Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

CitizenCon 2017: Greatest game ever in creation

OrinoriOrinori Member RarePosts: 751
edited October 2017 in Star Citizen
Please roll up to witness the greatest game to ever be conceived in mid creation. Thanks to the exceptional Chris Roberts with his amazing vision and management skills and all of those those at CIG.

(should start at 11m 39s)

also just a quick recap of GamesCom and the (mostly) 3.0 build that Evocati are currently running around in for us.

Post edited by Orinori on
GdemamiOdeezeeFrodoFraginsErillionCoticJemAs666WalkinGlenn

Comments

• OrinoriOrinori Member RarePosts: 751
    edited October 2017
    Please enjoy some footage from the battleground game Star Marine in Alpha. Looking forward to also engaging in ground battles like this around some of the lawless planets and stations like Grim Hex. 

A short video of some footage from the battleground game Arena Commander in Alpha.

Post edited by Orinori on
    GdemamiWalkinGlenn
  • GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342
    2nd try...?
    edited October 2017
    Gdemami said:
    2nd try...?
    Just trying to promote the game to those who might be unaware or unable to visualize what Star Citizen might look and play like as a final product. 
    GdemamiOdeezee
  • VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,882
    edited October 2017
    Witness also the greatest ship ever leaving on her maiden voyage:

SolturnoFrodoFraginsTalonsinJamesGoblinlaxiekikoodutroa8JemAs666MightyUncleanCoatedOdeezeeand 3 others.

The Titanic was indeed a great ship, so sad that more than 1500 people died that day.
  • SEANMCADSEANMCAD Member EpicPosts: 16,775
    I didnt get to watch much of the video but what I did see and hear (again not everything) suggests to me that although the cities are procedural and expansive I bet you most of those buildings are not accessible or have one store for example, I doubt each of those buildings as 100+ explorable floors.

Please do not respond to me, even if I ask you a question, its rhetorical.

Please do not respond to me

edited October 2017
    SEANMCAD said:
    I didnt get to watch much of the video but what I did see and hear (again not everything) suggests to me that although the cities are procedural and expansive I bet you most of those buildings are not accessible or have one store for example, I doubt each of those buildings as 100+ explorable floors.

I understand that the tool they developed could actually make every building accessible and have multiple floors, however that would be a big waste of time and a massive drain on our computers I am sure. CIG will probably focus on fleshing out specific areas like Area 18 and Area 17 etc. to keep points of interest compact, relevant and looking as good as can be.

What I am hoping they could do with this technology though is to generate interiors on the fly for random missions that could end up in any building, anywhere on the planet. How about a nice chase of some bounty wth your ship in between those city buildings and then chase them into their HQ for a mass ground gunfight in some unknown area? call for back up? Could be fun.  
    Gdemami
    Orinori said:
    SEANMCAD said:

I understand that the tool they developed could actually make every building accessible and have multiple floors, however that would be a big waste of time and a massive drain on our computers I am sure. CIG will probably focus on fleshing out specific areas like Area 18 and Area 17 etc. to keep points of interest compact, relevant and looking as good as can be.

What I am hoping they could do with this technology though is to generate interiors on the fly for random missions that could end up in any building, anywhere on the planet. How about a nice chase of some bounty wth your ship in between those city buildings and then chase them into their HQ for a mass ground gunfight in some unknown area? call for back up? Could be fun.  
    that would be awesome.

I would think its possible, granted 7 days to die is not super res game but the principles of procedural generation would be the same I think.
    So you could have a model for the shell of the building and a model for the building interior and the interior only gets generated when you go into it.
    Gdemami

• CallsignVegaCallsignVega Member UncommonPosts: 288
    SEANMCAD said:

Of course they don't. Nor would you want them to. That's like saying you want to be able to visit all buildings on Earth. Talk about boring. Only less than 0.00001% of buildings are interesting enough to want to go inside. 
  • Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    The greatest game ever made is Tetris, 33 years old and still popular but thanks for the vids. :)
    Octagon7711
    edited October 2017
    Loke666 said:
    The greatest game ever made is Tetris, 33 years old and still popular but thanks for the vids. :)
    I am sure Star citizen could pop Tetris in as some side mobi glass mini game, would be cool! sadly I don't think it could be done the other way around.

