, its rhetorical.

Please do not respond to me

• Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    It's a business concept that's applied in many fields.

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• jpedrote52jpedrote52 Member UncommonPosts: 112
    I just wanna know if crafting the Epic cards require a ridiculous amount of crafting parts or not. Because if it requires a ridiculous amount of crafting parts (aka ridiculous amounts of loot crates bought through the in game currency which you're only rewarded 150ish credits for game, and a crate cost about 1-2k credits I think), them the system is basically the same, you'll still need to play a shit load of matches before you have enough resources to craft the good cards, and all that time can be bypassed by just buying a lot of loot crates.....
    DaranarSiug
  • MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    edited November 2017
    It's the same thing many folks around the forums referenced when the whole microtransaction and lootbox thing started.  It was qualified and justified by others, apparently unwilling to read the writing on the wall regarding where publishers were going to take it once the consumer base decided it was okay.

I'm reminded again of an article on a fantastic website that I just found thanks to @Kefo:

http://www.pointandclickbait.com/2017/10/they-are-right-to-do-it/

A spoof of Activision's microtransaction patent fiasco, where Activision patented a blood-sucking murder robot but claimed they had no plans on actually using it:

'Opinion has been divided on the issue of the skittering, clicking terror, with some gamers suggesting that Activision have gone too far and others saying they would take a “wait and see” approach.

“It depends what I get in exchange for the blood,” explained local gamer Jesse Ingam. “If it’s just a brief crushing moment of fear and then nothing but darkness and oblivion, well that’s a rip-off. I won’t pay for that. If it’s an XP bonus or something I might consider it.”'

Slapshot1188ConstantineMerus

• MargraveMargrave Member RarePosts: 1,362
    Not good enough. Still not buying it.
    TokkenDaranar
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    If they're smart about it, they get to do exactly what they wanted to do in the first place while simultaneously making customers feel like, to use the corporate phrase, they "engaged in the industry-wide discussion." 
    [Deleted User]ConstantineMerus
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297
    edited November 2017
    This isn't any better. It's exactly the same problem presented in a different way. It's a card game, like Hearthstone.
    TokkenBruceYeeSiug
    I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
  • Righteous_RockRighteous_Rock Member RarePosts: 1,234
    To bad , you’ve been blacklisted, the Star Wars brand blacklisted as well. Great job screwing up .
    BruceYee
  • MykellMykell Member UncommonPosts: 780
    Too early to tell yet. Like jpedrote52 said it could still be grindy as hell ala Fortnite so for any meaningful progression will still need you to purchase lootboxes.
    BruceYee
  • RedempRedemp Member UncommonPosts: 1,136
    I've said it before ... NOPE. They went overboard and it bit them in the bum; they don't get a pass for figuring that out so late in the game. Delay launch, scrap lootbox's entirely, rework the progression system ... then apologize a few more times. $50 is cheap entertainment .. but damned if I have to support this kind of nonsense anymore.
  • DaranarDaranar Member UncommonPosts: 392

They do this. But when people push back, they still don't change they simply re-frame it and see if they can smooth it by you in a different 'prettier' package.

I just wanna know if crafting the Epic cards require a ridiculous amount of crafting parts or not. Because if it requires a ridiculous amount of crafting parts (aka ridiculous amounts of loot crates bought through the in game currency which you're only rewarded 150ish credits for game, and a crate cost about 1-2k credits I think), them the system is basically the same, you'll still need to play a shit load of matches before you have enough resources to craft the good cards, and all that time can be bypassed by just buying a lot of loot crates.....

EA is the hero because they won't just sell you epic cards in loot boxes, instead they will sell you the parts in loot boxes. And i'm sure some parts will be extremely rare. I would NOT be surprised if they make MORE money from this iteration of loot boxes. It's like Monopoly at McDonalds. Instead of buying a french fry for a chance to win a million dollars, you buy multiple french fries to collect the pieces needed to 'craft' the million dollar prize. This ensures one thing. No one can win the prize with just one purchase ;)

This is not a victory for the players vs. the corporation. At best it's a stalemate, at worst it's a loss.

If I want a world in which people can purchase success and power with cash, I'll play Real Life. Keep Virtual Worlds Virtual!

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    The job as a developer is to make a gamer feel a part of the world,you should NEVER feel like you are inside some cash shop ,business money maker.

The business side should be the purchase,after that you should feel immersed in the game and nothing else.
    Junglecharly[Deleted User]BruceYeeKimo

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• TaishiFoxTaishiFox Member RarePosts: 999
    So they haven't made the campaign as co-op? shame.

imageimage

• ShinamiShinami Member UncommonPosts: 825
    General Akbar's "Its a trap!" comes to mind!

I had high hopes for this game.
    Now I will move on as there is nothing to see here.

I guess all the stormtroopers and their weak minds are all going to go out and buy this game while the strong-minded will steer clear of this mess!

• AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    Its like catching your kid's hand in the cookie jar before dinner and praising him/her for putting it back after getting caught. Except EA is keeping part of the cookie still.
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    edited November 2017
    I stopped supporting EA awhile back,Blizzard recently and even my fave "Square Enix" has turned me away as they too have become more like Blizzard.

These business models and ways of trying to ripoff customers turns me right off.They can go right ahead and exploit those foolish enough to keep throwing money at them and keep utilizing popular streamers to promote average to bad products but i won't be part of it.

It would be somewhat fathomable just having the bullshit media and hype behind these games and paying off websites and streamers if only the games showed the same kind of effort.I have bought several Star Wars games and after a short time all of them have me filing them away for good,bored and not wanting to finish any of them.

The term Themepark came about long after i started gaming,but that is what most games feel like,they forget their design role and act more like a cheap one trick pony with few systems,few sub programs just a total lack of effort or pride in their work.

Bottom line is we will NEVER get a passionate gamer's response from website articles ANYWHERE,we will instead get buttered up stuff,careful to not step on toes of our business partners,always act the term "professional"it makes for a good excuse as to not straight up tell it as it is,EA is a terrible business and nobody should be supporting them.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• KonfessKonfess Member RarePosts: 1,667
    Maybe we should make ALL jobs Play 4 Free and then no one will be making any money.

Get it though y'alls good for nothing heads, this is the cost of gaming today. If you want to Play 4 Free, then you better expect to grind your time for the money you wont be spending. I tell them all the time, make the "to buy price" of games $100 or more, then add a $60 or more monthly subscription. Then all these good for nothing gamers will KNOW, that gaming is no longer for them. Then they can go back to playing with sticks and stones in their back yards, where they belong.

Go to work today, I expect most of you don't work, and be damn grateful if you earn any money. Because the day is coming when some one decides you should Work 4 FREE. And see how happy you are, when the whales don't come and bail you out of the hole.

@MikeB, glad you are realizing that the old system may have had some good things about it. But if more people had honestly thought about it they would have realized the original system WAS the BEST offer they could get. But no, y'all wont be satisfied if it's not absolutely FREE.

Pardon any spelling errors
    Konfess your cyns and some maybe forgiven
    Boy: Why can't I talk to Him?
    Mom: We don't talk to Priests.
    As if it could exist, without being payed for.
    F2P means you get what you paid for. Pay nothing, get nothing.
    Even telemarketers wouldn't think that.
    It costs money to play.  Therefore P2W.