Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The 10 Most Wanted MMOs of 2018 - The List - MMORPG.com

Comments

• MaxBaconMaxBacon Member LegendaryPosts: 7,765
    Worlds Adrift and Dual Universe indeed.

Also can't forget Life is Feudal MMO.
  • GolelornGolelorn Member RarePosts: 1,395
    Devs still make MMOs?
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,435
    edited November 2017
    MaxBacon said:
    Worlds Adrift and Dual Universe indeed.

Also can't forget Life is Feudal MMO.
    As with SC, I think they consider LiFO already in some form of playable early access.

Or they are just haters.  :)

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

I"ve been enjoying the "Top 10" lists, and not feeling too disagreeable about them, but this one has disappointed me. The premise is part of the problem -- including expansions? Oh come, on, yeah, they may bring players back, but they're not NEW and they can't be all that much different, as additions to existing games. I do like the idea of including pre-release versions that will allow public participation, though. I have enjoyed "alpha" and even "pre-alpha" testing, although it's not the same as playing a playable game.

And maybe I'm overlooking an exception, but these are ALL "knights in armor" games! Either Fantasy or Medieval, and I guess New World will be slightly post-Medieval, but still... zzZZZZzzzZZZzzzz

I don't know when they'll meet the conditions for this list, but the games I am watching are Dual Universe, Worlds Adrift, and three contenders for "spiritual successor to City of Heroes": Ship of Heroes, Valiance, and City of Titans.*

Now THOSE will be some NEW and DIFFERENT games.

*(I would also pick up my ears if I heard of plans for a major revamp of Champions Online, DCUO, or Marvel Online.)
    Likely the author(s) don't care for Sci Fi or Superhero games, on the latter I would have to agree with them. ;)

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

Kyleran said:
    As with SC, I think they consider LiFO already in some form of playable early access.

Or they are just haters.  :)
    LIF is actually meant to release the beta in a few days... hmm, conspiracy! \o/

• Ice-QueenIce-Queen Member UncommonPosts: 2,483
    I'm looking forward to Camelot Unchained and Amazon's New World. Those are the only 2 on my radar atm. :)

What happens when you log off your characters????.....
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFQhfhnjYMk
    Dark Age of Camelot

edited November 2017
    MaxBacon said:
    What? No Star Citizen? :)
    I noticed, some weird terms they used to place games there, I guess they consider some sort of alpha/beta/release expected in 2018 to set that list, so that would exclude SC being already playable in alpha.

Though deff more anticipated than games listed like Phanteon, CU, CoE, AoC and Crowfall. 

Also interesting how Crowdfunding literally dominates this list.
    The confusion here well highlights why consistency in usage of words, (sand box)  acronyms (MMO) and even concepts (launching or releasing) is such a sticking point with me.

I realize language can change, but if we move too far away from their original intent, broaden them too greatly then they become largely meaningless. (Unless another term which is a better choice has taken its place.)

15 years ago there would have been almost universal agreement on what was a "released" game and one in "beta" testing.

Then the damnfool Asian games came along redefining the term beta by accepting cash and making them near never ending and down the slippery slope we went.

Now you can't even use the terms released or launched without modifiers such as fully, pre-Alpha or early access, or even further, accepting money, final wipe or now I see we are using "generally open to the public."

Even then there's much confusion over what exactly "alpha" or "beta"  testing really mean or what level of playability the game is really in..

Friends and family,  beta 1, 2, 3 4, alpha 16.9, it seems there's no end to the qualifiers, nor it seems the time it takes to ever really "launch", at least by the original definition.

Heck, now we get expansions and paid DLCs before actual launch...go figure.

Yeah, we're in hell now.  ;)
    ForgrimmSlapshot1188DavodtheTutt

• btdtbtdt Member RarePosts: 523
    Let's be honest here... doesn't matter whether the game is good or crap, if it gets released in any playable form, people will flock to it out of boredom. That's how it has played out for umpteen years.

There's your list...
  • ShaighShaigh Member EpicPosts: 2,142
    Upcoming MMOs of 2016
    Camelot Unchained / Q4 2016 / Launch (or Late Beta)
    Chronicles of Elyria / Q3 2016 / Alpha Access
    Crowfall / Q4 2016 / Launch (or Late Beta)
    Pantheon: Rise of the Fallen / 2016 / Beta

I bet ashes of creation will be on these list a long time as well.
    ForgrimmNildenDavodtheTutt
    Iselin: And the next person who says "but it's a business, they need to make money" can just go fuck yourself.
    Kyleran said:
    The confusion here well highlights why consistency in usage of words, (sand box)  acronyms (MMO) and even concepts (launching or releasing) is such a sticking point with me.

I realize language can change, but if we move too far away from their original intent, broaden them too greatly then they become largely meaningless. (Unless another term which is a better choice has taken its place.)

15 years ago there would have been almost universal agreement on what was a "released" game and one in "beta" testing.

Then the damnfool Asian games came along redefining the term beta by accepting cash and making them near never ending and down the slippery slope we went.

Now you can't even use the terms released or launched without modifiers such as fully, pre-Alpha or early access, or even further, accepting money, final wipe or now I see we are using "generally open to the public."

Even then there's much confusion over what exactly "alpha" or "beta"  testing really mean or what level of playability the game is really in..

Friends and family,  beta 1, 2, 3 4, alpha 16.9, it seems there's no end to the qualifiers, nor it seems the time it takes to ever really "launch", at least by the original definition.

Heck, now we get expansions and paid DLCs before actual launch...go figure.

Yeah, we're in hell now.  ;)
    The released MMO should be pretty clear in one aspect, the most common thing on before launch is the end of stuff like progression wipes, in terms of development and etc that context is these days very irrelevant to the whole thing.

Just you see Fortnite, it's early access sure but the game is released, there's no progression wipes so all you play now persists through what they will call the released game.

It's a different reality today, and in the MMO genre with the number of crowdfunded/indie projects the reality is the money has to roll in first to fund the development instead of the oposite.

In the other side of the coin, you have big companies/publishers doing that when they have more than the financial capability, just wanting profits as soon as possible.
  • scooby1971scooby1971 Member UncommonPosts: 17
    Pantheon is where I will be going! but certainly some exciting upcoming MMO's on the list.
    [Deleted User]
  • mgilbrtsnmgilbrtsn Member EpicPosts: 3,430
    Let's give math another chance, eh?

Non-crowdfunded titles:
    - Project W
    - BLESS
    - New World
    - World of Warcraft: Next Expansion
    - ESO: Next Chapter
    -------------------------
    5 games in total

Crowdfunded titles:
    - Chronicles of Elyria
    - Pantheon: Rise of the Fallen
    - Camelot Unchained
    - Ashes of Creation
    - Crowfall
    -------------------------
    5 games in total

Now excuse me, I am a little slow. But how the fuck this list is dominated by crowdfunded games?! And consider they have listed every single AAA MMO in development, even brought on expansions and freaking DLCs to not to fill their list with crowdfunded projects, and yet people nag about ...

You are mistaken. I've read a lot of these threads and it's established that there will never be an AAA title because the genre is dying.

ConstantineMerus

I self identify as a monkey.

Iselin said: u745765
    I gotta say that including expansions and chapters in this list just reinforces how slim the pickings are.
    If you don't include the ESO and WOW expansions there are no "AAA" games on the list.

• gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919
    So we have a game we don't know anything about; a game we don't know anything about; an expansion we don't know anything about; and an expansion we don't know anything about.