Glad you liked the vids :)
  • KefoKefo Member EpicPosts: 4,229
    Orinori said:
    Loke666 said:
    I am sure Star citizen could pop Tetris in as some side mobi glass mini game, would be cool! sadly I don't think it could be done the other way around.

Why would you want to play a tech demo inside Tetris? You play Tetris for the challenge and because it's fun not because it has bleeding edge graphics
    Odeezee
    Kefo said:
    Orinori said:
    Loke666 said:

Why would you want to play a tech demo inside Tetris? You play Tetris for the challenge and because it's fun not because it has bleeding edge graphics

You wouldn't want to! Tetris is a simple problem solution loop that provides dopamine hits. It's a small step up from matching shapes to the holes that all toddlers have done for decades!

Modern day games like Star Citizen can now represent the culmination of entertainment through accumulative arts and science with their incredible story telling, their atmospheric and world setting through use of amazing art and physics that often include 'bleeding edge graphics', soundtracks with full orchestral scores composed by great musicians which all together can further our relationship and understanding of our surrounding environment and setting the scene for compelling and interactive gameplay.

Tetris while providing 5 minutes of 'fun', is simplistic and basic, it could be tacked on as one of the many mini games and be seamlessly included in the Star Citizen universe and would go pretty much completely unnoticed alongside this behemoth of cutting edge exploration into modern day arts. You could not say this could ever be the case the other way around.
    Gdemami
  • btdtbtdt Member RarePosts: 523
    Riddle me this...

Will your time enjoying the game exceed the time spent waiting for the game?  Right now I think people have to play the game at least 5 years non-stop just to get back to ground zero... that's the point in which people generally start playing a game for the very first time. 

If more people said, "I will not spend another red cent on Star Citizen until it is actually released" it will either die quickly on the vine or get released toot sweet.  So long as you're giving them a paycheck, they have no real reason to release it.  If they release it, you may decide you hate it and then they'd be out of a job because there would be no reason to keep them.  If they don't release it, they can keep tweaking it for all eternity and be guaranteed a job for all that time.

This game will be in development for all eternity.
    Odeezee
    btdt said:
    Riddle me this...

Will your time enjoying the game exceed the time spent waiting for the game?  Right now I think people have to play the game at least 5 years non-stop just to get back to ground zero... that's the point in which people generally start playing a game for the very first time. 

If more people said, "I will not spend another red cent on Star Citizen until it is actually released" it will either die quickly on the vine or get released toot sweet.  So long as you're giving them a paycheck, they have no real reason to release it.  If they release it, you may decide you hate it and then they'd be out of a job because there would be no reason to keep them.  If they don't release it, they can keep tweaking it for all eternity and be guaranteed a job for all that time.

This game will be in development for all eternity.
    All ready playing parts of the game in early access some of which can be seen in the videos in the OP.

As to second part, do the videos in the OP look like they are 'just tweaking things'?  This is Chris Roberts trying to create his Opus Magnus.
    Gdemami
  • rodarinrodarin Member EpicPosts: 2,611
    You forgot the word "never'' in the thread title.
    WalkinGlennOdeezee
  • thyraventhyraven Member UncommonPosts: 59
    Another No Mans Sky then. Just an empty game. Fun times that was.
    No i have not seen the whole video.
    Odeezee
    thyraven said:
    Another No Mans Sky then. Just an empty game. Fun times that was.
    No i have not seen the whole video.
    well at least regarding questions about release and what is or is not in the game but to be fair NMS on paper really wasnt anything remotely close to this unless you consider a cartoon the same thing.
    Gdemami

• CryomatrixCryomatrix Member EpicPosts: 3,223
    I have never supported a game via kickstarter or pledged anything. The game looks sweet, yes it is taking forever to release and people are becoming skeptical but be optimistic, this may be an amazing game. I'll just do what I am doing, when it releases, I'll watch some gameplay, read some reviews and maybe jump in. If i'm behind the times, that's fine, the journey is fun when you have to earn everything. 

Cryomatrix
    Orinori
    Catch me streaming at twitch.tv/cryomatrix
    You can see my sci-fi/WW2 book recommendations. 
  • Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    One thing you learn as you follow games over the years.  The plan seldom ends up being as good as the presentation, if only it did.  

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey