Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The 10 Most Wanted MMOs of 2018 - The List - MMORPG.com

Comments

• NildenNilden Member EpicPosts: 3,916
    superdog GIF

Thread need saving? OMW
    JamesGoblinRobsolfGorwe

"You CAN'T buy ships for RL money." - MaxBacon

"classification of games into MMOs is not by rational reasoning" - nariusseldon

Love Minecraft. And check out my Youtube channel OhCanadaGamer

Try a MUD today at http://www.mudconnect.com/ 

• MaxBaconMaxBacon Member LegendaryPosts: 7,766
    The lack of Star Citizen jokes in this thread is troubling...

Troubling indeed.
  • ZandogZandog Member UncommonPosts: 97
    It's seems pretty obvious (IMO) that 2018 will be another dried up year for new MMORPG releases. None of the big four, Ashes of Creation, Crowfall, Chronicles of Elyria, Camelot Unchained will make it into a strong beta candidate. It'll be the year of co-op and single player games once again. Oh and Star Citizen was released.. apparently. I just may be desperate enough to buy Bless... D:
    Every time Goonsquad/SA/DS post salt on Star Citizen, I spend more money on it. Every time a mentally disturbed former backer or Elite CMDR toxic emo comments, I spend more money on it. Every time they refuse to answer why they spend so much time arguing about a game they don't even like, I spend more money on it. Want to watch the world burn because you can't have your way? You got whats coming to you.
  • SEANMCADSEANMCAD Member EpicPosts: 16,775
    MaxBacon said:
    Now excuse me, I am a little slow. But how the fuck this list is dominated by crowdfunded games?! And consider they have listed every single AAA MMO in development, even brought on expansions and freaking DLCs to not to fill their list with crowdfunded projects, and yet people nag about ...
    O_o I didn't do the math the first thing that popped when seeing the list was many crowdfunded titles as the most anticipated MMOs.

Independent of the exact stats, it still is huge comparing to the past, that today crowdfunded MMOs represent so much of what is being expected in the future within the genre.
    If there were many MMORPGs under development by AAA companies then we wouldn't be having all these crowdfunded ones going on. Out of those 5, 2 are expansions, 2 are Korean and only 1 is actually a game being developed in the west right now. 
    I think (but dont know for sure) that if they were making MMOs it would be the exact same formula of game play they have always done. There was a time when that was possible because it was really the only option a player had. Now with so many options of game play, they have lost 'control' over the market which they worked so hard to put into place and now maybe steping back to think about a different approach.

This may very well all be tinfoil hat of me with 100% of it wrong but its where my gut is pointing at the moment
    ConstantineMerus

Please do not respond to me, even if I ask you a question, its rhetorical.

Please do not respond to me

Zandog said:
    Oh and Star Citizen was released.. apparently. I just may be desperate enough to buy Bless... D:
    ik right haha, though better stay away from Bless Online. I just run away as quickly as possible, korean grinders never again.
    Ozmodan
  • Azaron_NightbladeAzaron_Nightblade Member EpicPosts: 4,829
    MaxBacon said:
    The lack of Star Citizen jokes in this thread is troubling...

Troubling indeed.
    SC is probably the most anticipated MMO out there atm. But it's probably been on previous lists the last couple of years on this site, like someone else mentioned. Not sure if they didn't include it for that reason, because it meets their criteria for already "released" or because they know it likely isn't going to be a 2018 release. Then again, it probably has a better chance of releasing in 2018 than some of the other KS titles on that list, which are barely beyond concept phase.

My SWTOR referral link for those wanting to give the game a try. (Newbies get a welcome package while returning players get a few account upgrades to help with their preferred status.)

https://www.ashesofcreation.com/ref/Callaron/

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    Only Pantheon and that is going to be a huge maybe,could be,should have been for me.

I auto write off any studio trying to build a game on blind funds,just winging it for as long as people keep giving them money,so that is like 99% of the market now a days.

In some ways it is good news to not have many to look forward to because a really good mmorpg needs time,a lot of time,so they should not be popping up every few weeks.Anything else is as the title says ,a mmo,not interested in ANY mmo that is not a rpg.
    A simple login to be labeled a mmo is to me just there to run their cash shops...a BIG no thanks to that bs.

I believe this site has missed the boat on what i feel will actually be the best game albeit ruined by cash shops and that is the FFXI reboot for IOS.It will easily be the best ever IOS game...period,weather you like it or not and to me since i know it's core design,the game will be the best mmorpg to look forward to.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

SC is probably the most anticipated MMO out there atm. But it's probably been on previous lists the last couple of years on this site, like someone else mentioned. Not sure if they didn't include it for that reason, because it meets their criteria for already "released" or because they know it likely isn't going to be a 2018 release. Then again, it probably has a better chance of releasing in 2018 than some of the other KS titles on that list, which are barely beyond concept phase.
    Yeah because if we account for ESO and WoW we would be talking expansions, not new MMO's. Even against Bless Online / Black Desert Online SC still trends higher currently.

But I think yes SC has not announced anything specifically for 2018, just continuation of the alpha updates, should be where the reasoning for it is.

Azaron_Nightblade
  • UNH0LYEV1LUNH0LYEV1L Member UncommonPosts: 571
    Jesus if this is the best of for 2018 we are all in deep shit!
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,010
    I just don't think expansions should be on there. It's "most wanted mmo's" so an expansion feels a little like cheating. I mean, one could do a "most wanted expansions" list for that.
    Azaron_Nightblade
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
    Jesus if this is the best of for 2018 we are all in deep shit!
    With most of the big names running away from developing MMOs, and with crowdfunded/indie MMOs under heavy fire from gamers... there isn't that much going on.

