Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

CitizenCon 2017 Keynote Address Reveals Planet-Sized Cities & More - Star Citizen Videos - MMORPG.co

2»

Comments

• MaxBaconMaxBacon Member LegendaryPosts: 7,766
    Tiamat64 said:
    Bigger isn't always better, really.
    That is correct and that is exactly the ideology they use.

Arccorp is obviously an earth sized planet so logically it can't and it won't be filled with procedural content falling in endless repetition, instead, they focus on certain areas of the planet where they mix the crafted stuff with the procedural stuff, what achieves one healthy balance.

Now if you watched it then you look at the 2nd Planet Hustron that you see more interiors, free roaming around the city, npcs around, that is where you can expect more of what you mentioned.

This is not the ideology of NMS or even ED, where the scale of things have a higher focus, that's why this stuff though backed up with procedural tech still is artist-driven.
    Gdemami
  • TalulaRoseTalulaRose Member RarePosts: 1,247
    "Bigger isn't always better, really."

"That is correct and that is exactly the ideology they use."

I think you 2 are talking about 2 different games.

SC has been billed as the biggest game of its kind with cutting edge tech that no AAA has the balls to create. They have gone with bigger than everything right out the gate. And atm are stumbling and its getting harder and harder for them to catch themselves.
    "Bigger isn't always better, really."

"That is correct and that is exactly the ideology they use."

I think you 2 are talking about 2 different games.

SC has been billed as the biggest game of its kind with cutting edge tech that no AAA has the balls to create. They have gone with bigger than everything right out the gate. And atm are stumbling and its getting harder and harder for them to catch themselves.
    Missed the point. When I say "bigger" and used NMS or even ED as the example I'm talking about the scale of the game world, not the scope in terms of features.

Space games that have a huge massive even 1:1 scale to Milky Way, that type of big, and that is the ideology SC does not follow, even when they created one city planet as it shows it still is focused on the handcrafted areas and content, the procedural part is there to back that up.
    Gdemami
  • SamhaelSamhael Member RarePosts: 1,498

Kootur said:

We'll all be collecting Social Security before this game is released.

I'll consider myself lucky if there's anything left in social security by the time I retire.
    MadFrenchie
  • RhimeRhime Member UncommonPosts: 283
    Luv it! Keep it going CIG until it's done...You'll all be playing when it's released whether it's science fact or social security blah, blah, blah.
  • ErillionErillion Member EpicPosts: 10,297
    Tiamat64 said:
    Yea, if they actually had actual planet-sized cities in a game with multiple planets, that'd spread the player base incredibly thin even if Star Citizen was super successful (which I find doubtful considering that it's open PvP and that's ALWAYS niche.  Well, MAYBE unless it's in Korea but Star Citizen is not a Korean game and even that seems to be relegated to just a few Korean titles).

Are they going to fill those planet-sized cities with actual content?  A quest around every corner?  NPCs in every block?  Stores and furniture and buildings that are actually interactable everywhere?  In a planet-sized city in a game with multiple planets per system across multiple systems?  Are there even enough players in the friggin' WORLD to make use of all that stuff?

Bigger isn't always better, really.
    Only ONE planet (=ArcCorp) is a planet wide city a la Trantor or Coruscant.

Content is generated as needed when a player takes a mission.  Nothing is generated if there is no one to see it.

Players see each other at the star ports, the bars where the mission givers are, the ship shops, customs, jump points etc.

Have fun

Gdemami
  • NitemareMMONitemareMMO Member UncommonPosts: 239
    edited October 2017

Rhime said:

Luv it! Keep it going CIG until it's done...You'll all be playing when it's released whether it's science fact or social security blah, blah, blah.

Yeah keep going CIG, milk 'em for what they are worth. Who knows when the next fanatic will be born.
  • kinkyJalepenokinkyJalepeno Member UncommonPosts: 1,044
    Meanwhile we have this new ship for sale - only $800
    Meanwhile we backers are approaching 1.9 million registered "Star Citizens", of with many are also fellow backers with pledge packages (most of them starter packages, some of them with more).

A great community that regularily meets in the real world - "Bar Citizen" Events worldwide :-)

http://barcitizen.sc/

Have fun
    Gdemami
  • CrazKanukCrazKanuk Member EpicPosts: 6,130
    tomek2626 said:

Erillion said:

>>> but Chris Roberts wanted to create a universe... >>>

That is EXACTLY the reason why i backed Star Citizen.

And still support this project.

