Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Destiny 2 - Was a Sequel a Mistake? - MMORPG.com

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
edited November 2017 in News & Features Discussion

imageDestiny 2 - Was a Sequel a Mistake? - MMORPG.com

Destiny 2 is a great game. But it’s also short on content for those coming either from the first game or new to the series. Sure, it’s technically a “new game”, but people playing MMOs, even ones that avoid the term, expect loads of content to keep them busy. Fair enough, Destiny 2 can claim it’s a whole new game. But the danger of taking an MMO and giving it a direct sequel is that you’re sacrificing all that older content to the garbage bin.

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 9,196
    I called it.
    cielyLucienRene
  • exile01exile01 Member RarePosts: 1,089
    Dont know where you see Destiny 2? Isnt it just an expansion with some tweaks ala Destiny a Realm Reborn? Cause thats what it is.
    Thunder073Ayinchojin2k
  • ForgrimmForgrimm Member EpicPosts: 3,059
    Short on content, neutered communication options, not an mmo. I'm glad I waited on this one. After watching a couple hours worth of streams and vids, it looks incredibly boring.
    XingbairongJeffSpicolijmcdermottukPhixion13Thunder073cielychojin2kwarsaber1375mazutmrputtsand 1 other.
  • TokkenTokken Member EpicPosts: 3,549
    Glad I waited as well......
    Scarrancielywarsaber1375

Proud MMORPG.com member since March 2004!  Make PvE GREAT Again!

• XingbairongXingbairong Member RarePosts: 927

Forgrimm said:

Short on content, neutered communication options, not an mmo. I'm glad I waited on this one. After watching a couple hours worth of streams and vids, it looks incredibly boring.

I made the mistake of pre-ordering and well... boy do I regret. Haven't played since the 2nd day of the launch and don't plan on playing it ever again. Game looks great visually, but that's all there is to it.
    I made a promise never to buy in on the hype, but I failed with D2... well not going to happen again, or at least I hope it doesn't :D
    cielywekyMrMelGibson
  • Pastor_DamePastor_Dame Member UncommonPosts: 37
    There are some great points of conversation to be had about what should or ever could be with Destiny 2. Full disclosure: I love Destiny 2 and have been thoroughly enjoying the content available.

While D1 was not a horrible game, it certainly had elements that needed changing. In order for Bungie to be able to drive the Destiny universe forward, it needed the soft reset that is Destiny 2. I would contend also that while D2 may have less content "on paper", the quality of it is worlds better.

That being said, Bill makes an excellent point about the accessibility of content that exists within the same game universe. The WoW illustration is a pretty solid case, if it weren't for that meddling story! I would suggest that returning to some of those locations (especially the beloved Cosmodrome) would require an overhaul to keep consistent with the story. Now, post story - have at it.

Those are just a few thoughts and counterpoints.

tl;dr: What a sequel a mistake? Nope. Next question?
    [Deleted User]spookydomZenerenMurmelixunfilteredJW
  • SEANMCADSEANMCAD Member EpicPosts: 16,775
    There is nothing remotely interesting to me personally about Destiny or Destiny 2, I am however fascinated how people going for the same copy and paste game (basically speaking)
    azarhalPigozzAlomarpantaroPhixion13rojoArcueidcielychojin2k

Please do not respond to me, even if I ask you a question, its rhetorical.

Please do not respond to me

• MurmaiderMurmaider Member UncommonPosts: 123
    I'm not going to lie, I'm one of the suckers that pre ordered the $100 digital version on the PS4.

I spent many hours and days playing the first game.
    Hell, my wife says I've practically played it our entire marriage.

Yes it can be short on content and I do get bored some times.
    But I was lucky enough to join an awesome clan that groups up for everything and it keeps it all fresh.
  • DvalinDKDvalinDK Member UncommonPosts: 18
  • jgDuffayjgDuffay Member UncommonPosts: 237
    Having great fun with it, in a crew with RL friends only, think that is what makes it as fun as it is. this game is more like a borderlands game than a mmo imo.
    Mikeha
  • Pastor_DamePastor_Dame Member UncommonPosts: 37
    edited November 2017
    "Lord of the Rings Online makes great use of instancing to present historic narrative. Those older locations could be revisited as part of a "flashback". There is a lot of potential for this version of the game if they choose to realize it."

That would be an interesting take. I would love to see Bungie expand the game to include flashbacks. For newer players, this would provide some nice context.
    [Deleted User]
  • Righteous_RockRighteous_Rock Member RarePosts: 1,234
    I shook my head from Day 1 of this games announcement, D1 was hyped so much ( 10 year replay ability type game) it was not even close and instead of building the game up they decide to create a new one with basically everything staying very similar to the first game, their direction has turned from a game with dedicated community to a game of rinse and repeat like madden and call of duty, those types of games have their followers, but it’s not the base of people who expect more sophistication and a sense of world and community that they marketed the game to.
  • Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    A misstake is probably the wrong word but I think they released the sequel 2 years too early... As Kano said do they earn lots of cash on it but they would have earned at least as much with a 2019 release which also would have allowed them to make the graphics rather better making it feels less like an expansion.
  • ArskaaaArskaaa Member RarePosts: 1,265
    it was not hard see game fails. just look Division...
    pantaro
  • ValentinaValentina Member RarePosts: 2,079
    I don't think it was a mistake, no. It's a really fun game. D1 launched with the same issues, but it took them years to get it sorted out, they've moved quicker to address the issues this time around.
    MikehaPhixion13Ayinchojin2k
  • ElvocElvoc Member RarePosts: 546
    edited November 2017
    I enjoyed the Storyline and I am wondering if the only reason they didn't just make the story an expansion to Destiny 1 was because of the PC release. My guess is all future content and updates will just be upgrading and enhancing Destiny 2 since its on PC now. They just needed more time to get Destiny 1 ported over to PC :)
  • ShaighShaigh Member EpicPosts: 2,142
    Loke666 said:
    A misstake is probably the wrong word but I think they released the sequel 2 years too early... As Kano said do they earn lots of cash on it but they would have earned at least as much with a 2019 release which also would have allowed them to make the graphics rather better making it feels less like an expansion.
    Expect destiny 3 in 2020, that can't happen if you waited until 2019 to release destiny 2.
    Iselin: And the next person who says "but it's a business, they need to make money" can just go fuck yourself.
  • ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
    But....but ... but .. it was going to change the MMO landscape ... smh
    pantaroIselincameltosis
  • jmcdermottukjmcdermottuk Member RarePosts: 1,571
    Having tried the beta for Destiny 2 I had a sneaking suspicion that it would be lacking in content. I'm really glad I chose not to buy it.

I do think that the article is unfair in one major regard though. Destiny is not an MMO, nor is Destiny 2 so they shouldn't be compared to games like WoW. Yes, it is persistant (allegedly) and, yes it has RPG elements but it's not massively multiplayer. It does look, though, like Destiny 2 is more along the lines of a DLC or expac when compared to Destiny, they just lost part of the map in the process. How silly of Bungie.

Yeah, definitely dodged a bullet on this one.
  • Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    Never played the first one. Having a great time with this one. Glad I got it.
    [Deleted User]jgDuffayJHLotBMrMelGibson

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• MagikarpsGhostMagikarpsGhost Member RarePosts: 689

Murmaider said:

I'm not going to lie, I'm one of the suckers that pre ordered the $100 digital version on the PS4.

I spent many hours and days playing the first game.

Hell, my wife says I've practically played it our entire marriage.

Yes it can be short on content and I do get bored some times.

But I was lucky enough to join an awesome clan that groups up for everything and it keeps it all fresh.

What people do not get is d1 has more content due to the dlcs when it first launched it was WORSE then d2 hell I got bored after a week. I'm still on d2 though I guess it's due to the fact I don't rush anymore. Now days it seems games simply hate to hate and feel as if they should get more yet honestly it's the price if 2 movies popcorn and a soda here in California and I get more hours of entertainment in d2.
    MrMelGibsonAyin

free 7 day sub and unlocks for swtor new accounts and 90+ day inactive subs click here to get it!

Click here for trove referral, bonuses to both!

• AsariashaAsariasha Member UncommonPosts: 252
    I'm a PC player. When I first heard about Destiny, I was so mad that Bungie did not release it on PC. With Destiny 2, I finally am able to enjoy this fantastic world. I like the characters, the story, the aesthetics and soundtrack. In general, I enjoy the game, but to be honest, and I'm not comparing Destiny 2 to a MMO with content of a 5-y cycle on the back, while the product quality is superb, the lack of content and polish is something that is an annoying factor:

- lack of lore
    - potential of characters not exploited to the full (Cayde-6 plays a bigger role in marketing than in game) - very low number of different armor and weapon skins
    - item system feels unpolished with little options

I already purchased the season pass and will see, if Bungie delivers.

Bottom line: I like it but have mixed feelings. ^^
    JHLotB
  • TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297
    I'm pretty sure that after getting the box sales again for basically the same game.. they ain't considering it a mistake.

Destiny was never about making a good game, it was about making a cash cow. They've got away with it twice.
    AlomarpantaroPhixion13infomatzAyin
    I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
  • AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    I'm pretty sure that after getting the box sales again for basically the same game.. they ain't considering it a mistake.

Destiny was never about making a good game, it was about making a cash cow. They've got away with it twice.
    My thoughts exactly. They called it "Destiny 2" instead of just releasing Destiny 1 for PC because it would pull from the console market to get them to purchase the same title again (some saying an inferior title to the original) while also tapping into the PC market. From a business stand point, it was genius because PC players were begging for Destiny 1 to be on PC anyway and there's a huge loyal Destiny 1 crowd on the console front that feel that Activision/Bungie can do no wrong even if they have their hands in their wallets. Heck, even helps youtubers/reporting sites cause they usually get high amounts of traffic from those loyalists.
    beebop500
  • Geddon95405Geddon95405 Member UncommonPosts: 111
    oh bungie made TONS of content for Destiny 2 - just that they held back 70% of it to sell as DLC for the next 2 years

really, the game is great if you can just time travel 2 years forward and buy the final complete version
    jgDuffayAyin

Crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and hear the lamentations of their women...