Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The 10 Most Wanted MMOs of 2018 - The List - MMORPG.com

Comments

• AlomarAlomar Member RarePosts: 1,299
    Next time do a week long poll on the question at-hand, total the results, and write an article about it. Otherwise, this is just an opinion and the title incorrectly describes what's being listed.
    DavodtheTutt
    Haxus Council Member
    21  year MMO veteran 
    PvP Raid Leader 
    Lover of The Witcher & CD Projekt Red
  • Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    What? No Star Citizen? :)
    OzmodanGkarr

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• MaxBaconMaxBacon Member LegendaryPosts: 7,766
    edited October 2017
    I noticed, some weird terms they used to place games there, I guess they consider some sort of alpha/beta/release expected in 2018 to set that list, so that would exclude SC being already playable in alpha.

Though deff more anticipated than games listed like Phanteon, CU, CoE, AoC and Crowfall. 

Also interesting how Crowdfunding literally dominates this list.
  • Azaron_NightbladeAzaron_Nightblade Member EpicPosts: 4,829
    How can CoE.. which has a current ETA for the end of 2019.. be on the "Most Wanted MMOs of 2018" list?

WTF?
    Lol, that was my reaction too. Half of that list are games for 2019 and beyond. And that's being generous. Kinda figured it'd be more hyping of Kickstarter games though.

To be fair to the author though... this is one particular case where I don't think I could've done any better... there's so few new MMO's coming out that I can see why they went with the "any ten will do" approach.
    Kyleran

My SWTOR referral link for those wanting to give the game a try. (Newbies get a welcome package while returning players get a few account upgrades to help with their preferred status.)

https://www.ashesofcreation.com/ref/Callaron/

edited October 2017
    Mikeha said:
    /SMH

Bless should be #1 because its actually confirmed for 2018.

Crowfall might be confirmed too but not sure. LOL at the expansions.
    I pretty much skimmed over the rest after seeing how low Bless, the only MMO on that list that isn't BS promises or pure speculation, got ranked. These lists get worse every time. xD
    JamesGoblinOzmodan

My SWTOR referral link for those wanting to give the game a try. (Newbies get a welcome package while returning players get a few account upgrades to help with their preferred status.)

• MurmaiderMurmaider Member UncommonPosts: 123
    What!? No mention of the Destiny 2 DLC!?

Only kidding.
    I will say that 2018 doest look to have much going for it.

I look forward to CU, but I feel I will be slightly disappointed.
    Only because I'm guilty of holding out hopes for a feeling like a DAoC2, but know no matter what comes, nothing can recreate the shock and awe the first game gave me
    JamesGoblin
  • samzusamzu Member UncommonPosts: 6
    SC will be on the year 2037 list with a phrase: "Star citizens alpha 74.0 is now coming to an end and will be entering closed beta 1.0".
    JamesGoblinRobsolfOctagon7711
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    After reading that list all I can say is I'm glad my Steam and GOG libraries are well stocked with many titles to play.
    RobsolfConstantineMerusMadFrenchieHarikenOctagon7711

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

Torval said:
    Will it have public access? I think that's the defining factor in released in this article. It's really the foundation for any title release. Can the public access it normally? I think by the end of the year most or all of those games will have some sort of general access state that doesn't require a massive backer package.

On that list I'm looking forward to ESO and Ashes with Camelot Unchained and Bless as tentative. I'm only going to play the heavy duty grouping games if I find people committed to playing for a few months first which is why CU and Bless are tentative and Pantheon and the rest of that type are on the wait and see list.
    It already has, earlier or not so nothing special happens in that aspect, maybe if they announced the beta for next year but nope, so stands as it is.

I myself wait for several on that list, but I don't expect most of them in 2018, some alpha and betas releasing sure.
    JamesGoblin
  • CapodecinaCapodecina Member UncommonPosts: 30
    Greed and pleasing the masses killed the mmorpg genre. You can buy an island plot in crowfall for 4500$ Wich is ridiculous.
    JamesGoblinDavodtheTuttHariken
  • JamesGoblinJamesGoblin Member RarePosts: 1,242
    Greed and pleasing the masses killed the mmorpg genre. You can buy an island plot in crowfall for 4500$ Wich is ridiculous.
    I partly agree with you, but Crowfall is quite bad example for that one. I mean, OK you can buy that plot (which, oh by the way, noone is doing) and then do...what?
     W...aaagh?
  • OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726
    What we need is a list of proposed MMO's that will never see the light of day.  You can bet some of these on this list would be on that list!
    Kyleran
  • RobsolfRobsolf Member RarePosts: 4,607

Torval said:

Mikeha said:

/SMH

Crowfall might be confirmed too but not sure.

LOL at the expansions.

I pretty much skimmed over the rest after seeing how low Bless, the only MMO on that list that isn't BS promises or pure speculation, got ranked. These lists get worse every time. xD

I don't think the particular order is the important point or what the state of release the game is in. If Suzie put her personal fave on the top I would guess it to be the WoW xpac, not Crowfall or Bless.

Here's a list of games that will be offering some sort of release state next year. It gives the reader an opportunity to comment on what they're looking forward to and how they plan on participating. But as usual we get hung up on the semantics of "what released means" and the order of the list and whether a game qualifies by genre definition instead of discussing the games themselves and how we'll play them.

I think it's the quality comments that is getting worse over time.

I think the list should be ordered by the max level your character can reach at launch; all other orders are just lamerzzz. ;)

Well, it looks more and more like the "MMO elite gamers" are getting what they wanted. The big money is leaving the MMO segment, yet there are still some old school vet developers out there trying to make good games. I'd think the elite would be crapping their pantheons in anticipation...
    [Deleted User]
    Torval said:
    Mikeha said:
    /SMH

Crowfall might be confirmed too but not sure. LOL at the expansions.
    I don't think the particular order is the important point or what the state of release the game is in. If Suzie put her personal fave on the top I would guess it to be the WoW xpac, not Crowfall or Bless.

Here's a list of games that will be offering some sort of release state next year. It gives the reader an opportunity to comment on what they're looking forward to and how they plan on participating. But as usual we get hung up on the semantics of "what released means" and the order of the list and whether a game qualifies by genre definition instead of discussing the games themselves and how we'll play them.

I think it's the quality comments that is getting worse over time.
    For some reason I thought the list was numbered... until I went to look at it again after reading your comment (I was about to say, then why on Earth give them numbers at all). Not that bad then on second thought. Still meh on the titles though.
    [Deleted User]

• ConstantineMerusConstantineMerus Member EpicPosts: 3,338
    Let's give math another chance, eh?

Non-crowdfunded titles:
    - Project W
    - BLESS
    - New World
    - World of Warcraft: Next Expansion
    - ESO: Next Chapter
    -------------------------
    5 games in total

Crowdfunded titles:
    - Chronicles of Elyria
    - Pantheon: Rise of the Fallen
    - Camelot Unchained
    - Ashes of Creation
    - Crowfall
    5 games in total

Now excuse me, I am a little slow. But how the fuck this list is dominated by crowdfunded games?! And consider they have listed every single AAA MMO in development, even brought on expansions and freaking DLCs to not to fill their list with crowdfunded projects, and yet people nag about ...

[Deleted User]Kyleran
    Constantine, The Console Poster

• "One of the most difficult tasks men can perform, however much others may despise it, is the invention of good games and it cannot be done by men out of touch with their instinctive selves." - Carl Jung
  • MoiraeMoirae Member RarePosts: 3,318
    *shrugs* Not interested in a single one. 
    DavodtheTutt
    Now excuse me, I am a little slow. But how the fuck this list is dominated by crowdfunded games?! And consider they have listed every single AAA MMO in development, even brought on expansions and freaking DLCs to not to fill their list with crowdfunded projects, and yet people nag about ...
    O_o I didn't do the math the first thing that popped when seeing the list was many crowdfunded titles as the most anticipated MMOs.

Independent of the exact stats, it still is huge comparing to the past, that today crowdfunded MMOs represent so much of what is being expected in the future within the genre.
    Azaron_Nightblade
  • WarlyxWarlyx Member EpicPosts: 3,363
    is really pantheon going to be released in 2018? Oo
  • postlarvalpostlarval Member EpicPosts: 2,003
    For the first time ever, there is not even one on that list I have any interest in playing.

Single-player, we are about to become friends again.

• ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
    edited October 2017
    lol... Is this a joke , so a list that has 8 games that most likely will not release in 18 and 2 exp that may...
    Wishful thinking at best , for any of those 8 to be in any kind of enjoyable playable state in 18 ... ya know .. counting chickens and all
    Ozmodan
  • ConstantineMerusConstantineMerus Member EpicPosts: 3,338
    MaxBacon said:
    O_o I didn't do the math the first thing that popped when seeing the list was many crowdfunded titles as the most anticipated MMOs.

Independent of the exact stats, it still is huge comparing to the past, that today crowdfunded MMOs represent so much of what is being expected in the future within the genre.
    If there were many MMORPGs under development by AAA companies then we wouldn't be having all these crowdfunded ones going on. Out of those 5, 2 are expansions, 2 are Korean and only 1 is actually a game being developed in the west right now. 
    Constantine, The Console Poster

• "One of the most difficult tasks men can perform, however much others may despise it, is the invention of good games and it cannot be done by men out of touch with their instinctive selves." - Carl Jung
  • RobsolfRobsolf Member RarePosts: 4,607
    edited October 2017

Let's give math another chance, eh?

Non-crowdfunded titles:
    - Project W
    - BLESS
    - New World
    - World of Warcraft: Next Expansion
    - ESO: Next Chapter
    5 games in total

Crowdfunded titles:
    - Chronicles of Elyria
    - Pantheon: Rise of the Fallen
    - Camelot Unchained
    - Ashes of Creation
    - Crowfall
    5 games in total

The big money is leaving, for better or worse. And the smaller studios flat out don't have the money, nor the bank support to make a big MMO, so they go to crowdfunding. MMO's have always been a massive risk, but lenders and investors used to look at "WOW level" success as a pretty good possibility. Now, they know better.

Normally the best path would be to make a good, SMALL but solid MMO and grow it based on revenue. But there's still a massive up front capital requirement, and competing with games that have years if not over a decade of content built... it's a steep hill to climb.
    ConstantineMerus[Deleted User]Ozmodan
    If there were many MMORPGs under development by AAA companies then we wouldn't be having all these crowdfunded ones going on. Out of those 5, 2 are expansions, 2 are Korean and only 1 is actually a game being developed in the west right now. 
    Yeah, the way I see it, Crowfunded MMOs are just filling a demand, as the concept of "AAA" MMO is almost a mirage these days.

Then what wears people down is the "more of the same", as the Korean grinders, while crowdfunded MMOs are attempting to pull of different ideas and designs.
    RobsolfConstantineMerus
  • FlyByKnightFlyByKnight Member EpicPosts: 3,967
    The lack of Star Citizen jokes in this thread is troubling...
    [Deleted User]Ozmodan
    "As far as the forum code of conduct, I would think it's a bit outdated and in need of a refre *CLOSED*" 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • postlarvalpostlarval Member EpicPosts: 2,003
    The lack of Star Citizen jokes in this thread is troubling...
    Some of us have stopped giving a shit. 
    Kyleran