Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

New Ship - Introductory Price of $850

Comments

• Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    I don't think insurance and upkeep are known at the moment.  Plus a lot of the packages come with in-game cash.  Not to mention being able to buy in-game cash.  There is a limit to how much you can have.

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• Viper482Viper482 Member LegendaryPosts: 4,065
    Izzin said:
    Viper482 said:

Passive aggressive with people who disagree with you eh? Very mature. Answer a couple of questions for me since I am ignorant and need to be educated.

1. Is there pvp in this game? 
    2. If so, can one use ships purchased with real life money in pvp?
    3. Do some ships have better dogfighting capes than others?
    4. Can you buy a better ship right now than one you would have setting foot in the game on day one?
    5. If I buy a $100000 ship with real life money....will that ship be better than the newbs who just bought the game without buying ships with real life money.

If you can answer no to 2 thru 5 I will concede that you are right. If you can't....you are wrong. Good luck.

Viper: it is not quite that simple as what you are presenting here. 

1: Yes, there is PVP (there will be some form of match making, unknown as to details at this time come release.)

2: Yes - ships will not be restricted (based on our information, see match making)
    3: This is where things get difficult to respond to.
    - a ship is not like a weapon in other MMO's, you cant just tab target slap a key and win. The ship combat is very much player skill. So the "advantage" for one, could be a massive "disadvantage" to another person.

4: see response 3, better is in the hands of the player using it.  Just because it costs $ does not mean it is better. You will have whales that spend thousands, but wont be able to take off without crashing. 

5: depends, see answer 3 and 4 - stat wise, sure, if you look at raw stats, yes, they are better. But that does not give an exact advantage.

This is an extreme example, if you buy the current Pioneer for $850, that would not give you a combat advantage over a starter ship. There is a very high probability that the starter ship could destroy that expensive ship. This goes equally for someone who bought a cap, and takes it out for  a spin solo, there is an extremely high probability that it will be destroyed. But if fully manned, that is a different story.

I will argue that there will be an advantage, but as I stated in the past, it is unknown at this time how much, or how long that advantage will persist. Each situation will be different, and then you would have to consider if it is an advantage or not. 

The primary advantage that you can not argue against is that the player will not have to earn the funds in game to purchase the hull, and insure the base hull if they have LTI, or package insurance. This is purely a monetary advantage, I will say that I have seen the greatest underdogs exceed the whales in other games out of sure persistence.

So how long will this advantage persist? Once again situational, you don't know if the whales will play 8 hours a week, or 80 hours a week. 

So lets take a step back and attempt to define what it means to "Win" in Star Citizen.
    PVP superiority?
    Largest Bank account?
    Land Acquisition?

Region control? (this is an extrapolation based on colonization of a non patrolled system).

Taking each of those topics you could then make a case for/against real money advantage.

edit: fixing some typos

--Izz

Thank you for the insightful and tactful response. Sean....take note. This is how you present your opinion. 
    Kefo
    Make MMORPG's Great Again!
  • OdeezeeOdeezee Member UncommonPosts: 69
    all these pages of discussion about the Pioneer but it seems as though everyone has negelected to even view the in-game trailer for it.

i HIGHLY recommend everyone take a look. i want some form of in-game world video for each and every new ship in-game like they used to from now on. it started again with the Nox and 600i and i just want it to continue.

let me know your thoughts of this video below.

"Cherish the quiet...before my STORM!"
    For a $5/5000 in-game credit bonus for backing Star Citizen (MMO) or Squadron 42 (Single Player/Co-op) use my Referral code: STAR-3QDY-SZBG

• ErillionErillion Member EpicPosts: 10,297
    I really like this video. Great acting. Like Elon Musk doing a speech in SC.

Have fun

Babuinix
  • SEANMCADSEANMCAD Member EpicPosts: 16,775
    Izzin said:
    Slapshot1188 said:
    So compare base "starter" ships to the more advanced type you can buy.   For example it looks like the starter freighter ship has a cargo capacity of 6.    The HULL ship has a cargo capacity of 98,304.  That's 16,384 times the cargo...

Where I come from we call that a clear advantage.

I will agree, this is one of the advantages. 

Now, let me add a few more parameters to this scenario.
    How much does it cost to fuel the Aurora?
    How much does it cost to fuel the HULL?

How many funds do you have left to buy cargo?

You need to take into consideration Fuel to Cost ratio, how much do you have to haul in either ship to break even.

There is an obvious numerical on paper advantage, but on day 1, is it truly an advantage? Or is it a disadvantage to have the Hull over Aurora?

After an initial ramp time, yes, the Hull will far exceed once you get the fund rolling, but how long would the Hull owner need to use his starter ship before he can effectively use the Hull.

One advantage the Hull owner has over the Aurora owner. The Hull owner does not have to earn credits in game to buy the Hull, the newbie Aurora owner has to earn credits to rent/lease/buy the Hull. 

Once again, there is an advantage, but does it have any negative impact on the starting player without it? 

--Izz
    Again.. there is no limit that says you can only buy one.  You can buy EVERY ship if you like and just pick whatever is best suited for that day.

But yes... all that remains to be seen is the magnitude of the advantages.  Those are undetermined.

or you can rent any ship to fit any task for pennies on the dollar.

They do plan to make ships rentable (not 'real' money in game world money)

Please do not respond to me, even if I ask you a question, its rhetorical.

Please do not respond to me

• NildenNilden Member EpicPosts: 3,916
    It's not about the video so much as the price tag/ state of the game.
    Odeezee

"You CAN'T buy ships for RL money." - MaxBacon

"classification of games into MMOs is not by rational reasoning" - nariusseldon

Love Minecraft. And check out my Youtube channel OhCanadaGamer

Try a MUD today at http://www.mudconnect.com/ 

Nilden said:
    It's not about the video so much as the price tag/ state of the game.
    and given all that money you gave them its clear they should be further along..no?

• Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,988
    SEANMCAD said:
    Izzin said:
    Slapshot1188 said:
    So compare base "starter" ships to the more advanced type you can buy.   For example it looks like the starter freighter ship has a cargo capacity of 6.    The HULL ship has a cargo capacity of 98,304.  That's 16,384 times the cargo...

You need to take into consideration Fuel to Cost ratio, how much do you have to haul in either ship to break even.

There is an obvious numerical on paper advantage, but on day 1, is it truly an advantage? Or is it a disadvantage to have the Hull over Aurora?

After an initial ramp time, yes, the Hull will far exceed once you get the fund rolling, but how long would the Hull owner need to use his starter ship before he can effectively use the Hull.

One advantage the Hull owner has over the Aurora owner. The Hull owner does not have to earn credits in game to buy the Hull, the newbie Aurora owner has to earn credits to rent/lease/buy the Hull. 

Once again, there is an advantage, but does it have any negative impact on the starting player without it? 

--Izz
    Again.. there is no limit that says you can only buy one.  You can buy EVERY ship if you like and just pick whatever is best suited for that day.

But yes... all that remains to be seen is the magnitude of the advantages.  Those are undetermined.

Again.  Renting will cost you money in game.  Not paying for the same ship with in game money = advantage.  

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

edited November 2017
    SEANMCAD said:
    Izzin said:
    Slapshot1188 said:

--Izz

Again.  Renting will cost you money in game.  Not paying for the same ship with in game money = advantage.  
    and again...in game to get that in game money you have to do in game tasks which give you in game advantages.

MISSION 1: Here is 100,000 credits, go buy all the steel that can buy, and use this ship to go to the hyper system and here is the fuel you will need. find Mr. X and he will give you 3,000 credits for the mission and you will get 100 xp. you can not use your own ship.

tell me you have never done a mission similar to that, I know I have.

• KefoKefo Member EpicPosts: 4,229
    SEANMCAD said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    Izzin said:
    Slapshot1188 said:

--Izz

and again...in game to get that in game money you have to do in game tasks which give you in game advantages.

MISSION 1: Here is 100,000 credits, go buy all the steel that can buy, and use this ship to go to the hyper system and here is the fuel you will need. find Mr. X and he will give you 3,000 credits for the mission and you will get 100 xp. you can not use your own ship.

You're playing star citizen and got that mission? Didn't realize you could do that!
    edited November 2017
    Kefo said:

You're playing star citizen and got that mission? Didn't realize you could do that!
    I dont have the game. The point is that its a POSSIBLE outcome for the end game.

again

ME: that is it possible that A. ships will give an advantage OR B. ships will not give an advantage. I am suggesting both outcomes for the end game are possible

Slapshot1188: is suggesting there that A. is the only thing that is possible

do you understand yet? or are you still confused?

SEANMCAD said:
    Kefo said:

I dont have the game. The point is that its a POSSIBLE outcome for the end game.

again

ME: that is it possible that A. ships will give an advantage OR B. ships will not give an advantage. I am suggesting both outcomes for the end game are possible

Someone is confused but it's not Kefo or I.

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

edited November 2017
    SEANMCAD said:
    Kefo said:

again

so you find this confusing

ME: the final game could OR could not make ships not have an advantage. It could go either way, either way meaning it could or maybe could not turn out that was, either way, two options of possible outcomes...get it?

you: only one option is possible

I do fully understand that you do understand this but that you are pretending not to because you think it makes you look clever but are you sure it does?

how about that?

SEANMCAD said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    Kefo said:

again

ME: the final game could OR could not make ships not have an advantage. It could go either way, either way meaning it could or maybe could not turn out that was, either way, two options of possible outcomes...get it?

I do fully understand that you do understand this but that you are pretending not to because you think it makes you look clever but are you sure it does?

how about that?
    There is no option B except in your fantasyland.   Everyone else understands that.   The only thing debatable is how much of an advantage there will be.  

how about that?
    There is no option B except in your fantasyland.   Everyone else understands that.   The only thing debatable is how much of an advantage there will be.  
    I suspect you think its clever to illustrate how a 2 min of in game work is an 'advantage' but lets talk material instead of literal despite the fact that I can easily (and have) pointed out that even that 2 mins could become a non-advantage. 
    I ask you again, have you never played a game in which the example Mission I described in detail never was possible or never could have been possible?

SEANMCAD said:

how about that?
    I suspect you think its clever to illustrate how a 2 min of in game work is an 'advantage' but lets talk material instead of literal despite the fact that I can easily (and have) pointed out that even that 2 mins could become a non-advantage. 
    I ask you again, have you never played a game in which the example Mission I described in detail never was possible or never could have been possible?
    Enjoy your fantasy.  I'm not going to enable your silly discussion further.  When it launches you will see the advantage and then can go back to saying "Well I never said there wouldn't be.. just that there might not be".  I get enough of that from my kids.

SEANMCAD said:

how about that?
    Enjoy your fantasy.  I'm not going to enable your silly discussion further.  When it launches you will see the advantage and then can go back to saying "Well I never said there wouldn't be.. just that there might not be".  I get enough of that from my kids.

then on this subject would you please for once stop replying its really annoying. either talk about it or stay out...please
    MadFrenchieSlapshot1188

SEANMCAD said:
    Kefo said:

again

You never prefixed your example with it's possible but presenting it as a fact. You should make sure you prefix all your arguments so that we don't misunderstand here
    Kefo said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    Kefo said:

again

You never prefixed your example with it's possible but presenting it as a fact. You should make sure you prefix all your arguments so that we don't misunderstand here
    thanks...but you get it now despite my error I hope.

SEANMCAD said:
    Kefo said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    Kefo said:

again

No cause you still present absurd examples to try and prove your point when CIG has offered evidence to the contrary
    Slapshot1188
    Kefo said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    Kefo said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    Kefo said:

again

No cause you still present absurd examples to try and prove your point when CIG has offered evidence to the contrary
    so you think the example I gave as a possible mission is absurd and that you have never had a mission remotely similar to that detail. I dont believe you. my desire is for you to stop replying to me, its my request. clearly I cant make you but i would perfer you did not

SEANMCAD said:
    Kefo said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    Kefo said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    Kefo said:

again

so you think the example I gave as a possible mission is absurd and that you have never had a mission remotely similar to that detail. I dont believe you. my desire is for you to stop replying to me, its my request. clearly I cant make you but i would perfer you did not
    Good thing this is a open forum. The example is absurd. It might work in other games but in SC I don't see it flying cause CIG are greedy bastards lol
    edited November 2017
    Kefo said:

Good thing this is a open forum. The example is absurd. It might work in other games but in SC I don't see it flying cause CIG are greedy bastards lol
    wow....that is your answer....wow

ok well I think that view is absurd. Not that they are greedy bastards but that somehow they are different greedy bastards then all other developers and that is the reason this specific mission could not work in this game but can work in other games created by greedy bastards and is absurd to think that it would.

I think that line of logic is absurd.

take care

• Turrican187Turrican187 Member UncommonPosts: 787
    The issue with P2W that I can see with this asset is that it can build basically player housing on planets weeks if not months before a regular player can afford it - This will lead to bases been build at the best spots (i.e. near the cities, fixed POIs) before any regular player has the chance to claim the spot.
    Renting is not an option here because orgs rather sit on their options on claims than just give (rent) it away.

To introduce a "game changer" ship and make it high priced and only accessible to a small crowd is parting a community which is something you should avoid in a MMO setting.

When you have cake, it is not the cake that creates the most magnificent of experiences, but it is the emotions attached to it.
    The cake is a lie.

The issue with P2W that I can see with this asset is that it can build basically player housing on planets weeks if not months before a regular player can afford it - This will lead to bases been build at the best spots (i.e. near the cities, fixed POIs) before any regular player has the chance to claim the spot.
    Renting is not an option here because orgs rather sit on their options on claims than just give (rent) it away.

To introduce a "game changer" ship and make it high priced and only accessible to a small crowd is parting a community which is something you should avoid in a MMO setting.
    I dont understand why you could not rent them. rent monthy, one time fee, rent to own.

just about anything in the known world we live in its possible to rent in theory.