Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

People who dont play

2»

Comments

• btdtbtdt Member RarePosts: 523
    BruceYee said:

"Isn't that a waste of time"
    No more than spending one's paycheck at the local pub... 

To be frank, it IS a waste of time... that's the point... to waste time!  If you didn't have time to waste, you wouldn't be watching TV, working out at the gym, drinking at the pub, or mowing the lawn.

Life is all about passing the time.  How you choose to pass it away is your choice... but you are still just passing time away.
    laxieBruceYeeMrMelGibson
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    People are very defensive by nature,bring the topic up and it is like auto...oh games are dumb.

Then a minute in and they are telling you about the fun they had playing some game 10 years ago lol.
    There is a group of people who seem to not like anything but smoking a cig and drinking beer and to that they scoff at everything else.

Then there is a very small % of people who are just dumb to everything,they still live with their parents,they can't think on their own worth a crap and just have nothing to say about any topic.

Then you have the older people,like your boss who feels the ONLY thing that matters is work,gaming like lol to them.They feel that if gaming doesn't make money it should not be done.

I feel for the most part,human tendencies are very predictable,however i have yet to really figure out why people do game as at one point in time ,i was the type that scoffed at gaming and felt getting outside and playing sports was all that mattered.
    BruceYee

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• BloodaxesBloodaxes Member EpicPosts: 4,662
    Even with today standards, I'm still kinda the guy that plays games people never heard off or won't try. Most people nowadays play moba and/or fps which it's not my type.

With "good" (I know subjective) mmos coming less and less, I'm also struggling on finding games to play besides single player rpgs and such. 

• sunandshadowsunandshadow Member RarePosts: 1,985
    Most of my friends also either play video games or at least used to play them and remember that it can be a lot of fun.

If non-gamers around me have anything to say about me gaming, it's suggestions that I do something that will earn money (work), cost less money (that's already why my other main hobby is reading), or be more useful (e.g chores), or be more creative (writing, art) instead.  But seriously, I'm almost 40, I have a disease that makes me get exhausted easily and will probably kill me before I hit 70, and I don't have any prospects of getting into a romance or becoming a parent.  I thus have zero motivation to do more annoying shit than necessary.

At least I'm lucky I don't have any extrovert or overly-attached friends who complain about me not spending enough time paying attention to them, nor fitness-obsessed people nagging me to exercise and do outdoorsy stuff.  I used to get dragged on camping trips all the time when I was a kid and I'm permanently traumatized from all that hiking and mosquitoes.

Sorry to hear about the disease mate. I started writing to be more creative and i have an 85k novel i'm working on. Also, you never know about romance. Find a girl with similar issues.

Cryomatrix
    Thanks.  I usually try to be positive but sometimes a question will unexpectedly trigger me to spew some bitterness, which is what happened there. Don't mind it.  Oh, and actually I'm female. :wink:  As far as creativity goes, I've been too creative for my own good all my life.  I've never been all that good at it, but I've draw, painted, sculpted, etc since I was 6 or 7. Maybe even before that, if I could remember further back.  I didn't seriously try to write a novel until I was 14, but after that I made various attempts at writing fiction for years until I stopped out of sheer frustration with my inability to plot.  Trying to write fiction is honestly kind of bad for my emotional state, though writing non-fiction is usually positive for me.
    Keep up the faith, we all have health issues, I got some major ones too, but I was born fucked up, so I deal with them in stride. Never knew what life was like without being fucked up health-wise. But just keep plugging away, if you're not happy with how your doctor is managing you, find another one. Trust me, doctors are very different and treat things differently and some are uptodate and some aren't, so go to others, they may have the magic fix. 

Cryomatrix
    My doctor is pretty nice and up-to-date, thankfully.  I'm currently on week 2 of a new medication actually, still adjusting the dosage and examining the benefits compared to the side effects.  I wish you good luck with your issues too - never know when some new treatment is going to be invented or become cheap enough to actually try rather than just read about.  GL with the novel also! :smile:  If you get to the point where you want some editing, PM me a description and I'll see if it's something I'm interested in working on.  My actual degree is in English, and I have various experience with editing for literary magazines and writing circles and classes.
    MrMelGibsonCryomatrix
    I want to help design and develop a PvE-focused, solo-friendly, sandpark MMO which combines crafting, monster hunting, and story.  So PM me if you are starting one.
  • VyntVynt Member UncommonPosts: 757
    I don't generally discuss video games, but it does come up sometimes at work. It is usually someone talking about a game their husband or kids are playing. I might also bring up a story of something if it somehow relates to something pertinent. I don't think I ever get negative reactions.