Decay would be the word.
  • SamhaelSamhael Member RarePosts: 1,498

Ironclad said:

If the past is any example, I'm sure we'll be let down hard.

Yeah, the last couple of years haven't been kind for new MMOs.
  • SamhaelSamhael Member RarePosts: 1,498

MaxBacon said:

What? No Star Citizen? :)

I noticed, some weird terms they used to place games there, I guess they consider some sort of alpha/beta/release expected in 2018 to set that list, so that would exclude SC being already playable in alpha.

Though deff more anticipated than games listed like Phanteon, CU, CoE, AoC and Crowfall. 

Also interesting how Crowdfunding literally dominates this list.

Except they have already released MMOs on there for their expansions. So yeah, the criteria is really wishy washy for this list.
    edited October 2017
    Samhael said:
    Except they have already released MMOs on there for their expansions. So yeah, the criteria is really wishy washy for this list.
    I don't think it's really fair.

This because while some MMOs have the expansion model, others do major free updates that equal to expansions themselves and those will never be listed because they aren't sold separately. That would be the main reason to exclude paid expansions from a list as this.
  • Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,985
    MaxBacon said:
    Samhael said:
    I don't think it's really fair.

This because while some MMOs have the expansion model, others do major free updates that equal to expansions themselves and those will never be listed because they aren't sold separately. That would be the main reason to exclude paid expansions from a list as this.
    I think you need to put down that this is your opinion and NOT a proven fact.   It's possible that they could include games with free expansions and updates.  You state NEVER as though it's a fact...

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

I think you need to put down that this is your opinion and NOT a proven fact.   It's possible that they could include games with free expansions and updates.  You state NEVER as though it's a fact... 
    Well, I can speak from what I've seen in the "upcoming games" lists the major free expansions that are common in F2P MMOs are not included but the paid ones are, maybe they have considered both the paid and free expansions in this sort of lists before and I've missed it.
  • Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,985
    edited October 2017
    MaxBacon said:
    Well, I can speak from what I've seen in the "upcoming games" lists the major free expansions that are common in F2P MMOs are not included but the paid ones are, maybe they have considered both the paid and free expansions in this sort of lists before and I've missed it.
    OK good so please be sure to state that in the future.  You do now know for a FACT that they will NEVER be included.

PS: Sorry Max.. I confused you with Sean.  My bad.  Since this is not Sean... the joke is not funny.  Sad... would have been good.

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

PS: Sorry Max.. I confused you with Sean.  My bad.  Since this is not Sean... the joke is not funny.  Sad... would have been good.
    Oh that's why your first reply was like you were responding to the Spanish Inquisition. 
    Slapshot1188ConstantineMerus
  • AsheramAsheram Member EpicPosts: 5,071
    edited November 2017
    According to this video CoE is creating its own genre so maybe it shouldn't be on this list.
    I kid I kid :p

Post edited by Asheram on
    Slapshot1188JamesGoblin
  • blackthornnblackthornn Member UncommonPosts: 615
    Despite any feelings for the yes and no's of this list:

"I mean, despite the game’s ups and downs, a lot of us here have very strong ties to Azeroth, its characters, and nostalgia plays a big part in any MMO game’s lifetime." Is probably the worst written, impossible to read dogpile of verbage i have ever seen in a 'professional' article.
     Grouping in Old school mmo's: meeting someone at the bar and chatting, getting to know them before jumping into bed.  Current mmo's grouping: tinder.  swipe, hookup, hope you don't get herpes, never see them again.
  • DavodtheTuttDavodtheTutt Member UncommonPosts: 415
    I"ve been enjoying the "Top 10" lists, and not feeling too disagreeable about them, but this one has disappointed me. The premise is part of the problem -- including expansions? Oh come, on, yeah, they may bring players back, but they're not NEW and they can't be all that much different, as additions to existing games. I do like the idea of including pre-release versions that will allow public participation, though. I have enjoyed "alpha" and even "pre-alpha" testing, although it's not the same as playing a playable game.

And maybe I'm overlooking an exception, but these are ALL "knights in armor" games! Either Fantasy or Medieval, and I guess New World will be slightly post-Medieval, but still... zzZZZZzzzZZZzzzz

I don't know when they'll meet the conditions for this list, but the games I am watching are Dual Universe, Worlds Adrift, and three contenders for "spiritual successor to City of Heroes": Ship of Heroes, Valiance, and City of Titans.*

Now THOSE will be some NEW and DIFFERENT games.

*(I would also pick up my ears if I heard of plans for a major revamp of Champions Online, DCUO, or Marvel Online.)
    Ozmodan
  • KooturKootur Member UncommonPosts: 352

Ironclad said:

If the past is any example, I'm sure we'll be let down hard.

Yeah no kidding, I hate to be negative but It's like 1 in 100 mmos actually turn out to be hits.
    KyleranHuntrezz
  • acidbloodacidblood Member RarePosts: 878
    I'm not sure 2018 will necessarily be any better for MMOs than 2017, but it should at least be a bit more interesting and hopefully answer the question 'Can a KickStarter MMO be any good?'
  • Possum6381Possum6381 Member CommonPosts: 8
    "However, in just another 6 weeks or so we’ll all be seeing how it feels to play in Intrepid’s world as the Alpha 0 test will be going live and players are expected to share their experiences with streams, videos, and more."

That would be a mistake on their part. Alpha 0 will have an NDA. Those who share may get their accounts banned.
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    I gotta say that including expansions and chapters in this list just reinforces how slim the pickings are.
    ConstantineMerusAzaron_NightbladeKyleranNildenMadFrenchie
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED