Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

People who dont play

SEANMCADSEANMCAD Member EpicPosts: 16,775
What are some of the reactions you get on the topic of video games from people who do not play video games.

Please do not respond to me, even if I ask you a question, its rhetorical.

Please do not respond to me

Comments

• TalonsinTalonsin Member EpicPosts: 3,619
    Sometimes I get people who try and justify things by saying crazy stuff like the CEO going on TV and saying multiplayer will be in the game at launch is no indication that multiplayer would actually be in the game at launch.  Silly right?

(check my signature)
    MrMelGibsoncameltosis
    "Sean (Murray) saying MP will be in the game is not remotely close to evidence that at the point of purchase people thought there was MP in the game."  - SEANMCAD

• Gymrat313Gymrat313 Member UncommonPosts: 154
    OP, I don't think you have played anything...yet you have a reaction and opinion to everything.
    Talonsinmaskedweasel
  • SEANMCADSEANMCAD Member EpicPosts: 16,775
    Gymrat313 said:
    OP, I don't think you have played anything...yet you have a reaction and opinion to everything.
    ok but how about answering the question of the OP?
    Gymrat313Huntrezzaliven

Talonsin said:
    Sometimes I get people who try and justify things by saying crazy stuff like the CEO going on TV and saying multiplayer will be in the game at launch is no indication that multiplayer would actually be in the game at launch.  Silly right?

(check my signature)
    so people who do not normally play video games talk about what CEOs say? that is your answer?

your signature is wonderful and accurate not sure what your point is.

• TalonsinTalonsin Member EpicPosts: 3,619
    SEANMCAD said:
    Talonsin said:

(check my signature)
    so people who do not normally play video games talk about what CEOs say? that is your answer?

Terrible paraphrase.  More like:

Some people will say the stupidest things to justify their point, even if they have not played the game.  Your quote for example that you still seem to stick by.  If a CEO comes on TV and says their product will have a feature, why would you NOT expect that feature in the game.  When you buy a TV and the box says it has an HDMI port, do you NOT expect it to have an HDMI port?  When you go to a restaurant and the menu says T-Bone steak and you order it, do you expect to get an order of eggs with a side of bacon?

"Sean (Murray) saying MP will be in the game is not remotely close to evidence that at the point of purchase people thought there was MP in the game."  - SEANMCAD

Talonsin said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    Talonsin said:

(check my signature)

Terrible paraphrase.  More like:

Some people will say the stupidest things to justify their point, even if they have not played the game.  Your quote for example that you still seem to stick by.  If a CEO comes on TV and says their product will have a feature, why would you NOT expect that feature in the game.  When you buy a TV and the box says it has an HDMI port, do you NOT expect it to have an HDMI port?  When you go to a restaurant and the menu says T-Bone steak and you order it, do you expect to get an order of eggs with a side of bacon?

I would love to have that conversation but its MILES off topic.

If you want to talk to me about NMS then post that question in NMS forum, its not even remotely close to the question of this OP.

• ChicagoCubChicagoCub Member UncommonPosts: 381
    I don't typically discuss video games with people who don't play video games.  I'm not really sure why I would.  It's kind of like getting diet advice from a fat guy or hairstyle advice from a bald guy.
    BruceYeeHuntrezz
    I don't typically discuss video games with people who don't play video games.  I'm not really sure why I would.  It's kind of like getting diet advice from a fat guy or hairstyle advice from a bald guy.
    I used to, decades ago. I used to feel that I could convince a few friends that this is an exciting platform of entertainment. But now games are so common place I figure everyone has been exposed.
    Gdemami

• CryomatrixCryomatrix Member EpicPosts: 3,223
    Sometimes people find it childish and all. My response is like watching TV (i.e. story time) posting on social media isn't a bloody waste of time either? 

I think video games are a better form of entertainment than mindless TV. So if people call them childish, I like to say, stalking people on facebook, listening to stories (i.e watching TV) isn't?

Cryomatrix
    MrMelGibson
    Catch me streaming at twitch.tv/cryomatrix
    You can see my sci-fi/WW2 book recommendations. 
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 31,937
    Most of my friends don't play video games. I have a small handful I've met online and 3 others who are part of my circle of friends.

Those who don't see it as a waste of time, that you can be doing anything else to better yourself.

As I've mentioned before, I know of a woman who said that every time she sees a grown man on the T (boston subway) playing a game on his phone she wants to slap it out of his hand and tell him to grow up.

A friend of mine, knowing that I'm close to finishing a mod that I've been working on for two years asked me "so why are you doing this? I mean are you getting anything for it". There is of course the obvious answer "yes, personal self satisfaction".