I did have a friend at work recently who heard a song she really liked on a commercial, but couldn't remember what it was for. A few days later, she saw the commercial and it was for Shadow of War. She wanted me to play it to see if the song was in the game or just part of the commercial, lol.
  • some-clueless-guysome-clueless-guy Member UncommonPosts: 227
    Acquaintances of mine think I am retarded. They think I am in need of intervention in order to see the light and do what everyone else is supposed to do here: spend all free time drinking wine and beer at the pub. I outright avoid mentioning videogames with people I meet in person, in fact if the subject comes up I play dumb and pretend I know nothing.

On a slightly off-topic; I remember when at one point Sam Raimi was the director working on the Warcraft movie and I watched a short interview with him about the subject. When asked if he had played WoW himself, he answered something along the lines of "yeah I'm a big fan, I love WOW. I have a ...hmm shaman, level ...hmm 35, and I really loved Ashenvale.
    People who don't enjoy videogames as a form of entertainment probably can't even imagine why others would spend so much time on them.
  • Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    I don't get any particular reaction at all there. I don't even get any reaction for playing pen and paper games anymore, I think people finally got used to gaming.

I could see that serious tabletopers like Warhammer and Flames of war fans still get a little and vamp live people certainly are still considered weird but counting mobile games it is probably weirder not to game today then to game, at least where I live.
  • Stayn2010Stayn2010 Member UncommonPosts: 12
    Which is worse, 11 hours of NFL football on Sunday or 11 hours of gaming on any day?  I've been know to enjoy both (though not simultaneously) and either crowd (that I share either with) thinks the same of the other....it's a total waste of time.  So I tend to talk football with that crowd and gaming with the other.  Funny thing is I don't see a lot of crossover, at least in the circle of folks I interact with.
  • Gymrat313Gymrat313 Member UncommonPosts: 154
    edited November 2017
    Stayn2010 said:
    Which is worse, 11 hours of NFL football on Sunday or 11 hours of gaming on any day?  I've been know to enjoy both (though not simultaneously) and either crowd (that I share either with) thinks the same of the other....it's a total waste of time.  So I tend to talk football with that crowd and gaming with the other.  Funny thing is I don't see a lot of crossover, at least in the circle of folks I interact with.
    My favorite time of the year is football season. On Sunday I will have the games on all day while I game on my pc.  My wife hates football season.
    MrMelGibson
  • Stayn2010Stayn2010 Member UncommonPosts: 12
    Gymrat313 said:
    Stayn2010 said:
    My favorite time of the year is football season. On Sunday I will have the games on all day while I game on my pc.  My wife hates football season.
    Well, it took me 20 years to get my wife to enjoy (and not pretend to enjoy) football on Sundays.  It has become an event around our house every Sunday.  No way I'm screwing that up and logging into a game as she is not a fan.  Best gaming time for me is early AM, before she gets out of bed, or when she is on a Netflix binge :wink:
  • Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    Stayn2010 said:
    If a person is enjoying themselves, it's not a waste of time.  Unfortunately, I've also known many unenlightened boobs who fail to comprehend this simple logic.
    True, at least to some degree. If you only game and do nothing else besides possibly working you probably should get out a little more. But that is true for everything.

Besides, a little variation makes things more fun and is probably healthier for the brain as well. But you can game pretty much without it being a problem depending a bit on your situation. 6 hours a day is no problem if you are single or have a mate that game as well but a parent with small kids can't take that much time for any interest if they have a work as well.
    MrMelGibson
  • dave6660dave6660 Member UncommonPosts: 2,699
    I very rarely get any reaction at all.  At work I got a snide comment from somebody a while back about games being childish.  Then I reminded him he watched and enjoyed "Jersey Shore" and that was that.
    MrMelGibson

“There are certain queer times and occasions in this strange mixed affair we call life when a man takes this whole universe for a vast practical joke, though the wit thereof he but dimly discerns, and more than suspects that the joke is at nobody's expense but his own.”
    -- Herman Melville