Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Citizencon 2017: Procedural Cities & other highlights

Comments

• MaxBaconMaxBacon Member LegendaryPosts: 7,766
    Interview with Chris Roberts this citcon:

1. Q: Recently you said - we will have 5-10 star systems on the release, can you name this systems? A: No, because it was sort of misquote, so what i was said - now you're paying 40-50 dollars and you can play, but the game don't have all the features and it's not at planned scale. But what i was meaning - when we can say that game on the level on the first "release", when all main features are in game, at least on the basic level, you will probably have 5-10 systems. And i didn't mean, that we will have only 5-10 systems on the release.

2. Q: Is there any limitations of number of NPC's that we can hire? A: I'm sure there will be some limitation, we didn't decided about it yet. So in Squadron we have all this NPC, manning turrets, repairing ships, cleaning floors and that what will be carried across to the PU, so you will have fully needed stuff, and we will probably limit this number, just for performance. So, we'll probably not allow you to have thousand NPC's because of framerate.

3. Q: Should we pay some fee for our ships in hangar that we don't use? A: So, one day, when you will be able to have a few hangars in different locations, you will need to pay fee, but not for your "home" hangar, only on others that you might have.

4. Q: What's the current plans of after-release monetization? Like, you said, you will only sell UEC after the release. A - and also a game packages Q - Yeah, so, do you really think that this will support game for a long time? A: I dont know. Our plan, that you bought game package and that is the only you should pay. And we have a subscriptions, that allow us to make AtV's and stuff, and generally this is our plan, but we'll see how it goes.

5. Q: How deep loot will go? Can we take all armor from killed enemy? A: Yes. You will be able to full-loot your killed enemy.

6. Q: Ship crashes - you still have a plans for derelicts being generated by players? A: Definitely. We will have derelicts placed by our team, but we will also have derelicts created by players. But, at some point, when there is too much stuff in this zone, we will start clean it.

7. Q: And if i crashed on planet, will it be physically performanced, like a trail of sand behind a ship? A: So, when ship crashed, it will be there for some period of time, and there will be details, like a trail, wreckage and stuff, that will go away faster than main body.
  • SEANMCADSEANMCAD Member EpicPosts: 16,775
    so you can rent ships?!

Please do not respond to me, even if I ask you a question, its rhetorical.

Please do not respond to me

SEANMCAD said:
    so you can rent ships?!
    Not confirmed, it has several factors in, buying from the game, renting from the game, from other players, or just making use of ships in a fleet of one Organization. Until they start work on that stuff there won't be confirmed specifics.
    edited October 2017
    MaxBacon said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    so you can rent ships?!
    Not confirmed, it has several factors in, buying from the game, renting from the game, from other players, or just making use of ships in a fleet of one Organization. Until they start work on that stuff there won't be confirmed specifics.
    I heard CR say 'ship you can buy or rent' in the video
    I wonder what the details are on renting. I could see how that could be really useful getting new players a good start

SEANMCAD said:
    I wonder what the details are on renting. I could see how that could be really useful getting new players a good start
    Can you give a timestamp? I missed that
    MaxBacon said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    Can you give a timestamp? I missed that
    11:38 when he starts the video with the ship in the background on display. He doesnt go into details just says 'here where you can find a ship you can buy or rent'

SEANMCAD said:
    11:38 when he starts the video with the ship in the background on display. He doesnt go into details just says 'here where you can find a ship you can buy or rent'
    Yeah you're correct it's actually 12:26 "beyond 3.0 we're going add the ability to buy or lease ships..."

The new thing mentioned there is indeed lease, buying ships in-game was already stated for a while, no details on both yet.
    MaxBacon said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    Yeah you're correct it's actually 12:26 "beyond 3.0 we're going add the ability to buy or lease ships..."

The new thing mentioned there is indeed lease, buying ships in-game was already stated for a while, no details on both yet.
    I would think leasing a ship is one way they could balance the game for new players vs people who already own ships before the game even starts.

SEANMCAD said:
    I would think leasing a ship is one way they could balance the game for new players vs people who already own ships before the game even starts.
    It would be deff a quick alternative to play with a ship without having to own it. I would imagine if they want the actual ownership to require a decent time investment then this would be the way new players would work with.
  • TalulaRoseTalulaRose Member RarePosts: 1,247
    Lease a digital asset...really

Not only do you get to buy the game, you get the privilege of giving them a monthly lease for a ship....not even a sub that allows access to many ships.

Never seen people throw money away like this before.
    Odeezee
  • ArglebargleArglebargle Member EpicPosts: 3,395
    "What's the current plans of after-release monetization? Like, you said, you will only sell UEC after the release. A - and also a game packages Q - Yeah, so, do you really think that this will support game for a long time? A: I dont know. Our plan, that you bought game package and that is the only you should pay. And we have a subscriptions, that allow us to make AtV's and stuff, and generally this is our plan, but we'll see how it goes."

After-release Monetization?  "I don't know.....we'll see how it goes"  -  Chris Roberts

Of course, that's Roberts' planning methodology on most everything, imo.

Odeezee

If you are holding out for the perfect game, the only game you play will be the waiting one.

Not only do you get to buy the game, you get the privilege of giving them a monthly lease for a ship....not even a sub that allows access to many ships.

wait.....renting a ship to you sounds absurd?

renting a ship? i am of course talking in game world money, renting a ship...that sounds odd to you?

Do you realize the ability to buy and lease ships are here in the context of the IN-GAME currency?!

Too quick to jump into the wrong assumption.
    Odeezee
    edited October 2017
    Marco Corbetta, the engineer who is responsible for the Procedural Tech front in Star Citizen, relating exactly to this tech they shown in Citcon for cities, this is what he created years ago:

Fun on old comments "the guy who made this is now working on Star Citizen! presumably trying to make procedural cities in that game"

If it wasn't for Crytek struggles closing down studios in 2014/15 this guy and several other engineers wouldn't have joined CIG, glad they did haha
    OdeezeeGdemami
  • TalonsinTalonsin Member EpicPosts: 3,619
    MaxBacon said:
    Interview with Chris Roberts this citcon:

1. Q: Recently you said - we will have 5-10 star systems on the release, can you name this systems? A: No, because it was sort of misquote, so what i was said - now you're paying 40-50 dollars and you can play, but the game don't have all the features and it's not at planned scale. But what i was meaning - when we can say that game on the level on the first "release", when all main features are in game, at least on the basic level, you will probably have 5-10 systems. And i didn't mean, that we will have only 5-10 systems on the release.

2. Q: Is there any limitations of number of NPC's that we can hire? A: I'm sure there will be some limitation, we didn't decided about it yet. So in Squadron we have all this NPC, manning turrets, repairing ships, cleaning floors and that what will be carried across to the PU, so you will have fully needed stuff, and we will probably limit this number, just for performance. So, we'll probably not allow you to have thousand NPC's because of framerate.

3. Q: Should we pay some fee for our ships in hangar that we don't use? A: So, one day, when you will be able to have a few hangars in different locations, you will need to pay fee, but not for your "home" hangar, only on others that you might have.

4. Q: What's the current plans of after-release monetization? Like, you said, you will only sell UEC after the release. A - and also a game packages Q - Yeah, so, do you really think that this will support game for a long time? A: I dont know. Our plan, that you bought game package and that is the only you should pay. And we have a subscriptions, that allow us to make AtV's and stuff, and generally this is our plan, but we'll see how it goes.

5. Q: How deep loot will go? Can we take all armor from killed enemy? A: Yes. You will be able to full-loot your killed enemy.

6. Q: Ship crashes - you still have a plans for derelicts being generated by players? A: Definitely. We will have derelicts placed by our team, but we will also have derelicts created by players. But, at some point, when there is too much stuff in this zone, we will start clean it.

7. Q: And if i crashed on planet, will it be physically performanced, like a trail of sand behind a ship? A: So, when ship crashed, it will be there for some period of time, and there will be details, like a trail, wreckage and stuff, that will go away faster than main body.
    I dont remember Chris' English being so bad.  Is this just a bad transcription?

Stuff like:

so what i was said
    But what i was meaning
    when we can say that game on the level on the first "release"

"Sean (Murray) saying MP will be in the game is not remotely close to evidence that at the point of purchase people thought there was MP in the game."  - SEANMCAD

edited October 2017
    Talonsin said:
    I dont remember Chris' English being so bad.  Is this just a bad transcription?

Stuff like:

so what i was said
    But what i was meaning
    when we can say that game on the level on the first "release"
    The text is someone who took the time to translate that Q&A from the video yes. It's not from relay and such that does so more professionally

The discount for the starter packages. 
    ErillionBabuinix
  • BabuinixBabuinix Member EpicPosts: 4,265
    MaxBacon said:

The discount for the starter packages. 
    Nice. Got 3 for the nephews.

Babuinix said:
    It's not much, but ofc the times where SQ42+SC were as low as 20$ are gone, so gg 
  • ErillionErillion Member EpicPosts: 10,297
    edited November 2017
    MaxBacon said:
    Babuinix said:
    It's not much, but ofc the times where SQ42+SC were as low as 20$ are gone, so gg 
    Those 20 bucks were only for SC. SQ42 not included if memory serves right.

Have fun
    edited November 2017
    Erillion said:

Have fun
    I thiink before the split that is, way before
  • ErillionErillion Member EpicPosts: 10,297
    edited November 2017
    MaxBacon said:
    Erillion said:

Have fun
    I thiink before the split that is, way before
    It was before the split. An X-mas holiday promotional offer.

After the split they clarified (if i remember correctly) that it was only for SC, not SQ42.

BUT i may be wrong and thinking about that AMD promotional offer. One of these two is only SC and not SQ42.

Have fun
    Erillion said:
    It was before the split. An X-mas holiday promotional offer.

After the split they clarified (if i remember correctly) that it was only for SC, not SQ42.

BUT i may be wrong and thinking about that AMD promotional offer. One of these two is only SC and not SQ42.

Have fun
    Shortly before they did both for 30$ but I heard some long before that got the normal sc/sq42 for 20 bucks, I just don't know how gg
  • Tiamat64Tiamat64 Member RarePosts: 1,545
    edited November 2017
    "What's the current plans of after-release monetization? Like, you said, you will only sell UEC after the release. A - and also a game packages Q - Yeah, so, do you really think that this will support game for a long time? A: I dont know. Our plan, that you bought game package and that is the only you should pay. And we have a subscriptions, that allow us to make AtV's and stuff, and generally this is our plan, but we'll see how it goes."

After-release Monetization?  "I don't know.....we'll see how it goes"  -  Chris Roberts

Of course, that's Roberts' planning methodology on most everything, imo.

It's an open-PvP full-loot buy-to-play game.  As no modern full loot open-PvP full-loot game (or at least, no western one) has ever been more than niche (especially one that isn't Free-to-Play), It's going to be almost impossible to get enough player base for any monetization model that doesn't rely on whales (even if you're going to argue that Eve's model doesn't rely on whales despite their recent monetization releases implying otherwise, Eve at the very least has a subscription model which they said in that answer that they wouldn't be using and instead that it'll just be buy-to-play)
    edited November 2017
    Tiamat64 said:
    It's an open-PvP full-loot buy-to-play game.  
    You don't know that, you're speculating that. The fact they'll have it does not mean that will be the setup of the game, example: PvP and PvE servers, or even optional stuff, because the long-lasting discussion about the "PvP Slider" is far from over, it forces a different approach because of the higher scale network model they decided to pursue.

A lot of stuff still to be fleshed out on this area.