I did work with a guy who, when I was talking about a video game I was going to buy, asked "wow, adults play those things?".

Is that what you are looking for Sean?
    MrMelGibson
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
    Sovrath said:
    Most of my friends don't play video games. I have a small handful I've met online and 3 others who are part of my circle of friends.

Those who don't see it as a waste of time, that you can be doing anything else to better yourself.

As I've mentioned before, I know of a woman who said that every time she sees a grown man on the T (boston subway) playing a game on his phone she wants to slap it out of his hand and tell him to grow up.

A friend of mine, knowing that I'm close to finishing a mod that I've been working on for two years asked me "so why are you doing this? I mean are you getting anything for it". There is of course the obvious answer "yes, personal self satisfaction".

I did work with a guy who, when I was talking about a video game I was going to buy, asked "wow, adults play those things?".

Is that what you are looking for Sean?
    yup good answer. sorry if the question was hard to understand.

The funny thing is:

I actually think video games are extraordinarily childish. When i'm not in an addicted phase (which is like .0001% of the time). When I see people playing games, I'm like wow dude, how childish. 

But on the other hand, I'd consider most forms of modern entertainment to be a waste of time too. I think TV is even more lame than video games. Reading a fiction book is just a story time. 

It's better to go out in the world and meet people and such, but alas, i'm a hopeless video game addict. On the other hand, maybe, if I didn't work so much and so many days in a row, i'd not need the video game time to unwind and relax. Oh well. I have a love/hate relationship with video games. I can only play when I'm addicted or when I want to relieve stress. 

An interesting thing was when I was in professional school, i'd be studying for a test and sneaking in video games while studying. Once the test was over, i'd have absolutely no desire to play video games. But during the study time crunch, that's all i'd want to do. 

Cryomatrix
  • sunandshadowsunandshadow Member RarePosts: 1,985
    edited November 2017
    Most of my friends also either play video games or at least used to play them and remember that it can be a lot of fun.

If non-gamers around me have anything to say about me gaming, it's suggestions that I do something that will earn money (work), cost less money (that's already why my other main hobby is reading), or be more useful (e.g chores), or be more creative (writing, art) instead.  But seriously, I'm almost 40, I have a disease that makes me get exhausted easily and will probably kill me before I hit 70, and I don't have any prospects of getting into a romance or becoming a parent.  I thus have zero motivation to do more annoying shit than necessary.

At least I'm lucky I don't have any extrovert or overly-attached friends who complain about me not spending enough time paying attention to them, nor fitness-obsessed people nagging me to exercise and do outdoorsy stuff.  I used to get dragged on camping trips all the time when I was a kid and I'm permanently traumatized from all that hiking and mosquitoes.
    MrMelGibson
    I want to help design and develop a PvE-focused, solo-friendly, sandpark MMO which combines crafting, monster hunting, and story.  So PM me if you are starting one.
    Most of my friends also either play video games or at least used to play them and remember that it can be a lot of fun.

If non-gamers around me have anything to say about me gaming, it's suggestions that I do something that will earn money (work), cost less money (that's already why my other main hobby is reading), or be more useful (e.g chores), or be more creative (writing, art) instead.  But seriously, I'm almost 40, I have a disease that makes me get exhausted easily and will probably kill me before I hit 70, and I don't have any prospects of getting into a romance or becoming a parent.  I thus have zero motivation to do more annoying shit than necessary.

At least I'm lucky I don't have any extrovert or overly-attached friends who complain about me not spending enough time paying attention to them, nor fitness-obsessed people nagging me to exercise and do outdoorsy stuff.  I used to get dragged on camping trips all the time when I was a kid and I'm permanently traumatized from all that hiking and mosquitoes.

Sorry to hear about the disease mate. I started writing to be more creative and i have an 85k novel i'm working on. Also, you never know about romance. Find a girl with similar issues.

Cryomatrix
  • HarikenHariken Member EpicPosts: 2,680
    This is to funny. I had friends back in the 90's when the internet thing blew up They were into vidoe games and i thought it was stupid because my idea of video games was pac man. Never once looked at pc games at all. Then i saw a friend at his house playing Half Life on his computer and was blown away.
    MrMelGibson
  • sunandshadowsunandshadow Member RarePosts: 1,985

Sorry to hear about the disease mate. I started writing to be more creative and i have an 85k novel i'm working on. Also, you never know about romance. Find a girl with similar issues.

Cryomatrix
    Thanks.  I usually try to be positive but sometimes a question will unexpectedly trigger me to spew some bitterness, which is what happened there. Don't mind it.  Oh, and actually I'm female. :wink:  As far as creativity goes, I've been too creative for my own good all my life.  I've never been all that good at it, but I've draw, painted, sculpted, etc since I was 6 or 7. Maybe even before that, if I could remember further back.  I didn't seriously try to write a novel until I was 14, but after that I made various attempts at writing fiction for years until I stopped out of sheer frustration with my inability to plot.  Trying to write fiction is honestly kind of bad for my emotional state, though writing non-fiction is usually positive for me.
    MrMelGibson
    I want to help design and develop a PvE-focused, solo-friendly, sandpark MMO which combines crafting, monster hunting, and story.  So PM me if you are starting one.
  • ShaighShaigh Member EpicPosts: 2,142
    Ever since the smartphone gamers are off the hook because the modern complaint is how people keep staring at their phone all day long.
    Iselin: And the next person who says "but it's a business, they need to make money" can just go fuck yourself.
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,435
    edited November 2017
    I have few real life "friends" but they do enjoy gaming. Online I have more, all game friends of course.

My wife doesn't think much of gaming, and there's a few guys at work who I discuss gaming with but we tend to keep it on the down low. 

My daughters have always said they won't ever marry a man who plays video games, (I was a great influence eh?) but in their age bracket it appears most do which might explain why they are still single. ;)

laserit[Deleted User]MrMelGibsonAelious

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 7,591
    Golf Sims were always a hit with the non-gamer's back in the day ;)

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

laserit said:
    Golf Sims were always a hit with the non-gamer's back in the day ;)
    My father used to play online Bridge but he kept getting banned, I guess he was one of the original "toxic" players.  

RIP Dad.
    ScorchienMrMelGibson

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

Cryomatrix
    Thanks.  I usually try to be positive but sometimes a question will unexpectedly trigger me to spew some bitterness, which is what happened there. Don't mind it.  Oh, and actually I'm female. :wink:  As far as creativity goes, I've been too creative for my own good all my life.  I've never been all that good at it, but I've draw, painted, sculpted, etc since I was 6 or 7. Maybe even before that, if I could remember further back.  I didn't seriously try to write a novel until I was 14, but after that I made various attempts at writing fiction for years until I stopped out of sheer frustration with my inability to plot.  Trying to write fiction is honestly kind of bad for my emotional state, though writing non-fiction is usually positive for me.
    Keep up the faith, we all have health issues, I got some major ones too, but I was born fucked up, so I deal with them in stride. Never knew what life was like without being fucked up health-wise. But just keep plugging away, if you're not happy with how your doctor is managing you, find another one. Trust me, doctors are very different and treat things differently and some are uptodate and some aren't, so go to others, they may have the magic fix. 

Cryomatrix
    Octagon7711sunandshadowMrMelGibson
  • Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    edited November 2017
    Sean, must be working on a paper, article, or a book. 

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• laxielaxie Member RarePosts: 1,118
    For me, it has changed a lot.

10 years ago, gaming was a very niche activity. You couldn't mention it to anyone - if you did, they'd look at you weird. The stereotypical gamer was a guy sitting in his basement, sipping energy drinks and getting obsessed over virtual worlds. "Oh you play video games, that's a waste of time."

Today, a lot of people are aware of gaming. It's also not a social suicide to mention it briefly with nongamers. I went to a house party with business students last weekend. One of those where guys chat about their investments and girls listen from the couch as they sip stuff from their plastic cups. People were talking about FIFA and Forza among other things - that kind of gaming is actually seen as a fairly "macho" thing.

One of my good university friends (she's very much not a gamer) once started talking to me about DOTA. I don't really play it, so it came out of the blue. She was from Russia and her housemates were also Russian - DOTA is pretty big there. They were watching the world championship, which she was very much aware of.

A girl was also helping me move my house, which involves a decent collection of console games. She made a joke about it and thought it was kind of cute. She went out with me a couple times after that - so it's not as if it's a red flag anymore.

So at least in the university circles, a certain kind of gaming is attractive - even by kids who care a lot about their social status and appearance. This is a stark difference to my experience 10 years ago. That said, I think LAN parties are still a tough pill to swallow for most.

I wonder if this will propagate up into the society, as these current university students grow up.
    MrMelGibson
  • BruceYeeBruceYee Member EpicPosts: 2,556
    "Aren't video games for kids"

"Are you serious?"

"Yeeeah, ok"

"Isn't that a waste of time"
    Kyleran[Deleted User]
    BruceYee said:
    "Aren't video games for kids"

"Are you serious?"

"Yeeeah, ok"

"Isn't that a waste of time"
    Well, the comeback for all of those comments is a standard Go F yourself. 

;)
    laxieBruceYee[Deleted User]