Have fun

Erillion said:

Have fun

RATHER SEND HIS KIDS TO GOOD SCHOOL GETING CASH FROM LOSERS L;IKE YOU THSI GAME IS ONE BIG LIE I WIL NOT BE SUPRISED IF IT NEVER GO OUT AND ENS WHIT BIG FLOP AND SCANDAL

All the yelling! I can't help but feel like this guy is Russian. Read it with a Russian accept, and in all caps, and you tell me any differently. 

Crazkanuk

----------------
    Azarelos - 90 Hunter - Emerald
    Durnzig - 90 Paladin - Emerald
    Demonicron - 90 Death Knight - Emerald Dream - US
    Tankinpain - 90 Monk - Azjol-Nerub - US
    Brindell - 90 Warrior - Emerald Dream - US
    ----------------

• HashbrickHashbrick Member RarePosts: 1,851
    I love Star Citizen, it's the biggest and largest community retardation test/survey ever designed. How long can you tag along a pure fanatic, while taking their money? It really is amazing to see!
    [[ DEAD ]] - Funny - I deleted my account on the site using the cancel account button.  Forum user is separate and still exists with no way of deleting it. Delete it admins. Do it, this ends now.
  • Dr_BinksDr_Binks Member UncommonPosts: 271

Zandog said:

2013 backer with over $1400 pledged, definitely a patient fan boy but also willing to hear and give logical criticism.

We saw planet tech at last year's 2016 CitizenCon. We knew procedural tech was already working. We didn't need another CitizenCon to prove it. Many backers were expecting actual GAMEPLAY to be shown this year. Anything that is suppose to appear in alpha 3.0 would have made a better show. A simple trade run cargo mission from ArcCorp to Hurston would have been far more impressive than showing how they were able to create new procedural planets. Yeah, it was awesome, seamless planet to planet travel, innovative tools to help them build out, but what was missing was Alpha 3.0. Which says a few things about where we are in perceived development.

I came away impressed with the size, scope and possibilities of the games realm. I however, saw nothing that constitutes what it exactly is, we do in that realm. I know it's coming. I realize it's not ready yet but when we're on year 5 of development, even after we knew they had to start over on many elements of the game, expecting a 2020 release has become delusional. Just my opinion.

Like you I am a backer from the very beginning and I have over time become less of a fanboy because of what I see as just nothing but hype! It seems all they ever show is new ships (something more to sell) and CGI stuff. Where is the real game play? They have to have some real test missions by now,,,,, I mean it has been 5 years but do we ever really see that?? NO and no scripted CitizenCon events,,,, they do not count!

Sure what they are doing is impressive and it's nice to see they continue to add new items and ideas to their game but at some point it must become a game and not just a concept. At some point CR needs to let this project get out of its concept phase which SC seems to be stuck in.
  • ConstantineMerusConstantineMerus Member EpicPosts: 3,338
    CrazKanuk said:
    tomek2626 said:

Erillion said:

Have fun

Erillion said:

Have fun

RATHER SEND HIS KIDS TO GOOD SCHOOL GETING CASH FROM LOSERS L;IKE YOU THSI GAME IS ONE BIG LIE I WIL NOT BE SUPRISED IF IT NEVER GO OUT AND ENS WHIT BIG FLOP AND SCANDAL

All the yelling! I can't help but feel like this guy is Russian. Read it with a Russian accept, and in all caps, and you tell me any differently. 
    I bet he's Polish. 
    Constantine, The Console Poster

• "One of the most difficult tasks men can perform, however much others may despise it, is the invention of good games and it cannot be done by men out of touch with their instinctive selves." - Carl Jung
  • ArglebargleArglebargle Member EpicPosts: 3,396
    Erillion said:
    Meanwhile we backers are approaching 1.9 million registered "Star Citizens", of with many are also fellow backers with pledge packages (most of them starter packages, some of them with more).

A great community that regularily meets in the real world - "Bar Citizen" Events worldwide :-)

Have fun
    That 'spin' is just beneath you.   The Evile One and his minions are surely included in that number.  Goons.  People who've gotten refunds.  The disaffected.   I registered once, just to take a look.  

While the dedicated fans (ie, spent money) are considerable, trotting out that bloated claim is just political/marketing blather.  Though marketing blather is what the CIG organization is best at.  Not even joking there.

If you are holding out for the perfect game, the only game you play will be the waiting one.

• SEANMCADSEANMCAD Member EpicPosts: 16,775
    Erillion said:

Have fun
    That 'spin' is just beneath you.   The Evile One and his minions are surely included in that number.  Goons.  People who've gotten refunds.  The disaffected.   I registered once, just to take a look.  

While the dedicated fans (ie, spent money) are considerable, trotting out that bloated claim is just political/marketing blather.  Though marketing blather is what the CIG organization is best at.  Not even joking there.
    ironic how those that are 'spending the money' are also the ones who in part can make it happen while the critics who dont spend money are doing everything they can to make sure it doesnt

Please do not respond to me, even if I ask you a question, its rhetorical.

Please do not respond to me

Erillion said:

Have fun

Must be hard to accept that the vast majority of those 1.9 million people are interested fans.

And that hundredthousands of them are fan enough to pledge a total sum of 163 M$.

The Goons had less than 500 in their org last time i looked. That is significantly less than one tenth of a percent. How many are in the refund reddit ? 1500 ish ?

With all the people attending Bar Citizen events worldwide and having fun, who cares about Goons in Star Citizen ? The good times of Goons singing great self composed songs in pubs is long gone. Together with their Titans - and their leaders who stole those Titans. And sang those songs. Food for thought !

Have fun
    SEANMCAD said:
    ironic how those that are 'spending the money' are also the ones who in part can make it happen while the critics who dont spend money are doing everything they can to make sure it doesnt
    I consider myself as a crowdfunding backer also a "promoter" of this crowdfunding project. Just like the wikipedia definition of a crowdfunding backer says:

"...The inputs of the individuals in the crowd trigger the crowdfunding process and influence the ultimate value of the offerings or outcomes of the process. Each individual acts as an agent of the offering, selecting and promoting the projects in which they believe...."

Some call backers that do that "shills" - those people who say that have not fully understood the concept of crowdfunding yet. That crowdfunding does not end with giving some pledge money. That backers help to make an idea possible. Help to transform an idea into reality.

Have fun
    Gdemami
    Massaging the numbers again.   'Cause everyone who got a refund posted in the reddit?  All refunds are equal?  Are you saying there were only 500 goons in Eve?  Etc.   What we know is that that number is claimed as the registrations on their site.  That's it.

The hundred thousand+ or so who've ponied up money are the bragging point.  (And a decent enough number to be real happy about.)   Personally, I think it's exuberance bordering on foolishness, based on past history, but as always, ymmv.

If you are holding out for the perfect game, the only game you play will be the waiting one.

edited October 2017
    Massaging the numbers again.   'Cause everyone who got a refund posted in the reddit?  All refunds are equal?  Are you saying there were only 500 goons in Eve?  Etc.   What we know is that that number is claimed as the registrations on their site.  That's it.
    All of that is irrelevant, it's nothing but logical to call this stuff out as minorities. Hell even the active section of the entire community is a minority of its totals.

The shiny numbers always exist, we always see MMO's claiming millions of players that is the highest possible statistic, number of registrations, but it's obviously a cumulative number.
    MaxBacon said:
    All of that is irrelevant, it's nothing but logical to call this stuff out as minorities. Hell even the active section of the entire community is a minority of its totals. Loud minorities always speak up louder than the silent majority, applies here and in many other scenarios.
    Well, reasonable response....   

The silent majority is people who haven't bought ships or packages.   

As always, there's a core of fans who think the development is led by an innovative genius.  I think it's led by an egotistical yahoo.  They can put up all the pretty CGI they want (Roberts has a very cinematic mindset); until these ships, cities, and planets show up where they can be played by most interested folks, I don't believe their claims.  It's good they've got stuff up to the Evocati, but we'll see how 3.0 actually turns out on the regular test server.  Eventually.   

The silent majority is people who haven't bought ships or packages.   
    *within* the actual community of people who backed, not the whole thing, that would still be the case.
    Progress is made.

Not as fast as i would like.

Not as slow as some people claim.

C'est la vie.

Have fun
  • FlyByKnightFlyByKnight Member EpicPosts: 3,967
    If I'm a vocal minority what are the 2 names I write on a piece of paper that show up for every... single... SC thread... EVER?

"As far as the forum code of conduct, I would think it's a bit outdated and in need of a refre *CLOSED*" 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • Azaron_NightbladeAzaron_Nightblade Member EpicPosts: 4,829
    That is so fucking beautiful.
    It's like how Coruscant or Nar Shaddaa are meant to be, but will never actually be in a Star Wars MMO... *sheds a tear*

My SWTOR referral link for those wanting to give the game a try. (Newbies get a welcome package while returning players get a few account upgrades to help with their preferred status.)

https://www.ashesofcreation.com/ref/Callaron/