Add in some titles that we "know" are not going to launch in 2018

Hmm smells fishy - but as Bill says the list needs padding with unknowns and possible, maybe early test releases to get to ten titles.
  • TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,739
    No MMO will ever launch again...Pre-alpha, alpha, and beta are too profitable to risk release.
    KyleranDavodtheTutt
  • HarikenHariken Member EpicPosts: 2,680

Greed and pleasing the masses killed the mmorpg genre. You can buy an island plot in crowfall for 4500$ Wich is ridiculous.

I partly agree with you, but Crowfall is quite bad example for that one. I mean, OK you can buy that plot (which, oh by the way, noone is doing) and then do...what?

Yeah but you know someone will buy it. And this is why game companies are greedy because of it. The genre has turned into garbage because of people willing to spend this kind of money for pixel on a screen. It seems like every game post wow is turned into garbage about milking as much money as they can and gamers are ok with this. I don't play modern mmo's anymore. Any old school mmo pre wow is better than these new ones. Any mmo with a small player base and small dev team is what to look for or an emulator.
    Kyleran
  • Azaron_NightbladeAzaron_Nightblade Member EpicPosts: 4,829
    DMKano said:
    Lots more in the works that are completely unannounced and will be playable in 2018.
    That'd be an impressive feat. Most MMOs have always gone announced (hyped) for years before they actually released.

My SWTOR referral link for those wanting to give the game a try. (Newbies get a welcome package while returning players get a few account upgrades to help with their preferred status.)

https://www.ashesofcreation.com/ref/Callaron/

mgilbrtsn said:
    You are mistaken. I've read a lot of these threads and it's established that there will never be an AAA title because the genre is dying.
    There may be. The problem still lies on the lack of ambition, people worn down of getting more of the same and the cost of making a large-scale MMO is not really grabbing much attention from big companies.
  • BloodaxesBloodaxes Member EpicPosts: 4,662
    DMKano said:
    Lots more in the works that are completely unannounced and will be playable in 2018.
    Anything you can say about said games without breaking nda? i.e Pve/Pvp, fantasy/sci-fi and so on.

• Jyd111Jyd111 Member UncommonPosts: 27
    Will there ever be a game creator that will create a game along the lines of SWG. I keep hoping someone would take on that project. It would not have to be Star Wars themed just a game that had everything going on in it like SWG. Or maybe there is and I have just missed hearing about it, just tired of all the cookie cutter games. Let the ranting begin!
    DavodtheTutt

Give me back SWG at sunset and keep adding to it and I would pay twice what it was costing.

• steamtanksteamtank Member UncommonPosts: 391
    World of Warcraft classic needs to be updated into the #1 spot
    Nilden
  • NildenNilden Member EpicPosts: 3,916
    steamtank said:
    World of Warcraft classic needs to be updated into the #1 spot
    It will crush anything that comes out near it. Hell I would just write WoW classic ten times, much better list.
    KyleranConstantineMerusPhry

"You CAN'T buy ships for RL money." - MaxBacon

"classification of games into MMOs is not by rational reasoning" - nariusseldon

Love Minecraft. And check out my Youtube channel OhCanadaGamer

Try a MUD today at http://www.mudconnect.com/ 

• GkarrGkarr Member UncommonPosts: 46
    Kinda surprised Anthem didn't make the list. It might take away some of the thunder from Destiny 2.

Phry
  • Azaron_NightbladeAzaron_Nightblade Member EpicPosts: 4,829
    Gkarr said:
    Kinda surprised Anthem didn't make the list. It might take away some of the thunder from Destiny 2.

People would complain it's "not a real MMO" then.
    Granted, we're always going to bitch about something. :D

My SWTOR referral link for those wanting to give the game a try. (Newbies get a welcome package while returning players get a few account upgrades to help with their preferred status.)

https://www.ashesofcreation.com/ref/Callaron/

• ThorssonThorsson Member UncommonPosts: 20
    MMORPGs are dead; the corpse just hasn't realised it yet. When you read how much people are spending on these "F2P" games then you understand why all the development is going there. Hopefully the wheel will turn...
    Azaron_NightbladeOzmodan